Reliance on Roo and Steven

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

spert
Saintsational Legend

Reliance on Roo and Steven

Seems to me like the only chance of us winning is if Roo and Steven have top games. It will be interesting to see who stands up in Roo's absence. I would like to see Bruce really stand up and make statement against WCE. It's a forgone conclusion that Steven will be heavily tagged, and he doesn't seem to get away from taggers very well, so one or more of the other mids will need to really get into the game and get a lot of the ball. We need the middle rung to step up.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Reliance on Roo and Steven

I have watched the replay of the Melbourne match much as it was difficult viewing.
One major conclusion I came to was that our ruck (Hickey) and subsequently our midfield were greatly disadvantaged by the ball being thrown up and not bounced.
Hickey adapts well to the different nuances of the bounce and he has managed to beat Gawn twice last year.
With the ball thrown up it greatly advantaged Gawn who is bigger and stronger as the ball is in virtually the same place every ball up.

Gawn was able to give their midfielders an armchair ride.
Our poor kicking for goal in the second quarter was another contributing factor.
The bottom line is I would hold our nerve with both Hickey and the midfield and I believe they will bounce back.

One year will be our year
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Reliance on Roo and Steven

It's hideous