Ins & Outs for round 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ins & Outs for round 2

CQ SAINT wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:Minch is miles better than Lonie.

What is it with Lonie? The choir boy hair-cut? So what if he tries like Scrappy do. He is very slow, gets caught a heck of a lot and most of his tackles are easily broken. Every now and then he lays a tackle because he sneaks up and noon sees him coming cos he is so small.
Sinclair is better than them both. Long will be too. They are both more suited to the midfield as well.
Forgot about Longy. I reckon he will be the best of them.

I am still unsure about Sinclair. Does he get enough ball? Is he going to improve? I am not sure.

SMS
Club Player

If we had the Flu / Virus then we shouldnt over react. Players were gassed. No changes if they had the flu.
IF we were 100% then that performance is DISGUSTING. The worse in many years
IF they were fit then many changes. MANY
Longer for Hickey
Sinclair for Lonie
Acres for Gilbert
Minchington for Weller
Stevens for Wright
DMac for Newnes
McCartin for Reiwoldt
Dempster for NBrown
Montagna for Dunstan

Round 2 team
Geary. Carlisle Dempster
DMac. Roberton. Savage
Montagna. Armitage. Minchington
Sinclair. Bruce. Billings
Gresham. McCartin. Membrey.

Longer. Steele. Steven

Acres. Stevens. Webster.

SWING THE AXE!!! We have depth just as good.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

SMS wrote:If we had the Flu / Virus then we shouldnt over react. Players were gassed. No changes if they had the flu.
IF we were 100% then that performance is DISGUSTING. The worse in many years
IF they were fit then many changes. MANY
Longer for Hickey
Sinclair for Lonie
Acres for Gilbert
Minchington for Weller
Stevens for Wright
DMac for Newnes
McCartin for Reiwoldt
Dempster for NBrown
Montagna for Dunstan

Round 2 team
Geary. Carlisle Dempster
DMac. Roberton. Savage
Montagna. Armitage. Minchington
Sinclair. Bruce. Billings
Gresham. McCartin. Membrey.

Longer. Steele. Steven

Acres. Stevens. Webster.

SWING THE AXE!!! We have depth just as good.
I like your changes. We'll get belted by the Cokeheads (29° every day this week)
and the rotation will put them on notice that bad games aren't tolerated,
and the changes will ensure the defeat won't be as bad.

Gilbo alone will gift 5 goals to the Cokeheads.
On Sat night, I will show this post again.
"GILBO WILL GIVE UP 5 GOALS TO WCE"

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

What is it with Lonie? The choir boy hair-cut? So what if he tries like Scrappy do. He is very slow, gets caught a heck of a lot and most of his tackles are easily broken. Every now and then he lays a tackle because he sneaks up and noon sees him coming cos he is so small.
Sinclair is better than them both. Long will be too. They are both more suited to the midfield as well.

I am still unsure about Sinclair. Does he get enough ball? Is he going to improve? I am not sure.
Sinclair gets the same raw deal as Acres. Has to prove himself immediately or he gets dropped. I don't think we have seen enough of him or maybe he doesn't like fishing or being one of the boys I am not sure. What i have seen is sure hands, beautiful foot passing and a one on one ability to win the ball. Minch is ok and does some flashy and sometimes impressive work but Lonie fiddles, fumbles, fakes and faints too much. He is a long way from were he wants to be which is Milne or Schneider like IMO. He runs in circles, handle balls without looking and makes simple tasks look difficult. Gresh is a mile better at the same things and only does them when he has to. So do we need Lonie? Minch is depth.

Long is gonna be special and I reckon he is ready now.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

CQ SAINT wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Sinclair gets the same raw deal as Acres. Has to prove himself immediately or he gets dropped. I don't think we have seen enough of him or maybe he doesn't like fishing or being one of the boys I am not sure. What i have seen is sure hands, beautiful foot passing and a one on one ability to win the ball. Minch is ok and does some flashy and sometimes impressive work but Lonie fiddles, fumbles, fakes and faints too much. He is a long way from were he wants to be which is Milne or Schneider like IMO. He runs in circles, handle balls without looking and makes simple tasks look difficult. Gresh is a mile better at the same things and only does them when he has to. So do we need Lonie? Minch is depth.

I honestly had the impression Lonie deliberately made possessions difficult so they wouldn't be judged so harshly. Pull it off and you look good, fail and no one will judge you for it. Just pick the ball up!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Sinc was very ordinary today at Sandy.
Minch may have busted his hand.
Long didn't play and is suspended anyway

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:

Sinc was very ordinary today at Sandy.
Minch may have busted his hand.
Long didn't play and is suspended anyway
Equal leading 27 possessions till 3 Qtr time according to the Sandy FC twitter. Must have been very ordinary???? Is there another Sinclair in the line up????

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Carlisle

The statue

Stands at CHB and hopes the opposition kick it to him and not his opponent

If he is the great white hope, god help us

He is only of value if the opposition have a Kosi like fwd
Stupid observation.. We were playing a terrible zone that was ineffectual.. He was following the struxture.. Got beaten twice because of how little the midfield pressured the ball resulting in our zone being kicked over

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Carlisle was hopeless. He needs to improve ten fold.

stonecold
SS Life Member

Joe Bloggs wrote:Carlisle was hopeless. He needs to improve ten fold.
Yeah right!!!!! Get a grip Joseph!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Agree,

Carlisle was awful... he took one mark of value, and was poor defensively

He was pretty close to our worst, and that's saying something.

At least Brown spent 75% of the time on a gun, Hickey more so... so getting flogged is understandable
He had a second year kid... and had his hands full, when he decided to get near him... or Watts FFS

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Sinclair has a lot of class. I hope he makes it.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

DMac, Joey, Paddy, Shinna and Blacres in.
Gilbert, Savage, Roo, Webster and Lonie out.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Freebird
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:DMac, Joey, Paddy, Shinna and Blacres in.
Why are the Mid-fielders Armitage, Ross + Dunstan not in this list of outs - more than anything the mid-field is where the game was won.
They were in a position of high volume but were slaughtered

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Do the players deserve a chance to redeem themselves - all teams will have a bad day at the office. Its whether you can get it back on track the next week is what matters. For me:

Acres for Lonie - we can't have all of Gresham, Lonie, Weller & Wright being medium/small forwards when only Gresham can rotate onball.
Paddy for Rooey - Paddy was running well in the preseason so if his hammy is ok I think he could cover the big WA ground ok. Unless they don't want him on a long flight with the hammy

Not sure if you go Longer for Hickey. Maybe Hicks deserves a chance to redeem himself. We could have some changes if Newnes & Weller are battling injury - good excuse to get some fresh blood in to try. Sincs has done a lot right and we could use his ability to use the footy well. But if all of Ross, Dunny and Armo play, by god they need to show why they should all be there together. If the results aren't there, then changes have to be made. Even the Brisbane game may not be the lay down mizere we thought.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Monty will be a monty if he pulls up okay, probably Stevens too if he's better.

The midfield should all be on notice.

elizabethr
Club Player

Out-Riewoldt Armitage Brown
In-McCartin Montagna Dempster

nothing to say
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Freebird wrote:
White Winmar wrote:DMac, Joey, Paddy, Shinna and Blacres in.
Why are the Mid-fielders Armitage, Ross + Dunstan not in this list of outs - more than anything the mid-field is where the game was won.
They were in a position of high volume but were slaughtered
Thought about Armo. He deserves another chance, but he must be close to being dropped if he doesn't perform. Dunstan survives as there is no one who can realistically replace him. Ditto Ross. Those two are also the future. They are much better than they showed on Saturday. Apart from that, Richo loves them. Paddy for Armo, Shinna for Webster, Blacres into the front half and midfield. DMac and Joey as rebounders who can also take a turn in the midfield. Two birds, one stone.

It won't take much to turn the midfield around. AR was completely out coached around the stoppages. Goodwin had up to nine defenders at the centre bounce, who once they saw Gawn get the tap flooded forward. We couldn't cope and did nothing to stop the wave. Even though we had seven defenders to their three forwards at times, they still managed to get out the back for easy goals. We also had no rebounding capability. Savage, Gilbert and Geary are all liabilities in this area, hence the introduction of Montagna and McKenzie. Newnes should be back there as well, at the expense of Geary, but that won't happen. Who would you rather have running off half back and delivering it forward? Gilbert, Savage and Geary, or Newnes, Joey and DMac? You can flick Webster as well because his kicking is just as erratic and he can't keep his feet. Would've made a great baseballer with the way he slides into home. Unfortunately that skill is not desireable in the AFL.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Roo out injured. So many poor players last week and so who to drop? Suspect the coaches will not drop based purely on that one game. Suspect also that they may limit the changes

Look at who we are playing and the opposition. Wide open spaces out west and so more run and pace will be good.

Joey likely to be back in for those reasons, plus that he is a damn good footballer.

Lonie I think would be exposed as he is too slow. So for mine he is an out.

Some are questioning Hickey. But on that ground his mobility will be an asset and the opposition rucks are not strong. I assume Petrie will miss due to broken hand.

Kennedy will make our selectors nervous and Brown went ok on him last year. Who replaces Petrie may influence Brown v Dempster selection.

So Roo and Lonie out for Paddy and Joey may well be were the selectors draw the line.

I would like to see at least one of Acres or Sinclair in. Dunstan, Ross and Armo were all equally underwhelming and really when a midfield gets slaughtered like ours did last week the coach should really mix things up somewhat.

ETIHAD STADIUM
Ground dimensions: 159.5 metres x 128.8 metres

DOMAIN STADIUM (formerly Subiaco Oval)
Ground dimensions: 175.6 metres x 122.4 metres

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Griggsy
SS Life Member

Armitage is never coming out, if he played every game last year getting injections for pain then there is no chance he's coming out after round 1.

Out
Roo
Lonie
Gilbert
Wright
Savage (if joey up)

In
Acres
Paddy (if not managing minutes)
Dempster
Sinclair
Joey

Dempster-Gilbert swap as they are testing with only 1 in the team. Think it wouldn't be fair on Sean if they didn't try both ways.
Sinclair-wright swap. Wouldn't mind sinc rotating through the midfield and think he is better than wright up the ground.
Savage-joey- joey to take that rebounding flank, also a better midfield rotation similar to Sinclair reasoning.
Paddy-roo - structure.
Acres-Lonie - again, midfield rotations.

We need all the help we can get in the midfield this game because if they f*** up like last year, Kennedy is kicking 10.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Go for speed and take one less big player. I wouldn't take Paddy over. I hear a bit of flack about Carlisle's game but if you have ever played down back in a team where the midfield is getting slaughtered and putting no pressure on the ball carrier, it puts massive pressure on the backline players and it's like a tidal wave coming at you. Have a look at our loss to WCE last season as an example.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I've changed my mind since my post a few days ago. Montagna had a run on the weekend so he's probably available & Paddy is definitely available, so:

Out: Riewoldt (inj), Savage, Wright & Lonie

In: McCartin, Montagna (if match fit), Acres & Dempster

longtimesaint
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:I've changed my mind since my post a few days ago. Montagna had a run on the weekend so he's probably available & Paddy is definitely available, so:

Out: Riewoldt (inj), Savage, Wright & Lonie

In: McCartin, Montagna (if match fit), Acres & Dempster
I agree but would also take Sinclair with a view to maybe a late change for Armo

One year will be our year
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

3 changes
In: McCarten, Monty and Dempster
Out: Lonie, Wright and Webster

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
longtimesaint
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:3 changes
In: McCarten, Monty and Dempster
Out: Lonie, Wright and Webster
Are you keeping Roo in the team on crutches?

One year will be our year