Next Luke Ball

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BadRossco
Club Player

Next Luke Ball

Will a short sighted coach turn Blake Acres into our next Luke Ball, if this talented player is continually overlooked for inferior players he is certain to move on. When will our coaching staff wake up up and give players with a bit of potential some continuity rather than play the likes of Lonie who just does not have what it takes and never will.
Tom Lynch would also be an asset in the forward line and if you look back we have let some great players go, Hall, Lockett, Perovic, Smith, Greene and Stewart all did pretty well at new clubs. The saints are not alone at moving on good players but are by far the best at it.

citywest

Re: Next Luke Ball

I would have much rather seen Acres play instead of Lonie. But what would I know!?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

The coach is obsessed with giving Acres 'tough love'.
This could backfire. Just treat him like everyone else ffs.
He is easily in our best 22. Probably in our top 12-16.
Just a joke that we gift games to Gilbert and Dunstan every single week and then give games to Lonie and Wright just because they try hard even though they arent AFL standard. It is almost embarrassing.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Heads should roll if he asks for a trade.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Theyv'e got to look at what ceilings players have and not be completely obsessed with where they are currently. Young players will be inconsistent but the talented ones will keep growing as they have huge potential and develop consistency as they get games under their belt. Richo's obssession with getting into finals quickly and creating a "winning culture" could mean we have pumped games into the wrong players.

I worry that many of our "money ball" players who are currently in the team and getting games pumped into them don't have the necessary high ceiling to win a flag. Meanwhile our kids who can actually kick the footy, have x-factor and will bring dynamism to the team and the ability to keep the footy are rotting in the twos.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I still dont understand why Gilbert, Savage and Dunstan are beyond criticism.
They each play one good game in each 8 but noone says boo for the other 7 weeks. They just escape criticism.
Absolutely no consistency. Even Armo should now be seriously queried.

Vazelos
Club Player

I share the same opinion, was deflated when he wasnt picked yesterday.

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

How the hell di we have any idea why he's not picked or anyone for that matter. Do we know he's 100% match fit? Is he being set goals that others are reaching but he isn't?

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
fugazi
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:I still dont understand why Gilbert, Savage and Dunstan are beyond criticism.
They each play one good game in each 8 but noone says boo for the other 7 weeks. They just escape criticism.
Absolutely no consistency. Even Armo should now be seriously queried.

I've got a bit more time for Savage, but the other two need to play VFL

Nee!
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Richo's obssession with getting into finals quickly and creating a "winning culture" could mean we have pumped games into the wrong players.
??

Richo's obsession?

The club released its 'Blueprint for success' and the first cog was being top 4 by 2018. That's next season.

We either make the finals this season, or jump straight to top 4 next year - or Richo will not be doing what the club has directed and challenged him to do.

It's not his obsession. It's the clubs.