Billings in the middle?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Billings in the middle?

Despite being out of form, he has polish and finish, just what our midfield desperately needs.

Worth a shot? It's not like Dunstan's form would be keeping him out.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Billings in the middle?

Billings was very good until half time and then was left wasted up forward. Great goal if Bomg kicked that there'd be a twelve line run down in the paper about it.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would need to be more intense around the ball and work harder defensively

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Would need to be more intense around the ball and work harder defensively
I think we need to use him every time he's there to use. Watching crap kicks wave him away after they take a mark or gather a uncontested possession is sickening.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Another woefully unfit player. In the second half he was gone after two minutes on the field and was looking for an interchange. It's easy to see - he drops his head. The fact that he can't get the ball more than a metre off the ground with a kick around his body cost us goals and turnovers. He needs to strap 2kg around his left calf and work on it until he is exhausted - day after day. Coaches at St Kilda seem to think faults are just part of the game and never take any remedial action. If they do, the results are hard to see.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Personally I would like to see him on a wing

Love is all you need
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Is this like Malcolm in the Middle - but hopefully this wouldn't be as funny. I think its something they have to consider. He's our number 3 pick and unless we can land a classy trade we lack the high pick class onballer most premiership teams have at least one of. So JB may have to be our boy onball to help link up play all over da ground.

The issue is going to be:

1) his physicality for winning ball - but apparently he was pretty good inside as junior using his reflexes and smarts a bit like Steven wins clearances with his speed. Dal stacked on enough muscle to be ok around the ball
2) Endurance - playing that winger half forward role he's is going to have to run a lot but its only going to be over half the ground or so. Playing onball you gotta run all over the whole ground all the time, up and back, up and back. Turnovers - you gotta sprint back full on and then back up again to suppport attacks and maybe do that 4 times in succession. Does he have that sort of tank?

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Is this like Malcolm in the Middle - but hopefully this wouldn't be as funny. I think its something they have to consider. He's our number 3 pick and unless we can land a classy trade we lack the high pick class onballer most premiership teams have at least one of. So JB may have to be our boy onball to help link up play all over da ground.

The issue is going to be:

1) his physicality for winning ball - but apparently he was pretty good inside as junior using his reflexes and smarts a bit like Steven wins clearances with his speed. Dal stacked on enough muscle to be ok around the ball
2) Endurance - playing that winger half forward role he's is going to have to run a lot but its only going to be over half the ground or so. Playing onball you gotta run all over the whole ground all the time, up and back, up and back. Turnovers - you gotta sprint back full on and then back up again to suppport attacks and maybe do that 4 times in succession. Does he have that sort of tank?
Go back to the Collingwood game last year, when we had no bench by about mid way through the 3rd. He went up and back that day, from accepting kick ins, to kicking a goal from around 50 well into the last when we were under some heat, and everyone was cooked.

He also went up and back when played across the middle in the preseason, and got involved in contests well enough to be lauded by game day coaches for doing the things they are expecting him to do. He also had the highest number of involvements in scoring chains of anyone in the side.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Griggsy
SS Life Member

CURLY wrote:Billings was very good until half time and then was left wasted up forward. Great goal if Bomg kicked that there'd be a twelve line run down in the paper about it.
It annoys me our club never gets recognition, I think it hurts our supporter base growth. Even greshams goal couldn't even make it to the AFLs highlight package for the round, and not in top10 plays, and not a contender for goty. If betts had done it they'd probably use it in their bloody tv ads.

On billings, he's not really a solo player that seems to be all the rage these days. He's not gonna barge through the stoppages and get all that attention like Fyfe, Danger, Martin, Bont etc. he's a team player, and our team struggled big time. Our team is like a puzzle, billings is a very useful piece but we haven't worked the pieces that join with his.

Shitty metaphor, but I'm tired and I think the point is clear haha

shrodes
SS Life Member

Griggsy wrote: It annoys me our club never gets recognition, I think it hurts our supporter base growth. Even greshams goal couldn't even make it to the AFLs highlight package for the round, and not in top10 plays, and not a contender for goty. If betts had done it they'd probably use it in their bloody tv ads.
I'm not the only one that was surprised by this! Definitely deserved to be in the contenders for GOTY