Acres and Billings the keys to the Kingdom

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Acres and Billings the keys to the Kingdom

In order for us to reach the pinnacle in the next few years Jack Billings and Blake Acres need to turn into A Graders in the next couple of years and I have confidence they will. Both possess traits that we have lacked previously and I know internally both are rated extremely highly;

Acres: heard from a source close to the club he's 193cm now (could be the old footy boot trick) but he was rated by many astute judges as a potential 'elite' and he was the steal of the 2013 'super draft'. With many big mids the time for adjustment to the game tempo is crucial.. He appeared to adjust in the second half of the year averaging around 22 or 23 disposals a game. He will be every bit Mundy is and then some.. Not entirely quick but a prolific ball winner with a terrific football brain. He is exactly what we need right now and that is a big bodied mid who can get clearances. I believe he will turn into a solid B grader this year with eyes for next year being an A header.

Billings- Hes silk, he's smooth and he's dual sided.. At 185cm he isn't small like he's perceived.. His knock is his contested football but with more of a focus and with compliments of Acres, Armo, Steven, Steele, Stevens he should be well fed. We have seen himself glimpses of his game breaking and game changing ability and this year WILL imo be the year of Jackie B (A Grader)

I would love to pick up a Dusty or Josh Kelly to throw into our midfield with natural progression coming from our forwards and backs I believe we're in a very good position if the two above live up to their potential

Keen to hear other forumites thoughts on the two or others U believe will turn into A Graders

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Acres and Billings the keys to the Kingdom

A lot of supporters, me included, have high hopes for Acres as a potential game breaker.

Yes he makes some daft decisions and reportedly is doing time in the twos for not working on the defensive side to his game. But I saw enough of him last season to be excited about what he can become.

He may not start Round 1, which seems a shame as his first real standout game was against the same opposition last season. But team rules is team rules and must be adhered to.

I'm sure we'll see plenty of him this season and in seasons to come.

As for Billings, we all know what he is capable of. Hopefully he gets a good run with injuries this season and can produce on a consistent basis

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Agreed. Billings is silk. If his body is right, he could be anything. Stronger overhead than most think, beautiful kick and smart reader of the play. I think he could be the perfect complementary factor to our strong, inside mid group. Acres has all the potential, but I'm mystified by the way he's been managed. In AR we trust, but it seems he is punished more quickly than some others.

Gresham's the other one I think could be genuinely elite. Quick, smart and skilful, it was hard at times last year to believe he was a first year player. Of the rest, you would hope a number one pick in Paddy would be a certainty for elite status, but the jury's still out for me. He has to start nailing his set shots and simply produce more goals to take the step up. This year will be crucial. Coming into his third year and with a big body, I expect him to make some significant strides. It could be a while yet before we see him at his best, but he certainly has the potential.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Acres ball use worries me, but he gets it, and his movement impacts the game where he just gets it heaps over a small period of time. Then can go missing.

Billings will be totally outside by direction of the coach and strategy. Awesome kick and user, had a good pre-season.

Anyone else impressed with Zak Jones? Wow thought he was good on Sunday, he was picked just ahead of Acres by memory...

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote: Anyone else impressed with Zak Jones? Wow thought he was good on Sunday, he was picked just ahead of Acres by memory...
Pick 15

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
dragit
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:But team rules is team rules and must be adhered to.
Which team rules has he been breaking over the pre-season?

The club has been trotting out some line about poor disposal… let's hope they don't outsmart themselves playing bad cop, I would hate to see him leave for better opportunity.

Acres last 5 games
22.4 Disposals
13.4 Kicks
4 Tackles
4.6 Marks
4.2 i50
0.6 Goals

Compared to Bont's 2016
24.4 Disposals
11.6 Kicks
4.7 Tackles
3.8 Marks
4.3 i50
1 Goals

I think he's earnt the right to be in our starting line-up for round 1.

Saint wagga
Club Player

dragit wrote:

The club has been trotting out some line about poor disposal… let's hope they don't outsmart themselves playing bad cop, I would hate to see him leave for better opportunity.

Acres last 5 games
22.4 Disposals
13.4 Kicks
4 Tackles
4.6 Marks
4.2 i50
0.6 Goals

Compared to Bont's 2016
24.4 Disposals
11.6 Kicks
4.7 Tackles
3.8 Marks
4.3 i50
1 Goals

I agree Dragit, too much emphasis being placed on 'pre season form' bla bla bla...unlike the disclaimer at the end of the superannuation adds that make the point that past performance isn't a reliable indicator of future performance...I dare say, If your looking to guage someones ability at AFL senior footy...the best indicator is there most recent ability at AFL senior footy...hence why the Hickey Longer debate is garbage, and why half of our seasoned quality players roll thru pre season at 80%. If and it appears he will Acres isn't in our rd 1 side, it'll be dissapointing, but I'm pretty confident he'll work his way into our best 22 before long and hopefully he can be a key contributor this year to us making the top 8!!

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:

Acres last 5 games
22.4 Disposals
13.4 Kicks
4 Tackles
4.6 Marks
4.2 i50
0.6 Goals

Compared to Bont's 2016
24.4 Disposals
11.6 Kicks
4.7 Tackles
3.8 Marks
4.3 i50
1 Goals

I see last week they wanted him to learn to run both ways. Presumably that is something that is insisted upon, ie, a team rule.

The week before last it was disposal issues.

Personally I agree with you and would play him Round 1, but the selectors may see it differently.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

It's very hard to make your case for the side if you aren't afforded the opportunities in the lead up games…

Jack Steele coming off an injury and limited pre-season gets to play all 3 JLT matches, does very well and now looks like playing round 1. Nothing against Jack who looks like a ripper, but I can't see how he should be given more chances than Blake to stake his claim.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Word on Blake Acres was they wanted to get a full four quarters in the midfield for him... So i assume it was a fitness thing..

Will play round 1

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

mightysainters wrote:Word on Blake Acres was they wanted to get a full four quarters in the midfield for him... So i assume it was a fitness thing..

Will play round 1
He could play for Sandringham again this week yeah? In fact, Does anybody know who is getting another run under their belts with Sandy this week?

To the top
SS Life Member

It would make sense to me that Steele, coming off a restricted pre season and coming from another Club, and Stevens, coming from another Club, would have been afforded maximum playing time for the reasons which are obvious.

That focus on introduction to team would have compromised the rotations - so one mid was left at Sandringham and playing maximum time at Sandringham.

Of course, then Stevens could not play - but Acres was not in Albury.

So the load on the remaining mids was probably in excess of plans - and Steele got his maximum.

I would not read more into it than this.

Acres is a "Gun".

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

We definitely need a different shape and type to the Armo/Ross/Dunstan/Steele/Stevens onball types. Whether Billings could be a genuine onballer still sticks in my mind. Whether he can get the full on endurance to chase that footy all over the park all day is the question. We could use his creativity and play-making in there desperately particularly if we can't land a classy big trade fish.

We keep talking about potential but really want to see some rubber hitting the road from Billings and Acres this year. Gresham as second yearer is hard to expect much from. It still feels like what we missed drafting was that pick 1 - 3 classy genuine onballer you build your midfield around. Maybe thats where Billings comes in.

Yes we have two first rounders next year which is a good chance to get a talented young mid but they are going to take time to come on if used and may not be that high up - although we might be able to bundle them up to a team like Carlton desperate for mulitple top 20 picks to upgrade. And we keep our fingers crossed for dark horses like Phillips or Sinclair - sometimes a guy comes from nowhere and shows AFL level brilliance that has you counting your lucky stars (cough Steven cough)

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Agree Bluthy the other thing we need is some break away or separation abilities which Acres has in spades! How good will our midfield look if Freeman ever reaches his potential - scary!