Emma Quayle. Another miss!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Emma Quayle. Another miss!

Can't believe it's taken this long, but Quayle from the Age, an absolute guru re draft prospects, has been hired by GWS as a recruiter.

I would've been stoked had we nabbed her.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: Emma Quayle. Another miss!

Hope she can still write for the Age. Her insight into the draft is awesome!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Writing about the draft is a lot easier than it looks. Putting your professional reputation on the line when you have to make actual choices is a very different game. Critics versus doers. I'm glad she's taking an actual job where her so called skills will be tested, rather than being able to sit back, pinch everyone else's IP and have no responsibility when you get it wrong, which she did more than you would think. Just another journo. We'll see how good she is after a few years. BTW are you sure it's for the men's team? It's for the AFLW isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Gershwin
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Writing about the draft is a lot easier than it looks. Putting your professional reputation on the line when you have to make actual choices is a very different game. Critics versus doers. I'm glad she's taking an actual job where her so called skills will be tested, rather than being able to sit back, pinch everyone else's IP and have no responsibility when you get it wrong, which she did more than you would think. Just another journo. We'll see how good she is after a few years. BTW are you sure it's for the men's team? It's for the AFLW isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
- it's for GWS AFL.

summertime and the living is easy ........
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Thank you. Full or part time? Joins the other recruiting legend at GWS, Tom Scully's dad.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:Writing about the draft is a lot easier than it looks. Putting your professional reputation on the line when you have to make actual choices is a very different game. Critics versus doers. I'm glad she's taking an actual job where her so called skills will be tested, rather than being able to sit back, pinch everyone else's IP and have no responsibility when you get it wrong, which she did more than you would think. Just another journo. We'll see how good she is after a few years. BTW are you sure it's for the men's team? It's for the AFLW isn't it? Correct me if I'm wrong, please.
You really don't rate her do you? Personally I think you are quite harsh on her. To me she has proven her knowledge and wish her all the best (well not all the best, hopefully she makes mistakes that we can take advantage of).

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

Sounds like an appointment of "women in AFL", the AFL is pushing this angle hard.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
shrodes
SS Life Member

IanRush wrote:Sounds like an appointment of "women in AFL", the AFL is pushing this angle hard.
You do know that women can get jobs off the back of their own hard work and talent, right?

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

shrodes wrote:
IanRush wrote:Sounds like an appointment of "women in AFL", the AFL is pushing this angle hard.
You do know that women can get jobs off the back of their own hard work and talent, right?
I don't object to any man, woman, cat, dog doing better for themselves. As Barassi said "If it's meant to be, it's up to me".

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

IluvHarvey wrote:
You really don't rate her do you? Personally I think you are quite harsh on her. To me she has proven her knowledge and wish her all the best (well not all the best, hopefully she makes mistakes that we can take advantage of).
I don't overrate her, as most others do. To me, she's an average journo, who has created a niche around the draft and good luck to her for that. As for her knowledge, I'd suggest it's no greater than any other avid draft watcher, or football journalist. There's way more to recruiting than being able to spot a talented footballer. That's the easy bit. The devil is in the detail. I'd suggest she is an observer, like so many others. I'm sure she spends a lot of time talking to recruiters and therefore must have formed a good network, but if the GWS thinks it is getting an "expert", they might be in for a surprise. If she's going to do it full time, then she can learn on the job and it might work out. If she does it part time while still working as a full time journo, then they're wasting her time and theirs. It's a tough new game. You only need to see how much our recruiting has improved with the appointment of a team of full timers, run by people with vast amounts of experience. Personally, I'm glad. We need the GWS to slip up. There is a touch of the current flavour of affirmative action about this. I could name a dozen people off the top of my head who are more experienced and expert than Emma. If you think I'm being sexist, a few of those are women, who are proper experts in the fields of behaviour, personality, motivation and performance. They also know their footy. It's no biggie. Glad it's them and not us.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Forgot my analogy. Would Laurie Oakes or Michelle Grattan make a great P.M? I doubt it, but they are very good at writing about the subject.

IluvHarvey
SS Life Member

White Winmar wrote:
IluvHarvey wrote:
I don't overrate her, as most others do. To me, she's an average journo, who has created a niche around the draft and good luck to her for that. As for her knowledge, I'd suggest it's no greater than any other avid draft watcher, or football journalist. There's way more to recruiting than being able to spot a talented footballer. That's the easy bit. The devil is in the detail. I'd suggest she is an observer, like so many others. I'm sure she spends a lot of time talking to recruiters and therefore must have formed a good network, but if the GWS thinks it is getting an "expert", they might be in for a surprise. If she's going to do it full time, then she can learn on the job and it might work out. If she does it part time while still working as a full time journo, then they're wasting her time and theirs. It's a tough new game. You only need to see how much our recruiting has improved with the appointment of a team of full timers, run by people with vast amounts of experience. Personally, I'm glad. We need the GWS to slip up. There is a touch of the current flavour of affirmative action about this. I could name a dozen people off the top of my head who are more experienced and expert than Emma. If you think I'm being sexist, a few of those are women, who are proper experts in the fields of behaviour, personality, motivation and performance. They also know their footy. It's no biggie. Glad it's them and not us.
Just for the record at no stage do I think you were being sexist. My reply was actually triggered by your statement "Just another journo". I have always thought she provided great insight but that is just my opinion. Personally I couldn't care less if she is male or female. I have a stance of as long as the right person for the job is in there, I don't care about sex, ethnicity, religion, sexual preference anything else. However, in saying that it is good to see that the greater football world is starting to take Females more seriously.

"It only ends once. Anything that happens before that is just progress."
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

She knows her stuff

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

So Emma flew all over the country, watched all the TAC games etc and her got her information first hand which she then reported on?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

BigMart wrote:She knows her stuff
She does know her stuff, guaranteed

The_Merchant
Club Player

IanRush wrote:
shrodes wrote:
I don't object to any man, woman, cat, dog doing better for themselves. As Barassi said "If it's meant to be, it's up to me".
But you obviously do object to a woman getting an afl job. What about this appointment "sounds like an appointment of women in afl" other than the fact she is a woman. That is as blatently sexist a comment as you will ever see. There is nothing about her appointment that indicates it is because she is female. It is ok to think she is just another journo, or think she knows just as much as the next draft watcher, but what you said is a crap, sexist comment, and if you can't see that, then you have a problem.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

The_Merchant wrote:
IanRush wrote:
shrodes wrote:
But you obviously do object to a woman getting an afl job. What about this appointment "sounds like an appointment of women in afl" other than the fact she is a woman. That is as blatently sexist a comment as you will ever see. There is nothing about her appointment that indicates it is because she is female. It is ok to think she is just another journo, or think she knows just as much as the next draft watcher, but what you said is a crap, sexist comment, and if you can't see that, then you have a problem.
You're making sh.it up. Much like you did farq all to help us in the Essendon case. I've no time for your crap. Goodnight.

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

Settle down! Ian didn't "object" rather he pointed out that HQ has made it a strategic direction over the past 3-5 years to bring more women into the game at all levels and encouraged clubs to do the same on the basis that it would improve their culture and better service and reflect their membership community. Having said that bit - Emma will bring great skills to the recruitment department in her journalistic talent to investigate, research, interview, analyse and report on potential draftees, their history, their families, their personality, their ability to integrate into communities like school and their sporting clubs. Then she will have just as valid of a subjective opinion regarding on field performance. As a group the recruiting department would assess all of these elements as well as hard data from games and draft combine to decide their drafting order. Emma can and will play a very valuable role in the process and decisions. Soon most recruiting departments will seek out similar skill sets from other journalists or research based professions. Unless the AFL caps footy department spends. Which it should.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Agree BFUSA re the holistic approach to recruitment. It's vital, given you are taking an 18 year old and potentially moving them interstate or to another part of Melbourne.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.