Richo on 360

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Richo on 360

'Noise of affirmation'
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-04-0 ... ffirmation
St Kilda Coach Alan Richardson has labelled it ‘the noise of affirmation’, referring to the West Coast Eagles’ historic free kick advantage at their home base in Perth.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s AFL 360, Richardson didn’t point the finger at the wide 8-23 free kick discrepancy for St Kilda’s 19-point loss on Saturday night, but did draw attention to the Eagles home ground advantage which is leading to lopsided free kick counts.

According to statistics recorded since 1999, West Coast receives the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL receiving 3.58 more free kicks than their opposition when playing at home against sides other than cross-town rivals Fremantle, adding further weight to Richardson’s belief.

“From my perspective, it is (affected from an umpiring perspective). I call it the noise of affirmation,” Richardson said on AFL 360 on Monday night.

“Our game is very grey, particularly from an umpiring perspective and it’s one of the beauties of our game, but particularly with issues like holding the ball.

“You go in there (asking yourself) did he duck? Did he have prior opportunity? Did he dispose of the ball correctly? The umpire has to weigh all this up.

“And then there’s this incredible noise that potentially gives the umpire some form of affirmation. Or if you’re an opposition player there is no noise, there is no affirmation that the umpire is receiving. My experience is the no calls that are the bigger issue.

“We were frustrated and disappointed with some of the sloppy stuff in terms of tackle, but on the flip side some of those that are like for like that we could have got we didn’t get and I reckon that noise.

“And it’s only Perth. Enough of our fans travel to SA and enough of our fans travel to Queensland to perhaps have that noise and influence and noise of affirmation.”

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:'Noise of affirmation'
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-04-0 ... ffirmation
St Kilda Coach Alan Richardson has labelled it ‘the noise of affirmation’, referring to the West Coast Eagles’ historic free kick advantage at their home base in Perth.

Speaking on Fox Footy’s AFL 360, Richardson didn’t point the finger at the wide 8-23 free kick discrepancy for St Kilda’s 19-point loss on Saturday night, but did draw attention to the Eagles home ground advantage which is leading to lopsided free kick counts.

According to statistics recorded since 1999, West Coast receives the biggest home ground advantage in the AFL receiving 3.58 more free kicks than their opposition when playing at home against sides other than cross-town rivals Fremantle, adding further weight to Richardson’s belief.

“From my perspective, it is (affected from an umpiring perspective). I call it the noise of affirmation,” Richardson said on AFL 360 on Monday night.

“Our game is very grey, particularly from an umpiring perspective and it’s one of the beauties of our game, but particularly with issues like holding the ball.

“You go in there (asking yourself) did he duck? Did he have prior opportunity? Did he dispose of the ball correctly? The umpire has to weigh all this up.

“And then there’s this incredible noise that potentially gives the umpire some form of affirmation. Or if you’re an opposition player there is no noise, there is no affirmation that the umpire is receiving. My experience is the no calls that are the bigger issue.

“We were frustrated and disappointed with some of the sloppy stuff in terms of tackle, but on the flip side some of those that are like for like that we could have got we didn’t get and I reckon that noise.

“And it’s only Perth. Enough of our fans travel to SA and enough of our fans travel to Queensland to perhaps have that noise and influence and noise of affirmation.”

He's a smart guy Richo. Not focusing on the frees WCE receive but on those the oppo doesn't. That makes total sense as an explanation for why the figures are so lopsided at Subiaco.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

We are going to get smashed by the umps this week

#1 Ryder fan
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

MC Gusto wrote:We are going to get smashed by the umps this week
Richo was smart with how he raised it - I dont think it will affect the umpiring. Thats the downside of having a BP as captain Geary should have been in the umpires ears the whole game reminding them of the inbalance of frees.

saint-stu
Club Player

It was a fascinating discussion on AFL 360 and I was surprised to hear that both Richo and Chris Scott agreed it is a thing, and Chris also said the umpires are aware as well. Very interesting those comments by Steve McBurney on SEN! He's actually agreed there were missed free kicks to the saints and it is caused by the subconscious noise of affirmation. He said the only thing they can do is coach the umpires on each individual decision on why the call was made and why it's was wrong.

I always thought that the bombers were idiots for screaming BALL! every time their player gets near an opponent. I'm now starting to believe that they're the smart ones.

Unfortunately, we're a relatively quiet bunch. I have raised this here before, but was shouted down. We also don't turn up to games at the MCG. Think of the free kicks we're giving to the opposition by the lack of supportive noise.

Maybe we need to be more loud and feral!

1ac46a38
shrodes
SS Life Member

saint-stu wrote:It was a fascinating discussion on AFL 360 and I was surprised to hear that both Richo and Chris Scott agreed it is a thing, and Chris also said the umpires are aware as well. Very interesting those comments by Steve McBurney on SEN! He's actually agreed there were missed free kicks to the saints and it is caused by the subconscious noise of affirmation. He said the only thing they can do is coach the umpires on each individual decision on why the call was made and why it's was wrong.

I always thought that the bombers were idiots for screaming BALL! every time their player gets near an opponent. I'm now starting to believe that they're the smart ones.

Unfortunately, we're a relatively quiet bunch. I have raised this here before, but was shouted down. We also don't turn up to games at the MCG. Think of the free kicks we're giving to the opposition by the lack of supportive noise.

I was plenty noisy in front of the TV (much to the chagrin of SO). It's hard when it's in Perth as 90+% of the supporters don't live and can't travel there.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:
saint-stu wrote:It was a fascinating discussion on AFL 360 and I was surprised to hear that both Richo and Chris Scott agreed it is a thing, and Chris also said the umpires are aware as well. Very interesting those comments by Steve McBurney on SEN! He's actually agreed there were missed free kicks to the saints and it is caused by the subconscious noise of affirmation. He said the only thing they can do is coach the umpires on each individual decision on why the call was made and why it's was wrong.

I was plenty noisy in front of the TV (much to the chagrin of SO). It's hard when it's in Perth as 90+% of the supporters don't live and can't travel there.
Yeah, me too, but my wife left the room as she doesn't like hearing swear words or seeing a grown man cry two weeks in a row. :cry: :cry: :cry:

saint-stu
Club Player

shrodes wrote:

Not Perth, sorry my point was that I think this affects us (specifically) at the MCG and even a bit at Etihad. Weren't we dead last for free kick differential last year?

1ac46a38
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

shrodes wrote:

I live in Perth.
The AFL gives St Kilda a block of 500 tickets for members for the game, only 500.
We get one ticket included in our membership of $125. (You folk in Melbourne get a lot more for your money- we also get 5 Etihad games, but I have to fly over there)

Saints normally come over once. This year they're coming twice, and we pay $61 for each ticket for the second game.

I've been here for 20 years, and I can tell you that the Saints fans here have dropped off big time in the last 10 years.
10 years ago, we had a convoy of double-decker buses taking us to the game.
Numbers are just miserable now. Hardly anybody goes, and it's a sad indictment on the Perth-based Saints fans
that they would rather sit at home and watch it live on Ch7, rather than go and make some noise.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Richo is settling into the program
Will see how he is now after a win

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Next up

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/alan-ri ... 1df2f1cd91

Addressing Dempster issue

Whilst Caro continued the journos line - if he had been picked Rd 1 he wouldn't have retired

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saintbrat wrote:http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/alan-ri ... 1df2f1cd91

Whilst Caro continued the journos line - if he had been picked Rd 1 he wouldn't have retired
So Caro knows more about Shinna than Shinna does. Wow.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:

And why would anyone dump themselves just over getting dropped for one game of footy?

Makes no sense, unless the anxiety that Ricoh mentioned is a serious mental health issue that Dumpster may have and is not being managed well? But I'm not a journo so I don't know all the facts. :eye roll:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
ace
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

And why would anyone dump themselves just over getting dropped for one game of footy?
A sudden realisation that the team was going to selected based on potential, not on form or performance.
A realisation that he would not get picked no matter how well he played.
A realisation that he was only there as insurance and had no part in the plan for the season.
All confirmed in a brutally honest discussion with the coach.
Willing to risk concussion to play AFL but a realisation that was unlikely due to lack of games.
A realisation that he may well suffer more concussions playing in meaningless VFL and practice games.
Willing to slog his guts out to play AFL but not to play VFL.

Concussion provided a means for him to retire without having to publicly admit to the real reasons.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

saintspremiers wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

Makes no sense, unless the anxiety that Ricoh mentioned is a serious mental health issue that Dumpster may have and is not being managed well? But I'm not a journo so I don't know all the facts. :eye roll:
Makes sense to me. Obviously you don't want to risk concussion damage at all - but at least if you're in the ones, the risk seems to have some purpose. Why would you take the chance if you can see you're gonna be spending your last season mostly in the twos. And that is what it would have meant - he was perfectly fit and in form.

spert
Saintsational Legend

The doctors would have a good chat to Dempster about chronic knocks to the head, and if he want's a career beyond footy, then now at his age is probably a good time to think about it.

I think Paddy might be one more concussion away from retirement.. it is a serious condition with long-tem consequences no matter what age you are.

loris
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:
WellardSaint wrote:

A sudden realisation that the team was going to selected based on potential, not on form or performance.
A realisation that he would not get picked no matter how well he played.
A realisation that he was only there as insurance and had no part in the plan for the season.
All confirmed in a brutally honest discussion with the coach.
Willing to risk concussion to play AFL but a realisation that was unlikely due to lack of games.
A realisation that he may well suffer more concussions playing in meaningless VFL and practice games.
Willing to slog his guts out to play AFL but not to play VFL.

Concussion provided a means for him to retire without having to publicly admit to the real reasons.
Usually like your posts Ace........... but what a load of speculative cobblers.

Why cannot you just respect, what a person like Dempster says? Health issues are the reason behind his decision. When has Dempster ever shown he has not been a man of integrity or courage for the Saints? When has he ever shown a bit of picque or resentment when he has been asked to play roles for the team, that maybe sacrifice his own latent potential.
His actions have always shown he is an honest, reliable type of fellow- not a duplicitous media tart like many players who want the Me, Me limelight shined upon them.

You, IMHO, and some other posters are like a lot of gossipy old women, and worse than the journos pedalling mischief..... even if there is no hint of scandal you want to wiff some up......... you show incredible disrespect for Sean Dempster...... a player who has given his all for the Saints, taken hits that would put lesser courageous players off the field for the day. A man who never had a bit of bad publicity about him on or off the field. A man of INTEGRITY, and you little keyboard warrior doubt him and his words. Very sad that a supposed St Kilda supporter could doubt Dempster in such a way. You portray in some manner that he is a bit thick, dumb......... he's only come to a realisation that he may not be in the team every week.
Can't you recall that Sean took a long while to sign his contract at the end of the season, ITK's said he had to be talked into going around again, convinced that he was still needed. He would have known his role & position to be played this season, that he possibly could be an insurance back up if other players stepped up over the season. Sudden realisation!!!!!! Come one now, you totally denigrade Shinner's intelligence.

A realisation that he would not get picked no matter how well he played. What another lame statement. So hypothetically the Saints have a run of injuries on our backline, and Sean Dempster would not have been recalled even if he had been playing well for weeks in the VFL - get real. Infact after the debacle against Melbourne, IF Sean Dempster had been right to play I'm sure he would have been one of the first picked players to go to play in Perth.

Sorry Ace - you get the full vent of my fury, but I'm annoyed at 'supporters' doubting the words of such a man of integrity. Have you noticed how Roo, Bruce, Joey, Gears are some of the players in their recent interviews when asked about Shinner, the word INTEGRITY pops up in their speech.
If he was so upset with the Saints, why would he be hoping to stay at the Saints to help out the sporsrs conditioning team? Go figure.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the journos are' writing a novel' and cannot understand that what has been said is fact and not their fiction. what if's .... , or that's how most would react

Sean is not MOST_ for years when asked saints players have said ' Shinner is differant' and what he is is Straight down the line..

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Junction Oval
SS Life Member

I think that we have to give Shinner and the Club, the benefit of any doubt on this one. I have seen him get many bad knocks, so concussion implication are certainly in play.

Sean has been a great and loyal player for many years, so let's support him.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Richo is becoming more comfortable
see how the mood is after our second win

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:Richo is becoming more comfortable
see how the mood is after our second win
Be interesting how Scott and Richo talk about this weeks match

shrodes
SS Life Member

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I believe it will be Tuesday night this week

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Might change once Richo comes on, but those two aseholes who run the show didn't give one word of credit to the saints for the hawks loss

Nup.

Still nothing.