Ben Lonģ

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Ben Lonģ

White Winmar wrote: Long is a coconut and a turd of the highest order. OMG, virtue signaller!
I am acquainted with the sobriquet "turd" but what dear boy, is a "coconut", apart from something that hangs off a palm tree?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I have a nice story abut his uncle. When I was doing my thesis into depression in AFL players, Rob Kerr, a collegue, asked Long to do a test for my study. Kerr was in charge of player welfare at Essendon at the time. Lomg refused, telling me he couldn't read and write. I challenged him, saying if you can't read and write, how did you get a pilot's licence? He turned and walked away without an answer. Rob told me I'd handled it well and that Longy, "Was a smartarse". Seeing as 20% of the indigenous boys in the study were illiterate, I thought it was a disgusting thing to pull a practical joke about. Says it all about the prick. I have no respect for him and neither do many in the indigenous community. He has been branded with the deadly sobriquet of "coconut". Good to see he's looked after himself, Saynta. A big ,fat barrel on legs. What a role model for his community. Couldn't walk to Canberra as he planned as well. Fat, lazy prick.
How is that a nice story - where are the puppy dogs, where are the rainbows?
He didnt help with your Thesis and he's overweight...this makes him a prick.? Omg..
As I have said before on this forum he was a sniper.

Good footballer, ordinary bloke as WW has pointed out.

Hope his nephew is nothing like him.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote: Long is a coconut and a turd of the highest order. OMG, virtue signaller!
I am acquainted with the sobriquet "turd" but what dear boy, is a "coconut", apart from something that hangs off a palm tree?
Black on the outside, white on the inside. Stan Grant has been similarly labelled.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Black on the outside, white on the inside. Stan Grant has been similarly labelled.
Aha...I wonder do the indigenous people also have a term for 'white on the outside, black on the inside'.....''

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Lets not cloud this thread with stupid comments..

Back on topic I love how many players are pushing for spots!! Longy is one of them

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Michael was a gun and tough as nails.
I have no idea what his personality is like but some on here seem to have an intimate knowledge of it?
I am sure Ben doesn't want to be compared to his uncle.
But Gee Wizz I am happy we have Ben in our side.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:
Goose is king wrote:As I stated in the match thread he had 7 tackles including 2 holding the balls in his half of footy
Impressive. He was like a shark out there smelling blood. Players like that don't just create pressure they create PERCEIVED pressure and get into the heads of defenders thinking they could come at any time and embarrass them.

His advantages over Wright/Lonie/Sincs is that he could be really versatile and rotate off the fwd line. Having trouble getting it out of the backline - throw him on halfback to run it out. He could even be hard enough to go onball for bits - might need to build up a bit yet. I could see him as a winger too. Richo seems to love versatility.
He is fighting for that small forward(s) role against those blokes and may already be in front of Lonie and probably Sinclair both of whom do not look up to AFL standard at this stage.

If he is missing the first 2 game for a previous suspension whoever of those blokes that are playing will need to show something.

He would still be eligible for the rising star award based on the charge being laid last season.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I didn't see him do much ???

minneapolis
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Aha...I wonder do the indigenous people also have a term for 'white on the outside, black on the inside'.....''
When I was living in Hong Kong, the Chinese used to call their similar compatriots a banana. True. Laughed then still laugh now.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I didn't see him do much ???

Well he only played 42% of the game.

But with 7 tackles, 7 disposals and 1 goal that is a pretty good effort for someone playing in the small forward role.

He and all the small forwards kicked a goal each apart from Wright who snagged 3.

Lonie played 71% for 4 tackles and comparable on other stats.

Wright played 47% wirg tww goals but less tackles.

Minch played 40% and won more ball, but only laid 1 tackle. Sinclair had 69% with comparable stats to Minch, but with 3 tackles.

So stats wise Long was our second best small forward on the day.

With that tackling pressure and speed he fills the bill for the modern small forward. He will get the pressure on Wright for that slot in the team and will make it harder for Lonie to get back in.

CAVEAT: This was only against a very weak Blues team. But he looked good!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Watch the replay then.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:

Watch the replay then.
I watched it again specifically to see what the hype was about....just didn't think he did much. I missed the 7 disposals, not saying he didn't have them.

darylcowie
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
st.byron wrote:
White on the inside and black on the inside would be "daifuku" (a Japanese dessert consisting of black bean/coconut cream encased in white rice flour).

However, unlike the term "coconut", this is not a derogatory term.

Notable Australian musicians in this category are: Paul Kelly, Peter Garrett and the Oils, Shane Howard, etc.

its time to make a name for yourself like you've never made before!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I hope that Ben can also not read -
He would obviously take offence at the comments here and wonder what sort of supporters he has just itching to knife him too
no wonder the talent wants to stay in NT

Seeya
To the top
SS Life Member

Just to add to the WW description, Long played for West Torrens in the SANFL where my father always maintained that he was the dirtiest footballer to ever pull on a boot - ahead even of those Port Adelaide have had over generations.

Sunk the slipper and snide kidney attacks at every opportunity.

And was the same at Essendon.

Hid behind his skin.

So the WW description is consistent.

Hopefully this kid can play - and he does not have the traits of his relation.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:I hope that Ben can also not read -
He would obviously take offence at the comments here and wonder what sort of supporters he has just itching to knife him too

Ben is an intelligent young man.

He would already know pretty much all there was to know about his uncle.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Michael was a gun and tough as nails.
I have no idea what his personality is like but some on here seem to have an intimate knowledge of it?
I am sure Ben doesn't want to be compared to his uncle.
But Gee Wizz I am happy we have Ben in our side.
FWIW, I reckon Michael Long was the probably the most overrated player to ever pull on a jumper.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Oh please! No problem with you taking offence, but spare some of your self righteous opprobrium for a man who jokes about and mocks a shocking problem afflicting his people, especially when he is meant a be a spokesman and a role model. Remember his famous walk to Canberra? Several people involved reckon he behaved like a spoilt brat before pulling out less than half way. I know a couple of guys who played with him and one who was an assistant coach. The public persona is nothing like the real thing, apparently. The guy who coached him says he was a smart arse and selfish player, who allegedly hates whites. Not that I blame him too much for that last bit. Dare I say it, a racist himself? Of course it's not racism when a black fella derides white folks who have given him so many opportunities in life, or when he's condescendingly mocking his own. And we are not criticising aboriginal people, just one individual, who on the available evidence, is an arsehole.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

I will stand by what I wrote
I wonder what Ben would think
and no one here would have a clue as to their relationship - least of all S@ynta

you can have opinions - it would be my opinion that steven baker far exceeded the dirty stakes over M Long

Seeya
Joe Bloggs
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:
Oh please! No problem with you taking offence, but spare some of your self righteous opprobrium for a man who jokes about and mocks a shocking problem afflicting his people, especially when he is meant a be a spokesman and a role model. Remember his famous walk to Canberra? Several people involved reckon he behaved like a spoilt brat before pulling out less than half way. I know a couple of guys who played with him and one who was an assistant coach. The public persona is nothing like the real thing, apparently. The guy who coached him says he was a smart arse and selfish player, who allegedly hates whites. Not that I blame him too much for that last bit. Dare I say it, a racist himself? Of course it's not racism when a black fella derides white folks who have given him so many opportunities in life, or when he's condescendingly mocking his own. And we are not criticising aboriginal people, just one individual, who on the available evidence, is an arsehole.
Up there with your views on the pelican.

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

Opprobrium is a great word .

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Joe Bloggs wrote:Opprobrium is a great word .
Some of the more verbose posters on here are also the most literate.
I seriously find myself intimidated into silence at the quality of their writing, even though I quite often disagree with the sentiments expressed!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

whiskers3614 wrote:
I seriously find myself intimidated into silence at the quality of their writing, even though I quite often disagree with the sentiments expressed!
Peter Roget - helping people look smarter since 1805

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
whiskers3614 wrote:
Peter Roget - helping people look smarter since 1805
That's very cynical Devilhead. I remember one of my old colleagues said something similar, and while I'm not saying you are, he was an arrogant philistine.

I read a clever quote by Les Murray last week in "Killing the Black Dog" which said that opprobrium was the evil twin of praise (pg 69).

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Hope he really grows into his career... He seems to be one of those players that makes things happen. Looked very lively when he came on in the second half against the Blues.