Saints targeting Whitfield?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Saints into Lachie Whitfield?

I just switched on the tv and i think I heard Barrett say St Kilda are seriously into Lachie Whitfield. Apparently he was pissed off how his ban went down. I think he said something about training at our club?? Is under contract but we have picks to trade.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Saints targeting Whitfield?

Reported by Barrett on TFS that the saints are getting ready to make a play for suspended Giant, Lachie Whitfield. He has some history with the club, having trained there as a sixteen year old, and DB reports the club has remained in touch with him and his family. Apparently, some close to Whitfield are still disgruntled with the way the whole drugs saga was handled, leaving the way open for him to consider a move. He is contracted until the end of 2018, however a trade could be in the winds, as the GWS does like to load up with draft picks and we have a couple of first rounders in the pouch. One of those picks, plus Longer, who they wanted at the end of last year might get it done. Thoughts?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints targeting Whitfield?

I haven't seen a lot of him. No. 1 draft pick so that gets you drooling
Victorian Lachie Whitfield was selected by the GIANTS with pick number one in the 2012 NAB AFL Draft. He is a classy medium midfielder with rare awareness and decision-making ability complemented by skills either side with hands and feet. The former Dandenong Stingray is naturally gifted with speed and endurance and is strong overhead. Whitfield made his AFL debut in round one, 2013 and was nominated for the NAB AFL Rising Star award in his first season.

The young star was suspended for six months last November for breaching AFL rules and will not be eligible to return until round eight this year. Whitfield had a fine season in 2016, gathering 433 possessions at an average of 20.6 in 21 games. In the club's first finals campaign, he starred in the win over the Sydney Swans, with his foot skills and hard running as a standout.
At 187cm it is going to take him a bit of time to get up to an elite level so not panicked that he perhaps isn't at a super level yet. Had a few 30 possession games which is really encouraging. Would cost our two first rounders I reckon but this is a chance to get a no. 1 midfielder on our books. We need more class decision making and disposal. Good age for us too. Pretty exciting

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Has his performance for a No. 1 pick been a bit underwhelming, Bluthy? Perhaps the drugs suspension might be the catalyst for him fulfilling his undoubted potential. Just the sort we need, if he gets his act together. I wonder how the forum will respond, given plenty didn't want Dusty because of so-called behavioural problems. No prior for Dusty, a nasty one for Lachie. Forgive and forget? As long as we don't sell the farm for him. A clever move if we can lever him out of GWS without paying too high a price.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

I was just saying today that Whitfield suits our needs and won't cost as much as Kelly. Round 1 pick and a ruckman could get it done.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Re: Saints into Lachie Whitfield?

Think purple will find its Josh Kelly..

dragit
Saintsational Legend

The no d**khead policy seems to be wildly variable.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Saints into Lachie Whitfield?

Bluthy wrote:I just switched on the tv and i think I heard Barrett say St Kilda are seriously into Lachie Whitfield. Apparently he was pissed off how his ban went down. I think he said something about training at our club?? Is under contract but we have picks to trade.
Well discontent can provide the opportunity to lure a player. Happy players tend not to move. So if he feels let down by the GWS Staff the opportunity will be there to snag him.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

dragit wrote:The no d**khead policy seems to be wildly variable.
Seems a bit sanctimonious?

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Jaxons?

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Has his performance for a No. 1 pick been a bit underwhelming, Bluthy? Perhaps the drugs suspension might be the catalyst for him fulfilling his undoubted potential. Just the sort we need, if he gets his act together. I wonder how the forum will respond, given plenty didn't want Dusty because of so-called behavioural problems. No prior for Dusty, a nasty one for Lachie. Forgive and forget? As long as we don't sell the farm for him. A clever move if we can lever him out of GWS without paying too high a price.
It's amazing how these GWS/GC top picks escape close scrutiny really. Poor old Jack Watts cops a hammering year after year but GWS no. 1 pick - meh - like a tennis ball if its a bit flat just get a new one out of the tin - no biggie.

He's going to turn 23 this year, 72 games under his belt so should know what he's doing. Had a great QF against Swans 27 touches, 6 marks, a goal, listed in the best. 22 disposals 7 marks in the prelim was solid again so can hold up in big games which is where they good players really shine. Averaged 20 touches 6 marks all year which is pretty solid in that wing role I think he did. He's pretty outside but that is the role he plays at GWS and what we need. Just being a regular in the GWS 22 says a lot.

Maybe a bit like Steele he struggles to impose himself in the team with the riches GWS have. If he came to use would he become more dominating maybe being able to be played on ball a lot where he can hunt it more and really get his mojo going? But would be versatile like a lot of our team now with some nice height able to play wing, half forward maybe even a running back if his kicking and decision making is good.

That whole incident was so damn weird you can't help think there was more to it. But then footy players do weird things - like burning dwarfs or waving chopsticks around at randoms. I don't think it would dent our desire for him much. He is young and sounds like he had a d**khead advising him. IF he wants out and nominates us, these days that puts you in a really strong bargaining position. And we've got the picks to get a deal done if we really want him.

I still come down to the fact that Carlisles clock is ticking at 26. Hes' in his peak and we want to maximise our flag chances with him (while still feeding strong young blood in to keep us up for a while - tricky balancing act). Whitfield is the perfect age/experience to give us that class outside run and skill in our midfield we are missing right from the get go next year and could conceivably push us into top 4 contention if others come on too. Juicy prospect

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Harvey To Hayes wrote:
Seems a bit sanctimonious?
I don't actually care that much to be honest, but I'm sure everyone on here would be rapt if paddy went on a bender to the point where he didn't even know what drugs he had been hoovering down, was then banned for 6 months after hiding at a coaches house to avoid drug testers.

We don't want Martin cause he's a s*** bloke and has tatts, but whizzy Whitfield is okay.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The term 'd**khead' is certainly open to interpretation.

There's been many Saints players over the years that I've come across in various scenarios, and I've thought they're utter dickheads. But their teammates love them.

Saint wagga
Club Player

He's a gun and would be such a good fit for us from a pure playing sense!! As for the no dickheads policy...two or three years ago I was absolutely against bringing in players with baggage, but as we've developed a nucleus of young gun solid citizens my stance has softened big time and I'd go after him with the kitchen sink! I think with a strong young core, we can absorb the odd party boy...plus, Nothing like a public scandal and embarrassment to make someone wise up and become more mature! He'd be a great get!

shrodes
SS Life Member

We'll have to get rid of Billy then

Saint wagga
Club Player

A little bit cleaner but that is exactly the sort of bully boy physicality that I want longer doing more often, more effectively and more to our players advantage! He's never going to match hickey around the ground and agility wise, so he must become a damaging physical presence that genuinely intimidates the opposition mids at stoppages! His marking and tank will improve with age and training. But does he have genuine mongrel? That's his challenge imo

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Sometime second chances work out....

Gold Coast Suns players Campbell Brown and Maverick Weller in Thai holiday shame

Stephen Drill, Michelle Ainsworth, HeraldSun
September 15, 2011 12:00am

UPDATE 8.23am: FOUR Gold Coast Suns players, including deputy vice-captain Campbell Brown, were detained and handcuffed in Thailand after allegedly being involved in a fight during an end-of-season trip.
Brown, along with first-year players Maverick Weller, Joel Wilkinson and Jacob Gillbee were taken into custody by Thai police after the altercation.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Weller was all but free?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:Weller was all but free?
Yes. But my point was that it is pretty silly to rule out someone due to running off the rails the one time.

In Whifield's case too 2 senior club officials were involved.

wally
Club Player

If he wants out we should go for it. Price/trade would be kept manageable.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

No thanks he is another Fiora...

SuperDuper
Club Player

wally wrote:If he wants out we should go for it. Price/trade would be kept manageable.
Yes... and he aint no Fiora

A very good Target and type for us IMO... still only 22... so people knocking his output so far have gone too early
He has been good but at his age he still has another level in him IMO

Rocket
Club Player

For what's it's worth - Comes from a mad Saints family.

jaxons
Club Player

prwilkinson wrote:Jaxons?
Can't say too much but it is a smokescreen.
Won't elaborate further so please don't ask.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:Jaxons?
Can't say too much but it is a smokescreen.
Won't elaborate further so please don't ask.
Good news thanks Jaxons...