Re: Paddy WTF?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Just read this on AFL.com:

""Paddy pulled up a little bit tight in his hamstring on Thursday but was cleared to play by medical staff and selected in the round one side," Cox told the club's website.

"We've subsequently decided to withdraw Paddy from this match and we plan to give him a run in the VFL practice match tomorrow, where we can manage the minutes he will play".

Is this serious? First we show up for our first game clearly not as fit as our opponents. Then if the above is true, WTF?

Was Paddy fit or not?

If he does play for Sandy, then we've been far too clever by half. If not, then cut the bullsh*t.

The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:Just read this on AFL.com:

""Paddy pulled up a little bit tight in his hamstring on Thursday but was cleared to play by medical staff and selected in the round one side," Cox told the club's website.

"We've subsequently decided to withdraw Paddy from this match and we plan to give him a run in the VFL practice match tomorrow, where we can manage the minutes he will play".

Is this serious? First we show up for our first game clearly not as fit as our opponents. Then if the above is true, WTF?

Was Paddy fit or not?

If he does play for Sandy, then we've been far too clever by half. If not, then cut the bullsh*t.
I nearly lost it in the Victory Room post game, when a mate read that statement out - I wasn't alone.

Too clever by half, indeed, and possibly a tad cocky. I saw too many blokes on camera this week, talking about how the biggest area we had to improve was travelling interstate.

And, we played like it.

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

The OtherThommo wrote:

Was Paddy fit or not?

I nearly lost it in the Victory Room post game, when a mate read that statement out - I wasn't alone.

Too clever by half, indeed, and possibly a tad cocky. I saw too many blokes on camera this week, talking about how the biggest area we had to improve was travelling interstate.

And, we played like it.

I saw Richo's Presser after posting the above and understand why he did it. But still I think it was a bit clever by half. Paddy was quiet against Sydney, but still had an effect and took their best defender. Leaving Paddy out, meant moving Riewoldt from the midfield and I reckon that upset our structure. Paddy has 3 up to half time for Sandy, I reckon Richo would know that he got that call wrong.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

maybe they didn't want the Petracca comparisons ???

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Re: Paddy WTF?

Paddy was excellent v Melb last year.

The fact Bernie Vince had Membrey mean we could have really exposed that. Small Feds were woeful!!!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Everyone would have gone ape s*** if they played Paddy and he got through a quarter. He must have felt something and they decided to manage his game time in a practise match. No idea why it's a issue.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Paddy was excellent v Melb last year.

The fact Bernie Vince had Membrey mean we could have really exposed that. Small Feds were woeful!!!
Indeed.

Look I'm sure Richo and his Coaching team know they made mistakes. Happens to the best of them. Given his time again I'm sure McCartin would have played (probably Acres too).

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Tanking.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Was Paddy fit or not?

Simple answer he was dropped because of his lack of pressure and effort against Sydney in the JLT.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Paddy looked pretty ordinary against PA in the JLT too- I reckon he will be spending a bit of time at the VFL yet.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The role Richo has him playing, he'll need 4 pre-seasons at least to be able to do it effectively each week.

Probably more due to his body shape.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:Everyone would have gone ape s*** if they played Paddy and he got through a quarter. He must have felt something and they decided to manage his game time in a practise match. No idea why it's a issue.

I tend to think more what happened was that the Dees went smaller than expected and so we rebalanced.

Was Paddy out the right move? I don't know. But Lonie in was definitely not the right move.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....