Who gets in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Who gets in

Of the side I have named there are 3 players who, in playing their first game of AFL football left me with the impression they had that extra dimension that would see them excel at AFL level, and I made it known on this site at those times, and subsequent.

Those 3 players were Hickey, Dunstan and Acres.

In the last round of 2016, I added a fourth - White.

In a shoot out on our home ground against a bottom side from inter-state, where defensive capacity was scarce except for Fisher's reading of the play, White defended well, wearing his opposite number like a glove in marking situations, more importantly, not losing his feet in the contest and providing run and rebound.

He just looked the full package to me.

So I trust that he proves me correct and can consolidate at AFL level during 2017, cementing a spot in a defence with A Grade disruptive capacity, contested ball win capacity, superior usage under disruption pressure and excellent release capabilities by leg speed, hand and foot.

And there is a wing and a prayer, because this is where I see our weakness - noting that the inclusion of Carlisle and Brown/Goddard spreads Gilbert and Roberton who both have the capabilities we seek.

To me, the improvement will come from our back 6/7.

And this will augment the natural improvement among our rucks, mids and forwards.

I would not overlook both Longer and Hickey playing because Hickey has utility capabilities.

We will rely on age not catching up with Riewoldt and Montagna.

From there I am of the opinion that Weller and Membrey will be the 2 under pressure - and in saying that I am aware of the commitment of Weller but he needs to continue to impact and I have a sneaking look at who Membrey kicked his goals against in 2016 so he needs to have the same presence against upper echelon clubs - as they sort themselves out in 2017 because, as I said, I reckon it is going to be a very even season.

Freeman we obviously considered at Number 3, then he slipped to 10 (and Collingwood) but we stayed interested.

Now we look for him to show us why!

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:He's good enough. He showed last season he's more than just another run of the mill midfielder. IMO, of course
I agree but we've recruited a lot of midfield depth and are looking to get more.
He was pick 17 so we should be expecting him to play 200+ games.
I've got him down as a key part of our premiership team. But, hey, I've been wrong before. Not often, but it does happen.
let's hope you're at lest half right!

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
jaxons
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:
jaxons wrote:Just to help you the following players are a lock for Round 1:

Geary
Roberton Carlisle McKenzie
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

Likely that 3 spots are up for grabs and will be decided during JLT, and influenced by form and injury.
Also doesn't mean they are a lock each week, but at this stage, the above players have done enough over pre-season and early form to be given first crack.
Interesting to see that you have Koby as a lock ahead of Steele and Acres. All three big bodied mids.
Koby has had a super impressive summer and has won the respect of the entire playing group and coaches.
Acres and Steele will also see lots of senior football in 2017.
He couldn't get a game for the Bulldogs. Why should he be a walk up start for us, particularly ahead of Acres, who finished the season particularly strongly. Was he guaranteed a game if he came across?
Jaxons reckons he's been super impressive at training. He started last season really well with the Dogs including a BOG in round 4 or 5 and polled Brownlow votes in 2 games before being injured in round 6. Got back into the side late in the season and polled anothr 2 Brownlow votes but couldn't really get his mojo back apart from that game. Squeezed out of the Dogs finals sides. Must be able to play a bit.
Well said St Byron you are spot on.
Had an injury that stopped him from running last year.
Was effectively a form of OP.
And as a midfielder if you can't run and keep your fitness base you fall well behind the standard required at AFL level.
Could prove to be a excellent recruit Koby.
Can tell you all the players think he is a gun.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Geary
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings l
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

Likely that 3 spots are up for grabs and will be decided during JLT, and influenced by form and injury.
Also doesn't mean they are a lock each week, but at this stage, the above players have done enough over pre-season and early form to be given first crack.
Interesting to see that you have Koby as a lock ahead of Steele and Acres. All three big bodied mids.
Koby has had a super impressive summer and has won the respect of the entire playing group and coaches.
He couldn't get a game for the Bulldogs. Why should he be a walk up start for us, particularly ahead of Acres, who finished the season particularly strongly. Was he guaranteed a game if he came across?
Jaxons reckons he's been super impressive at training. He started last season really well with the Dogs including a BOG in round 4 or 5 and polled Brownlow votes in 2 games before being injured in round 6. Got back into the side late in the season and polled anothr 2 Brownlow votes but couldn't really get his mojo back apart from that game. Squeezed out of the Dogs finals sides. Must be able to play a bit.
And as a midfielder if you can't run and keep your fitness base you fall well behind the standard required at AFL level.
Certainly hope it turns out that way. If so will be another excellent bit of recruiting a la Membrey and Robbo. Basically cost us nothing.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

This is great news.

Stevens' only weakness I recall was his disposal. Looks ok to me.

Think the Dogs might regret letting Stevens go.

Side question: is Toby McLean that much better than Jack Sinclair?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Geary
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

This is great to hear. As mentioned the promising thing is that Kobe's shown a couple of times his best is top 3 on ground quality. First half of the year he was playing brilliantly albeit it took 6-7 years to get there.

He was impressive at the intraclub and I'm glad to hear he walks into the team.

Off topic but interesting, the prospectus has our midfield ranked 5th - I noticed this late last night so might have read wrong but that is against popular opinion! We are getting good depth in there now with some promising youngsters.

wally
Club Player

I think to be ranked 5th is on the back of improvement plus adding some more good players.
That backs up the theory of champion team versus team of champions, sure add a superstar but
you might find a good group will get better as they cant tag everyone.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

jax how confident are you re Carlisle being match ready enough for round 1?
Or is the departure of Fisher means we need him in even if he's only at 80% given all the time he's missed?

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Stevens was excellent in the intraclub. Looked raring to go.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
jaxons
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:jax how confident are you re Carlisle being match ready enough for round 1?
Or is the departure of Fisher means we need him in even if he's only at 80% given all the time he's missed?

Carlisle needs match fitness.
Getting tired very early so far in games, will get fitter as year goes on but may tire towards end of year.
Will certainly be better in 2018.
Seeing this you can sense that Essendon might be quite similar this year, you would rather play them early or late in the season.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Hello Jaxons,
How's Brandon White going? Can we expect game time for him in 2017?

jaxons
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:Hello Jaxons,
Highly rated as a player but disappointed the coaching staff with the shape he arrived in for preseason after been given a taste of AFL in last round of last year.
Will be a player in the future but is coming from a fair way back right now for 2017.

SuperDuper
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:jax how confident are you re Carlisle being match ready enough for round 1?

Carlisle needs match fitness.
Getting tired very early so far in games, will get fitter as year goes on but may tire towards end of year.
Will certainly be better in 2018.
Seeing this you can sense that Essendon might be quite similar this year, you would rather play them early or late in the season.
Presumably a lot of the bombers had a full pre season though.
Carlisle has not.

I always wonder about those who miss long stretches of pre season, whether it is better to plan to hold them back for a month or so... and just get them doing all the hard work they missed...

the evidence is examples like Armitage, who really has struggled to have full pre seasons through his career, and had a great one prior to 2015 and then had a great season... and had a restricted pre season in 2016 and a less good year

Membrey as well... on the back of a lot of running he had a good 2016

anecdotal, I know.. but something that could be explored with data, all the information is there.

22 games is along season and finishing near the top needs a good squad.. holding one or two back until they are really fit may end up paying off
Last edited by SuperDuper on Thu 23 Feb 2017 9:54am, edited 1 time in total.

shrodes
SS Life Member

jaxons wrote:
Highly rated as a player but disappointed the coaching staff with the shape he arrived in for preseason after been given a taste of AFL in last round of last year.
Will be a player in the future but is coming from a fair way back right now for 2017.
:( doesn't he know who's sponsoring him? Get back on the wagon, Brandon!

Saint wagga
Club Player

Great thread! So many tough calls to make. Small forward, small rebound defenders, mid combos...what a good dilemma to have! Injury will certainly happen and provide opportunity so I'm not going jump up and down in frustration if my fav players aren't picked straight away!
My current best 22
Geary, Carlisle, Dempster
Montagna, Roberton, Mackenzie
Newnes, Ross, Riewoldt
Weller, Bruce, billings
Membrey, McCartin, Lonie
Foll: Hickey, Steven Armo
Int: Gresham, Acres, Webster, Dunstan

Obviously people will disagree with this side as there is plenty of my favs in there and as I said, injury will create chances throughout the season, but I am seriously bullish about our chances to really do something this year!!

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
Thanks J.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Saint wagga wrote:Great thread! So many tough calls to make. Small forward, small rebound defenders, mid combos...what a good dilemma to have! Injury will certainly happen and provide opportunity so I'm not going jump up and down in frustration if my fav players aren't picked straight away!
My current best 22
Geary, Carlisle, Dempster
Montagna, Roberton, Mackenzie
Newnes, Ross, Riewoldt
Weller, Bruce, billings
Membrey, McCartin, Lonie
Foll: Hickey, Steven Armo
Int: Gresham, Acres, Webster, Dunstan

Obviously people will disagree with this side as there is plenty of my favs in there and as I said, injury will create chances throughout the season, but I am seriously bullish about our chances to really do something this year!!

Good effort. Lonie won't be there and Hickey could be replaced by Longer. Steele and Brown are good chances.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Would be surprised if Savage isn't in the round 1 side.

8856brother wrote:Would be surprised if Savage isn't in the round 1 side.
His defensive work looked much better in Port game. Won a few important one on ones. Its his kicking thats frustrating. For someone with a rep of being a beautiful kick he still missing easy targets. Clean that up and he's in every week.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Savage is a strange one.
Sometimes you think he is one of our top 5 players.
Other times I think he is one of our worst. Seems to all depend on his mood. When he attacks he is good. Other times he just retreats and goes backwards in slow motion or sideways. He used to have a tendency to bomb it now he tries to lower the eyes. Still a work in progress imo.

At this stage our fwd line is

Weller Bruce Billings
Gresham McCartin Membrey

Nate Wright will be on the bench.The only thing I can see changing is Ben Long getting a run at some point.
Webster coming in.
I am surprised Jaxons doesnt have Acres in the side after the last part of last year.

Jaxons - has Acres had a poor pre-season?

And wasnt the knock on Koby Stevens at the Dogs - not that he couldnt run - but that he was a turnover merchant?
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Sat 25 Feb 2017 10:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I reckon McCartin needs to pull his finger out and start kicking some goals.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I'm not sure if he'll get games this year - but I hope Battle isn't being considered a " schoolboy-footballer" - is held back by being labelled as such - and is given every chance (once earned, of course).
He's got a good fitness base and is a reasonable build - and he knows where the goals are.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

samoht wrote:I'm not sure if he'll get games this year - but I hope Battle isn't being considered a " schoolboy-footballer" - is held back by being labelled as such - and is given every chance (once earned, of course).
He's got a good fitness base and is a reasonable build - and he knows where the goals are.

We had a couple of schoolboy footballers in 1966.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Postby magnifisaint » Sat 25 Feb 2017 8:53pm
I reckon McCartin needs to pull his finger out and start kicking some goals.

Battle needs to be played this week to see if it was a fluke in the interclub. McCartin is not impressing at the moment.

To the top
SS Life Member

Why the knock on McCartin based on one practice match?

He showed last season what he can deliver (as did Acres).

Plus, in the practice match he started ok, but from quarter time the disposal into the F50 was abysmal at best - as it degenerated to around the ground.

Bruce and Membrey found the going tough as well.

I had a thought that, given the comments on work to do with our defensive unit, there was a strategy to put our defence under pressure by gifting possessions to PA - and we certainly did that!

Roberton and Carlisle did very well, Gilbert and Brown did well but under them Savage, McKenzie and Geary were very, very poor.

So we take the lessons and move on.

White, Webster, Montagna and any other flank defenders know there are positions there to be grabbed.