After JLT2 who gets in for Round 1

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

After JLT2 who gets in for Round 1

After JLT2 who gets in for Round 1'? We have had two JLT's with one to go.

JLT3 should be interesting as I believe the club is going to field its choice of players who will play in round one with the exception of the Hickey v Longer Ruck battle as in this game Hickey will probably get his 80%+ of game time while Longer watches on.

LOCKS:

B: Geary - Brown - Dempster
HB: Webster - Carlisle - Roberton
C: Newnes - Armitage - Riewoldt
HF: Billings - McCartin - Weller
F: Wright - Bruce - Membrey
Foll: XXXX - Steven - Ross
Int: Gresham, Steele, , XXXX, XXXX

Possible: Hickey,Gilbert, Dunstan, Acres, Stevens, Savage, Longer, McKenzie
(My current tip would be Hickey, Dunstan and Gilbert)

Personally I would have Hickey as a lock too over Longer. However some do not at present and so I have for this exercised listed both as possibles. Only one will be in the 22 for Round 1 as we simply have too many wothy players now to waste one spot on an extra ruck. Swans game will be interesting on how Hickey goes.

Webster v Savage. Jimmy played a top game againt the week Blues. Needs to back it ap againt the Swan. I love his hardness.

SMALL FORWARD:
Wright looks to have this spot secured. While you would like him to win more ball, his pace is lightning, his pressure manic and he seems to have the knack of kicking goals out of packs. When the Saints improved their pace by injecting Wright and DMack we looked a much better team ad certainly won more games. They were not the only reason but I believe that pace helped. In his two JLT games and intraclub DMak is well below the form of last year. I supect he will not make Round 1, which then also strengths the case for DMak.

I thought Sinclair was very impressive. But our overall depth is much greater and the club will probably go for another mid rather than another small forward. However Sinclair also looks at home as a mid. However Round One Steele is now a lock.

Lonie has not done enough. He has not iced the goals when opportunities have presented and is not as physical as some of our other options. Minch is doing nothing wrong, but simply we have better options and agin our improved midfield depth counts aginst his selection.

Long was quite mouth watering in his cameo. However is suspended for 2 matches and so is not a possibility for Round 1.

BACKS

DMak is out of form and with Carlisle and Brown both locks for two key defensive posts, the place on the flanks have fierce competition. Webster against the week Blues stamped himself as a Round One candidate and here and now would be in front of Savage and DMack.

Robo just looked like a Rolls Royce in JLT1 and after last season is a lock for Round 1.

Gilbert is mr versatile and can play back or as a mid.

Dempter. Just plays that third back role superbly. The only reason why his spot may be in question is simply our aray of back options.

MIDS

Steele now looks to be a lock as well. Dunstan has been in super touch and that may see him keep Stevens out of the 22. Acres in the intraclub was poor but I thought his second half against the Blues was very, very good in the way he moved and used the ball. Their games against the Swans will be vital in deciding who makes the final 22.

Stevens has looked really good. However Dunstan has improved in the games so far and so will probably hold him out. Steeles hands inside will probably give him the spot in front of Stevens.

Gresham. Deserves his place, but he just screams that he will be a future elite player for us and as such I think our selection panel in any 50/50 selection calls will go for him in order to get games into him.

Acres: Is a player that I think most are hoping can step up to consistantly show the talent that we know he has. But how do we fit him in?

OTHERS

Billings has been very solid in all of his games so far and has been winning a lot of the ball, and then using it very well. Prior to the pre-season with all our new recruits his place may have been under threat. But with this fórm is a lock now for Round 1.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: After JLT2 who gets in for Round 1

Acres: Is a player that I think most are hoping can step up to consistantly show the talent that we know he has. But how do we fit him in?
Find a way.

He didn't set the world on fire yesterday, but didn't do a lot wrong either.

Point is if we're right about him he's a potential game-breaker and is ripe for a breakout season going on what he showed towards the end of 2016.

I just hope he hasn't been pushed down the pecking order because we've acquired talent from outside the club. IMO those are the guys should be made to earn their stripes and not be walk up starts just because they are new.

StPeter
Club Player

Dunstan definitely a lock-in for round 1, not so sure about Webster and Wright, although both will come under serious consideration.

I would also have Hickey as a lock-in but maybe the selectors not so sure.

I would also have Sinclair in the starting 22 but my feeling is he won't be selected.

Acres, despite a couple of impressive performances late last year, is still a long way off being a walk-up start for me. He still makes a lot of errors and lacks consistency.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Hickey, Gilbert, Dunstan, Acres and DMac for Webster, Dempster and the three gaps.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
jaxons
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:After JLT2 who gets in for Round 1'? We have had two JLT's with one to go.

JLT3 should be interesting as I believe the club is going to field its choice of players who will play in round one with the exception of the Hickey v Longer Ruck battle as in this game Hickey will probably get his 80%+ of game time while Longer watches on.

LOCKS:

B: Geary - Brown - Dempster
HB: Webster - Carlisle - Roberton
F: Wright - Bruce - Membrey
Foll: XXXX - Steven - Ross
Int: Gresham, Steele, , XXXX, XXXX

Possible: Hickey,Gilbert, Dunstan, Acres, Stevens, Savage, Longer, McKenzie
(My current tip would be Hickey, Dunstan and Gilbert)

Personally I would have Hickey as a lock too over Longer. However some do not at present and so I have for this exercised listed both as possibles. Only one will be in the 22 for Round 1 as we simply have too many wothy players now to waste one spot on an extra ruck. Swans game will be interesting on how Hickey goes.

Webster v Savage. Jimmy played a top game againt the week Blues. Needs to back it ap againt the Swan. I love his hardness.

SMALL FORWARD:
Wright looks to have this spot secured. While you would like him to win more ball, his pace is lightning, his pressure manic and he seems to have the knack of kicking goals out of packs. When the Saints improved their pace by injecting Wright and DMack we looked a much better team ad certainly won more games. They were not the only reason but I believe that pace helped. In his two JLT games and intraclub DMak is well below the form of last year. I supect he will not make Round 1, which then also strengths the case for DMak.

I thought Sinclair was very impressive. But our overall depth is much greater and the club will probably go for another mid rather than another small forward. However Sinclair also looks at home as a mid. However Round One Steele is now a lock.

Lonie has not done enough. He has not iced the goals when opportunities have presented and is not as physical as some of our other options. Minch is doing nothing wrong, but simply we have better options and agin our improved midfield depth counts aginst his selection.

Long was quite mouth watering in his cameo. However is suspended for 2 matches and so is not a possibility for Round 1.

BACKS

DMak is out of form and with Carlisle and Brown both locks for two key defensive posts, the place on the flanks have fierce competition. Webster against the week Blues stamped himself as a Round One candidate and here and now would be in front of Savage and DMack.

Robo just looked like a Rolls Royce in JLT1 and after last season is a lock for Round 1.

Gilbert is mr versatile and can play back or as a mid.

Dempter. Just plays that third back role superbly. The only reason why his spot may be in question is simply our aray of back options.

MIDS

Steele now looks to be a lock as well. Dunstan has been in super touch and that may see him keep Stevens out of the 22. Acres in the intraclub was poor but I thought his second half against the Blues was very, very good in the way he moved and used the ball. Their games against the Swans will be vital in deciding who makes the final 22.

Stevens has looked really good. However Dunstan has improved in the games so far and so will probably hold him out. Steeles hands inside will probably give him the spot in front of Stevens.

Gresham. Deserves his place, but he just screams that he will be a future elite player for us and as such I think our selection panel in any 50/50 selection calls will go for him in order to get games into him.

OTHERS

Billings has been very solid in all of his games so far and has been winning a lot of the ball, and then using it very well. Prior to the pre-season with all our new recruits his place may have been under threat. But with this fórm is a lock now for Round 1.
Dunstan a lock for Round 1.
Selectors will play Joey too for sure if fit.
Hickey a certainty for Round 1 because of how he went on Gawn in both matches last year.
Webster probably nudged in front of McKenzie yesterday.
Looks like it is Acres v Koby Stevens and Dempster v Gilbert for the last two spots.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Hopefully it is Hickey, Dempster and Koby (on form)

Saint wagga
Club Player

Great original post! I'd fill the gaps with hickey Dunstan and Montagna if fit, if joey isn't 100% I'd pick acres. I think hickey being a lock for rd 1 is based on more than just his good matchup form with Gawn...because otherwise we'd be debating if Ross, Weller and armo are picked for rd 1. If your a proven afl gun, pre season form means sweet f all!

Saint wagga
Club Player

Also, I think Weller will feel selection pressure this year if he doesn't impact the scoreboard enough or if he doesn't get enough of the ball...that defensive half forward flank will be competitive and the ability to roll tgruvtge midfield will be important imo

dragit
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:Dunstan a lock for Round 1.
Selectors will play Joey too for sure if fit.
Hickey a certainty for Round 1 because of how he went on Gawn in both matches last year.
Webster probably nudged in front of McKenzie yesterday.
Looks like it is Acres v Koby Stevens and Dempster v Gilbert for the last two spots.
Agree with the j-man…

Montagna walks into the side if fit, which sounds pretty likely.

Dunstan easily.

I think they will go with Savage over both Webster and McKenzie at this stage.

I'll spew if Acres plays VFL this year because we've recruited K.Stevens.

Steele has looked awesome but I imagine they will make him do some more time in the VFL before playing AFL coming off an injury.

The ruck is Hickey's spot to lose.

My Guess:

B: Geary - Brown - Roberton
HB: Savage - Carlisle - Dempster
F: Gresham - Bruce - Membrey
Foll: Hickey - Steven - Ross
Int: Gresham, Stevens, Dunstan, Montagna

I'd love to see Steele & Acres play most weeks

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

All I will add is there is going to be some talent in the Sandringham side this year - great depth & pressure on all positions!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

[quote="dragit]
[/quote]
looks about right, although i think Steele, Webster, and Acres are likely to be in the twenty two more times than not by seasons end. And i'd like to see Bruce at chf and mccartin the target.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
jaxons
Club Player

desertsaint wrote:[quote="dragit]
looks about right, although i think Steele, Webster, and Acres are likely to be in the twenty two more times than not by seasons end. And i'd like to see Bruce at chf and mccartin the target.[/quote][/quote]

You've left Nathan Wright out?
He is in the team for Round 1.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
looks about right, although i think Steele, Webster, and Acres are likely to be in the twenty two more times than not by seasons end. And i'd like to see Bruce at chf and mccartin the target.
[/quote]

He is in the team for Round 1.[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

Any updates to the team you posted a few weeks ago jaxons?

Does Steele get in now?

jaxons
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
jaxons wrote:

Any updates to the team you posted a few weeks ago jaxons?

Does Steele get in now?[/quote][/quote][/quote][/quote]

I had Steele in my first team didn't i?

jaxons
Club Player

HB: Webster - Carlisle - Montagna
Int: Steele, Acres, Dunstan, Wright

Left Out Gilbert, Savage, Dempster, Lonie, Longer. Sinclair, Minchington and Koby Stevens.

And I can make a case for all of them to be in!
Last edited by jaxons on Tue 07 Mar 2017 10:22am, edited 2 times in total.

To the top
SS Life Member

Those who would come under pressure are in the back 6 for mine.

So, in that predicted side, Savage, Dempster and Geary - and there are a number putting pressure on those positions in support of Carlisle, Brown and Roberton.

I would also have Gilbert as an automatic selection - and Montagna so that is where it gets really, really tight (as in one under
par performance)

I would not see Stevens in preference to Acres - and, in the 2 Trial games so far do not see that Stevens has shown enough including that Steele is in front of him on performance. To me it is Steele v Stevens.

Hickey, to me, is a automatic selection (form allowing).

The attacking 6 seems universally agreed, and Wright's pace and physicality is a revelation (defence option?).

Strange as it may seem, again given players putting pressure on - and don't forget Freeman as a long season evolves, I view that Weller and Membrey will be the 2 under pressure, because of Wright in the first instance and that they need to impact the scoreboard consistently.

The immediate response is going to be Membrey's goals in 2016 - 44 including his multiple 5 goal efforts - but against who?

Both Membrey and Weller have to maintain defensive pressure AND show they can kick multiple goals against top opposition, therefore contributing to results.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:B: Geary - Brown - Roberton
Int: Steele, Acres, Dunstan, Gilbert

Thanks!

Going to be hard to fit everyone in... especially when at full health!

Stevens, Longer, Sinclair, Dempster, Savage and McKenzie will be ready to go. It will be a case of needing to take your opportunity and keep yourself in the team!

jaxons
Club Player

Spinner wrote:
Int: Steele, Acres, Dunstan, Gilbert

Thanks!

Going to be hard to fit everyone in... especially when at full health!

Stevens, Longer, Sinclair, Dempster, Savage and McKenzie will be ready to go. It will be a case of needing to take your opportunity and keep yourself in the team!

Check my team again I edited it......

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Left Out Gilbert, Savage, Dempster, Lonie, Longer. Sinclair, Minchington and Koby Stevens.

Superb. The internal competition will be a boiling pot for improvement.

Long term only Montagna, Riewoldt and to a less extent Armitage will need to be replaced. A very even midfield group.

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

If I could pick the team for round one...

B: Dempster, Brown, Geary
HB: Savage, Carlisle, Roberton
C: Riewoldt, Armitage, Newnes
HF: Billings, McCartin, Weller
F: Wright, Bruce, Membrey

Foll: Hickey, Steven, Ross
Int: Acres, Dunstan, Montagna, Steele

Emg: Gresham, Gilbert, Webster

However I'd be surprised if Acres gets a gig and surprised if Gilbert doesn't. Really hoping they don't get carried away with pre season form and do something stupid like play Longer ahead of Hickey.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
[/quote]

not my team, dragits team. but interested who misses out for Wright, unless joey isn't fit, but if so wouldn't webster get a run!
Last edited by desertsaint on Tue 07 Mar 2017 11:58am, edited 1 time in total.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Nevermind my post above - saw dragit had gresham in twice. No dempster is a bit of a shock though.
Do hope Steele plays - just looked the part last week.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Pretty good. I'd find a spot for Gilbert, possibly ahead of Wright or Brown or Webster. Joey would be considered an automatic selection given his standing in the group but I think his position may come under threat this season.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

desertsaint wrote: not my team, dragits team. but interested who misses out for Wright, unless joey isn't fit, but if so wouldn't webster get a run!
Haha, he's that good I named him twice :)

I guess Wright would come in for the second Gresham, but I'd love to see Steele play on current showings.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

4 years ago we had as much depth as Lake Eyre. By next season, it will be more akin to the Kermadec Trench

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.