Joey and the old man injury

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Joey and the old man injury

Any of us past the age of 30 and who were still playing sport know how a calf injury can really take a toll.

At 33 years of age and as a player who relies on his running, a calf injury preseason sounds warning bells

I would think that he will be managed strongly this year and would play maybe 12-14 games, keeping him fresh for september? I could be wrong but have had many calf injuries and understand the issues

On the other hand it may open the door for someone

fqf

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Joey and the old man injury

terry smith rules wrote:Any of us past the age of 30 and who were still playing sport know how a calf injury can really take a toll.

At 33 years of age and as a player who relies on his running, a calf injury preseason sounds warning bells

I would think that he will be managed strongly this year and would play maybe 12-14 games, keeping him fresh for september? I could be wrong but have had many calf injuries and understand the issues

fqf
I'm afraid you may be right, TSR. Often the death knell for a career of the older gentleman. I hope not, as Joey still has a lot to contribute, but he's already under pressure for his spot with DMac, White, Webster, Steele et al. Interesting to note Jaxons (aka Nathan Burke) did not have him in his "locks" for round one. Hmmm.........

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
terry smith rules wrote:Any of us past the age of 30 and who were still playing sport know how a calf injury can really take a toll.

fqf
I'm afraid you may be right, TSR. Often the death knell for a career of the older gentleman. I hope not, as Joey still has a lot to contribute, but he's already under pressure for his spot with DMac, White, Webster, Steele et al. Interesting to note Jaxons (aka Nathan Burke) did not have him in his "locks" for round one. Hmmm.........

Is he really Nathan Burke???!!! Fantastic!

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

I'm Nathan Burke
and so is my wife

In red white and black from 73
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Another she's not. I'm Nathan Burke.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

You're both wrong. I'm Nathan Burke!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
gurubob101
Club Player

fqf
A.Hammill 2 weeks

noddy04
Club Player

I have the same birth date as Nathan Burke so I am Nathan Burke

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Hopefully not, he's played 240+ games in the last 11 seasons with a few suspensions in there so he's pretty resilient.

Some opportunity for younger blokes won't hurt though, as it's going to be hard to crack the ones this year.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Young people do calf muscles too, recovery time is the same... old players are more vulnerable to any soft tissue injury, just because elasticity in skeletal muscle lessens

Joey will be fine

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Richo hasn't really been much of rotation guy with his core and older players. Joey would still be one of the first picked by Richo I reckon due to his ability to kick penetrating from the back and get through tough zones. Unless Billings or White or Rice or Mckenzie really comes on in that role they still need him doing that.

But I agree resting some of the oldies like Demps & Gilbo (would we even dare to say Rooey?) would keep them fresh and give some others a chance who are playing really strong footy at VFL level. Just can't see Richo doing it.