JARRYN GEARY NEW SAINTS SKIPPER

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St Lenny
Club Player

Confirmed Gears our new Captain :)

Great new, so happy.

coopergrech
Club Player

JARRYN GEARY NEW SAINTS SKIPPER

Our new captain JARRYN GEARY!

Led by Gears, then followed by Newnes,Weller,Steven,Armo,Robbo,Brucey & Ross.

Rooey, Joey & Dempster opted to stay out of the leadership group, Gilbo also asked to not be voted either.

St Loxton
Club Player

Re: JARRYN GEARY NEW SAINTS SKIPPER

Congratulations Jarryd, best of luck in your new role.
We may just see an even better footballer in Jarryn Geary.
Some blokes can elevate themselves in such a role.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I hope he rises to the occasion. Could be a master stroke.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

magnifisaint wrote:I hope he rises to the occasion. Could be a master stroke.
I can't see how he can't become the type of captain Nick Maxwell was for Collingwood.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
coopergrech
Club Player

Re: Confirmed Gears our new Captain :)

St Lenny wrote:Great new, so happy.

Are you a modder? I made this post, and says now i didn't make it???

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

coopergrech wrote:

No...but it looks like two posters created the same thread topic at 11.47PM and so a mod probably just merged hem.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Who is the Vice Captain?

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

magnifisaint wrote:Who is the Vice Captain?
I don't think they're having one... the rest of the leadership group are basically the Vice Captain.

stonecold
SS Life Member

As predicted by StoneCold last season, as with Dusty, but people just laughed and took the Piss!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
St Lenny
Club Player

saintsRrising wrote:
coopergrech wrote:

No...but it looks like two posters created the same thread topic at 11.47PM and so a mod probably just merged hem.

Its weird, I posted this last night when there was nothing on here about Gears being the new Captain but there is nothing from me there now. Anyway, doesn't matter.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

From another thread a while ago, i think it was pretty obvious though?!

To the top

I don't pick the captain but I am pretty certain Jarryn Geary will be appointed because he is the best 'leader' outside of Roo

Personally I like Armo because he's a warrior... But is too much of a lad and mucks around a lot
Steven is very shy, just lets his footy do the talking
Mav is a bit of a Goddard, a bit about him and is very demanding. He is also sill a bit in and out of games
Newnes is not established enough as a leader yet

Really
Roo should have kept it, but didn't want to

Bruce, Ross and Roberton are also very promising leaders

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

First off, big congrats to Jarryn. From rookie, to maligned player, to holding his place in the team, to b&f top 5, to skipper - what a rise. Like a weed you can't kill that takes over your garden and you go "eh maybe its ok looking actually"

STRENGTHS
- Presents well, speaks well, sense of humour. I like the idea of a skipper a little less intense that Rooey. I think its good to have a captain who can lighten things up over a long grinding season and create a good atmosphere where players want to be. You can burn players out being too intense over the season
- Seems good at really connecting with all ages including the young players. This young generation you can't just bark orders at, you've got to take the time to explain why you do things and take them on the journey with you. Gears seems a natural at that with his personable approach
- Sets a strong trademark for effort, team-first approach, courage, never say die approach, getting the most out of yourself with training and prep
- Shows it don't matter where you are drafted, but how you develop
- Locked himself into the team last year elevating his game as lock down backmen on the smalls but versatile enough to provide some cover defence in the air as well and stretch forwards with his running
- Has got a great ground in leadership from Roo, Joey, DEmps, Fish, Gilbo, Lenny - they set a high bar for 'Saints Footy' and Gears can pass that standard on to the next-gen

WEAKNESSES/WORRIES
- As a guy who probably needs to really focus himself to play at a high level particularly with disposal, does the weight and duties of captaincy risk lowering his output on the field and he gets sloppy
- Does he represent a trademark of earnest effort over skill - are we not valuing good kicking properly
- If his performance does drop off and we have some poor kicking guys in the back half making us clunky back there, very hard not to play him. Lots of pressure on Demps and Brown to show they are ok with the footy and off the deck as Geary won't be the guy cut if we are stodgy back there.
- Bit of larrakin - can be good, but also has to maybe pull back on that a bit

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

St Lenny wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
coopergrech wrote:

Its weird, I posted this last night when there was nothing on here about Gears being the new Captain but there is nothing from me there now. Anyway, doesn't matter.
St.Lenny, Coopergrech, apologies for not PM'ing you both. Usually do when merging threads, but didn't in this case. Yep I merged the two threads you both started at exactly the same time so as to not have two threads on exactly the same topic on the board.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Congrats to Gears.

Up until 12 months ago I was one who thought he wasn't quite up to afl standard. His 2016 was outstanding and he certainly improved those areas that needed attention. I don't think he got beaten once in 2016. Hats off to him.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy,

What makes you think Jarryn is less intense than Roo?

Jarryn (and Maverick) are extremely intense people who would be the players who challenge the most. He has a hard edge to his footy, has a style of communication that can be very pointed and doesnt mince words or suffer fools. On the track he does not muck around, which is why he is the player he is and why he is in the position he is in now.

Roo, is now the best leader in the AFL. Because he is an elder statesman, who is basically revered. When he speaks, others listen. He earned the right to pretty much ask/or question whatever or whoever... given his standing. Like Ricky Ponting, when you play under a legend with that sort of intelligence and understanding of the game and what's required... you just do as he says and do it without hesitation.

I see no problem with leaders being demanding and competitive, and not mincing words. I dont necessarily agree with the "friendly/ supportive' leaders who molly coddle grown men. This is a brutal industry, played out on a public battlefield. There is nowhere to hide, and if you perform poorly and cant cope with the critisism or scrutiny from leadership, I would question the ability to get it done under extreme pressure.

Players need a hard edge, so teams have a hard edge... therefore leaders must have a hard edge.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Oh, and Geary is far from a Larrikan

He is as straight as an arrow

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

And this notion that his position maybe under question?

150 games, Runner Up B&F, generally in the top 6 at the end of the year since 2012 (injury aside), Robert Harvey award, Lenny Hayes award in successive years.

He is the most dedicated trainer at the club, and has been for years... he sets example.

I'm guessing he's pretty safe for now in the best 18... Actually he is in the best 5 imo

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Oh, and Geary is far from a Larrikan

He is as straight as an arrow

Nah, no sense of humour there (and spooky about the captaincy crack!). In the NZ training vids he was throwing peebles at guys being interviewed, doing something funny sleeping on the bus, I'm sure I've heard Richo say he's a bit of prankster. And that is not a bad thing at all. I like that 'good ole country boy' attitude that keeps things in perspective and can relax and enjoy life.

He's obviously very driven and has that intense side. The best captains like Voss are very authoritative and demanding but they also have a side to them that is really relatable and lets them form close bonds with their players. So when they confront players its coming from a place the player can accept. If I had a criticism of Roo is that he seemed to have a bit of stick up his ass coming down from on high about things - including arm waving when he wasn't delivered the ball to perfection. Lets be honest Roo came across as having that Germanic lack of humour.

Maybe under Lyon too who is notoriously intense he burned players out and wasn't able to go into that relax mode to regroup your energies and pace yourself. We were the best team in 2009 but we possibly peaked early while Geelong timed their peak better by being less intense early. And perhaps Pies pre-planned little club celebration giving them some social down time after the first grand final let them regroup their energy than our players trying to stay at a laser like focus for a second week in a row that was too exhausting.

Yes you need edge, but you need to tap into players human side as well. We humans are not robots able to sustain incredible tension forever. We gotta let our hair down and let off steam and be young blokes having some fun and just being normal. Otherwise the tension pops out by burning dwarfs. I think Jarryn will be good at this balance - driving high standards and professionalism but not being a perfectionist or fun police.

And no respect to Gears, but being in our top b&f since 2012 says a hella lot about our complete lack of players in their prime in that 23-28 y.o bracket. He was one of the few with the genuine AFL level tank and experience after our big clean out and vets leaving. And coaches and players love hard trainers and team first guys which is a lot of b&f's are about - setting trademarks. His kicking isn't great - he rarely takes any penetrating kicks anymore. IF he can compensate for that with other aspects of his game like he did last year - then he keeps his spot no probs. But there is a lot of talented kids coming up who can kick damn well and at some point they might not be happy with guys who can't deliver out of the back.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/from-ro ... f79b1b16ba
IN many ways, Geary is the connector in St Kilda’s playing group.

He is mates with both the older brigade and younger players. At a time when the Saints’ list was void of quality in his age bracket, it was Geary’s presence that helped unite the group.

His two best mates at the club are said to be Jack Billings (21 years old from Scotch College) and Jack Steven (26 years old from just past Lorne), which says it all.

And then there is Geary the pest, which is a trait that remains a key component of his persona.

“He has always had a pretty infectious laugh,” Hayes said.

“He has always been a little bit of a pest too. I think that was pretty clear early. Once he felt like he was fitting into the group within maybe six to 12 months, we started to see that side of him a bit more.

“I think he probably played second fiddle to ‘Milney’ (Stephen Milne) early. Later in his career he probably eclipsed Milney.”
Lenny and Farren chat about Gears

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:http://www.foxsports.com.au/afl/from-ro ... f79b1b16ba
IN many ways, Geary is the connector in St Kilda’s playing group.

He is mates with both the older brigade and younger players. At a time when the Saints’ list was void of quality in his age bracket, it was Geary’s presence that helped unite the group.

His two best mates at the club are said to be Jack Billings (21 years old from Scotch College) and Jack Steven (26 years old from just past Lorne), which says it all.

And then there is Geary the pest, which is a trait that remains a key component of his persona.

“He has always had a pretty infectious laugh,” Hayes said.

“He has always been a little bit of a pest too. I think that was pretty clear early. Once he felt like he was fitting into the group within maybe six to 12 months, we started to see that side of him a bit more.

“I think he probably played second fiddle to ‘Milney’ (Stephen Milne) early. Later in his career he probably eclipsed Milney.”
Lenny and Farren chat about Gears
Nice one Bratty. You look at a lot of the really good skippers - Voss, Brown, Hodge even Murphy for dogs despite not playing - there is a real rascal, playful side to them that acts like a lightening agent during the tough grind of a long season. Even Harley and Maxwell had that to some degree. You gotta be able to switch off and chill. Don't underestimate how important that is to Geary's place in the team and rise to the top. Team happiness and dynamics plays a huge role. One of the reasons they stated for going for Paddy over Petrecca was that players would love to be around at the club with this gregarious huge gap toothed lad from the coast. You get the team chemistry right, its amazing where it can take you *cough* dogs *cough*. Didn't they seem a really happy, unified group?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Pest = Larrikan now

Pest off the field, maybe? Who cares

Not sure he's playing little practical jokes in meetings, whilst training, whist in the gym, whilst playing... that's the part I'm interested in, is he challenging team mates, is he setting the example, is he focused on the task at hand.

Whether he's annoying or not in the locker room is really incident

All of those leaders set example on field, that's why they are great leaders.

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

Jarryn will be an excellent captain. We are in good hands.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
the dome
Club Player

W E L L D O N E J A R R Y N G E A R Y

Congratulations on becoming the new Captain of our Saintly team Jarryn.
Wishing you all the best for 2017.

Looking forward to you notching up 22 games ' + '

loris
Saintsational Legend

Maybe it's an omen The Gears carries Allan Jeans #14 !!!!!!!! Just maybe..........