Hickey or Longer?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

supersaints
Club Player

Re: Hickey or Longer?

mightysainters wrote:Let's break it down.. We cannot, I repeat cannot play 2 ruckman its absolute suicide and never EVER works

Longer is definitely pushing for selection BUT Hickey was fantastic last year..

Compared to the best in the league:

Movement Around the ground Hickey is a 7/10 and Longer is a 5/10
kicking: hickey is a 7/10 and longer 6/10
Marking: hickey 9/10 and longer 6/10
Tap Ruck: hickey 7/10 and longer 7.5/10

This is of course my opinion but I just don't know how longer could be the number 1 unless Hickey has had a bad bad off season and hasn't worked hard enough
Well it worked for Hawthorn for three premierships in a row !!!... you need to do a bit of research before making outlandish statements. There will be times we will play two ruckman just as Hamill stated in his presser after flogging the Blues.

I trust the Saints Coaches ....more than I trust you and I I'd like to think that the Hawks cuz he might be a bit more savvy than you

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
lennyhaze
Club Player

supersaints wrote:
mightysainters wrote:Let's break it down.. We cannot, I repeat cannot play 2 ruckman its absolute suicide and never EVER works

This is of course my opinion but I just don't know how longer could be the number 1 unless Hickey has had a bad bad off season and hasn't worked hard enough
Well it worked for Hawthorn for three premierships in a row !!!... you need to do a bit of research before making outlandish statements. There will be times we will play two ruckman just as Hamill stated in his presser after flogging the Blues.

I trust the Saints Coaches ....more than I trust you and I I'd like to think that the Hawks cuz he might be a bit more savvy than you

Baring injury I cannot see how 2 ruckmen could fit in the side as neither can play forward even close to the level of those playing in that position.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Hickey will get a good run under his belt against Sydney this week. He seems to play quite well against the tall beard Maxy Gawn too. He's my tip for Round 1.

Playon
Club Player

How are you basing these figures? Longer had 1 mark and 2 kicks?
How do you get 6 out of 10 from that?
Based on math that would take Longer 10 games to get 10 marks,, 1 out of 10
and you can do the math for kicks

But then thats your theory how do you come to that conclusion. 6/10 from one mark

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Longer compares favourably to Mumford at the same age so who knows. He may yet break out.
But it aint happened yet.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Mummy lost 40 kegs from his heaviest. That made the difference. He was always a gun, who was skilful but just too fat to get around the ground. Reportedly ate 24 sausages in bread one night at a club bbq in Geelong. Woke up to himself and is now one of the best prepared athletes in the game. He always showed the ability. With Billy, I don't see that potential. Good at stoppages, but a bit of a liability around the ground. Maybe the stoppages are all the coaches are worried about.a

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
supersaints
Club Player

The rucks all fighting for number one spot is a good place to be ...As I have stated before... I don't see it the way some of you do. Our ruck stock numbers are about par with other sides, the best team in the last twenty years won three premierships using g two ruckmen... and probably would have won three had Clegear not got injured leaving the Hawks with one ruck

I don't care who plays when and where as long as they are doing exactly what the coaches want , what's all the fuss... ??

Can't wait to see you all go into meltdown when Pierce hits his straps.

Go Sainters !!!!!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

supersaints wrote:The rucks all fighting for number one spot is a good place to be ...As I have stated before... I don't see it the way some of you do. Our ruck stock numbers are about par with other sides, the best team in the last twenty years won three premierships using g two ruckmen... and probably would have won three had Clegear not got injured leaving the Hawks with one ruck

I don't care who plays when and where as long as they are doing exactly what the coaches want , what's all the fuss... ??

Why would I go into meltdown?

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

prwilkinson wrote:
supersaints wrote:The rucks all fighting for number one spot is a good place to be ...As I have stated before... I don't see it the way some of you do. Our ruck stock numbers are about par with other sides, the best team in the last twenty years won three premierships using g two ruckmen... and probably would have won three had Clegear not got injured leaving the Hawks with one ruck

Why would I go into meltdown?
We might all be Pierced off. :lol:

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Pierce is the sleeper. A bit of Billy and a bit of Hickey. Next year I reckon he'll be cherry ripe to go.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Peirce is the tallest player on our list, he has a bit going for him. He only needs the opportunity probably.

supersaints
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Pierce is the sleeper. A bit of Billy and a bit of Hickey. Next year I reckon he'll be cherry ripe to go.
A part time (now retired ruck coach) who has seen all the boys train said last year he would expect Pierce to rise to the top based on what he had seen.
It's a good place to be , there will be fierce competition for spots in ALL positions the way we are recruiting. It's a hell of a lot different than it was a few years ago. I don't ever get to training any more ( sadly) and I don't consider myself an expert on the art of ruck work,
Whoever gets the gig will be deserving of it based on form , the opposition and development

Go Sainters !!!!!
shrodes
SS Life Member

Billy bounceback
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-03-0 ... ne-in-2017
After a full summer on the track, the 23-year-old has produced two strong performances in the JLT Community Series to put his name up for selection ahead of St Kilda’s Round 1 clash with Melbourne on March 24.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

shrodes wrote:Billy bounceback
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-03-0 ... ne-in-2017
After a full summer on the track, the 23-year-old has produced two strong performances in the JLT Community Series to put his name up for selection ahead of St Kilda’s Round 1 clash with Melbourne on March 24.
Gee, the club is easily pleased. What's a below par performance? Longer was nothing short of disappointing last week against poor opposition. Not as error ridden as Hickeys the week before, but he was virtually invisible

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

supersaints wrote:

I can tell I know a hell of a lot more than you do if you think sitting Hickey or Longer in the forward line resting is a good idea..

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Playon wrote:

How are you basing these figures? Longer had 1 mark and 2 kicks?
How do you get 6 out of 10 from that?
Based on math that would take Longer 10 games to get 10 marks,, 1 out of 10
and you can do the math for kicks

But then thats your theory how do you come to that conclusion. 6/10 from one mark
Basing figures on their ability.. longer can take a grab although isn't great..

My ratings as I pointed out are based on the ruckman average.. Reality is ruckman don't have the strongest hands as they're not KPF's they're big rucks who usually get their hands on the ball but don't clunk it.. Which is why most are hopeless in the forward line

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Hickey has put this debate to bed in the first half. He's the 1.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Goose is king wrote:Hickey has put this debate to bed in the first half. He's the 1.
Based off what? He's only had 15 possessions and 21 hitouts in the first half.. :roll:

Saint wagga
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:
Goose is king wrote:Hickey has put this debate to bed in the first half. He's the 1.
Based off what? He's only had 15 possessions and 21 hitouts in the first half.. :roll:
Here here! In my mind there is was never a debate!

Saint wagga
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:
Here here! In my mind there is was never a debate!

StPeter
Club Player

Hickey up to 21 ppossessions at 3/4 timw

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Hickey

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

29 touches 6 tackles heaps of contested ball and 39 hit outs and clearances a plenty
That's all the footage analysis you need Tony

shrodes
SS Life Member

Would love to see tony come back and eat some humble pie, love his work on here but he was way off the mark on Hickey. 29 disposals, around half of those contested, 6 tackles, won the hitouts by a country mile, we won the clearances by 18. Hickey is way in front of Longer as of right now.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Hickey is and always will be >>> Longer.. hickey easily beat him in the intra club and how people thought it was the other way around was absolutely bizarre to me..

Hickey is in the top 5 ruckman in the league..