Gilbo

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Gilbo

Tony74 might need to justify why Gilbo keeps getting picked when he clearly has no skill but lots of heart.
He runs hard, works hard, gives great effort, but cannot execute.
Liability.
Why is he picked?

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbo

I heard they are doing it hoping that you will cancel your membership and also stop posting on this site.

longtimesaint
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Tony74 might need to justify why Gilbo keeps getting picked when he clearly has no skill but lots of heart.
Liability.
Why is he picked?
This is a rubbish post as if you look at last year he was a solid contributor and is adaptable.
He performed well at half-back, midfield and up forward (watch the game against pies ,round3)
His round one match wasn't good but there wasn't many who had a good game , and it was very difficult for defenders when the midfield is getting badly beaten.

One year will be our year
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Tony74 might need to justify why Gilbo keeps getting picked when he clearly has no skill but lots of heart.
Liability.
Why is he picked?
Hard to admit it, but I'm with you WS. Was past his use by a couple of years ago. An honest toiler, but is now becoming a liability. Another one of AR's favourites who seems to be cast in the coach's own image when he was a player. Honest, hard worker, but lacking skill and polish. You only have to see who's captain to acknowledge the mind set. Meanwhile, the talented youngsters who are the future are sent to wallow at Sandy after the merest slip up. It has been mentioned on here that Acres was sent back to Sandy "to work on his disposal". Shouldn't Geary, Gilbert, Savage and Webster be joining him? This is starting to resemble the Ross Lyon era.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Liability.
Why is he picked?
What a garbage post, exactly how was Gilbert responsible for the loss this week? He may not have got a load of footy but he also didn't get smashed by his direct opponent and didn't make any glaring mistakes, with the midfield just getting slaughtered after half time the back line were under siege, losing 10 centre clearances in a row is a disgrace and as Chris Scott said on AFL 360 last night, you could have the best defensive 6 of all time and it wouldn't matter with that kind of capitulation in the centre.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Agree WW Gilbert should be the player to make way for Montagna this week!

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

He's not a player who is going to regularly make a positive impact. I'm not sure what his role was on Saturday...seems to be a gap-filler because he's not good enough to justify selection in any one position. He's not needed as a key defender, his skills aren't good enough to be an attacking half back and he doesn't get enough of the ball to play in the middle. He gives his all but right now Gilbert is dead wood that needs to be cut from the 22 and replaced by someone who can actually take us forward. If we're going to be fielding players with massive holes in their game then it should at least be players who have scope to improve like Acres and McKenzie.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Agree WW Gilbert should be the player to make way for Montagna this week!
This. It's time.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo stays in.

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Willard Saint will you wear your saints Colours to the game this week. Or will you be too embarrassed.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Willard Saint will you wear your saints Colours to the game this week. Or will you be too embarrassed.
Wearing Saints colours all week. And at the game too.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
stonecold
SS Life Member

Poor old Gilbo, should be called 'Devo', according to some anyway!!!!!

Gezz, wouldn't be many left on this forum, if the mods cleaned out the 'deadwood', get a grip.people, let the experts do what they are paid to do!!!!!

It's just one poor result!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Gilbert keeps his spot and towels up Jack Darling

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
saynta
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:He's not a player who is going to regularly make a positive impact. I'm not sure what his role was on Saturday...seems to be a gap-filler because he's not good enough to justify selection in any one position. He's not needed as a key defender, his skills aren't good enough to be an attacking half back and he doesn't get enough of the ball to play in the middle. He gives his all but right now Gilbert is dead wood that needs to be cut from the 22 and replaced by someone who can actually take us forward. If we're going to be fielding players with massive holes in their game then it should at least be players who have scope to improve like Acres and McKenzie.
Yeah, but I have my doubts about McKenzie.

I know it was only the preseason comp, but I saw him take a short step and squib a contest in which he would have been hit hard.

Mind you, I would probably have done the same thing.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:Poor old Gilbo, should be called 'Devo', according to some anyway!!!!!

Gezz, wouldn't be many left on this forum, if the mods cleaned out the 'deadwood' .
I for one would miss you. :wink:

stonecold
SS Life Member

saynta wrote:
mad saint guy wrote:He's not a player who is going to regularly make a positive impact. I'm not sure what his role was on Saturday...seems to be a gap-filler because he's not good enough to justify selection in any one position. He's not needed as a key defender, his skills aren't good enough to be an attacking half back and he doesn't get enough of the ball to play in the middle. He gives his all but right now Gilbert is dead wood that needs to be cut from the 22 and replaced by someone who can actually take us forward. If we're going to be fielding players with massive holes in their game then it should at least be players who have scope to improve like Acres and McKenzie.

I know it was only the preseason comp, but I saw him take a short step and squib a contest in which he would have been hit hard.

Yeap and sometimes you can break a kid by playing them when they are not quite ready, needs a watershed moment, that may be in the VFL, developing and there's nothing wrong with that.

Partly the reason, the likes of 'Devo' Gilbert are still playing, so kids take longer than others, and you may need veterans to fill gaps and play roles for longer!!!!!

Some as other young guys need to address their flaws at a lower level(VFL), such as Acres Sinclair etc!!!!!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
saynta wrote:

Yeap and sometimes you can break a kid by playing them when they are not quite ready, needs a watershed moment, that may be in the VFL, developing and there's nothing wrong with that.

Partly the reason, the likes of 'Devo' Gilbert are still playing, so kids take longer than others, and you may need veterans to fill gaps and play roles for longer!!!!!

Some as other young guys need to address their flaws at a lower level(VFL), such as Acres Sinclair etc!!!!!
Acres has 26 senior games. He's ready.
Sinclair is AFL ready too. Gilbo is way past it, will only get worse

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo is improving

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:Gilbo is improving
Watch the next game.
He'll get caught with the ball at least 8 times, he'll turn it over at least 10 times.
I'll come on here after the game and give you the times of each mistake.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:
The Fireman wrote:Gilbo is improving
Watch the next game.
He'll get caught with the ball at least 8 times, he'll turn it over at least 10 times.
I'll come on here after the game and give you the times of each mistake.
look forward to it.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

His best is certainly good enough, but his worst can be frustratingly bad. Unfortunately his bad games are becoming more regular.

I was a fan of DMac last year, but his JLT form was ordinary. Ditto with Seb Ross - and we saw what Ross produced last weekend. Both need to play at Sandy this weekend and find their form again. For this reason, my bet is they will give Gilbo another shot this week. Despite this, I hope they swing the axe hard this week at the selection table. Very tough game to win, so why not send a message to those who didnt perform last week and give those on the fringe a chance to show their wares. It paid off in spades in the back half of last year when they introduced Acres, DMac and Minch - all of whom were dominating at Sandy.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Zed wrote:His best is certainly good enough, but his worst can be frustratingly bad. Unfortunately his bad games are becoming more regular.

I was a fan of DMac last year, but his JLT form was ordinary. Ditto with Seb Ross - and we saw what Ross produced last weekend. Both need to play at Sandy this weekend and find their form again. For this reason, my bet is they will give Gilbo another shot this week. Despite this, I hope they swing the axe hard this week at the selection table. Very tough game to win, so why not send a message to those who didnt perform last week and give those on the fringe a chance to show their wares. It paid off in spades in the back half of last year when they introduced Acres, DMac and Minch - all of whom were dominating at Sandy.
The coaches feel the need to put Acres into the naughty corner, for not following team rules, or not running hard enough "both ways"
But they cut the Gilbo a lot of slack; no matter what he does wrong,
the 2 things he may get right seem to cloud the judgement and make up for the numerous times he stuffs up.
"We only see what we want to see"

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

McKenzie take a short step... I don't reckon

72kgs on drafting, skinny as a rake, and constantly over his first year showed ridiculous (at times stupid) courage. He is absolutely fearless in the air, and backs into oncoming traffic with scant regard. I'd comfortably say, he is right up there with Geary, Wright and Dempster as being amongst the most courageous players at the club. Sorry, Riewoldt of course.

Short step

Yet last year, launched himself into oncoming traffic a got knock senseless? Interesting

He does however lack a bit of belief at times,,

stonecold
SS Life Member

So, Wellard, you are right and our coaching staff are wrong then, is that what your saying?????

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:So, Wellard, you are right and our coaching staff are wrong then, is that what your saying?????
"You're"
Yes, I am correct.
Clint Jones was a liability and didn't deserve a game.
Gilbo the same.
I don't care what anyone thinks, I am right.