JLT 3 vs Sydney

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

JLT 3 vs Sydney

JLT 3 vs Sydney

Squad

1. Tom Hickey, 2. Jake Carlisle, 3. Jack Steven, 4. Jade Gresham, 5. Shane Savage, 6. Seb Ross, 7. Luke Dunstan, 8. Blake Acres, 9. Jack Steele, 12. Nick Riewoldt, 13. Jack Lonie, 14. Jarryd Geary, 15. Jack Billings, 16. Jack Newnes, 17. Dylan Roberton, 18. Billy Longer, 19. Sam Gilbert, 20. David Armitage, 22. Nathan Brown, 24. Sean Dempster, 25. Koby Stevens, 27. Josh Bruce, 28. Tim Membrey, 29. Jimmy Webster, 32. Paddy McCartin, 34. Nathan Wright, 44. Mav Weller

Pretty much a full side minus Joey. The squad is to be trimmed from 27 to 24 on game day.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: JLT 3 vs Sydney

From last week's team

IN: Nick Riewoldt, Jarryn Geary, Sam Gilbert, Mav Weller, Dylan Roberton, Tom Hickey
OUT: Ben Long, Bailey Rice, Jack Sinclair, Daniel McKenzie, Darren Minchington
Last edited by shrodes on Thu 09 Mar 2017 5:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Beno88 wrote:JLT 3 vs Sydney

Squad

1. Tom Hickey, 2. Jake Carlisle, 3. Jack Steven, 4. Jade Gresham, 5. Shane Savage, 6. Seb Ross, 7. Luke Dunstan, 8. Blake Acres, 9. Jack Steele, 12. Nick Riewoldt, 13. Jack Lonie, 14. Jarryd Geary, 15. Jack Billings, 16. Jack Newnes, 17. Dylan Roberton, 18. Billy Longer, 19. Sam Gilbert, 20. David Armitage, 22. Nathan Brown, 24. Sean Dempster, 25. Koby Stevens, 27. Josh Bruce, 28. Tim Membrey, 29. Jimmy Webster, 32. Paddy McCartin, 34. Nathan Wright, 44. Mav Weller

Pretty much a full side minus Joey. The squad is to be trimmed from 27 to 24 on game day.

Thought Sinclair was pretty good last week.

Webster back in town for HFB hopefully.

Longer being named continues to point towards a R1 spot surely? One more cut off tomorrow.

Who gets cut? Probably Lonie, Longer and Acres?

Saint wagga
Club Player

If Carlisle, Brown and Roberton are all locks for rd 1, the makeup of the back 6 is pretty tricky...assuming now Joey doesn't get up for rd 1 and DMac is now behind Webster and savag after being cut for the JLT 3 squad this is my starting back 6 for rd 1 obvioulsy baring further injury:

Geary Brown Webster
Savage Carlisle Roberton

I think it's tall enough with 3 talls and Riewoldt providing more floating height on the wing. From a purely personal favourite/ club stalwart perspcetive, I'd rather see Dempster in front of Brown, but reading all the signs and press, it looks like the powers that be are keen on Brown. Gilbert is obviously unlucky and maybe finds a spot on the bench/very good depth backup now, or he easily comes in for one of savage and webster...i personally prefer Webster for his toughness and more defensive mindset!

Saint wagga
Club Player

Minchington is also out, so Lonie and Wright fighting for that small defensive forward spot. Personally I'd rather persevere with Lonie as he is by far the more natural forward/goal kicker...but i like Wright too for his pace and toughness, if he can regularly hit the scoreboard and roll thru the midfield at time, I wont be at all dissapointed to have him in the side!

stkfc1
Club Player

Saint wagga wrote:Minchington is also out, so Lonie and Wright fighting for that small defensive forward spot. Personally I'd rather persevere with Lonie as he is by far the more natural forward/goal kicker...but i like Wright too for his pace and toughness, if he can regularly hit the scoreboard and roll thru the midfield at time, I wont be at all dissapointed to have him in the side!
I think its Wright's to lose. He's not the most gifted footballer, doesn't have the silky skills but he's hard as cats head, super quick and has a knack for kicking goals. He and Mav give us a real hard edge up forward. Dont think to many oppostion defensive units are going to be looking forward to playing us this year.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Squad

Who doesn't know our captain's name?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Bernard Shakey wrote:

Squad

Who doesn't know our captain's name?
saints.com.au

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

No Brandon White - so he won't even get one praccie game. Is he injured? Surely they can't be punishing him for not coming back in top shape by not even giving him one game.

That's a pretty mature squad. This talk of us being "so young" is rubbish. Sandy will be young but not our firsts.

stevie
Saintsational Legend

What is the reason for the late kickoff for this game? I assume the 710 start is daylight saving time. But why would a Sunday practice match start so late?

Still can't belive the timing of the Suns/dogs game last night. It started at 450pm local time. On a Thursday night. Apparently there was bugger all there so have no idea why the suns would play on a Thursday night and start at a silly time!

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:No Brandon White - so he won't even get one praccie game. Is he injured? Surely they can't be punishing him for not coming back in top shape by not even giving him one game.

That's a pretty mature squad. This talk of us being "so young" is rubbish. Sandy will be young but not our firsts.
You're kidding right? Theres 13 guys under 25 and 8 under 23, how much younger do you want them to be?

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:
Bluthy wrote:No Brandon White - so he won't even get one praccie game. Is he injured? Surely they can't be punishing him for not coming back in top shape by not even giving him one game.

You're kidding right? Theres 13 guys under 25 and 8 under 23, how much younger do you want them to be?

Players like Sinclair, Webster, Acres might only get 1 game depending on who gets cut for Sunday - very reasonable that he doesn't play if behind, he was never going to be entitled to 3, probably entitled to 1 and that's gone.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

stevie wrote:What is the reason for the late kickoff for this game? I assume the 710 start is daylight saving time. But why would a Sunday practice match start so late?

Still can't belive the timing of the Suns/dogs game last night. It started at 450pm local time. On a Thursday night. Apparently there was bugger all there so have no idea why the suns would play on a Thursday night and start at a silly time!
Monday is a holiday in Victoria.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
stevie
Saintsational Legend

But not in NSW. Or has Lavington moved?

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

I think Long and Sinclair are unlucky and Wright is vulnerable. Love the pressure for spots even if it is a practice match.
No doubt a win is desired. We must begin the real season strongly and target no less than a 4/6 first start to the season if we are fair dinkum.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:No Brandon White -
Yes, this game is all about fine-tuning who will be in Round One Team.

Bluthy wrote: so he won't even get one praccie game. Is he injured? Surely they can't be punishing him for not coming back in top shape by not even giving him one game.

I would think of it more that they are rewarding those that have done the right thing.

Why should someone who has not done what was required get preference?

The exciting thing at present is that near enough is no longer considered good enough.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

CQ SAINT wrote:I think Long and Sinclair are unlucky and Wright is vulnerable. Love the pressure for spots even if it is a practice match.
No doubt a win is desired. We must begin the real season strongly and target no less than a 4/6 first start to the season if we are fair dinkum.
yep it is only a practise match but this is going to be the look 2017
and yes they have the win firmly in sights
Personally because I dont get to see the sandy games - i would have liked to see the kids get more of a run
There is plenty of competition for non key positions spots- so I would not be counting Montagna an immediate inclusion - in fact if he is playing at the end of the year - i think we might be in a spot of trouble

Seeya
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BringBackMadDog wrote:

The average age of an AFL player is 25. So only 8 players under 23 out of 27 doesn't strike me a hugely young - not old but not hugely young and reflects where we finished on the ladder. I think because many of us here are crotchity 40 yo's we think 24 yo's are babies but in AFL terms they aren't. A player aged 24 has six years in the system and if they are any good should be at least at that 50 game mark and have a solid AFL tank, good size and know what they are doing out there.

I would argue that many players hit their prime in the 24-27 age bracket. A big section of players are out of the game by 28 as the brutal game of AFL can give them crippling injuries, niggling injuries that slow them down, have more trouble keeping the weight off for the modern running game, struggle to recover as quick week to week etc. The ones that make it after 28 have a high footy intelligence where they can use their footy wisdom, high skills and play reading to keep them effective players.

That's my point about us being this "young team" and we have time to burn - its relative to the rest of the comp. Every team usually gets at least 5 18yo's in each year. GWS and Dogs would have a younger list than ours and they are playing finals. We aren't really that young a list - no we aren't ancient but not hugely young.

I've seen too many teams sitting just outside the finals, like Richmond, losing valuable time thinking their 22-25 yo players give them a lot of time up their sleeve. But they don't realise that a lot of their players are now in their prime and the clock is ticking. If they aren't getting valuable finals experience, and giving the coaches the chance to see which of them has high level skills to handle the congested, high pressure environment of finals. Carlisle is 25, hasn't played for a year and I don't know if he's played a final. Do Weller and Savage have what it takes when the pressure is at the fiercest? Everyone is raving about Geary being the new Dal Santo with his disposal but how will he go in finals where they are few safe kicks he now relies on? These and more burning questions need to be answered sooner rather than later.

We miss finals this year then our 24 yos are a year and a half older next chance at finals. That is a big amount of time missed. We invested a lot in Carlisle who is 26 and has missed a whole year of footy - he's in his prime, has had injuries - the clock is ticking big time on him if he is to be a central plank in our flag tilt. I'm trying to get the point across they we don't have the time to burn that many think we do. Thats why they have set the flag timeline for 2020 and not later. I would argue that our list is better describe as mid-range rather than young. Hence why they brought in guys like Brown and Stevens - its a reflection that the club powers think our time is now, not in two years time.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

They look like they are setting up for a fast start to the regular season. I know it's only a practice game but with that squad I would expect a win or very tight loss at best.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Premium89
Club Player

stkfc1 wrote: I think its Wright's to lose. He's not the most gifted footballer, doesn't have the silky skills but he's hard as cats head, super quick and has a knack for kicking goals.
Does he ever!... just watched the replay of the Carlton JLT game earlier, and pretty much all his goals seem to come out of the bottom of packs! Remember a few of his from a game last year that came in very similar circumstances.
And Jeez he makes them look like hard work too... but that's fine, as long as they're going through the big sticks.

The manner of a lot of his goals is the polar opposite to the gresh.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Any updates on the team list?
Longer and Holmes played yesterday so would they be asked to double up?

Seeya
longtimesaint
Club Player

sunsaint wrote:Any updates on the team list?
Longer and Holmes played yesterday so would they be asked to double up?
Longer, Dempster and Acres played yesterday so they will be the three to come out of the original squad.

One year will be our year
Playon
Club Player

Zed wrote:They look like they are setting up for a fast start to the regular season. I know it's only a practice game but with that squad I would expect a win or very tight loss at best.
Swans going in light... Injuries involved. I would of liked to see us take on their full strength side
Notable absentees: Aliir Aliir, Jarrad McVeigh, Isaac Heeney, Tom Papley, Kieren Jack, Gary Rohan

Playon
Club Player

Final side

ST KILDA
Out: Blake Acres, Sean Dempster, Billy Longer

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

what's the time over there, the AFL app says the game is "live Now" but it doesn't start for another 20 minutes

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee