NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES ...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby Life Long Saint » Mon 27 Feb 2017 11:13am

cwrcyn wrote:All this Fyfe and Martin fantasizing is nonsense. It's that Carlton/Judd mentality. Ooh, if we get Chris Judd, we'll be in premiership contention.


Completely different.

1. Free agency is an option so we don't have to give up a first round pick and Josh Kennedy to get him.
2. Carlton attempted to build a team around Chris Judd. You don't build a premiership team around a midfielder, no matter how good he is. A lesson Gold Coast failed to learn from Carlton.
3. We have a much better spine in place that a gun midfielder would already compliment what we have. Carlton never had this. Ever!
4. We've invested heavily in midfield depth. A Judd type player would be the icing on the cake, not the cake itself.
5. We have two first round picks in the draft and could readily give one of them up for the right player. i.e. we have an extra farm to sell if we need to sell the farm to get a player.
User avatar
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:54pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby borderbarry » Mon 27 Feb 2017 12:17pm

Yes, we have two first round picks, neither of which will very high, and again we have no second round pick. We have a 3rd and two fourth round picks.
User avatar
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6676
Joined: Mon 19 Apr 2004 11:22pm
Location: Wodonga

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby To the top » Mon 27 Feb 2017 1:50pm

Acres to me at least has vision and invention with the ball.

I know Raph Clarke was the subject of comment on here, but he also had vision and invention with the ball.

These players are a little different in that they are 2 moves ahead - or are seeking an option to progress 2 moves.

That is why they win games for you.

Think Clarke chipping ahead of Riewoldt to the pocket in the final v WB catching the WB defence out and allowing Riewoldt to run onto the free ball.

Goal.

Win.

They are different - also in their ground coverage patterns.
To the top
SS Hall of Fame
 
Posts: 2169
Joined: Fri 16 Mar 2007 4:05pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby st sandy » Mon 27 Feb 2017 5:14pm

cwrcyn wrote:
All this Fyfe and Martin fantasizing is nonsense. It's that Carlton/Judd mentality. Ooh, if we get Chris Judd, we'll be in premiership contention. How about we keep Blake Acres, keep our two first round draft picks and keep building long term sustainable success, rather than thinking all will be magically perfect if we score a superstar from another club

I also agree with cwcyn. Why put at risk the leadership & direction of this current group - bring in two of the top 15 draft selections from next year to build sustained success
st sandy
Club Player
 
Posts: 25
Joined: Sat 17 Sep 2011 4:38pm
Location: SANDRINGHAM

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby longtimesaint » Mon 27 Feb 2017 5:40pm

borderbarry wrote:Yes, we have two first round picks, neither of which will very high, and again we have no second round pick. We have a 3rd and two fourth round picks.

Did we get two first round picks from Hawthorn and will we also have our own first round pick?
One year will be our year
longtimesaint
Club Player
 
Posts: 1144
Joined: Thu 01 May 2008 6:30pm
Location: Mentone

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby White Winmar » Mon 27 Feb 2017 6:00pm

We only got one first round pick through the Hawthorn deal. We have our own as well. As BB pointed out, I doubt either will be very high. I expect ourselves and the dorks to finish around the bottom of the eight, possibly higher, meaning we will have two in the 11-18 range. Still pretty good and when combined, might be enough to pry loose a Josh Kelly or similar. Or, we could use them, with the hope of snaring another Two players of the quality of Gresham, Acres or Dustan. Either way we win.
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby BringBackMadDog » Mon 27 Feb 2017 6:53pm

SMS wrote:Look at the big clubs of hawks, cats and pies they went and got danger trelor and omeara. We got carlisle and steele which is good, but, if we want a flag in the next 5 years we MUST GET ONE OF THESE BLOKES NOW!!!
If we dont we will always be short that elite midfielder that we need.
Surely the club is doing eveything they can to get FYFE.
I right now believe he is coming to us. Hes never denied leaving freo at end of this year, hes latest remarks regarding melbourne (fox special). With fyfe, 2018 is possible for a flag. We must do this for reiwoldt. Otherwise we'll be another north and tigers.

RE ACRES: This kid could be one of the best nids in the game. He could be KOUTAFIDES FFS. Whats his problem? Its MENTAL. He makes great decisions, he has elite skill and he IS NOT SLOW. BUT HE IS SLOW WITH BALL IN HAND AND WHEN HE HAS SPACE.
Why? Its a psychological problem which a sports psychologist needs to work on. Fix it and he becomes elite.

Sorry to YELL BUT getting FYFE (or dusty) and FIXING ACRES with the natural progression (which is seemingly happening) and REIWOLDT still as fit as ever (freak) we will win the 2018 flag (as GWS johnson griffen and deludio pack it in, and they lose extra talent meaning SYNERGY WILL DIE somewhat)

Lets not do the ordinary stkilda thing and ignore these things as not important. They are the difference between finals and flags.

I'm not sure how many times you've seen Acres play, but I can assure you he does not have elite skills, his kicking is 50/50 at best, don't get me wrong I think he can be a special player, but he needs to play with more intensity and he needs to improve his use by foot
BringBackMadDog
Club Player
 
Posts: 1635
Joined: Thu 05 Aug 2004 9:29am

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby Con Gorozidis » Mon 27 Feb 2017 6:56pm

Didnt the coach come out at the end of last year and say Acres was in our top 3 players in the last 5 weeks of the season?

As for Martin or Fyfe.
Ive heard it all before on here.

O'Meara, Heppell, Hurley, L Weller, J Cameron, Laverde, Kelly, Jack Riewoldt etc

A phone call between a club and a player Mgr means absolutely nothing.
User avatar
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 22425
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008 4:04pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby Devilhead » Mon 27 Feb 2017 9:21pm

Fyfe and Martin are not great kicks either but they make things happen as does Acres - like breaking through 3 tackles and getting the ball moving

No use holding Acres back because his kicking needs improving - the way he was shaping up last year shows he has the potential to be a bona fide game breaker if he isn't already

They must play him
The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
User avatar
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4542
Joined: Mon 08 Mar 2004 11:56pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby skeptic » Mon 27 Feb 2017 10:56pm

Devilhead wrote:Fyfe and Martin are not great kicks either but they make things happen as does Acres - like breaking through 3 tackles and getting the ball moving

No use holding Acres back because his kicking needs improving - the way he was shaping up last year shows he has the potential to be a bona fide game breaker if he isn't already

They must play him


I wish this forum had a like button :D
skeptic
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 8494
Joined: Wed 10 Mar 2004 7:10pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby White Winmar » Mon 27 Feb 2017 11:55pm

skeptic wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Fyfe and Martin are not great kicks either but they make things happen as does Acres - like breaking through 3 tackles and getting the ball moving

No use holding Acres back because his kicking needs improving - the way he was shaping up last year shows he has the potential to be a bona fide game breaker if he isn't already

They must play him


I wish this forum had a like button :D

Plus one. :D
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby SaintPav » Tue 28 Feb 2017 8:18am

Acres has only played 26 games.

I would be happy if he played a minimum of 18 games this year and averaged 20 possessions a game.
User avatar
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 9592
Joined: Wed 16 Jun 2010 9:24pm
Location: Alma Road

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby bigcarl » Tue 28 Feb 2017 9:11am

White Winmar wrote:
skeptic wrote:
Devilhead wrote:Fyfe and Martin are not great kicks either but they make things happen as does Acres - like breaking through 3 tackles and getting the ball moving

No use holding Acres back because his kicking needs improving - the way he was shaping up last year shows he has the potential to be a bona fide game breaker if he isn't already

They must play him


I wish this forum had a like button :D

Plus one. :D


Like :D
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 15244
Joined: Thu 11 Mar 2004 1:36am

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby borderbarry » Tue 28 Feb 2017 10:35am

I dont understand why there is so much love for Dusty Martin here. I thought there was a no stupid in our recruiting rules, and I dint think any body other than a stupid person would have those tattoos on his throat.
User avatar
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6676
Joined: Mon 19 Apr 2004 11:22pm
Location: Wodonga

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby borderbarry » Tue 28 Feb 2017 10:36am

I agree that we have a good one in Acres. Dunstan, Seb Ross, are doing well too.
User avatar
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6676
Joined: Mon 19 Apr 2004 11:22pm
Location: Wodonga

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby Life Long Saint » Tue 28 Feb 2017 12:01pm

borderbarry wrote:I dont understand why there is so much love for Dusty Martin here. I thought there was a no stupid in our recruiting rules, and I dint think any body other than a stupid person would have those tattoos on his throat.

Yeah...we only recruit players that video themselves inhaling white powder and snapchat it to friends.
User avatar
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:54pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby loris » Tue 28 Feb 2017 12:55pm

Life Long Saint wrote:
borderbarry wrote:I dont understand why there is so much love for Dusty Martin here. I thought there was a no stupid in our recruiting rules, and I dint think any body other than a stupid person would have those tattoos on his throat.

Yeah...we only recruit players that video themselves inhaling white powder and snapchat it to friends.


That was only known by Saints after the recruitment deal was signed........... remember Essendon kept it quiet for a few week.

I wish to gawd we'd never recruited the Bogan and his revolting tatts, but what's done is done, now this princess has to suck it up and begrudging support him because he plays for the team I love. And I know from speaking to many Saint fans there are plenty who think like me. We will accept him - he may be trusted after years of unblemished service to the Saints.

I hope we steer clear of another tattooed bogan from another club, of dubious character ie Martin, who would only come to the Saints for dollars & cents, no other reason.

I'm sure if Saints try hard enough we can cultivate a tattooed bogan of our own who is a champion footballer - but one who has played from the Saints from the get go and will have loyalty to the red, White & black.
loris
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue 22 Jan 2008 5:41pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby Life Long Saint » Tue 28 Feb 2017 1:03pm

loris wrote:I'm sure if Saints try hard enough we can cultivate a tattooed bogan of our own who is a champion footballer - but one who has played from the Saints from the get go and will have loyalty to the red, White & black.

You mean like Peter Everitt or Barry Hall?
User avatar
Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 4146
Joined: Tue 09 Mar 2004 12:54pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby loris » Tue 28 Feb 2017 1:45pm

Life Long Saint wrote:
loris wrote:I'm sure if Saints try hard enough we can cultivate a tattooed bogan of our own who is a champion footballer - but one who has played from the Saints from the get go and will have loyalty to the red, White & black.

You mean like Peter Everitt or Barry Hall?


Maybe we shouldn't try to cultivate one then LLS, this goes to strengthen my opinion that tattooed, bogans of dubious character aren't the loyal types!! :wink:
loris
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue 22 Jan 2008 5:41pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby WellardSaint » Tue 28 Feb 2017 3:17pm

loris wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
loris wrote:I'm sure if Saints try hard enough we can cultivate a tattooed bogan of our own who is a champion footballer - but one who has played from the Saints from the get go and will have loyalty to the red, White & black.

You mean like Peter Everitt or Barry Hall?


Maybe we shouldn't try to cultivate one then LLS, this goes to strengthen my opinion that tattooed, bogans of dubious character aren't the loyal types!! :wink:

when do we get our tickets for round 2?
We need new assistant coaches.
The current ones are underperforming. "Player development" is a phrase that means nothing at Seaford.
Who has developed? Who has gone backwards this year?
User avatar
WellardSaint
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3710
Joined: Sat 26 May 2012 11:25am
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby borderbarry » Tue 28 Feb 2017 3:40pm

Unless a person has a single tatto normally out of sight, like "Mum" or a reference to his service unit, I have found most multi tattooed people not to be Einsteins. Tattoos are often linked with drugs as well.
User avatar
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6676
Joined: Mon 19 Apr 2004 11:22pm
Location: Wodonga

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby spert » Tue 28 Feb 2017 8:12pm

Dunno abou tatts, but Acres needs as much game time as possible, regardless of whatever flaws he is supposed to have. Every player on our list has flaws.
spert
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 6773
Joined: Wed 29 Jun 2005 10:39pm
Location: A distant beach

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby White Winmar » Tue 28 Feb 2017 8:23pm

Acres will be a gun. I remember all the negative press Brendon Goddard got in his first few years. Turned out OK, didn't he? I see Acres as a similar type developmentally. I know he's not as good a kick as BJ, very few are, but he has a strong body already, great vision and a quick mind. I reckon he'll be one of our best in time.
I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
User avatar
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend
 
Posts: 5014
Joined: Tue 02 Jun 2009 10:02pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby loris » Tue 28 Feb 2017 9:41pm

WellardSaint wrote:
loris wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
loris wrote:I'm sure if Saints try hard enough we can cultivate a tattooed bogan of our own who is a champion footballer - but one who has played from the Saints from the get go and will have loyalty to the red, White & black.

You mean like Peter Everitt or Barry Hall?


Maybe we shouldn't try to cultivate one then LLS, this goes to strengthen my opinion that tattooed, bogans of dubious character aren't the loyal types!! :wink:

when do we get our tickets for round 2?


Yes Wellard S I'm starting to worry about that. Last season it was months before the event. Maybe because it'sa game so early in the season the Ticketing agent hasn't worked it all out yet.

All I know is you can be rest assured - it will be a heat wave then- and we will be looking into the blazing sun for at least the first quarter & a half before the sun gets below the stands.
loris
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3808
Joined: Tue 22 Jan 2008 5:41pm

Re: NATHAN FYFE OR DUSTY MARTIN. WE MUST GET ONE. And ACRES

Postby Jacks Back » Tue 28 Feb 2017 10:15pm

loris wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
loris wrote:I'm sure if Saints try hard enough we can cultivate a tattooed bogan of our own who is a champion footballer - but one who has played from the Saints from the get go and will have loyalty to the red, White & black.

You mean like Peter Everitt or Barry Hall?


Maybe we shouldn't try to cultivate one then LLS, this goes to strengthen my opinion that tattooed, bogans of dubious character aren't the loyal types!! :wink:

We have Wright and Membrey with sleeve tattoos along with Carlisle now.
As president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”
Jacks Back
SS Life Member
 
Posts: 3823
Joined: Sat 11 Jun 2011 4:52pm
Location: Here

PreviousNext

Return to Saintsational Fan Forum (open to all ages)

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: BadRossco, Baidu [Spider], Darth Vader, jimmy_slats, Verdun66 and 28 guests