Gilbo & Geary

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo & Geary

ok guys time to set yourselves straight, hands up all who were willing to have these players banished , and please don't give me the old line of .."i called as I seen it at the time " doesn't wash when it comes to appreciating potential

Don't be afraid :)

and the end of the day it's all about having some sort of faith in what we have but most importantly having some savy in potential ...some on here lack that ability in spades. you know who you are.

your silence will be noted :) :) :)
Last edited by The Fireman on Sun 12 Mar 2017 10:32pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gilbo & Geary

ARe you going to keep going on like this all year Firey? These guys are not above criticism. Most of it has been been quite measured. Last I checked we haven't won a flag which is the ultimate measure that you got your list (and other stuff) right. But you act like Geary and Gilbo have just won joint Brownlow medals or something. Maybe relax a little and stop being so defensive. Are you related to them or something?

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:ARe you going to keep going on like this all year Firey? These guys are not above criticism. Most of it has been been quite measured. Last I checked we haven't won a flag which is the ultimate measure that you got your list (and other stuff) right. But you act like Geary and Gilbo have just won joint Brownlow medals or something. Maybe relax a little and stop being so defensive. Are you related to them or something?
thank you # 1

next please :)

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

So your post is on how Gilbert helped turned the game back our way tonight?

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:So your post is on how Gilbert helped turned the game back our way tonight?
really ? come on...you don't think Gilbo has improved dramatically recently ? are you one of those that I'm talking about ? cool..just say so.

To the top
SS Life Member

Gilbert is a 194cm, 94kg running back who can also fill other positions, including key defensive positions so, together with Roberton, he forms a very significant advantage for St Kilda in this competition.

Geary is a 183cm, lock down defender, honest and with great courage - but 183cm players are run of the mill in this competition so needs to be elite because there is the competition - and even at St Kilda we have plenty lining up so the pressure is on and will remain on.

Can Geary go into the mid-field and turn the result of a game?

THAT is where we must improve.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Bluthy wrote:ARe you going to keep going on like this all year Firey? These guys are not above criticism. Most of it has been been quite measured. Last I checked we haven't won a flag which is the ultimate measure that you got your list (and other stuff) right. But you act like Geary and Gilbo have just won joint Brownlow medals or something. Maybe relax a little and stop being so defensive. Are you related to them or something?
thank you # 1

I like the way you've now just created a criticism topic for Gear and Gilbo. Oh how we hurt the ones we love.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

exactly "to the top " but I was simply trying to winkle out the knockers of these two player in the past. I've heard from one already. :)

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
thank you # 1

I like the way you've now just created a criticism topic for Gear and Gilbo. Oh how we hurt the ones we love.
really ??? that's exactly why i started this thread , are you that dumb you can't see that ??

shrodes
SS Life Member

I still see Gilbo as a liability at times, but when he's on he is very important. Happy to say I've never had a knock on Geary and he's improved a lot over the last 18 months.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:exactly "to the top " but I was simply trying to winkle out the knockers of these two player in the past. I've heard from one already. :)
I like knockers
Especially when they winkle

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Yes 2 years ago..

Lst year Geary won me back.. Gilbert still hasn't.. Prefer dempster

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

mightysainters wrote:Yes 2 years ago..

Lst year Geary won me back.. Gilbert still hasn't.. Prefer dempster
hmmm...the knockers easing their way back...like it :)

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
The Fireman wrote:
thank you # 1

really ??? that's exactly why i started this thread , are you that dumb you can't see that ??

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Jacks Back wrote:
The Fireman wrote:exactly "to the top " but I was simply trying to winkle out the knockers of these two player in the past. I've heard from one already. :)
I like knockers
Especially when they winkle
Last time I winkled out some knockers I got my face slapped.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

good old Bluthy :) nothing has changed .

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

That he had talent has never been in doubt...

An acceptable standard of performance expectation for a player that demonstrated what he was capable of producing over the 08-10 era is what has always been the talking point for me.

And I expect a lot more than excellent preseason games from Gilbert

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:That he had talent has never been in doubt...

An acceptable standard of performance expectation for a player that demonstrated what he was capable of producing over the 08-10 era is what has always been the talking point for me.

And I expect a lot more than excellent preseason games from Gilbert
not as much as what i expect from some of our supporters :)

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I don't think Gilbert is needed in an otherwise competent team. He doesn't have a set position and he can't be relied upon to consistently play a role. But he can plug gaps. So when we were going into a game with a horribly undersized and injury prone defence he could float in and help out. When we had a slow, undersized midfield we could throw him in there and he'd win a few contested possessions. When our forward line was a man named Nick Riewoldt who had 3 opponents we could throw Gilbert forward of the ball and he'd surprise everyone and take a mark. But when we have a balanced, functional team then I don't think there's any need for a guy who isn't quite reliable enough to be a defender, smart enough to be a midfielder or skilled enough to be a forward. For f***'s sake let's give Acres a chance to be that damaging utility instead of a guy who hasn't played a good season of football in seven years.

Geary however is a genuinely important lock-down defender. Tonight there wasn't an obvious opponent for him but when we're playing Adelaide (Betts), Hawthorn (Rioli) or Freo (Walters) we absolutely need Geary to stop those guys from tearing us a new one.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Gilbo and Geary...I can't remember ever praising Gilbo. Ever.
Great clubman. Wonderful effort and work ethic. But...
I always said Gilbo was a liability; although he works his butt off, and has a huge heart, he overestimates his own abilities at times
and ruins the good work of his team-mates.
Liability with a huge L.

Gears- I have worried whenever he had the ball in his hands.
When he is shutting down Betts or any other small or medium forward, you can put money on him to dowse them like a fireman.
But turnovers, poor kicks, messy handballs, can get run down from behind...
He got better last year as guys up the ground learned to present a lot better than in earlier years...

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:I don't think Gilbert is needed in an otherwise competent team. He doesn't have a set position and he can't be relied upon to consistently play a role. But he can plug gaps. So when we were going into a game with a horribly undersized and injury prone defence he could float in and help out. When we had a slow, undersized midfield we could throw him in there and he'd win a few contested possessions. When our forward line was a man named Nick Riewoldt who had 3 opponents we could throw Gilbert forward of the ball and he'd surprise everyone and take a mark. But when we have a balanced, functional team then I don't think there's any need for a guy who isn't quite reliable enough to be a defender, smart enough to be a midfielder or skilled enough to be a forward. For f***'s sake let's give Acres a chance to be that damaging utility instead of a guy who hasn't played a good season of football in seven years.

Gilbert was a defender tonight. While I like Acres surely you cannot truly be advocating that he could play the role that Gilbert played in defense tonight? The Swans structured up with tall forwards of Tippett, Buddy and Reid.

Or are you proposing that someone else in the 22 would instead have played down back in Gilbert's role. If so who?

Acres needs to displace a mid/hf and not a defender.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

The Fireman wrote:ok guys time to set yourselves straight, hands up all who were willing to have these players banished , and please don't give me the old line of .."i called as I seen it at the time " doesn't wash when it comes to appreciating potential

Don't be afraid :)

and the end of the day it's all about having some sort of faith in what we have but most importantly having some savy in potential ...some on here lack that ability in spades. you know who you are.

your silence will be noted :) :) :)
I've always been a fan of Gilbert, tall, attacking,quick, flexible, he'd probably be valued by most clubs. Unfortunately required to play tall-back at St Kilda, a role he's not ideally suited, yet does a satisfactory job. The addition of Brown & Carslile may give Gilbert the opportunity to flourish in a more attacking role.

Geary's always been an average size, working class, half back with pretty average skills but a determined hard working attitude. I've always considered him one of Ross Lyon's 'role players', like Clint, McWalter & Eddy. Admittedly Geary made a very solid contribution in 2016. Whilst he may be a good bloke, I'm not in favour of making him captain, I'd rather he compete with Dempster, McKenzie, Roberton, Montagna etc for that position in the backline.

Will we win a flag with both of these players....not sure...if we have better players comming through who push them out of the 22...then we'll be a pretty good team...and a possible premier.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

This seems to be a moot point. One has been made captain, so he's an automatic selection when fit. The other one seems to be well regarded by AR and the coaching staff, valued for his versatility, which is, after all, AR's new mantra. He's in the side until someone pushes him out. If that someone does, it's a great sign for the team. If not, I hope he plays up to his 2010 form which saw him in discussions for AA honours. That was a long time ago. For both of them, the knock seems to be that the difference between their best and worst is too great. Both seem to be important to team structure and roles. In Alan we trust.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
To the top
SS Life Member

What is not referred to is Gilbert missing the amount of football he missed thru injury - and at the same time Fisher missed an amount of footy with injury.

Those injuries cost us thru those couple of seasons.