Who gets in

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Re: Who gets in

Seems weird to me that McCartin can get a game mainly on potential but not others like Acres who has probably shown more so far.

The more games we get into Paddy, Acres, Billings & Gresham the better… Blake seems to take the brunt when the whole side performs poorly IMO.

stkfc1
Club Player

dragit wrote:Seems weird to me that McCartin can get a game mainly on potential but not others like Acres who has probably shown more so far.

The more games we get into Paddy, Acres, Billings & Gresham the better… Blake seems to take the brunt when the whole side performs poorly IMO.
Got a feeling its more about Acres attitude than ability. You dont sign someone for 5 years if you think they're no good but I belive the coaching staff are trying to give him some tough love to help him break his 'laconic'nature. A kick up the bum, if you will. He'll be right. Good player.

longtimesaint
Club Player

borderbarry wrote:I am not knocking Paddy as much as trying to make a case for Josh. Five goals at 18 in his first turn out for the club is pretty good. I would like to see how many others hve managed it at 18.
If Battle does not get run this week,I would suggest the club are either keeping him under wraps for round One, (unlikely) or frightened he might embarass them by outscoring Paddy again.
He may get a chance this week where we have 8 on the bench but we need to keep some perspective.
An intra club practice match is a long way from AFL.
He needs to perform at a high level for Sandy before any chance of an AFL match.
He is 18 and still at school so he will get his chance when he is ready.

One year will be our year
Jacks Back
Saintsational Legend

stkfc1 wrote:
dragit wrote:Seems weird to me that McCartin can get a game mainly on potential but not others like Acres who has probably shown more so far.

Got a feeling its more about Acres attitude than ability. You dont sign someone for 5 years if you think they're no good but I belive the coaching staff are trying to give him some tough love to help him break his 'laconic'nature. A kick up the bum, if you will. He'll be right. Good player.
It may be okay to get a kick up the bum every now and then but too many kicks in the same clacker does not make a happy footballer. Don't play funny buggers, Richo, we don't want to lose a player that could be our very own Fyfe, Martin, et al.

As ex-president Peter Summers said:
“If we are going to be a contender, we may as well plan to win the bloody thing.”

St Kilda - At least we have a Crest!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Tend to agree re Paddy he is being gifted games on potential. He hasnt ever done enough or hit the score board enough to secure a spot. Im sure he will repay the club and so will Blake when he gets a run at it?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I am sure that Paddy will eventually make it. I am a diabetic so I can synthesize with him, but to date I am disappointed with his results. On several occasions he has kicked a couple of goals early in a game, and I have expected him to kick a bag, but he has'nt goaled again in the game.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Paddy has played 17 games. Still wet behind the ears.

kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:I am sure that Paddy will eventually make it. I am a diabetic so I can synthesize with him, but to date I am disappointed with his results. On several occasions he has kicked a couple of goals early in a game, and I have expected him to kick a bag, but he has'nt goaled again in the game.
He usually goes off injured after two goals.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
Gershwin
Club Player

Impatient Sainter wrote:

Tend to agree re Paddy he is being gifted games on potential. He hasnt ever done enough or hit the score board enough to secure a spot. Im sure he will repay the club and so will Blake when he gets a run at it?
Often it is not just how the individual performs on a personal basis but how he fits in to the whole forward line set-up. I don't care how many he kicks as long as his performance allows the team to kick a winning score. Its a team game.

summertime and the living is easy ........
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

I get the feeling that Acres is not one of the coach's favourites. A sort of Gomer Pyle to AR's Sgt. Carter.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!