Who gets in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who gets in

Those thinking Brown is not in ARs plans

Why did he say this

Brown and Carlisle will allow Sean, Robby and Gilbo to play in their natural positions and not have to fight out of their weight division

Brown was targeted for a purpose, not as a back up

Anyone who suggests Armo and/or Joey aren't locks have NFI

On what I saw Koby Stevens will walk in... Steele will not

Savage, Webster, Dunstan, DMac, Lonie, Gresh, Acres will. E fighting it out... a couple from that group may miss

To the top
SS Life Member

The Round 1 side will be what it is, but, heading into the Finals in 2017, I would like to see the following side having consolidated on performances:-

Gilbert Goddard White
Roberton Carlisle Montagna
Riewoldt Armitage Acres
Billings Bruce Weller
Freeman McCartin Membrey
Hickey Dunstan Steven
Steele Ross Newnes Gresham

And with pressure from those not named!

So only 3 veterans, being the versatile utility Gilbert and our 2 Champions in Riewoldt and Montagna.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Goddard

He's a mile off... and that was pre injury

Playon
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Goddard

I used to run a mile carrying a toolbox and in overalls in about 3 mins, So he's just about ready?

Playon
Club Player

Well what else would Richo say, honestly....
It may come down to horses for courses, and why is Dunstan ahead of Armo?
If Armo has recovered from his 2016 niggles he may have a big year. Same as Billings

Injuries have a way of sorting out our list, we've been lucky
Last edited by Playon on Mon 20 Feb 2017 6:46pm, edited 1 time in total.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The Round 1 side will be what it is, but, heading into the Finals in 2017, I would like to see the following side having consolidated on performances:-

Gilbert Goddard White
Riewoldt Armitage Acres
Billings Bruce Weller
Freeman McCartin Membrey
Hickey Dunstan Steven

So only 3 veterans, being the versatile utility Gilbert and our 2 Champions in Riewoldt and Montagna.
You'd think the skipper has 1-game-white covered for now.

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Brown will be a week to week prospect, given who we are play. With Gawn playing forward as well as Hogan, I'd be tempted to play Brown round 1.

We are all to soon forgetting about Goddard - where is he at with his recovery?

Playon
Club Player

Otiman wrote:Brown will be a week to week prospect, given who we are play. With Gawn playing forward as well as Hogan, I'd be tempted to play Brown round 1.

We are all to soon forgetting about Goddard - where is he at with his recovery?
The way i see it is the Brown gives Goddard the opportunity to develop, perhaps another year or 2 in the system. We were also looking to recruit Marchbank, Hurley? so I'm not convinced where he's at or how much confidence the club has in him, fingers crossed he works out well. He may be a project player and needs more time

DJ Higgins
Club Player

Couldn't agree more. He played one game only and was getting absolutely smashed before the injury and his VFL form was average at best. He has potential as all players do but he has to prove he can play at VFL level first. I doubt we will see him in 2017 unless we can't make finals and Richo pumps games into younger players to get their experience up

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Those thinking Brown is not in ARs plans

Why did he say this

Brown and Carlisle will allow Sean, Robby and Gilbo to play in their natural positions and not have to fight out of their weight division

Brown was targeted for a purpose, not as a back up

Anyone who suggests Armo and/or Joey aren't locks have NFI

On what I saw Koby Stevens will walk in... Steele will not

Savage, Webster, Dunstan, DMac, Lonie, Gresh, Acres will. E fighting it out... a couple from that group may miss

Name a team then hotshot instead of listing a bunch of players and stating some will play and some won't.

Don't be afraid to put it on the line.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Already done so <<< Mod Edit >>> Poster warned for abusive language.

And please don't presume you can tell me what to do, and I will take much notice.... I don't care for your opinion. You obviously don't care for much for mine, so don't bother making comment....

jaxons
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
jaxons wrote:Just to help you the following players are a lock for Round 1:

Geary
Roberton Carlisle McKenzie
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

Likely that 3 spots are up for grabs and will be decided during JLT, and influenced by form and injury.
Also doesn't mean they are a lock each week, but at this stage, the above players have done enough over pre-season and early form to be given first crack.
Interesting to see that you have Koby as a lock ahead of Steele and Acres. All three big bodied mids.
Koby has had a super impressive summer and has won the respect of the entire playing group and coaches.
Acres and Steele will also see lots of senior football in 2017.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Interesting peoples thoughts about Hugh, hopefully he comes good. When we drafted him I was hoping we would take Oscar McDonald with that pick - Oscar took 9 marks last weekend playing against the Bulldogs forward line. Hopefully when Hugh gets back he can do the same ? Interesting to hear he has dropped a fair bit of weight this year so that will definitely help with his mobility.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Geary
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

Likely that 3 spots are up for grabs and will be decided during JLT, and influenced by form and injury.
Also doesn't mean they are a lock each week, but at this stage, the above players have done enough over pre-season and early form to be given first crack.
Gilbert should be in for versatility - same reason Wright makes it in

Geary Brown (Hogan) _____ depends on match ups but Dempster is safest but i am a big fan of White.
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCartin Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Int: Stevens Dunstan Wright Gilbert

Emerg from - Longer, savage, montagna, acres, webster, steele, lonie, minchington, long and the list goes on and on ...

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
To the top
SS Life Member

BM, everyone is entitled to an opinion - and, if you are so pre-disposed you can respond to those opinions stating reasons.

The pre-amble was the side representing St Kilda in Week 1 of the 2017 Finals - and there was a reference to form.

So where the evolution of and the consolidation of performance over the course of Season 2017 positions the Club given our player resources, our hopes and our expectations.

By extension therefore, I would hope that, over the season of 2017, that Goddard is performing at AFL level in the VFL, knocks the door down and forces Brown from the side by season's end (and is doing what we recruited him for).

Because that is the evolution and consolidation I believe we need to see at St Kilda to give this competition an almighty shake in 2017 - also because I believe that this season will be one of the most even ever - and all sides are in with a chance so why not St Kilda?

Get it now?

No wonder some respond to you as they respond.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Geary
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

Interesting to see that you have Koby as a lock ahead of Steele and Acres. All three big bodied mids.
Koby has had a super impressive summer and has won the respect of the entire playing group and coaches.
He couldn't get a game for the Bulldogs. Why should he be a walk up start for us, particularly ahead of Acres, who finished the season particularly strongly. Was he guaranteed a game if he came across?

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Geary
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

He couldn't get a game for the Bulldogs. Why should he be a walk up start for us, particularly ahead of Acres, who finished the season particularly strongly. Was he guaranteed a game if he came across?
Jaxons reckons he's been super impressive at training. He started last season really well with the Dogs including a BOG in round 4 or 5 and polled Brownlow votes in 2 games before being injured in round 6. Got back into the side late in the season and polled anothr 2 Brownlow votes but couldn't really get his mojo back apart from that game. Squeezed out of the Dogs finals sides. Must be able to play a bit.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Geary
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

Might have something to do with the quality of midfields between the two teams. The Doggies have more midfield depth than we do.

Remember that Bruce couldn't get a game with GWS, Roberton struggled to get regular games with Fremantle, Mav Weller was surplus to requirements at Gold Coast...
I am sure that, over the next few seasons, we will lose players due to lack of opportunities. We won't be happy with them going but it will happen.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Geary
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

Might have something to do with the quality of midfields between the two teams. The Doggies have more midfield depth than we do.

Remember that Bruce couldn't get a game with GWS, Roberton struggled to get regular games with Fremantle, Mav Weller was surplus to requirements at Gold Coast...
I am sure that, over the next few seasons, we will lose players due to lack of opportunities. We won't be happy with them going but it will happen.

Let's hope we don't lose Acres due to lack of opportunity

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
jaxons wrote:
st.byron wrote:

Geary
Riewoldt Ross Newnes
Membrey Bruce Billings
Gresham McCarten Weller
Hickey Armitage Steven
Stevens Dunstan Wright

Let's hope we don't lose Acres due to lack of opportunity
That would only be the case if there are better players keeping him out of the team. If he's good enough, he'll play regularly. If not, then he'd be well within his rights to request a trade.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

He's good enough. He showed last season he's more than just another run of the mill midfielder. IMO, of course

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:He's good enough. He showed last season he's more than just another run of the mill midfielder. IMO, of course
I agree but we've recruited a lot of midfield depth and are looking to get more.
He was pick 17 so we should be expecting him to play 200+ games.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Agree wholeheartedly!

He will probably get there, but I doubt it will be this year. Hopefully 2018 with a full preseason behind him.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
bigcarl wrote:He's good enough. He showed last season he's more than just another run of the mill midfielder. IMO, of course
I agree but we've recruited a lot of midfield depth and are looking to get more.
He was pick 17 so we should be expecting him to play 200+ games.
I've got him down as a key part of our premiership team. But, hey, I've been wrong before. Not often, but it does happen.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:The Round 1 side will be what it is, but, heading into the Finals in 2017, I would like to see the following side having consolidated on performances:-

Gilbert Goddard White
Riewoldt Armitage Acres
Billings Bruce Weller
Freeman McCartin Membrey
Hickey Dunstan Steven

i reckon you can scratch that back three, possibly gilbert remains. geary is a certainty. brown likely if fit, and dempster also more likely than goddard or white. freeman? we'll see - stevens i'd have ahead. but at least you have Dunstan - can't understand those that don't see his importance.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "