Tony Lockett on TFS tonight

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Tony Lockett on TFS tonight

I realise many don't watch but Plugger is on tonight 22nd March

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Re: Tony Lockett on TFS tonight

saintbrat wrote:I realise many don't watch but Plugger is on tonight 22nd March

Thanks SaintBrat!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

he has been the most congenial I have ever heard him in an interview
More comfortable with himself -

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

There is an aura around Tony (and possibly Gary Snr)

More so than Carey, Matthews and other players his equal

It's weird

Probably due to the mystique, or just sheer adoration

He was amazing

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I think reverence is the word I was after

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:I think reverence is the word I was after
So you have a reverence for something St Kilda.

Wow!

Just wow!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I think Plugger is far more intelligent than he has been given credit for. He is a deep thinker about the game and I was impressed with him as a special comments man. He may not be educated in the formal sense, but he is typical of many elite sportsmen, who are labelled as being dumb, because they don't sound like a QC, or are introverted and would rather have roofing nails driven through their testicles than speak in public.

I have a theory about the elite sportsperson. I believe there is no such thing as a ""dumb" elite athlete. Sporting prowess involves more than just physical co ordination. It needs spatial intelligence, judgement, ability to shift attention quickly, to think and strategise quickly and do it under pressure. That is several forms of intelligence right there. Plugger is the best player I've ever seen. Apologies to Matthews, Carey, Abletts, Harvey, Roo et al. A great player in mainly ordinary teams. Imagine if he'd been fit and at his proper playing weight! As Peter Hudson once told us, "Tony is capable of kicking 200 in a season if he gets everything right." High praise from one of the greatest of all time.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I think Plugger is far more intelligent than he has been given credit for. He is a deep thinker about the game and I was impressed with him as a special comments man. He may not be educated in the formal sense, but he is typical of many elite sportsmen, who are labelled as being dumb, because they don't sound like a QC, or are introverted and would rather have roofing nails driven through their testicles than speak in public.

I have a theory about the elite sportsperson. I believe there is no such thing as a ""dumb" elite athlete. Sporting prowess involves more than just physical co ordination. It needs spatial intelligence, judgement, ability to shift attention quickly, to think and strategise quickly and do it under pressure. That is several forms of intelligence right there. Plugger is the best player I've ever seen. Apologies to Matthews, Carey, Abletts, Harvey, Roo et al. A great player in mainly ordinary teams. Imagine if he'd been fit and at his proper playing weight! As Peter Hudson once told us, "Tony is capable of kicking 200 in a season if he gets everything right." High praise from one of the greatest of all time.
Nailed it. Plugger is a clever cookie indeed. I look forward to seeing both a Tony Lockett massive painting of him at the new Moorabbin and a room named after him. He's that important to our fabric.

Hudson is right - was capable of kicking 200 in a season. A 7 goal haul for Plugger is equivalent (in that same era not now), to 3 goals for other forwards of the time. He was genuinely that much better than the rest. You had to experience him live to understand his true greatness. Rooey is awesome, but Plugger takes that level and ads another 30%

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
stkmo
Club Player

On a somewhat related note, If anyone wants tickets to the footy show, please message me at least a week in advance and I can organise free tickets, weekly.

2 - 6 tickets every week.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

stkmo wrote:On a somewhat related note, If anyone wants tickets to the footy show, please message me at least a week in advance and I can organise free tickets, weekly.

Can I book the Grand Final show - I will need 6!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

White Winmar wrote:I think Plugger is far more intelligent than he has been given credit for. He is a deep thinker about the game and I was impressed with him as a special comments man. He may not be educated in the formal sense, but he is typical of many elite sportsmen, who are labelled as being dumb, because they don't sound like a QC, or are introverted and would rather have roofing nails driven through their testicles than speak in public.

He would have smashed Pratt/Hudson's record in '91 if he'd played every game. 200 wasn't a pipe dream it was certainly very doable by Plugger.

Vazelos
Club Player

1989 was his best chance. Would have smashed it that year as well as other years. He was the best footballer I have ever seen even though Gary Ablett Snr could play in more positions. He is an intelligent man, wise and street smart. He plays himself down as a person and as a footballer that's his way. There is a mystique about he and Gary Ablett Snr due to their greatness and media shyness no doubt.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Alas but he did not.

And as weird as it is to say, he never reached his potential (very weird since he was probably the best) he probably should have nudged 200... or at least kicked 180 between 1988-1994 but played one full season in that period

Wasn't fit
Wasn't disciplined

And at times

Wasn't fully interested (by that I mean outside of game day, his prep was often poor)

Not his fault, he was poorly led and was let down by a poor culture around him

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Saintpav

Your comment was typical

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
stkmo wrote:On a somewhat related note, If anyone wants tickets to the footy show, please message me at least a week in advance and I can organise free tickets, weekly.

Can I book the Grand Final show - I will need 6!
Thats a very generous offer Craig. :D

George27
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:1989 was his best chance. Would have smashed it that year as well as other years. He was the best footballer I have ever seen even though Gary Ablett Snr could play in more positions. He is an intelligent man, wise and street smart. He plays himself down as a person and as a footballer that's his way. There is a mystique about he and Gary Ablett Snr due to their greatness and media shyness no doubt.

Yep in 89 he could have got 200. Started with 9,10, 8, 5,5, 6, 6, 9 , 12. That is 70 in 9 games. In that 9th, he got 4 weeks for wacking Guy McKenna. He did not train, played for Vic and did a groin, limped through 2 more games . Season over.

Most of the time watching Tony it was edge-of -seat stuff, being in awe of his talent and just hoping he did not belt some bloke and get rubbed out or injured.

Still , 898 goals in 183 games ... it was a hell of a ride !

saynta
Saintsational Legend

George27 wrote:
Vazelos wrote:1989 was his best chance. Would have smashed it that year as well as other years. He was the best footballer I have ever seen even though Gary Ablett Snr could play in more positions. He is an intelligent man, wise and street smart. He plays himself down as a person and as a footballer that's his way. There is a mystique about he and Gary Ablett Snr due to their greatness and media shyness no doubt.

Yep in 89 he could have got 200. Started with 9,10, 8, 5,5, 6, 6, 9 , 12. That is 70 in 9 games. In that 9th, he got 4 weeks for wacking Guy McKenna. He did not train, played for Vic and did a groin, limped through 2 more games . Season over.

Most of the time watching Tony it was edge-of -seat stuff, being in awe of his talent and just hoping he did not belt some bloke and get rubbed out or injured.

Still , 898 goals in 183 games ... it was a hell of a ride !
Served McKenna right. He deserved all he got.

loris
Saintsational Legend

Is Lockett ill or has he become a vegan?
Saw a photo of him giving goal kicking advice to Buddy Franklin a couple of days ago, and Lockett was just the shell of the lump of the man he was.
The weight loss looked drastic - he looked more like a man in his 80's than one around 50. I'd have never recognised him if the caption with the newspaper photo hadn't stated it was Tony Lockett.

To lose that much weight so quickly he's either ill or been told by medicos to get all the fat off him or he will become ill.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Is Lockett ill or has he become a vegan?
Saw a photo of him giving goal kicking advice to Buddy Franklin a couple of days ago, and Lockett was just the shell of the lump of the man he was.
The weight loss looked drastic - he looked more like a man in his 80's than one around 50. I'd have never recognised him if the caption with the newspaper photo hadn't stated it was Tony Lockett.

To lose that much weight so quickly he's either ill or been told by medicos to get all the fat off him or he will become ill.

someone I know who has had the stomach surgery said he looks like has had something done- he was caggy about it when Billy asked how he had lost the weight on Wednesday

More discussion here Loris
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=92218

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Winmar
Club Player

His dad ended up unrecognisably massive, so he was probably worried about going the same way.

happy feet
Club Player

Plugger's daughter plays in the same netball club as my daughter. Last year I decided to go up and introduce myself at the netball. His first reaction was what the hell is a Saints supporter doing up here! We had a long chat, he was a great bloke, very humble and a proud Dad. His daughter is a bit of a chip off the old block and is a very good netball player. Plugger is Barrel chested and with enourmous hand that feel like they're made of steel.

Rugby League would have to be the stupidest, most moronic and over rated game of all time.