Match Thread v Blues JLT 2

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Match Thread v Blues JLT 2

Oh, and good punt

Was exactly a difficult riddle was it?

Just pretty obvious imo

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:Hickey

Did improve heaps, but best in the league??

Gawn
Goldstein
Sandilands
Jacobs
Martin
Mumford

Are we suggesting he sits in that group?
B&F winners
AA ruckmen
Statistically dominant ruckmen

I think Hick is in a group with
Grundy, Ryder, Zac Smith
Hickey was better than sandy, Martin and Jacobs by the length of the straight..

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Martin is a b&f winner

Gawn and Goldstein are AA ruckmen with Goldy winning perhaps 2 b&fs

Jacobs and Mumford are perennial top 5 in b&fs and statistically very good

And Sandilands is a multiple b&f winner and 4 times AA

Hickey had a good year, perhaps finished top 10 in the b&f
He wasn't considered top 40 for AA selection
His numbers were good, very good but still well behind the elite of the comp
Maybe you should quote.
Because you're not answering my question.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Hickey

Did improve heaps, but best in the league??

Gawn
Goldstein
Sandilands
Jacobs
Martin
Mumford

Are we suggesting he sits in that group?
B&F winners
AA ruckmen
Statistically dominant ruckmen

I think Hick is in a group with
Grundy, Ryder, Zac Smith
Do you think you're being a bit literal here!!!

Rather than zeroing in one line you could look at the comment in context in which it was pretty clearly meant...
It's not very hard to deduce that I'm pointing out that Hickey had a really good season and excelled as a ruck and should by all means be miles ahead of Longer

I did say he was amongst the best few but geeez man I meant it in the context of 18 teams in the league and he's amongst the better ones - do I really have to point out that the point here isn't that I've listed all the rucks and have ranked them but rather this is an emphasis of how much further ahead of Longer Tom is as opposed to a conversation about who the best rucks are.

this nit picking man... so anal retentive. Just stay on topic

To the top
SS Life Member

In regards third man up, how often was it employed given there was no capacity to so impact at centre bounces?

So we are talking about ball ups around the ground and boundary throw ins.

Did an opposition third man up have such an impact on Hickey, because if such evidence was there it would have been exploited surely?

And if that was the case, then no third man up would be to Hickey's advantage, surely.

And did we rely on Hickey as a decoy ruckman, then utilising a third up (Riewoldt, Acres because it needs to be a mid with size) how often did we resort to that?

Yes, it happened that we used a third up but I do not recall that it would have been a constant - and my view was that when we resorted to such tactics it was a waste of Riewoldt and Acres at ground level.

Hickey's form in 2016 was what it was - because he had a full pre season and was injury free.

I do not recall if Longer was available when Hickey went down (and when Holmes came in).

The summary is that I really don't understand that the outlawing of third man up is of such significance to see a bash and crash ruckman of limited impact other than in rucking contests replace Hickey who was really another (bonus) mid-fielder.

Hickey and Longer both in the side?

IF the rucks are seen as of such importance, then surely this is the way to go?

Particularly with no "substitute" - but still limited rotations, meaning Hickey would need to go forward on occasion.

Then we have recruited 2 "big bodied" mids to go with Armitage, Dunstan, Ross and Acres so surely we can defend the loss of hit outs (given they are at least contested).

That, of course extends to the importance of Steven and the evolution of Gresham and Freeman.

Just in regards the ABC and what we see today - funding cuts together with Board and management changes to dumb it down and lose viewer audience.

So someone, not nominated but from the Minerals Council (read Rienhardt) finds themselves appointed to the Board by the government - and a former Murdoch executive now CEO.

And what about no broadcast of the cricket from India?

So your only access is thru Murdoch!!!

And Murdoch has never been pleased with TV and radio, free to air 24 hour news services in competition with his pay news service.

Hence the winding back by using UK and USA feeds.

We can't ask too many questions!!!

Instead we must rely on the 70 year old plus individual from America with the funny hair "tweeting" at 3AM in the morning.

When most 70 plus year olds would be sound asleep - or maybe looking for the toilet (which is probably the most appropriate place for the referred to individual and those Right wing religious nutters and TEA Party types who voted for him!)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

See

You were able to work it out without another unnecessary quote

You don't have to be Einstein do you

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:See

It doesn't take an Einstein to grasp the context of a post either

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:See

Pretty sure that Einstein being a scientist would have in his communications used quoting, referencing etc as a tool in trade. But then again may he too though he was above everyone else?

One should not have to "work it out". Why is your time more important than everyone elses?

Only the rude state that quoting is unnecessary and should not be used.

It is the same flawed logic used by those that do not inoculate. I am ok as everyone else inoculates.

I can read and understand the forum easily as everyone else quotes

If everyone did what you do the threads would be chaotic.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
minneapolis
Club Player

tony74 wrote:
st.byron wrote:
tony74 wrote:
Bluthy wrote:
tony74 wrote:Billy is no. 1
Seriously? AFter Hicks was top 5 last year? Billy has been good but not brilliant in these preseason games. Richo does love his big bodied, physical guys. I would be skeptical until R1 is selected. Richo could just be trying to get Hickey to take it to another level by telling him he's no. 2 presently. Unless they want to try Longer main ruck and Hickey in a fwd/relief ruck role. Hickey showed glimpses of that last year but wasn't particularly reliable. I'll believe Longer is 1 when I see it in round 1.
Since the third man up rule came in Billy is our main man at the ruck contests and the clearance work. To be honest Holmesy would be second. Hick is important, don't get me wrong, but if the game is all about the contest and clearances Billy gets the nod. Don't forget he was under a massive injury cloud most of last year.
Tony, I don't really understand why this is so. Would be grateful for you to flesh that out a bit. Why has that rule change shifted the balance so much? Tom was really really good last year and I think many of us were hoping he would step it up again this year to be one of the best all round ruckman in the game. Would have to go back to Spider Everitt I reckon to find our last really physically imposing, dominant ruckman. Gardi was good, but brief. I was really hoping to see Tom really impose himself on games with his tap work and around the ground presence. His combining with Jack Steven last year was superb.
Video analysis after video analysis after video analysis. We are talking about the ruck clearance. No third man up will hurt us. And I trust the expert and Skrobo knows his stuff. But please understand and I stress this. We are building a team where we have multiple players for every position. Every position. So one day at the end of September we have no weak links.
Tony,

thanks for posting but I too am extremely puzzled.

In 2015 with Longer rucking, we lost almost every game in the ruck. And many opposing emerging rucks has their best game against Longer. And his marks per game were very low.

In 2016 with Hickey rucking we were much improved. I think he was one of the main reasons we won more games. In fact I am convinced of it. Not only in rucking but general play, below his knees, marking, and as a forward option he is better than Longer.

I do not doubt your knowledge, but the only light I could possibly shine on this situation is that the ruck coach is focusing on his clearance statistics and the general caching staff are letting that piece of info override the general affect of the two guys play on the result of the game.

If I were Melbourne I would be happy that Longer starts in front of Hickey in Round 1.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes

Focus on the quoting, anything to get away from the footy

Desperaretion

What next? Grammar and spelling??

Hickey did ok, or better...

Remind me, where did he finish in the b&f a team that finished 9th???

We carry on like he's Simon Madden

I should compare his numbers but I CBF

Oh
And hopefully he's had a better 2016 than Sandy... he didn't play

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes

Focus on the quoting, anything to get away from the footy

Desperaretion

What next? Grammar and spelling??

Hickey did ok, or better...

Remind me, where did he finish in the b&f a team that finished 9th???

We carry on like he's Simon Madden

I should compare his numbers but I CBF

Oh
And hopefully he's had a better 2016 than Sandy... he didn't play

Just use the quote button.

Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

+1

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Just do it..

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Um no...

I'll credit an obviously intelligent bloke like yourself to be able to work it out ... I make it pretty obvious

Let me ask you this...

At a dinner party conversation, do you repeat what you hear before respnding to it? Or do you have to point out to everyone who you are responding to
Or
Do you just speak and trust the people listening are smart enough to work out what's happening in the conversation

I find it hilariously annoying to scroll through pages of ridiculous quoting making threads page after page long... when I think I can grasp who is referring to who

If this is followed to the letter- ever post should have a quote unless you're the op?

The person who posted +1 surely you see the irony of your post?!

If a quote is needed, to make a point of proof - ok

Otherwise - work it out or leave the convo because you're not that interested

There are of course other agendas at play though ... aren't there ? ...

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

At a dinner party conversation, do I repeat what I hear before responding to it? Or do I have to point out to everyone who I am responding to? Or do I just speak and trust the people listening are smart enough to work out what's happening in the conversation?
Hmm, sometimes I do indeed repeat what I hear before responding to it. Sometimes I even have to point out to everyone who I am responding to. Of course sometimes I do just speak and trust the people listening are smart enough to work out what's happening in the conversation? But then the idiots often have no idea what I'm on about.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Mmm... a conversation and an internet thread are not exactly a like for like comparison.

Joe Bloggs
Club Player

skeptic wrote:Mmm... a conversation and an internet thread are not exactly a like for like comparison.
I love your stuff BM but obviously your dinner party analogy has massive holes in it if you think about it.