Ben Lonģ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben Lonģ

He's a really good prospect. Drafted as much for the anticipated improvement and development, rather than where he was at last year. He came on in leaps and bounds in 2016. Smart bit of recruiting if his improvement continues on its current trajectory. Could end up the steal of the draft. As for his uncle, I don't want to visit his sins on the nephew. Many people divide opinions. Depends on who you talk to, doesn't it?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
Joe Bloggs wrote:Opprobrium is a great word .
Some of the more verbose posters on here are also the most literate.
I seriously find myself intimidated into silence at the quality of their writing, even though I quite often disagree with the sentiments expressed!
Never let that stop you, whiskers. Diverse opinions and debate are the only way to advance. If we all agreed on everything, or remained silent when we disagree, we'd still be living in caves. I know my views on certain individuals may not be palatable to some, but that goes with the territory of self expression. It's only an opinion. Reject or accept as you see fit. BTW, I've never seen anything wrong with your writing style, or the way you express yourself. We all cop a good flaming from time to time. Keeps you grounded and gives you something to think about.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

White Winmar wrote: <snip>
I know my views on certain individuals may not be palatable to some, but that goes with the territory of self expression. It's only an opinion.
<snip>
We all cop a good flaming from time to time. Keeps you grounded and gives you something to think about.
Im glad you put that bit in
as it did occur to me that ML had made an opinion based on observation and declined to work with you
...but I wasnt going to go there :shock:

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:I will stand by what I wrote
I wonder what Ben would think
and no one here would have a clue as to their relationship - least of all S@ynta

you can have opinions - it would be my opinion that steven baker far exceeded the dirty stakes over M Long
How the f*** would you know.

I believe the family is close.

That's how it should should be.

Don't know why anyone would be sticking up for an Essendon player on this forum,especially one who was a well known sniper.

And to add insult to injury, you have the hide to denigrate a former saint.

amusingname
Club Player

saynta wrote:
and no one here would have a clue as to their relationship - least of all S@ynta

you can have opinions - it would be my opinion that steven baker far exceeded the dirty stakes over M Long

Don't know why anyone would be sticking up for an Essendon player on this forum,especially one who was a well known sniper.

Not wanting to speak for anyone else, but I would think that the use of a pretty well-known racial slur would be one thing that someone could take issue with.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
White Winmar wrote: <snip>
I know my views on certain individuals may not be palatable to some, but that goes with the territory of self expression. It's only an opinion.
<snip>
We all cop a good flaming from time to time. Keeps you grounded and gives you something to think about.
Im glad you put that bit in
as it did occur to me that ML had made an opinion based on observation and declined to work with you
...but I wasnt going to go there :shock:
Never met the man before that day. He sought me out to play his little joke. He wasn't the only one who refused to do the testing, as was his right. It was voluntary and the results confidential. Several others refused, mainly for reasons of concerns about privacy, while it turned out that over the whole study, a significant number declined on grounds of illiteracy and embarrassment. Only one chose to do so and add an unnecessary, offensive and distasteful "joke" into the equation, as it was apparent that a couple of teammates expressed concern they couldn't read sufficiently well to understand the questions.

So, I know you're implying I'm an arsehole and that's why he refused. Maybe I am. Over 300 players from eight clubs participated voluntarily, so clearly my horrid reputation preceded me. The footy manager of the time witnessed the exchange and complimented me on how I handled it. It was a very awkward moment as several people witnessed it. It backfired on him. As long as it gave him a little thrill, that's all that matters. Word soon spread and by the time I got to PA a couple indigenous players were ropeable, as illiteracy in indigenous communities was a significant problem. A nice touch making fun of it.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

amusingname wrote:
saynta wrote:

Not wanting to speak for anyone else, but I would think that the use of a pretty well-known racial slur would be one thing that someone could take issue with.

I'm glad someone said it cos that's what I was thinking.

WW pull your head in. For someone that claims to be an academic, you sure have some childish attributes...

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

When did I claim to be an academic? I've never worked in academia. My study formed a part of a thesis. Your imagination and willingness to simply make up things to try and score a cheap point is disturbing. Childish attributes? Maybe. At least I'm not a hypocrite. Pull your own head in until you can at least make an argument instead if throwing insults.

stjay
Club Player

In the half of footy he played I thought he looked dangerous and very hard at it.
Slotted his kick for goal with genuine composure.
Can't wait to see more of him.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Typical situation where the legend can never quite match up to the reality.

There are extremely rare exceptions though like our boy Nick...

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:I have a nice story abut his uncle. When I was doing my thesis into depression in AFL players, Rob Kerr, a collegue, asked Long to do a test for my study. Kerr was in charge of player welfare at Essendon at the time. Lomg refused, telling me he couldn't read and write. I challenged him, saying if you can't read and write, how did you get a pilot's licence? He turned and walked away without an answer. Rob told me I'd handled it well and that Longy, "Was a smartarse". Seeing as 20% of the indigenous boys in the study were illiterate, I thought it was a disgusting thing to pull a practical joke about. Says it all about the prick. I have no respect for him and neither do many in the indigenous community. He has been branded with the deadly sobriquet of "coconut". Good to see he's looked after himself, Saynta. A big ,fat barrel on legs. What a role model for his community. Couldn't walk to Canberra as he planned as well. Fat, lazy prick.
His weird reaction says it all..(reaction formation and or displacement?).

Working in that environment, particularly working with folk from non traditional backgrounds you would be bound to come across all sorts of issues realting to belonging, engagement, social isolation and lonliness etc.

The most appropriate reaction would have been to laugh but easy for me to say.

Paraphrasing Elias Canetti..people are easy to figure out but it gets us no where.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

wHITEwINMAR, what was the thesis for? A course you were doing?

jimmy_slats
Club Player

Shut the freak up all you spuds threads about Ben long start long family tread if you guys want to talk absolute garbage or stick to the topic!!! Ben long looks a very likely type doggies were apparently spewing we picked him they thought the would get him later in the draft

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

and this is news spud?

jimmy_slats
Club Player

No I'm not our defensive coach but thanks for the compliment

'WALK THIS WAY!!!!!'
desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Opprobrium is a great word .
Great word? It's a nasty, vindictive, disgraceful, abusive, derogatory, slanderous, shameful little sheet of a word!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:wHITEwINMAR, what was the thesis for? A course you were doing?
Indeed. Honours thesis in Psychology. Personality traits and depression levels in AFL players. 1999. The AFLPA didn't like the result, not did Gavin Didsbury, who was the provider of counselling. I must admit the results were surprising, as were the number of players who sought advice and help. There was an article on it in The HS by Mick Gleeson. It tied in with The struggles of Tarrant and Carey.

The study needed a follow up, but I was interested in other things and at the time there was little enthusiasm for the topic. As with most things, the depression findings were serendipitous to a certain extent. I was really looking at traits that were common to elite athletes and how we could better identify them in prospective recruits and in potential employees. There was a depression scale in one of the tests that produced some alarming results. A more thorough and exacting examination was needed, but never happened. I'm sure it's been well and truly researched by now.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:When did I claim to be an academic? I've never worked in academia. My study formed a part of a thesis. Your imagination and willingness to simply make up things to try and score a cheap point is disturbing. Childish attributes? Maybe. At least I'm not a hypocrite. Pull your own head in until you can at least make an argument instead if throwing insults.

This response concentrating a research paper you produced from 500 years ago sums you up I reckon. How about not deflecting the fact that because Long didn't participate you threw a racial slur at him. Pretty fickle.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:How about not deflecting the fact that because Long didn't participate you threw a racial slur at him. Pretty fickle.
Not that I condone the bickering on a thread about a player for St Kilda but:
White Winmar wrote:He has been branded with the deadly sobriquet of "coconut". Good to see he's looked after himself, Saynta. A big ,fat barrel on legs. What a role model for his community. Couldn't walk to Canberra as he planned as well. Fat, lazy prick.
I fail to see where WW threw a racial slur - I only see that he was claiming that "He has been branded with the deadly sobriquet of "coconut". "

Anyway - Ben Long!

You little ripper - I look forward to the time that he is our X factor - and tears it up - the poise when taking the shot at goal was amazing - I want a forward half of players willing to back themselves from 40 out and take the shot - it will make a change from bombing it to the square and having it rebound out past their ears.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
jonesy
Saintsational Legend

Lived in Darwin for 4 years. Ran across him a few times, seemed to have some issues, and throwing racial slurs at others wasn't past him.

Having said that I have a mate there who has a bit to do with him socially,and he says he likes him.

Bring back the Lockett era
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Ben is 19 now, How old was he then?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sainter_Dad wrote:
Spinner wrote:How about not deflecting the fact that because Long didn't participate you threw a racial slur at him. Pretty fickle.
Not that I condone the bickering on a thread about a player for St Kilda but:
White Winmar wrote:He has been branded with the deadly sobriquet of "coconut". Good to see he's looked after himself, Saynta. A big ,fat barrel on legs. What a role model for his community. Couldn't walk to Canberra as he planned as well. Fat, lazy prick.
I fail to see where WW threw a racial slur - I only see that he was claiming that "He has been branded with the deadly sobriquet of "coconut". "

Anyway - Ben Long!

You little ripper - I look forward to the time that he is our X factor - and tears it up - the poise when taking the shot at goal was amazing - I want a forward half of players willing to back themselves from 40 out and take the shot - it will make a change from bombing it to the square and having it rebound out past their ears.
Thanks, Sainter Dad. That explains it better than I did. The slur is about his character, not his race. Yes, it has a racial component, but it is not critical of the race, just the man. Like Stan Grant. The meaning is in the eye of the beholder. Spinner, you still don't understand. I've explained it twice and you still choose to ignore the fact that I didn't criticise him because he refused to do an insignificant test. As I stated, a number of people refused. No problem with that. That's research for you.

I criticised him because he made a tasteless and offensive joke about a problem that is a sensitive issue about his people, coupled with the experience of others who have found him to be very two-faced. You'll note that he was branded this by others. I agree with them. It is an offensive term. It's meant to be. If I'd made a joke about aboriginal illiteracy, I'm sure you would've flamed me and supported those who labelled me a bigot, racist, etc. I didn't deflect from anything. You just find the facts not suitable to your argument despite my explanations. Virtue signalling on your part, at its most obvious and offensive.

The only one deflecting here is you, trying to turn this into a personal attack on my character, claiming I spat the dummy because he said no to me. That's just plain wrong. You're continued assertion that I did shows me two things. You cannot comprehend the meaning of a simple statement and explanation, because it doesn't suit you, or you are trying to be offensive and provocative, deliberately. When accusing others of childish attributes it's best not to display your own. The old saying goes, "You see the attributes you hate the most in yourself, in others." I admit to being a smart arse and less than diplomatic at times, but I'm not a petulant dummy spitter, nor a racist. I spent a lot of time helping and working to alleviate indigenous poverty and disadvantage. I stand on my record on that issue. The other accusations, I'm willing to wear. I promise to choose my critical words more carefully in the future.

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Anyway - Back to Ben!!!!!!

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Sainter_Dad wrote:Anyway - Back to Ben!!!!!!
This.

And he looks very bloody promising, so fingers crossed!

Always loyal
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
White Winmar wrote:When did I claim to be an academic? I've never worked in academia. My study formed a part of a thesis. Your imagination and willingness to simply make up things to try and score a cheap point is disturbing. Childish attributes? Maybe. At least I'm not a hypocrite. Pull your own head in until you can at least make an argument instead if throwing insults.

This response concentrating a research paper you produced from 500 years ago sums you up I reckon. How about not deflecting the fact that because Long didn't participate you threw a racial slur at him. Pretty fickle.
What a bizarre and nonsensical response. Give it up, mate. You're looking more and more foolish by the post. I expected better from you. As I've repeatedly stated for your benefit, non-participation had nothing to do with it. If you can't acknowledge that then there's no point arguing.