We're Just Not Good Enough

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Re: We're Just Not Good Enough

Being from the overly optimistic side of the fence (for once)... there's nothing wrong with what JM has posted.

The key theme here is improvement and whether that big list of promising players we've recruited take that next step up ok to good, to maybe even great for a few of them.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:laughed this crap off as soon as the OP started writing off a 20 year old KPF who has great hands......no clue
Wrote him off??

Maybe have another read.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

... there is more to a football club than just having the best 40 players.
yep
continually unappreciated that point for some reason
... its not the size of the dog etc etc

(the puppies of '16 a ripper energetic expression of the wisdom)

+
haven't spent our cash or extra pick yet
haven't quite become the 'story' players wanna be part of , yet
haven't started march'n with momentum yet
(onfield or off)

the reward of patience is patience

all is well and all shall be well ... imo fwtw

i'm in enjoyment already for the coming seasons
carn the footy

Go Us.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

I'll ask again, will the OP reconsider if we make the 8

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:Ok, I'll admit it - I'm cynical about our prospects this season and beyond.

We haven't drafted well.

There. I said it.

Seeing Billings let an 18yo first gamer brush him aside with a feeble tackling attempt last week highlighted the flaws in his game. Zero physical presence is Ok - if you make up for it in spades at the other end of your game. But Billings doesn't. His offensive game is Ok. Nothing more.

Now granted, he hasn't even played 50 games yet and could well be a late bloomer (compared with the development of Bontempelli and Petracca for example) but until then there's a genuine case to be very disappointed in what a Pick 3 has produced for us.

Then there's McCartin. I like him, but I don't like the way he's being played to be honest. I don't really understand why you'd spend Pick on a lead-up half forward. I understand why you'd overlook Petracca and his obvious abundance of talent for a key forward with the number 1 Pick - but not for a high half forward.

I posted about this last year with a theory on why Bruce and McCartin drop what appear to be easy-ish marks. I noticed that they go too 'flat handed' at the ball instead of spreading their fingers in the more traditional and effective way. My theory was that they were being instructed to bring the ball to the front of the contest as their first priority - actually marking the pill is an afterthought. But the absolute rule is to not let the ball through the back.

McCartin did this really blatantly last week. He actually went up in the contest and his 'flat hands' were so obvious that it looked almost like a volleyball spike!

Now that's fine. These guys are sacrificing their own stats for the team. I'm not sure I agree with it (assuming my theory is correct!) but it's a team first strategy and I have problem with that.

But it does pose thew question as to whether or not you need a number 1 Pick to do that?? If you want a workhorse that leads up and down the ground 100 times each week bringing the ball to ground - surely that's a role for the Commodore, not the Ferrari!

But I digress.....

My point is that we've been to the well, so to speak. We've handed over guys like Goddard and Dal Santo to load on draft picks. We've used the picks we received to get players from other clubs, but moreso to get young pearls from the draft. As a result we bottomed out and had 2 x top 3 picks in succession.

I just don't think it's worked, sadly.

We didn't get a Selwood. A Bont. A Judd. A Reiwoldt.

And that's we needed. It's what everyone needs.

Instead, we got a Curren, a Templeton, a Sinclair, a Newnes etc. etc.

So as we improve naturally (as guys get to that 50-100 game mark) there seems to be an expectation that the improvement trend will continue infinitely. But I have my doubts. I'd argue that outside of Gresham and last year's draftees - no one else will get much better than they will be this season.

I'm not worried about the Port game, as I have another theory that we put in the cue in the rack at half time and trialled our defense. I think we actually set up to put the defense under as much extended pressure as we could to give them time to work together and get used to each other. All in all, they did quite well.

I would expect they'll do the same tomorrow too.

But what we really, really need to see is a few guys show us that this year they'll become freakishly good. We need another 2-3 at Jack Steven' level if we're going to improve enough over the next couple of seasons to seriously compete.

Acres? McCartin? Billings? Gresham? Freeman? Carlisle?

This isn't a knock on our recruiters necessarily - as looking at the drafts that I've flagged above, aside from the Bont and Petracca there's nothing glaring jumping out at us that we missed badly. It's just that at this stage, I don't believe we've brought in the required talent to be a genuine top 4 team.
:roll: :roll:

What a difference a week can make.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
Johnny Member wrote:Ok, I'll admit it - I'm cynical about our prospects this season and beyond.

We haven't drafted well.

There. I said it.

Seeing Billings let an 18yo first gamer brush him aside with a feeble tackling attempt last week highlighted the flaws in his game. Zero physical presence is Ok - if you make up for it in spades at the other end of your game. But Billings doesn't. His offensive game is Ok. Nothing more.

Now granted, he hasn't even played 50 games yet and could well be a late bloomer (compared with the development of Bontempelli and Petracca for example) but until then there's a genuine case to be very disappointed in what a Pick 3 has produced for us.

Then there's McCartin. I like him, but I don't like the way he's being played to be honest. I don't really understand why you'd spend Pick on a lead-up half forward. I understand why you'd overlook Petracca and his obvious abundance of talent for a key forward with the number 1 Pick - but not for a high half forward.

I posted about this last year with a theory on why Bruce and McCartin drop what appear to be easy-ish marks. I noticed that they go too 'flat handed' at the ball instead of spreading their fingers in the more traditional and effective way. My theory was that they were being instructed to bring the ball to the front of the contest as their first priority - actually marking the pill is an afterthought. But the absolute rule is to not let the ball through the back.

McCartin did this really blatantly last week. He actually went up in the contest and his 'flat hands' were so obvious that it looked almost like a volleyball spike!

Now that's fine. These guys are sacrificing their own stats for the team. I'm not sure I agree with it (assuming my theory is correct!) but it's a team first strategy and I have problem with that.

But it does pose thew question as to whether or not you need a number 1 Pick to do that?? If you want a workhorse that leads up and down the ground 100 times each week bringing the ball to ground - surely that's a role for the Commodore, not the Ferrari!

But I digress.....

My point is that we've been to the well, so to speak. We've handed over guys like Goddard and Dal Santo to load on draft picks. We've used the picks we received to get players from other clubs, but moreso to get young pearls from the draft. As a result we bottomed out and had 2 x top 3 picks in succession.

So as we improve naturally (as guys get to that 50-100 game mark) there seems to be an expectation that the improvement trend will continue infinitely. But I have my doubts. I'd argue that outside of Gresham and last year's draftees - no one else will get much better than they will be this season.

I'm not worried about the Port game, as I have another theory that we put in the cue in the rack at half time and trialled our defense. I think we actually set up to put the defense under as much extended pressure as we could to give them time to work together and get used to each other. All in all, they did quite well.

But what we really, really need to see is a few guys show us that this year they'll become freakishly good. We need another 2-3 at Jack Steven' level if we're going to improve enough over the next couple of seasons to seriously compete.

This isn't a knock on our recruiters necessarily - as looking at the drafts that I've flagged above, aside from the Bont and Petracca there's nothing glaring jumping out at us that we missed badly. It's just that at this stage, I don't believe we've brought in the required talent to be a genuine top 4 team.

?

It makes no difference whatsoever.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
saynta wrote:

We haven't drafted well.

There. I said it.

But I digress.....

?

It makes no difference whatsoever.
Well it doesn't to me.

Thougjt it might to you.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Not looking at today's game but looking down our whole list.
For the first time in my whole life as a Saints fan - this is the most depth we have had.

We have 25-30 blokes who are at very least competent AFL football players.
Even in our almost flag years we only probably had 15-20.

Whether we have enough high end talent to win a flag is yet to be seen - but we have genuine depth.

At worst we are headed for a top 4 finish in the next 2-3 years.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 04 Mar 2017 9:49pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the OP is ignoring me for some reason

SMS
Club Player

Steele no good?? He he

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

JM working himself the reverse Psychology- anti depression method.

if you don't think the team will do well- then anything they do well is a pleasing event. :D

setting himself up for a happy year...

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

The Fireman wrote:I'll ask again, will the OP reconsider if we make the 8
??

Not at all.

Making the 8 isn't good enough.

It's a good effort this season, but beyond that? That's not enough.

My point isn't that we don't have the talent to make the 8 - it's that we aren't good enough to win a flag.

Making the 8 this year won't change that. Unless of course, I'm proving wrong (hopefully) and two or three dudes step and become stars by year's end.
Last edited by Johnny Member on Sat 04 Mar 2017 7:57pm, edited 1 time in total.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Not looking at today's game but looking down our whole list.
For the first time in my whole life as a Saints fan - this is the most depth we have had.
We have 25-30 blokes who are at very least competent AFL football players.
Even in our almost flag years we only probably had 15-20.
Whether we have enough high end talent to win a flag is yet to be seen - but we have genuine depth.
At worst we are headed for a top 4 finish in the next 2-3 years.
Agree.

But as depth without top end talent, doesn't matter.

That's my worry.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote: We didn't get a Selwood. A Bont. A Judd. A Reiwoldt.

How on earth did we not turn 3 rookies and a pick #37 into four of the best top 10 picks of all time?

Has to be trolling…

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:JM working himself the reverse Psychology- anti depression method.

if you don't think the team will do well- then anything they do well is a pleasing event. :D

A Happy Ending..

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:
Johnny Member wrote: We didn't get a Selwood. A Bont. A Judd. A Reiwoldt.

How on earth did we not turn 3 rookies and a pick #37 into four of the best top 10 picks of all time?

Has to be trolling…

??

Have we only had 4 picks in the last 4 years have we?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

The ex AFL players that have jobs in the media all think that the Saints are on the march, that they have recruited really well, that they have depth.

Maybe those idiots should read this thread. :roll: :roll: :roll:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:The ex AFL players that have jobs in the media all think that the Saints are on the march, that they have recruited really well, that they have depth.

??

I think we do have depth.

I'm not commenting on our depth.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Johnny Member wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:The ex AFL players that have jobs in the media all think that the Saints are on the march, that they have recruited really well, that they have depth.

??

I think we do have depth.

I'm not commenting on our depth.
What are you saying, those that have played at this level think we are on the right track with our drafting, they are knocking the top off with their praise, you are not ?

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Well if they think we've drafted enough A-grade talent to build a team good enough to win a flag - then yes, I disagree with them.

If, as you stated earlier, they said we've recruited well in terms of our depth, then I'd agree with them. But depth doesn't win flags. Depth, plus A-Grade talent wins flags.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

We'll need to evaluate at seasons end, right now, it's all based on opinions.

SMS
Club Player

Johnny member youre iver thinking it
Are you kidding?!

2019 saints flag
Geary. Goddard. Roberton
Webster. Carlisle. Newnes
Freeman. Dunstan. Billings
Weller. McCartin. Wright
Gresham. Bruce. Membrey

Hickey Steven. Fyfe

Acres, Mackenzie, Ross, Long

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Yes because this list will remain exactly the same and we won't recruit and the young 18-20 year olds won't improve.. :roll:

Illogical thinking especially when GWS won't have enough cash to retain their guns that we can become a genuine potential suitor to these players as the next big thing.. We have quality youth with genuine upside and if you can't see this than you're a very pessimistic person

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:JM working himself the reverse Psychology- anti depression method.

I wrote a book about reverse psychology. Don't buy it!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
asiu
Saintsational Legend

I wrote a book about reverse psychology. Don't buy it!
:D :D

thats my Sunday off to an appropriate start

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.