Sandy v Port Melb

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

RODOS
Club Player

Sandy v Port Melb

Anyone at the game?

Apparently paddy, battle and marshall all kicked 2 goals in the first, 38-12 at quarter time

Would love if Paddy and Marshall in particular put in really strong performances. Having Marshall play as that ruck forward would make playing Longer a viable option, which could help us with what transpired yesterday arvo against the dees.

Love hickey but if he's not up to it against a player like gawn we may need the physical attributes of longer to keep our mids in it. But he'll need a chop out.

Battle is fighting it out with membrey as it stands and members has a few credits in the bank, but would love for the young boy to kick a few more too.

Is Acres playing?

Heads may roll after yesterday's performance

edit: half time, Goals: Marshall 4, McCartin 3, Battle 2, Montagna 1, Weickhardt 1

Disposals: Sinclair 20, Verma 19, Acres 16

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: Sandy v Port Melb

RODOS wrote:Anyone at the game?

Apparently paddy, battle and marshall all kicked 2 goals in the first, 38-12 at quarter time

Would love if Paddy and Marshall in particular put in really strong performances. Having Marshall play as that ruck forward would make playing Longer a viable option, which could help us with what transpired yesterday arvo against the dees.

Love hickey but if he's not up to it against a player like gawn we may need the physical attributes of longer to keep our mids in it. But he'll need a chop out.

Battle is fighting it out with membrey as it stands and members has a few credits in the bank, but would love for the young boy to kick a few more too.

Is Acres playing?

edit: half time, Goals: Marshall 4, McCartin 3, Battle 2, Montagna 1, Weickhardt 1

Keep those reports coming in mate.

RODOS
Club Player

Goals this quarter (3rd): Battle 2 (4 in total i think), Curren, Acres

Disposals: Verma 27, Sinclair 27, Acres 22

monty also has 18 touches for the game which bodes well for next week

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Final scores and stats?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
RODOS
Club Player

BackFromUSA wrote:Final scores and stats?
still waiting on the sandy twitterfeed, I think they're going for a 'less is more' approach :evil:

RODOS
Club Player

'FULL TIME:

The Zebra's come away with a convincing win with a dominant performance & a great effort by the boys!

Disposals: Verma 32, Sinclair 27 & Acres 22.

Goals: Marshall 5, Battle 4, McCartin 3, Weickhardt 2, Answerth 2, Acres, Montagna, Curren & Sziller. '

from bigfooty

seems acres either didn't get a touch in the last or was rested. I think paddy may only have played 3 quarters too from what richo said last night about him being 'managed'. Marshall with five is very encouraging! Battle too. WHo is Verma? Is that our nick name for Bailey Rice? Verma... celli? ok im done

Viking3
Club Player

Is Acres playing?

If Hickey's not up to it??? Sheesh. Gawn was AA last year. We played the Dees twice with Hickey winning 2-0!! If Hickey's not up to it??? :roll:

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

One feels the Battle likes a goal or two.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yesterday, Hickey copped a hiding of epic proportions

They controlled the Centre Sauare because Gawn did!

Will be dropped I reckon

longtimesaint
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Yesterday, Hickey copped a hiding of epic proportions

Will be dropped I reckon
Doubtful if Longer could have done any better.
Tom should still have some credits from last year , and as Tony said throwing the bal up didn't help him.

One year will be our year
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Evidently Dempster did not play.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

I reckon Hickey has Vardy & Petrie covered... deserves the chance to redeem.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:One feels the Battle likes a goal or two.
I played footy at the same club but a few years behind his dad growing up and played cricket with his dad. Toss was a great sportsman, very competitive and well let's just say he knew he was good. he played at Hawthorn in a very strong era but succumbed to injury. If young Josh has the same attributes he will love a goal, love to win and do whatever it takes to get ahead of the opposition and the team mates he competes with on the training track and for position on the field. Having said that Toss was a natural leader, encouraged others and epitomised the fighting spirit and determination. I have high hopes for Josh Battle. He comes from a great family and his granddad would have been very proud.

I get the feeling we will see him play AFL this year. The boy has a huge engine for his size too so don't be surprised if he ends up surpassing McCartin. That is if the plan is flexible enough to reward results, sheer talent and capability. He should smash it in the VFL.

RODOS
Club Player

Viking3 wrote:

Is Acres playing?

If Hickey's not up to it??? Sheesh. Gawn was AA last year. We played the Dees twice with Hickey winning 2-0!! If Hickey's not up to it??? :roll:
sheesh yourself, on his day hickey can be as damaging as any, but if he keeps playing like he did last night then we have to consider alternatives. If we played melbourne again this coming weekend instead of west coast, given the way we were absolutely dominated in the centre square and stoppages, would you play hickey again, or give longer a try? honest question. I'd be inclined to give longer a run with marshall providing the chop out, unless we managed to figure out why it was hickey played so poorly (8 touches and 18 hit outs to gawn's 13 touches and 49 hit outs) and how to fix it .

But with that said, the throwing the ball up thing (as mentioned by others) was not good for hickey, and frankly if they're going to throw it up, then they should throw it up as high the ball goes when it gets bounced. It looks like basketball out there with their dinky throws. Takes the whole reading the ball part out of the equation.

I'm not saying I don't think hickey is up to it, but just incase one of the many variables (injuries, motivation, mental health, rule changes, etc) have an adverse effect on his game, we have rowan marshall and billy longer.

... sheesh

supersaints
Club Player

Will be dropped I reckon
Agree, he should be dropped on his performance.
It's a new world with no third up for us, new rule is going to hurt ( and hurt other teams without an elite ruck this season) imo

Throwing the ball up also helped Gawn but there was a lack of physical pressure on the man

I'm not sure Longer would have done much better but he can be much more physical
in the contest and it may have helped somewhat

The coach said he was tossing up between the rucks so he's going to find it hard to keep Longer out.

I'll stick my neck out once again and say we may be forced to play horses for courses and I'm thinking we will try two rucks at sometime this season. Hopefully both of them will continue to improve during the year

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Longer smacks in harder than Hickey

Hickeys a better player

I reckon Gawn could've played a game today, given that he wasn't even challenged in the ruck...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps before dropping Hickey one should look at who their rucks are and how big a ground they will playing on.

The wce rucks got touched up by the north rucks. Though wce still won despite losing the ruck contest.

Petrie broke his hard so will probably be out leaving Vardy.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Sun 26 Mar 2017 8:43pm, edited 2 times in total.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
RODOS
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:Perhaps before dropping Hickey one should look at who their rucks are and how big a ground they will player on.

The wce rucks got touched up by the north rucks. Though wce still won despite losing the ruck contest.
I wouldn't be surprised if hickey has a blinder next week

shrodes
SS Life Member

RODOS wrote:'FULL TIME:

The Zebra's come away with a convincing win with a dominant performance & a great effort by the boys!

Goals: Marshall 5, Battle 4, McCartin 3, Weickhardt 2, Answerth 2, Acres, Montagna, Curren & Sziller. '

from bigfooty

seems acres either didn't get a touch in the last or was rested. I think paddy may only have played 3 quarters too from what richo said last night about him being 'managed'. Marshall with five is very encouraging! Battle too. WHo is Verma? Is that our nick name for Bailey Rice? Verma... celli? ok im done
That's awesome by Marshall. I had a feeling based on the highlights posted around draft time... very strong hands and smarts for a tall bloke. Hope we see more from him.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

Will be dropped I reckon
No bounces due to the turf provided a "fair" contest which is a sure way that the better ruckman will always win. atleast with bounces it will favour one side or the other, evening out over a game.

dragit wrote:I reckon Hickey has Vardy & Petrie covered... deserves the chance to redeem.
Petrie will miss with a fractured hand. NOt only does this help Hickey tremendously, WCE will be a tall short in their forward line as they like to play resting ruck.

Viking3
Club Player

RODOS wrote:
Viking3 wrote:

Is Acres playing?

sheesh yourself, on his day hickey can be as damaging as any, but if he keeps playing like he did last night then we have to consider alternatives. If we played melbourne again this coming weekend instead of west coast, given the way we were absolutely dominated in the centre square and stoppages, would you play hickey again, or give longer a try? honest question. I'd be inclined to give longer a run with marshall providing the chop out, unless we managed to figure out why it was hickey played so poorly (8 touches and 18 hit outs to gawn's 13 touches and 49 hit outs) and how to fix it .

But with that said, the throwing the ball up thing (as mentioned by others) was not good for hickey, and frankly if they're going to throw it up, then they should throw it up as high the ball goes when it gets bounced. It looks like basketball out there with their dinky throws. Takes the whole reading the ball part out of the equation.

I'm not saying I don't think hickey is up to it, but just incase one of the many variables (injuries, motivation, mental health, rule changes, etc) have an adverse effect on his game, we have rowan marshall and billy longer.

... sheesh
The centre square and stoppage dominance was just as much, if not more, an issue with our midfielders. Doesn't matter which ruck gets the tap, the midfield has a 50/50 chance of getting to the ball first.
You already have Marshall leap frogging Pierce and Holmes and in essence McCartin who still has to come in. Or are we going to play Longer, McCartin, Bruce and Marshall?
Sheesh.
And yes, you were inferring that Hickey wasn't up to it. They were your words not mine.
Sheesh.
It's ONE game.
Double Sheesh.

Give me one flag & I'll go to my grave a happy man.
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Marshall is a rookie so someone has to be on the long term injury list for him to be elevated and play (Freeman?) or I think one rookie can still be elevated half way through the year (or thereabouts).

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Nice day for a trip to TBBO
nice to beat Port Melbourne any time
even better to beat them by a big margin

lots of coaches in attendance
Dempster didn't play
Pierce played minutes in both Dev game and Seniors

Unfortunately Marshall is a rooke-
a couple of 'injuries' coming out of it maybe- thumbs and/or fingers, cramping - was quite warm

Verma is Sandy Player-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
RODOS
Club Player

Viking3 wrote:
RODOS wrote:
Viking3 wrote:

Is Acres playing?

... sheesh
The centre square and stoppage dominance was just as much, if not more, an issue with our midfielders. Doesn't matter which ruck gets the tap, the midfield has a 50/50 chance of getting to the ball first.
You already have Marshall leap frogging Pierce and Holmes and in essence McCartin who still has to come in. Or are we going to play Longer, McCartin, Bruce and Marshall?
Sheesh.
And yes, you were inferring that Hickey wasn't up to it. They were your words not mine.
Sheesh.
It's ONE game.
Double Sheesh.
pff, im just highlighting the fact we have depth and it's encouraging you pleb.

I don't know who comes in for who I wasn't trying to pick the team, i'm not going to humour your aggressive posting style from here on. cheers

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

FULL TIME:
Goals: Marshall 5, Battle 4, McCartin 3, Weickhardt 2, Answerth 2, Acres, Montagna, Curren & Sziller.
Good to see Young Sziller get a touch or 2

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107