Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby White Winmar » Wed 01 Mar 2017 11:02pm

Spinner wrote:
desertsaint wrote:would prefer fyfe on a million, or shoel/kelly on $800k, but id we could get dusty for the same and a longer term, or 900k i'd say we go for it, unless the aforementioned is possible.



If we offer anything around the Richmond offer - he stays. It needs to be extra years and higher figures. Much higher given half goes to tax anyways.

Unless extremely unhappy, disgruntled, players don't move so have to make it worth it financially to take the risk.

Spot on, Spinner. In this case, I'm told he is less than pleased at tiger land and is waiting to see how things pan out on the field this year. Once they finish bottom five again and he realises their list is cooked and it's going to take another five year rebuild to make them competitive, he'll want out. Besides, if he loved the joint, 3.2 million over four years should be more than enough to have him jumping at the dotted line, fountain pen dripping with ink. As it stands, I reckon he'll go. Maybe not to us, but to whoever stumps up a reasonable amount and who at least looks like being a reasonable chance to play finals and in a GF.
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Spinner » Thu 02 Mar 2017 12:04am

Moods wrote:
st.byron wrote:I'm curious to know how much our top paid player gets. Would it still be Roo? Joey? Jack Steven?

I reckon Martin would be a good get, but not if he's paid hundreds of thousands more than everyone else. Recipe for some discord there I would think. Everyone has been doing the hard yards in the rebuild, getting on board with the game plan and culture and in walks a guy paid way more than anyone else who hasn't earned the respect of the group. Could be challenging to manage.


Agree with this. Cats have the template right I reckon. Got Danger for the right reasons at the right price. Gets paid roughly what the skipper gets, not $100's of $1000's more. And when he arrives he plays his heart out and looks like he loves the place. Personally I reckon $800 is a fraction dear for Dusty but I understand that the Tiges want to keep him so I don't blame them. It's probably what you have to pau to land a big star. I'm not that comfortable paying more than that for him.


Danger is one in a million. Wanted to go home to Geelong. You have to pay to get someone to come to your club rather than another and rather than stay where they are. Who was the last star player to move for similar money and no major underlying reason?

It's not dear for Martin, he is worth more in an open market and worth every cent. Let's be honest he's be our best player too so the pay scale makes sense. Steven in same ball park and paid slightly less but still gets to play at the same club. You always get more to move.

And Danger is extremely underpaid - best or second best player in the league should have him earning a lot lot more. Took a cut for location.
User avatar
Spinner
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7719
Joined: Sat 02 Dec 2006 3:40pm
Location: Victoria

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby cwrcyn » Thu 02 Mar 2017 6:38am

Here we go again. If we just land that big fish, all will magically fall into place and we'll win the flag. It's a similar mentality to the rationale around the recruitment of Andrew Lovett...ooh, we just need that extra experienced player who has pace to break the lines, and under Ken Sheldon it was, ooh, if we just get a couple of experienced players from other clubs. Or under Thomas and Butterss it was, we'll just go out and pay a million to get a super coach (cough, cough). It's like going to the Melbourne Cup and placing all your money on the one horse everyone's been raving about. It guarantees nothing. So, do we pay outlandish money to a talented, yet obviously flawed individual? Do we chase Fyfe and pay him 1.3 million a year? The smarter moves are the ones we've already done, like getting Jack Steele for a second rounder or picking up Tim Membrey and Dylan Roberton for nothing. There's that old saying....Don't put all your eggs in one basket.
cwrcyn
Club Player
 
Posts: 1773
Joined: Fri 15 Sep 2006 10:35am
Location: earth

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby #gosaintas » Thu 02 Mar 2017 8:03am

If we can't get Fyfe I'd offer $1m x 5 years for Dusty. We need A grade talent. If we got him, he's our best player anyway so he should be the highest paid. If it puts one of our B graders or C graders nose out of joint then tough s***.
#gosaintas
Club Player
 
Posts: 819
Joined: Thu 22 Sep 2011 9:58am

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby shrodes » Thu 02 Mar 2017 9:20am

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/how-a-s ... c70576396e

Is the free agency pool dwindling? Guess we'll need to see how Dusty and Fyfe deals shake out.
User avatar
shrodes
Club Player
 
Posts: 1089
Joined: Tue 12 Aug 2014 2:34pm
Location: Melbourne

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby wally » Thu 02 Mar 2017 9:25am

One positive with Martin is we don't lose players/draft picks to get him in.

We may have salary space now but as our list improves our costs go up, we end up losing players,
a few injuries and poor last six we still fall short.
wally
Club Player
 
Posts: 199
Joined: Fri 16 Sep 2011 8:23am
Location: brisy

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Spinner » Thu 02 Mar 2017 11:57am

cwrcyn wrote:Here we go again. If we just land that big fish, all will magically fall into place and we'll win the flag. It's a similar mentality to the rationale around the recruitment of Andrew Lovett...ooh, we just need that extra experienced player who has pace to break the lines, and under Ken Sheldon it was, ooh, if we just get a couple of experienced players from other clubs. Or under Thomas and Butterss it was, we'll just go out and pay a million to get a super coach (cough, cough). It's like going to the Melbourne Cup and placing all your money on the one horse everyone's been raving about. It guarantees nothing. So, do we pay outlandish money to a talented, yet obviously flawed individual? Do we chase Fyfe and pay him 1.3 million a year? The smarter moves are the ones we've already done, like getting Jack Steele for a second rounder or picking up Tim Membrey and Dylan Roberton for nothing. There's that old saying....Don't put all your eggs in one basket.



So how do we fill that 1.5m space we have in our salary cap? Recruit a couple more borderline senior players?

No ones saying a massive recruit is a guaranteed flag but you can't win the thing solely on drafting... doesn't matter how good your recruiting team is. Need and always will be a blend.

What you use paying in money to a FA you save in draft picks. And we all know how scared people on here get about trading those. Even when it's simply a chance on a player that may or may not make the grade.
User avatar
Spinner
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7719
Joined: Sat 02 Dec 2006 3:40pm
Location: Victoria

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby dragit » Thu 02 Mar 2017 12:39pm

There's not much point stockpiling cap space if we don't use it on a star FA, we've been hearing for years that this is part of our strategy.

Fyfe is probably 1.2+ mil & Martin would be 1+ mil on the open market in my opinion.

You don't get a top 10-20 mid of the comp moving for unders…

Free agents of this caliber and age profile aren't going to come around every year so we need to be very proactive, it's the absolute perfect time for us.
User avatar
dragit
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 11905
Joined: Tue 29 Jun 2010 11:56am

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Wombat15 » Thu 02 Mar 2017 1:30pm

ON the field yes. Off the field No. Im really torn with this bloke.
Wombat15
Club Player
 
Posts: 281
Joined: Wed 21 Oct 2015 4:21pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby White Winmar » Thu 02 Mar 2017 3:59pm

On the field results is all we're about, wombat. If we won the 2017 flag, would you care if the match winner was a known scallywag or rascal. I think not. North Melbourne and Wayne Carey. Mega c*nt, but match winner. I just want a flag before I cross the river Styx.
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby saynta » Thu 02 Mar 2017 5:21pm

Wombat15 wrote:ON the field yes. Off the field No. Im really torn with this bloke.


Offer him a million bucks plus. The Tigers will then have to match that offer.

At least we can cost them a 1/4 million, but we might even snag him.
saynta
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4916
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 3:53pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby sunsaint » Thu 02 Mar 2017 6:00pm

Spinner wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Here we go again. If we just land that big fish, all will magically fall into place and we'll win the flag. It's a similar mentality to the rationale around the recruitment of Andrew Lovett...ooh, we just need that extra experienced player who has pace to break the lines, and under Ken Sheldon it was, ooh, if we just get a couple of experienced players from other clubs. Or under Thomas and Butterss it was, we'll just go out and pay a million to get a super coach (cough, cough). It's like going to the Melbourne Cup and placing all your money on the one horse everyone's been raving about. It guarantees nothing. So, do we pay outlandish money to a talented, yet obviously flawed individual? Do we chase Fyfe and pay him 1.3 million a year? The smarter moves are the ones we've already done, like getting Jack Steele for a second rounder or picking up Tim Membrey and Dylan Roberton for nothing. There's that old saying....Don't put all your eggs in one basket.



So how do we fill that 1.5m space we have in our salary cap? Recruit a couple more borderline senior players?

No ones saying a massive recruit is a guaranteed flag but you can't win the thing solely on drafting... doesn't matter how good your recruiting team is. Need and always will be a blend.

What you use paying in money to a FA you save in draft picks. And we all know how scared people on here get about trading those. Even when it's simply a chance on a player that may or may not make the grade.

agreed but not only just for salary cap reasons
the club has traded away top draft picks in recent years for a player and "debatable" draft position improvement selections ( i know that doesnt read well)
It is obviously THE plan stkilda hierarchy have planned for years in the past and now we must follow the course
(hopefully to the top)
Seeya
Sunsaint
*************
sunsaint
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3360
Joined: Mon 07 Aug 2006 9:50pm
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Bluthy » Fri 03 Mar 2017 10:47am

We will be making mega-offers for both Fyfe and Dusty. This has always been the plan to use our salary cap space (I think we've underpaid for 3 years which lets us over pay for 3 years - I think) Both of the them are exactly what we want - classy elite players at their peak as we want to maximise Carlisle and Steven who are in their prime now. Fyfe the best extractor in the game and dangerous x-factor forward, Dusty classy ball user, good in the middle with some dash and goal scoring ability.

Chances at Fyfe have dropped now he's got the captaincy. Still if it goes pear-shaped at Freo again you never know. Martin is more a possibility. Remember he tried to get out last contract talks and almost ended up at Sydney before they got cold feet. I heard he was pretty pissed off thinking Richmond were paying him unders and could still be nursing that grudge. Hardwick is a tosser too and should go this year so that is a lot of uncertainty with a really uneven list. Bit of a risk due to his dickhead-factor but is at an age where he should mature a bit and start to realise that footy and the money doesn't last forever so you should knuckle down. I'd go $1.1 or 1.2m over 5 years. With the increase in player payments that won't be that much really. You gotta pay overs to get them out.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4068
Joined: Wed 29 May 2013 8:05pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Johnny Member » Fri 03 Mar 2017 11:47am

Dusty is the go.
User avatar
Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4157
Joined: Thu 05 Oct 2006 12:27pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Spinner » Fri 03 Mar 2017 12:05pm

Bluthy wrote:We will be making mega-offers for both Fyfe and Dusty. This has always been the plan to use our salary cap space (I think we've underpaid for 3 years which lets us over pay for 3 years - I think) Both of the them are exactly what we want - classy elite players at their peak as we want to maximise Carlisle and Steven who are in their prime now. Fyfe the best extractor in the game and dangerous x-factor forward, Dusty classy ball user, good in the middle with some dash and goal scoring ability.

Chances at Fyfe have dropped now he's got the captaincy. Still if it goes pear-shaped at Freo again you never know. Martin is more a possibility. Remember he tried to get out last contract talks and almost ended up at Sydney before they got cold feet. I heard he was pretty pissed off thinking Richmond were paying him unders and could still be nursing that grudge. Hardwick is a tosser too and should go this year so that is a lot of uncertainty with a really uneven list. Bit of a risk due to his dickhead-factor but is at an age where he should mature a bit and start to realise that footy and the money doesn't last forever so you should knuckle down. I'd go $1.1 or 1.2m over 5 years. With the increase in player payments that won't be that much really. You gotta pay overs to get them out.



Yes, Freo failing miserably and Richmond having uncertainty and sacking Hawdwick would go heavily in our favour!

Still a small chance of one of them leaving but you never know.
User avatar
Spinner
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 7719
Joined: Sat 02 Dec 2006 3:40pm
Location: Victoria

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby StPeter » Fri 03 Mar 2017 2:27pm

No I don't want him at our club!
StPeter
Club Player
 
Posts: 402
Joined: Thu 22 Jun 2006 4:03pm
Location: StKilda East

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby resaintlee » Fri 03 Mar 2017 2:33pm

If he came in as our top paid player it would/should our female supporters. Hasn't it been said that character is as important as playing ability?
resaintlee
Club Player
 
Posts: 246
Joined: Wed 21 Oct 2009 11:18am
Location: Bendigo

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Saint_J » Fri 03 Mar 2017 5:13pm

White Winmar wrote:It is being reported on SEN and elsewhere that the Tigers have opened negotiations with Dusty's management with a deal worth $800,000 a year, for four years. We are certainly able to trump that given our salary cap room, but do we want to and more importantly, will we? I'd up the price a fraction and add an extra year. I think we should go for him.

I wouldn't have said that two years ago, but he has matured and settled a bit and his footy was superb last year. I think chopstickgate and the deportation of his father have had a calming, rather than destructive effect. Nothing like a couple of crises to drive home the fact that he is privileged to do what he is doing and that it won't last forever.

Maybe, just maybe, at 25, he is starting to realise his awesome potential. Hopefully, if we do get him, the Tigers will have done the hard work for us. As a bonus, he was a mad saints fan as a kid. Maybe his dad could be a liaison officer in NZ? That last bit was a joke.


great player but imo overs, so no from me.
Saint_J
Club Player
 
Posts: 304
Joined: Mon 10 Aug 2015 4:01pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Premium89 » Sat 04 Mar 2017 9:38pm

Surely the other players getting their noses out of joint wouldn't be huge issue - once they get past a certain level of experience, don't they all negotiate their contracts individually (or their management does)?

So they're all on slightly different pay scales to begin with... so working out who's getting paid more than who would be pretty boring after a while surely?

Carlisle was bought in on a well publicised large contract - doesn't seem like the sky's fallen in just yet...
Premium89
Club Player
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon 01 Aug 2011 1:23pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Premium89 » Sat 04 Mar 2017 9:40pm

PS if we can get him without spending draft picks, I'd say go for it.
Premium89
Club Player
 
Posts: 84
Joined: Mon 01 Aug 2011 1:23pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Wayne42 » Sat 04 Mar 2017 9:47pm

MOD EDIT <<< ...... that Tattooed Maori ....... >>>
Too much trouble, to many excuses for his waywardness.

Let him join his thug old man in Kiwi Land...



POSTER WARNED FOR RACIST CONTENT AND INAPPROPRIATE LANGUAGE
User avatar
Wayne42
Club Player
 
Posts: 1672
Joined: Mon 24 Jun 2013 10:27pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby White Winmar » Sun 05 Mar 2017 12:31pm

Wayne42 wrote:MOD EDIT <<< ...... that Tattooed Maori ....... >>>
Too much trouble, to many excuses for his waywardness.

Let him join his thug old man in Kiwi Land...

Please don't visit the sins of the father upon the son. I think a lot of the bad press around Dusty actually centres around his old man. What's the boy's crime? Loving his father and being loyal to him? Good qualities I would suggest. Imagine him being mentored by Roo and Joey, away from the rabble at Richmond. He'd blossom. Gun player. Once in a decade opportunity. Get him, I say. We'll worry about the details once he's in our colours. He will be the cherry on top of the cake, we so desperately need. At the moment, at Richmond, he's a cherry on top of a compost heap.
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby SaintPav » Sun 05 Mar 2017 2:23pm

Wayne42 wrote: MOD EDIT <<< ........that Tattooed Maori .... >>>

Too much trouble, to many excuses for his waywardness.

Let him join his thug old man in Kiwi Land...


Great language for forum which is supposed to be open to all.

Racist

Misogynistic

Vulgar

Pull your head in.
User avatar
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 9592
Joined: Wed 16 Jun 2010 9:24pm
Location: Alma Road

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Jacks Back » Sun 05 Mar 2017 10:20pm

White Winmar wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:MOD EDIT <<< ...... that Tattooed Maori ....... >>>
Too much trouble, to many excuses for his waywardness.

Let him join his thug old man in Kiwi Land...

Please don't visit the sins of the father upon the son. I think a lot of the bad press around Dusty actually centres around his old man. What's the boy's crime? Loving his father and being loyal to him? Good qualities I would suggest. Imagine him being mentored by Roo and Joey, away from the rabble at Richmond. He'd blossom. Gun player. Once in a decade opportunity. Get him, I say. We'll worry about the details once he's in our colours. He will be the cherry on top of the cake, we so desperately need. At the moment, at Richmond, he's a cherry on top of a compost heap.

There was something about chopsticks and a woman.
As president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”
Jacks Back
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3823
Joined: Sat 11 Jun 2011 4:52pm
Location: Here

Re: Tigers offer Dusty 800K. Should we trump them?

Postby Impatient Sainter » Sun 05 Mar 2017 11:16pm

Would rather not go after Martin - surely the no d**khead policy is still in vogue at the club? Recruit more kids and players like Steele and save your pennies Saints and spread it evenly across a stronger list.
Impatient Sainter
Club Player
 
Posts: 660
Joined: Tue 05 Apr 2016 3:30pm

PreviousNext

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BadRossco, Baidu [Spider], Bing [Bot], Darth Vader, jimmy_slats and 26 guests