Hawks 1st round pick watch

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stonecold
SS Life Member

Re: Hawks 1st round pick watch

It will be traded anyway, but the better the pick, the more currency!!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
ace
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote:we're in the unusual position in round 6 of needing a win to improve our draft position!
If we win round 6 we improve Hawthorn's first round draft pick - that's our's.
If we lose round 6 we improve St Kilda's first round draft pick - that's our's

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I think last week we all underestimated the genius that is Richo. By manufacturing a narrow win against Brisbane he kept Brisbane's percentage in tact and that will eventually give us pick 1. Richo you genius

Rosco
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:we're in the unusual position in round 6 of needing a win to improve our draft position!
unusual but not unfortunate which is fortunate, but not if we lose.

SaintAndrew
Club Player

ace wrote:
Possibly, best case scenario would be a draw with the hawks.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

SemperFidelis wrote:I don't think we can ever say "he left". We traded him while he was on some tropical island. He might have said yes, but did he have a choice? Of all of the blokes out there I'm not sure he needs to learn any humility.

It just puts a more human face on the cracks.

Now, bring on the Weagles to belt the crap out of them.
Of course he could have said no. He didn't and from memory he was more than happy to go to the hawks.

As I said, stuff him. Serves him right.

Only thing in his favour is that he was left in the hands of that hawthorn prick we had at the time who was determined to fill the gaps that the hawks had in their list.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:It will be traded anyway, but the better the pick, the more currency!!!!!!
I doubt that we would trade away the no 1 pick. Or are we that stupid?

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
stonecold wrote:It will be traded anyway, but the better the pick, the more currency!!!!!!
I doubt that we would trade away the no 1 pick. Or are we that stupid?
depends - i'd trade them both for Martin or Fyfe if needed.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Do not agree

Two first round picks possibly top 10 picks, sets you up for a decade. Take them to the draft and if you want a free agent get one you don't have to trade for eg rocky.

Rocky and two top 10 picks is the go vs 1 dusty or Fyfe

#1 Ryder fan
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
The Stephen Covey Cup..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:Do not agree

Two first round picks possibly top 10 picks, sets you up for a decade. Take them to the draft and if you want a free agent get one you don't have to trade for eg rocky.

Such a narrow minded, risk adverse approach. Dusty or Fyfe is a no brainer for pick 1. People cannot remove the romance and over exaggerated hope that comes with draft picks. Every year on average 4 out of the top 10 are duds, traded, don't live up to any expecatation.

Having top picks are great - but being to scared to trade is not.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Based on your deep inside knowledge?
Like we are getting Hurley and Heppell?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Neither Fyfe or Martin will be available.
Jesus Christ.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Neither Fyfe or Martin will be available.
Jesus Christ.
We could probably slot him into full forward

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
loris wrote:In hindsight, moving both Mitchell & Lewis on at the same time might have done untold damage to the culture of the 'Family Club'.
Players like Burgoyne, Gibson, maybe Cyril and even Hodge, may query is it worth busting our gut out for this Club, they will possibly ditch us at the end of this season even if we don't want to go.

Yes they are an aging & slowing list, but when you weaken the bonding/culture at a club cracks start to appear. Makes it harder for players to digest when the Club gets rid of respected teammates to free up salary space to overpay players from other Clubs.

Hope they keep disintegrating as their first round draft pick is looking better for us with every game.
Loris, did you see Benny Mac walking off the ground in tears today? It was the only thing that put a (small) dent in my glee.

I think they've done untold damage to their club. A little too clever by half. And yes, I know they have their premiership cups to hug at night ...
Stuff him. He left, got to play in a premiership side.
Teach him a bit of humility.
You're a <<< MOD EDIT. POSTER WARNED FOR DEROGATORY PERSONAL POST>>> I know Ben's situation. He was devastated when he was traded. Was not even mentioned as a possibility to him before he left to go on a holiday. No young player was more invested in the Saints at the time than Ben. Remember how he was mooted to be our next Captain? Do you think that would've happened if his team mates and the club didn't respect him? As for humility? Have you ever heard of Ben bagging the Saints?

I'm glad Ben left - for him and our club - Hickey is a better option and probably Longer too.

Go you red, black & white warriors
stonecold
SS Life Member

Jesus Christ.
Is he available????? Prob bit old in the tooth by now though, one too many Easters!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
suss
Club Player

Spinner wrote:

Such a narrow minded, risk adverse approach. Dusty or Fyfe is a no brainer for pick 1. People cannot remove the romance and over exaggerated hope that comes with draft picks. Every year on average 4 out of the top 10 are duds, traded, don't live up to any expecatation.

You know they're free agents right, so no need to give up anything? You could theoretically get both for "free" (I.e. No picks exchanged) if you had the cap space.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

I wouldn't call it narrow minded.

Probably more 'playing the percentages'.

I'd argue that it's narrow minded to just want Martin or Fyfe and assume they'll equal short term success for us - without considering many other factors that come with it.

1) Salary cap.
2) Current list (is it good enough?)
3) List requirements (does the player suit our needs?)
4) Short term (will we win the flag in the next year or two?)
5) Medium term (will we win the flag in the next 3-5 years?)
6) Long term (we will still be a chance to win the flag in 6-8 years?)

To go with the 'lock in Fyfe or Martin at any cost' approach would be a tick (IMO) for 3, 4 and maybe 5 (With Riewoldt and Montagna surely in their last or second last year's, a big chunk of what improvement Fyfe or Martin would bring would be balaned somewhat by their departure anyway. So how much medium gain would we really get?).
But a cross for 1 (obviously), 2 (as I don't think even with one of those guys we'd be good enough anyway) and 6.

To go with the option that described as a "narrow minded, risk adverse approach", IMO would be a tick for all 6 except for 4.

In a nutshell, even with a Martin or Fyfe, would we be good enough to win the the flag? I don't think so personally, particularly once Roo and Joey leave. Which means the question becomes - with Martin or Fyfe, would we win the flag next year? And I think the answer is no.

So I tend to think giving up pick 1 or even 2 x top 10 picks for one of those guys, is closer to a "narrow minded".

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

We need the best young mid fielders we can get ,
So that if were a chance next year their talented enough to be a minor part of it , eventually becoming the backbone of the team for the next 12 to 15 years .
Fyfe or martin are good for five years but then what ,
Nothing guarantee's a flag ( maybe GWS talent pool )

In red white and black from 73
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Agree that trading for an established elite player is a good plan. When trading for someone like Fyfe or Dusty though you do get a player at least half way through their career, not someone who could be a 250 or 300 gamer for the club.

The last 20 years of pick 1 :

1996 Michael Gardiner
1997 Travis Johnstone
1998 Des Headland
1999 Josh Fraser
2000 Nick Riewoldt
2001 Luke Hodge
2002 Brendon Goddard
2003 Adam Cooney
2004 Brett Deledio
2005 Marc Murphy
2006 Bryce Gibbs
2007 Matthew Kreuzer
2008 Jack Watts
2009 Tom Scully
2010 David Swallow
2011 Jonathon Patton
2012 Lachie Whitfield
2013 Tom Boyd
2014 Paddy McCartin
2015 Jacob Weitering
2016 Andrew McGrath

ace
Saintsational Legend

Jesus Christ.
Yeah JC would have made a great footballer but the Romans put holes in his hands so he can't mark and holes in his feet so he only kicks dribblers.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saintmatt wrote:
saynta wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:
loris wrote:In hindsight, moving both Mitchell & Lewis on at the same time might have done untold damage to the culture of the 'Family Club'.
Players like Burgoyne, Gibson, maybe Cyril and even Hodge, may query is it worth busting our gut out for this Club, they will possibly ditch us at the end of this season even if we don't want to go.

Yes they are an aging & slowing list, but when you weaken the bonding/culture at a club cracks start to appear. Makes it harder for players to digest when the Club gets rid of respected teammates to free up salary space to overpay players from other Clubs.

Hope they keep disintegrating as their first round draft pick is looking better for us with every game.
Loris, did you see Benny Mac walking off the ground in tears today? It was the only thing that put a (small) dent in my glee.

I think they've done untold damage to their club. A little too clever by half. And yes, I know they have their premiership cups to hug at night ...
You're <<< MOD EDIT. POSTER WARNED FOR DEROGATORY PERSONAL POST>>>. I know Ben's situation. He was devastated when he was traded. Was not even mentioned as a possibility to him before he left to go on a holiday. No young player was more invested in the Saints at the time than Ben. Remember how he was mooted to be our next Captain? Do you think that would've happened if his team mates and the club didn't respect him? As for humility? Have you ever heard of Ben bagging the Saints?

I'm glad Ben left - for him and our club - Hickey is a better option and probably Longer too.

Attack the post if you like, not the poster.

He could have said no. As I said stuff him. Tears from a grown man, for losing a footy match. What next? Pink panties?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
Jesus Christ.
Is he available????? Prob bit old in the tooth by now though, one too many Easters!!!!!
I don't know if you've heard, stonecold, but no one makes a comeback quite like JC!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
markp
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Saintmatt wrote:
saynta wrote:
SemperFidelis wrote:

You're <<< MOD EDIT. POSTER WARNED FOR DEROGATORY PERSONAL POST>>>. I know Ben's situation. He was devastated when he was traded. Was not even mentioned as a possibility to him before he left to go on a holiday. No young player was more invested in the Saints at the time than Ben. Remember how he was mooted to be our next Captain? Do you think that would've happened if his team mates and the club didn't respect him? As for humility? Have you ever heard of Ben bagging the Saints?

Attack the post if you like, not the poster.

He could have said no. As I said stuff him. Tears from a grown man, for losing a footy match. What next? Pink panties?
Effectively, he could not have said no.

I remember Ball, Max, Roo crying after losing games.

Funny that you went and cried to the mods about being called a dill.. didn't you post something about school prefect types the other day?

And really sad that calling someone a dill is deemed deserving of a warning (then having it edited out like something truly vile was said).

DJ Higgins
Club Player

I say wait until the end of the year and see what is available. I would take the two draft picks if it s a bumber year. As it is unlikely either us or hawks will come last we wont have to #1 draft tag hanging over us like with Paddy. Take the two young guns and most likely get a gun outside mid and another tall defender if possible in case Carisle gets injured