Team Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

longtimesaint
Club Player

Re: Team Round 1

Linton Lodger wrote:
longtimesaint wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:I did say all summer long that there is no way we will play all three of Carlisle, Dempster and Brown in the same side. Would be too slow.

Look at who isnt playing for us. Great depth.

Dempster
Montagna
McKenzie
Acres
K Stevens
Longer
Long
Battle
We can add Sinclair, White and Minchington to that.
and Lonie, who I reckon was awfully close to selection and in my view, deservedly so.
Lonnie is one of the emergencies.

One year will be our year
Eyespy

DJ Higgins wrote:No Dempster is harsh as he has done nothing wrong. Acres in understandable as he hasn't excelled in the JLT. More problems will occur next week when Joey is back. Nice problems to have for a change
Acres only got given 70% game time in one JLT game " 100% disposal efficiency 15 disposals playing an outside sweeping roll when played on the wing but played the majority of time in the forward line ! Think he had a couple of minutes per quarter as an in side mid where he got majority of his clearances from ( hasn't been given the same opportunities as other players ! IMO I couldn't fault his game ! Bit harsh to say he didn't perform but they have always been harder on Acres than anyone else for some unknown reason " just need to get games into this kid " he's gonna be a star !

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I fear young Blacres is not one of AR's favourites. His management, both last year and this, has been puzzling to say the least. Is there something we haven't been told about him. Is he troubled, or troubling? I wonder. For a kid of his ability and potential, he has spent too much time at Sandy, or not in the side at all. Things that make you go hmmmm!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Eyespy

White Winmar wrote:I fear young Blacres is not one of AR's favourites. His management, both last year and this, has been puzzling to say the least. Is there something we haven't been told about him. Is he troubled, or troubling? I wonder. For a kid of his ability and potential, he has spent too much time at Sandy, or not in the side at all. Things that make you go hmmmm!

Have it on good authority he's a great kid ( just a guess but in my opinion Acres has something different ( special ) about him that makes some of the coaches not confident in backing him ! Think they need to take a leap of faith and play him ! Can't understand how a kid that was voted BOG in the last 3 games of the season can't automatically make it into the starting 22 first round !

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Welcome back stonecold!!!!

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Vazelos
Club Player

I am an Acres fan and think he could be anything.
Those sorts of players you want to see in this team.
Deflated he isn't playing to be honest.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

#Where'stheBlake?

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Saints43
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:I am an Acres fan and think he could be anything.
I agree with everyone that Acres might become something really special but he sometimes lacks intensity at the contest. The sometimes probably makes him too unpredictable. I reckon that's the only thing that would stop him being named in the team every week for the next 10 years.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Saints43 wrote:
Vazelos wrote:I am an Acres fan and think he could be anything.
I agree with everyone that Acres might become something really special but he sometimes lacks intensity at the contest. The sometimes probably makes him too unpredictable. I reckon that's the only thing that would stop him being named in the team every week for the next 10 years.
On the flip side - give a dog a bad name - maybe sometimes he looks at it an wonders why he bothers - we always forget these are young kids - fair enough they are doing what we would love to be doing.

It's a fine line between nurturing and disciplining - I would hate to lose him ala Tom Lynch

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Dempster not in the first game is a bit of a surprise to me. I guess the thinking would be that Demons only have Hogan as a huge forward, Watts and Weideman who should be able to be covered by Carlisle, Robbo and Gilbert with their height. Which frees up a spot for both Savage and Webster to give rebound. Its a great call, I like it. I thought they'd want Dempster for cover as Carlisle could be pretty underdone in his first full on AFL game and might tire or not quite have have his timing down. But Rooey was playing down back a bit in the praccie games so he can do that as well.

I hope they do rotate guys around this year and Acres gets in next week. The whole issue of the sameness of Ross, Armo, Dunstan and Steele (and Stevens) is going to bubble away all year I reckon. Ross, Armo and Dunstan are a bit one-dimensional as they can generally only play on ball. Ross apparently was working on different positions in the preseason. Ross needs to show he can be a genuine damaging player out there and not just rack up possessions - some goals from him would help. How well Armo holds up physically is going to be interesting having quite a few injuries over the last few years. The balance and dynamic of our midfield is going to be a real debate this year with so many players putting up their hand to play in there. What is the ideal mix of blue collar contested ball and physicality, and white collar class and x-factor?

I don't see why Dunstan should be a lock each week. He's played well but lets be honest he hasn't really torn things up apart from his first year when he came in as a ready-sized AFL player. I still don't know why he's basically played every week since he was recruited - Richo obviously loves his honest, physical effort every week. I know those team standards are important but its also about looking at some guys who have x-factor and creativity for a different element in our midfield.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Everyone needs to re-fkn-lax about Acres

He has signed on until the end next year and he doesnt turn 22 until after the season finishes

It was always our aim to peak over the 2018 to 2021 and for all we know he is still growing and maturing

Kid has all the tools to be a superstar but he might not be any use to us over that period if we cane him now

Look at Cripps from Carlton - already he is struggling with injury at such a young age - too much too early??

Happy with the Acres go -slow - down the line this softly approach could deliver in absolute fkn spades

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:Dempster not in the first game is a bit of a surprise to me. I guess the thinking would be that Demons only have Hogan as a huge forward, Watts and Weideman who should be able to be covered by Carlisle, Robbo and Gilbert with their height. Which frees up a spot for both Savage and Webster to give rebound. Its a great call, I like it. I thought they'd want Dempster for cover as Carlisle could be pretty underdone in his first full on AFL game and might tire or not quite have have his timing down. But Rooey was playing down back a bit in the praccie games so he can do that as well.

I hope they do rotate guys around this year and Acres gets in next week. The whole issue of the sameness of Ross, Armo, Dunstan and Steele (and Stevens) is going to bubble away all year I reckon. Ross, Armo and Dunstan are a bit one-dimensional as they can generally only play on ball. Ross apparently was working on different positions in the preseason. Ross needs to show he can be a genuine damaging player out there and not just rack up possessions - some goals from him would help. How well Armo holds up physically is going to be interesting having quite a few injuries over the last few years. The balance and dynamic of our midfield is going to be a real debate this year with so many players putting up their hand to play in there. What is the ideal mix of blue collar contested ball and physicality, and white collar class and x-factor?

I don't see why Dunstan should be a lock each week. He's played well but lets be honest he hasn't really torn things up apart from his first year when he came in as a ready-sized AFL player. I still don't know why he's basically played every week since he was recruited - Richo obviously loves his honest, physical effort every week. I know those team standards are important but its also about looking at some guys who have x-factor and creativity for a different element in our midfield.
Happy to agrre with you here Bluto

I think you will see us rotate guys through the year to give some a break and develop others - and due to our depth i dont think we will be any weaker for it

Of course if we make the finals we go with our strongest side - based on form throughout the year and taking into account opposition team match ups

Of course if we do make finals and some players miss out there will be disappointment but with some pending retirements these players will soon have a chance to fill the void and establish themselves

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: I don't see why Dunstan should be a lock each week.
He isn't.

The great thing about our list at present is that there we now have really good depth and every week I expect to see someone annoyed that someone is not in the starting 22. Every week now deserving players will be let out of the 22.

Possibly only half of our team is a lock at present, and even then as the season progresses that may change.

MIDS:
Acres, Stevens, Joey, Sinclair and even the Minch may get gametime in the midfield this year.

FWDS:
- Lonie is thereabaouts. Long is threatening to bloom and Sinclair has don nothing wrong this pre-season.
- Paddy needs to show a bit more. He is thereabouts at present, but equally has not been kicking some easy goals. They will certainly give him first chance to shine. But if he stays quite other forward combinations may be tried during the year.

BACKS:
- DMack a bit out of form but we know he has talent. He will keep Webster and Savage on their toes. Savage will also be feeling the heat from Joey.
- Dempster could displace Gilbert or Brown. And by seasons end big Goddard will start to put his hand up.

RUCKS:
Longer is going to keep Hickey honest. And our two youngest rucks will only get better.

We probably have at least 26 players that you could pick our 22 from each week and with all sorts of combinations I would still be happy with the 22. I'm excited!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
Bluthy wrote:Dempster not in the first game is a bit of a surprise to me. I guess the thinking would be that Demons only have Hogan as a huge forward, Watts and Weideman who should be able to be covered by Carlisle, Robbo and Gilbert with their height. Which frees up a spot for both Savage and Webster to give rebound. Its a great call, I like it. I thought they'd want Dempster for cover as Carlisle could be pretty underdone in his first full on AFL game and might tire or not quite have have his timing down. But Rooey was playing down back a bit in the praccie games so he can do that as well.

Happy to agrre with you here Bluto

I think you will see us rotate guys through the year to give some a break and develop others - and due to our depth i dont think we will be any weaker for it

Of course if we make the finals we go with our strongest side - based on form throughout the year and taking into account opposition team match ups

Of course if we do make finals and some players miss out there will be disappointment but with some pending retirements these players will soon have a chance to fill the void and establish themselves
For me its about trying things out to see how that combo works. This idea that a coach should just pick "the best team" is meaningless. Coaches don't know exactly what will work and what won't. Different players bring different elements, good and bad and create different chemistry that can be hugely unpredictable. It's the art of coaching/selection/development and isn't as mechanical as picking "the best team".

I think this is where playing Longer will come in. He might provide great protection and blocking for a smaller mid like Gresham who has the maneuverability to be like a little fish swimming around a whale. Maybe you don't need quite as much blue collar types if you got Longers big body in there. LEts try it out.

There is also that element of needing to keep players happy and playing enough AFL games that they are developing which is a real issue for us now that we have a really even squad. You tend to play to the level of the competition you are in. Lonie and Sinclair are hitting a level above VFL and need to keep tasting the level they need to get to and be encouraged. We had too many young players rotting in the VFL under Lyon and their development was stunted and we lost a whole generation of players that left a huge hole in our list. We want to keep Billy happy to stay so need to play him enough - unless we get a crazy offer for him and one of Pierce, HOlmes, Marshall really shows something this year.

I think this is where Richo is a great asset for us now we have genuine roster of damn good footy players competing for limited spots. That mixture of honesty and nurturing will keep guys as happy as they can be not playing AFL and keep their focus and hunger going. He would have explained to Blacres that he missed because his preseason games were a bit underwhelming but they know he is a huge midfielder playing in summer heat and he is still highly valued and will get a chance very soon so work hard this week.

Injuries/soreness/suspension will crop up too of course. As we go for finals, Richo wants a big chunk of the squad who he knows how they play at AFL level more than just a few games. That gives him lots of chess pieces to play based on the oppo players, setup and the ground, and lets you handle injuries and suspensions. Options baby, options is what its all about.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
He isn't.
He has been so far. Whether Richo would be prepared to leave him out remains to be seen. He had pretty good preseason games, seemed a bit better at covering the ground bobbing up for goals. Maybe having Steele in the centre square showing great contested ball stuff will put genuine pressure on Dunny. We've got guys like Acres, Gresham and Billings who seem to have great room for growth in their game and to bring real play making ability in the middle we need. Does Dunny have another level to go to? Lets see.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:He would have explained to Blacres that he missed because his preseason games were a bit underwhelming
He was only given 3/4 of a practice game to prove himself after being one of our best for the last month of 2016, compared to say Lonie who played all three JLT games despite being miles off our best 22 last year.

If he keeps running around in the VFL picking up 38 touches we are mad.

wally
Club Player

I read somewhere that Dunstan does a lot of the bullocking/blocking which enables/help Steven and Ross etc and he was missed
the last few games when he had shoulder surgery.

I reckon injuries and form will open opportunities to those who missed out the current squad have first go and "it's their spot to lose"
when the chance comes along any one added has to be ready to go.

I do expect it's hard to be up when you miss out, I'd like to think our coaching staff are better (ala Tom Lynch situation) to handle it.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

dragit wrote:
Bluthy wrote:He would have explained to Blacres that he missed because his preseason games were a bit underwhelming
He was only given 3/4 of a practice game to prove himself after being one of our best for the last month of 2016, compared to say Lonie who played all three JLT games despite being miles off our best 22 last year.

Blake being in & out of the team is one of the great selection mysteries. The club can role out generic reasons for his omission however these can be applied to just about any player in our team. The club is doing a lot right atm, this not one of those examples.

spert
Saintsational Legend

Myron Gaines wrote:
dragit wrote:

Blake being in & out of the team is one of the great selection mysteries. The club can role out generic reasons for his omission however these can be applied to just about any player in our team. The club is doing a lot right atm, this not one of those examples.
Acres is one of those players who is a little inconsistent, but is also very effective in the heavy going in and around around packs and I would not hesitate in playing him in the seniors- a real mystery to me why is not in there.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

From what I see Dunstan does a hell of a lot of work out there. however 1%ers are measured, they aren't measured accurately. The coaches obviously see it, and it's obviously his job. I reckon he's underratd and our second best mid.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote:

I take your point about Acres Dragit and I am a big fan and want him to do really well, but i don't think Lonie was the best example because he actually forced his way back into our best 22 at the end of last season and his last 2 games were pretty good! Maybe Dunstan would have been a better example, because he missed the last chunk of the season last year and prior to that wasn't lighting it up, yet was given maximum JLT time to stake his claim. NOw this is tough because I actually like all 3, Dunstan, Lonie and Acres and want all to succeed and do well.

I think Acres might actually be the best man to cover Roo this year should the skipper go down with injury which is highly likely at some stage over the course of the season. Not from a gut running perspective, but I've seen glimpses of Acres marking ability, and as his confidence in his game and his physical stature has grown you can see that his willingness to go for marks...and he could be that really tough matchup floating forward or back taking important contested marks.

I Hope he gets an opportunity, I do'nt feel like he deserves to need an opportunity as he was clearly in our best 22 end of last seaosn, and for mine, that should still count for more than it does - especially when you know someone going into their 4th season is still going to be on the natural improvement curve for sure!!

Anyway, it's how it is and we just have to roll with it...on the whole i'm excited by the team, really happy Jimmy Webster is in as he is a fav of mine! Again, i'm confident we'll beat the dee's and beat them well...they still expect too much from 2-4th year players, and the media still fall into the same trap when assessing Melbourne's chances, plus their lack of genuine established guns...ours are still better than theirs!!

Myron Gaines
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:From what I see Dunstan does a hell of a lot of work out there. however 1%ers are measured, they aren't measured accurately. The coaches obviously see it, and it's obviously his job. I reckon he's underratd and our second best mid.
I suspect Jack Steele starting on-ball & Dunstan on a flank suggests Dunstan is on notice. Implied notice if anything imo.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Bluthy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
He isn't.
He has been so far. Whether Richo would be prepared to leave him out remains to be seen. He had pretty good preseason games, seemed a bit better at covering the ground bobbing up for goals. Maybe having Steele in the centre square showing great contested ball stuff will put genuine pressure on Dunny. We've got guys like Acres, Gresham and Billings who seem to have great room for growth in their game and to bring real play making ability in the middle we need. Does Dunny have another level to go to? Lets see.
Dunstan is vital, when he's going, we're going. His work in and under is fantastic. There won't be too many teams this year that could beat us when Hickey & Dunstan are up and about.

Myron Gaines
Club Player

spert wrote:
Myron Gaines wrote:
dragit wrote:

Acres is one of those players who is a little inconsistent, but is also very effective in the heavy going in and around around packs and I would not hesitate in playing him in the seniors- a real mystery to me why is not in there.
He can be a bit inconsistent however I think that area of his game improved dramatically towards the end of last year. He was one of our best over the last 4-6 weeks. Clearly best 22 despite being in & out of the team & not being afforded the same midfield opportunities as others.

When Blake is given mid opportunities, I see some punch added to our midfield. None of this sideways hand balling to stationary players. He bursts through packs & gets the ball moving forward with intent resulting in deep entries & one on one contests for our key forwards.

Furthermore, he's as versatile as anyone on our list. Can play sweeper down back, inside mid or resting forward with good marking ability. Very good one on one player.

Bottom line: just play the kid ffs. Hoping there's a late withdrawal and Blake comes into the team. I'd vomit if Lonie came in instead.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Don't get me wrong on Dunstan. He is a worthy first 22 player. It is just that right here and now we are in the good space of having 26 or more worthy first 22 players.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....