Jack No.6 - Steeley resolve

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Jack No.6 - Steeley resolve

do we know what his nickname is?
http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... uskrj.html
The 21-year-old was a shining light for the Saints in their massive 92-point win over Carlton in a pre-season mis-match at Ikon Park on Saturday, picking up 25 touches and standing out alongside fellow two fellow Jacks - Billing and Steven.

Steele struggled no nail down a spot in the talent-laden GWS team last year and was cruelled by a foot injury in September. Come trade time he made his way to the Saints, swapped for a second-round pick in this year's draft.

"It's definitely my goal to crack the midfield for round one. I haven't had a full pre-season, I've been injured for half of it," Steele said.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: Jack No.6 - Steeley resolve

Is Steele everything we hoped Freeman would be?
Is he the replacement for Freezer?
I haven't compared their sizes, so don't know.
But, again, we give thanks to the Giants.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

WellardSaint wrote:Is Steele everything we hoped Freeman would be?
But, again, we give thanks to the Giants.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Is Steele everything we hoped Freeman would be?
Well the answer to that is no, for while they are both mids Freeman was targeted as a very a fast, outside mid. Someone to break the lines.
Steele is more your inside mid that is also meant to be a handy half forward.

2013 Player Profile:

STRENGTHS

Freeman's a dasher: he's fast, and he knows it. He loves to get the ball and then run off, and he has the speed to get away. At the NAB AFL Draft Combine he ran 2.82 seconds over the 20-metre sprint, second this year and in the top-10 for testing history. He then won the repeat sprints (24.62 seconds) and backed it up with his endurance, coming 10th in the beep test (level 14.10). Having the electric burst and combining it with that aerobic capacity – something he had worked hard at developing – is a major strength. He can win his own touches, and for the Dragons averaged 10 contested disposals a game. He is also a smart clearance player, positioning his mature body in the right spots. Added to that, Freeman is an outgoing, lively and personable character who fits into any environment

Whereas for Steele:

The inside word
Medium forward/midfielder that suffered a knee injury in the middle of the year. Has exceptionally clean hands and rarely fumbles, makes smart decisions and is composed under pressure. A strong overhead mark makes him a threat in the air however his clearance work is also very good, it’s for this reason he can prove a very difficult opponent to match up on.

Ideally we want both, as they play two different roles. We could still do with the pace that Freeman can offer. Wright is one of very view very quick StKilda players at present.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saintbob
SS Life Member

Ideally Steele becomes a Lenny Hayes type clone and Freeman finally becomes the player everyone believed he would be with a little luck.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Freeman just needs to change his name to Jack - and all will be right with the world!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Much bigger risk drafting someone with recurrent hamstring problems if his biggest asset is pace. Said it back when we drafted him - if collingwood's vast wealth and access to the finest cutting edge treatment couldn't get him right, we aren't likely to. Two seasons with no return, likely to be three. That's a decent draft pick and three year contract that could have gone to someone actually giving some return. Just a terrible business decision and sporting decision. Still scratching my head over it.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

He has missed one season with us so far. Not two.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

desertsaint wrote:Much bigger risk drafting someone with recurrent hamstring problems if his biggest asset is pace. Said it back when we drafted him - if collingwood's vast wealth and access to the finest cutting edge treatment couldn't get him right, we aren't likely to. Two seasons with no return, likely to be three. That's a decent draft pick and three year contract that could have gone to someone actually giving some return. Just a terrible business decision and sporting decision. Still scratching my head over it.
I think he's playing for Sandringham this weekend. In my humble silly little opinion... everything the club is doing is building towards the 2018 season. If we taste finals or win 1 or two finals in 2017... excellent! But, landing a superstar... building the list up from within... the strong draft position the club now finds itself in this year... moving back to Moorabbin... even Freeman's long term rehab program itself. Everything suggests the club wants to be genuinely strong from 2018 on wards. Freeman could very well end up being the cherry on top of the cake.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
desertsaint wrote:Much bigger risk drafting someone with recurrent hamstring problems if his biggest asset is pace. Said it back when we drafted him - if collingwood's vast wealth and access to the finest cutting edge treatment couldn't get him right, we aren't likely to. Two seasons with no return, likely to be three. That's a decent draft pick and three year contract that could have gone to someone actually giving some return. Just a terrible business decision and sporting decision. Still scratching my head over it.
I think he's playing for Sandringham this weekend. In my humble silly little opinion... everything the club is doing is building towards the 2018 season. If we taste finals or win 1 or two finals in 2017... excellent! But, landing a superstar... building the list up from within... the strong draft position the club now finds itself in this year... moving back to Moorabbin... even Freeman's long term rehab program itself. Everything suggests the club wants to be genuinely strong from 2018 on wards. Freeman could very well end up being the cherry on top of the cake.
I hope you are right PR!

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
I hope you are right PR!

saint-stu
Club Player

Sainter_Dad wrote:Freeman just needs to change his name to Jack - and all will be right with the world!
Wright, Freeman, Brown. Starting a new collection!

1ac46a38
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Yep has missed one season, but two at Collingwood before that. That's three seasons with pretty much zero footy. Three seasons missed of developing a match hardened body. How has that effected his endurance? Am also leaning towards how you're thinking DS. Hope he proves me wrong.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I see your point, ds, but they had Davoren overseeing Freeman and we have Hornsby. Davoren was very ordinary with us as well and seems to be working his "magic" on the filth's list. Hornsby, on the other hand, is developing a superb reputation and record. I'm starting to worry about the freezer a tad, but I have faith in Hornsby, who has done a wonderful job with the rest of the list.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintbob wrote:Ideally Steele becomes a Lenny Hayes type clone and Freeman finally becomes the player everyone believed he would be with a little luck.
Watching Steele in that carlton game it jumped out to me that Steele really wants to be "the man" for us in the centre square. That's where the great mids strut their stuff. I loved some of his repeat efforts willing himself after the footy even when it looked like they were out. He had that "you aint getting it out on my watch" approach.

I suspect his move to us was based on wanting to not just play a role in a midfield but be the main guy. That shows a lot of confidence, even arrogance, that I like. He's a guy that wants to make things happen on and off the field. We need that in the middle. The best aren't happy just playing well, even playing extremely well. They want to dominate and be spoken of of being the best.

Love what he's shown so far with quick, intelligent hands - so important in the modern game. Showing great inside game. Need to see more of his kicking though to see how accurate he can be under pressure. I'm hoping he can be a legit inside/outside player for us. Takes less pressure off landing a big player from somewhere else.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

https://www.sen.com.au/news/2017/03/09/ ... he-saints/
David King has predicted that former GWS midfielder Jack Steele will have a fantastic debut season at new club St Kilda after being highly impressed by his first pre-season with the Saints.

The 21-year-old was one of St Kilda best in their 92 point thrashing of Carlton in their JLT Community Series clash last weekend, picking up 25 disposals, six marks, eight tackles and two goals.

King says that Steele is the type of player that any club would want in their line-up, believing the Saints to be the big winners from the trade which saw the club send their second round pick in the 2017 AFL National Draft to the Giants in exchange for the midfielder.

“He is the player every club is looking for - that bigger bodied midfielder that just wins his own ball,” the dual North Melbourne premiership player said on SEN’s The Run Home.

“I just watch Jack Steele work and he hunts. I just think he’ll be a fantastic get for them and he’ll have a fantastic year.”

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Pure Footy with David King and Glenn Luff

David King and Glenn Luff from Champion Data discusses the best performers of the JLT Series so far, the Saints v Dees debate, Chris Mayne, and the importance of Round 1.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY