AFLW first game - Carlton V Collingwood

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

L.A. Saint
Club Player

Re: AFLW first game - Carlton V Collingwood

Commenting from far away, but I think this is a step in the right direction for the game.
Seeing the lack of women's sport in the US apart from USW Soccer, WNBA and Lingerie Football (of the big 4 sports) it is great that the AFL is making a move.
It had to start somewhere and although the skills are still not up to AFL standards (no other comp is) we need to give it time.
These girls had all of 2 months to train and acclimatise to a semi-pro environment, when most had previously just played at a social level, like most of us blokes.
It is going to take time and like most I hope the initial 'hype' does not die so much that it goes under completely.
These girls are the best of the best for their gender. Embrace them and enjoy the fact they are going in hard, doing their best and putting on a show that is enjoyable.
It is not AFL and never will be but the lower levels are not either but we all still watch in some form.
When the competition becomes more professional we will all see the fruits.
If you have ever coached junior footy you will know what I am talking about.
Put guys in a more professional environment (like representative footy) you will see the talent shine.
I for one could not be more excited, if my daughter ever made the grade I think I would be just as proud as my son doing the same.
Understand where it is and where it is going. Think of footy 100 years ago. It was not as good or skilled as today. Everything has to start somewhere.

I think like A-League playing in the 'off-season', an early start to the year and then possibly curtain raiser game will keep the momentum alive. Then the depth comes through (give it a season or 2) we will see a Saints team play and hopefully a couple of curtain raisers will follow.
Just think how much this season will benefit women's comps at grass roots.
To quote a great friend of mine..."Who would've thought, when sitting on the hill at Ferndale Park drinking beer & watching the Deakin Devils back in 2000, that women would be playing in the AFL on such a huge stage today... Go girls!" 8 years ago I was sitting with mates watching our female friends slog it out, skills were terrible but the effort was there and it was fun to watch.

Sorry for the long rant...2 hours of free drinks at the hotel for a conference will do that to you. : )

Go Saints 2017!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Beautifully put, L.A Saint. Give it time. I note how rapidly the standard and spectacle of women's cricket has improved in a short period of time. Full time professionalism is the only way to get rapid improvement. Netball is partial proof of that as well. A good show, that people want to watch. They'll get there, but while we're paying people 5k for a part time job, we'll get, well.....what we pay for. Anyone who expects the standard to be great without the training input of a modern professional environment is kidding themselves. If the revenue is there, reduce lists, get the women to go full time linked to an AFL environment and watch them go. What was served up on the weekend didn't do anyone much justice. Still, it's very early days.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Agree with all that L.A. Saint. I appreciate they have to start somewhere. I do find it a bit disappointing though that many of these women did not grow up playing the game, therefore they are not honing their skills at all - they are beginning them. I know for a fact that many many players were poached from rival sports (nothing wrong with that) however most of these women had never played footy in their life. We are paying women $5000 for pretty much 'having a go' It's hard enough as it is for women to get paid in their chosen sport, let alone blow ins who have never played the sport before.

It's laughable that the AFL is thinking of expanding the league and handing out more licences next year. Apparently next year's draft will incude alot of women who have played the sport from a young age. THAT'S the target audience. If women want to play the game, Great - go and play in the local leagues until your skills are good enough. They shouldn't just be drafted in from another sport and introduced to a footy. It devalues the competition. Like I said earlier, there are actually some genuinely good footballers amongst these women, just not enough to sustain a high quality comp. Once the men's practice matches start up I can see a huge drop off in interest. At the very least they need to not hand out more licences for 3 years. And I think once they do, the licences will end up going to Port and West coast to build up local rivalries. Those hoping that Saints will get a licence I reckon are kidding themselves.

Gershwin
Club Player

Moods wrote:Agree with all that L.A. Saint. I appreciate they have to start somewhere. I do find it a bit disappointing though that many of these women did not grow up playing the game, therefore they are not honing their skills at all - they are beginning them. I know for a fact that many many players were poached from rival sports (nothing wrong with that) however most of these women had never played footy in their life. We are paying women $5000 for pretty much 'having a go' It's hard enough as it is for women to get paid in their chosen sport, let alone blow ins who have never played the sport before.

It's laughable that the AFL is thinking of expanding the league and handing out more licences next year. Apparently next year's draft will incude alot of women who have played the sport from a young age. THAT'S the target audience. If women want to play the game, Great - go and play in the local leagues until your skills are good enough. They shouldn't just be drafted in from another sport and introduced to a footy. It devalues the competition. Like I said earlier, there are actually some genuinely good footballers amongst these women, just not enough to sustain a high quality comp. Once the men's practice matches start up I can see a huge drop off in interest. At the very least they need to not hand out more licences for 3 years. And I think once they do, the licences will end up going to Port and West coast to build up local rivalries. Those hoping that Saints will get a licence I reckon are kidding themselves.
"many of these women did not grow up playing the game" And we have Jason Holmes and 2 Irish guys and some Kiwis on our mens list! Don't know why you find it such a problem with the women.

summertime and the living is easy ........
Moods
Saintsational Legend

Gershwin wrote:
Moods wrote:Agree with all that L.A. Saint. I appreciate they have to start somewhere. I do find it a bit disappointing though that many of these women did not grow up playing the game, therefore they are not honing their skills at all - they are beginning them. I know for a fact that many many players were poached from rival sports (nothing wrong with that) however most of these women had never played footy in their life. We are paying women $5000 for pretty much 'having a go' It's hard enough as it is for women to get paid in their chosen sport, let alone blow ins who have never played the sport before.

"many of these women did not grow up playing the game" And we have Jason Holmes and 2 Irish guys and some Kiwis on our mens list! Don't know why you find it such a problem with the women.

I think we all would (find it a problem) if half the list was like that. How many of those guys end up actually making it? They are an experiment that we hope will work, not a means to fill our list cos we can't find anyone else.

Gershwin
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Beautifully put, L.A Saint. Give it time. I note how rapidly the standard and spectacle of women's cricket has improved in a short period of time. Full time professionalism is the only way to get rapid improvement. Netball is partial proof of that as well. A good show, that people want to watch. They'll get there, but while we're paying people 5k for a part time job, we'll get, well.....what we pay for. Anyone who expects the standard to be great without the training input of a modern professional environment is kidding themselves. If the revenue is there, reduce lists, get the women to go full time linked to an AFL environment and watch them go. What was served up on the weekend didn't do anyone much justice. Still, it's very early days.
OK I understand that you didn't think the women's football deserved all the hype because it was of a poor standard and the lack of skill. The hype was because the AFL are very good at getting the media onside and it is actually a good news story. It brought smiles to a lot of peoples faces. It has a place in the AFL landscape but will never get as big as the men's game. The skill level will improve but the women will never kick as far, run as fast, jump as high etc. I think what was served up on the weekend did everyone concerned a huge amount of justice.

summertime and the living is easy ........
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

You've got to start somewhere, I suppose.

Premium89
Club Player

Gershwin wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Beautifully put, L.A Saint. Give it time. I note how rapidly the standard and spectacle of women's cricket has improved in a short period of time. Full time professionalism is the only way to get rapid improvement. Netball is partial proof of that as well. A good show, that people want to watch. They'll get there, but while we're paying people 5k for a part time job, we'll get, well.....what we pay for. Anyone who expects the standard to be great without the training input of a modern professional environment is kidding themselves. If the revenue is there, reduce lists, get the women to go full time linked to an AFL environment and watch them go. What was served up on the weekend didn't do anyone much justice. Still, it's very early days.
OK I understand that you didn't think the women's football deserved all the hype because it was of a poor standard and the lack of skill. The hype was because the AFL are very good at getting the media onside and it is actually a good news story. It brought smiles to a lot of peoples faces. It has a place in the AFL landscape but will never get as big as the men's game. The skill level will improve but the women will never kick as far, run as fast, jump as high etc. I think what was served up on the weekend did everyone concerned a huge amount of justice.
I'm With you Gershwin - I'm happy cos footys back, my wife was super stoked to see the girls running around - to be fair I don't think most of the fellas are really the target market.
Think of all the 13/14 year old girls now, who love sport - what sport are they going to want to sign up for this year??

And another thing, how long do you reckon the NRL will take to find the "balls" to get a women's comp going?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:All the fascists these days are on the left side of politics.
White Winmar wrote:And whiny little lefties who can't take an opinion that differs from their own. Let the name calling continue. You forgot to throw in the standard accusations of homophobia, misogyny, islamophobia, racist, Nazis, etc. Anyone who disagrees with you is all of these and more.
It's okay, Richard Spencer and Pepe the Frog will help protect your rights!

You can start yourselves an MRA sewing circle!!

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Typical response. Always resort to abuse first. That shows your maturity. No wonder you lost. What is a Trump fascist, anyway? And how do you make the association between myself and Trump? In your imagination only. I'm not a supporter of Trump and never have been. I am a believer in free speech, unlike lefty snowflakes who can't bear an opinion that disturbs their fragile belief systems. I think the big problem is left liberals have seen their safe spaces evaporate. There's nowhere left to retreat to and hug a rainbow shitting unicorn. Poor little things.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Typical response. Always resort to abuse first. That shows your maturity. No wonder you lost. What is a Trump fascist, anyway? And how do you make the association between myself and Trump? In your imagination only. I'm not a supporter of Trump and never have been. I am a believer in free speech, unlike lefty snowflakes who can't bear an opinion that disturbs their fragile belief systems. I think the big problem is left liberals have seen their safe spaces evaporate. There's nowhere left to retreat to and hug a rainbow shitting unicorn. Poor little things.
Lost what?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Oh, it must be in your imagination only. Good to know you have an imagination.

wally
Club Player

I'd prefer to see the money invested go back to the Victorian clubs that are struggling to make ends meet.
Look at all the money thrown at the nsw and qld clubs to get success.
The Bulldogs have shown winning gets more memberships & merchandise sales
Don't know if there is enough available talent to see any more teams added for a while.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Typical response. Always resort to abuse first. That shows your maturity. No wonder you lost. What is a Trump fascist, anyway? And how do you make the association between myself and Trump? In your imagination only. I'm not a supporter of Trump and never have been. I am a believer in free speech, unlike lefty snowflakes who can't bear an opinion that disturbs their fragile belief systems. I think the big problem is left liberals have seen their safe spaces evaporate. There's nowhere left to retreat to and hug a rainbow shitting unicorn. Poor little things.
Lost what?

I have no idea what you are talking about. Oh, it must be in your imagination only. Good to know you have an imagination.
I don't know why, but you seem keen for a scrap. Don't know what you lost? Please don't pretend you are so unintelligent and naive you don't know what I'm talking about. You Still didn't explain what a Trump fascist is and what evidence you have I'm somehow linked to him. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then you are either disingenuous, or incapable of having an honest and robust discussion that challenges your views. I suspect it is a bit of both. And I said it was in your imagination, not mine. Apparently I don't have an imagination, especially according to the snowflakes. It's because I can't imagine safe spaces filled with rainbow shitting unicorns, where all men are rapists and violent and where the liberal leftards can do no wrong. Except when it comes to losing and never changing anything with their incessant whining. Clear enough?

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Lost what?

I don't know why, but you seem keen for a scrap. Don't know what you lost? Please don't pretend you are so unintelligent and naive you don't know what I'm talking about. You Still didn't explain what a Trump fascist is and what evidence you have I'm somehow linked to him. If you have no idea what I'm talking about then you are either disingenuous, or incapable of having an honest and robust discussion that challenges your views. I suspect it is a bit of both. And I said it was in your imagination, not mine. Apparently I don't have an imagination, especially according to the snowflakes. It's because I can't imagine safe spaces filled with rainbow shitting unicorns, where all men are rapists and violent and where the liberal leftards can do no wrong. Except when it comes to losing and never changing anything with their incessant whining. Clear enough?
I never made any mention of a Trump fascist. I think you have confused me with someone else.

Mind you, when someone starts spouting off this type of hyperbole, it may well indicate they have a leaning towards Trumpism:
White Winmar wrote:Part of his bulls*** Marxist agenda. SSP, RR, feminisation of the police force. Men are the basis of all violence and problems in society. That is his official narrative. Marxist idiot. Friend and sponsor of Roz Dawes. Need I say more. Interestingly he is considered a bully by his female staff. A two-faced, incompetent Union buffoon.
Just, wow! I've read a lot of dumb things over the years on this forum, but this may well take the cake!!!

freely
SS Hall of Fame

Don't underestimate the difference this new competition makes to girls and young women around the country who at last get to see women being valued for their strength, courage, tenacity, speed, agility, etc., etc - who realise when they look at these AFLW women that they don't need to take s*** from anybody. It's a big thing in itself for most women to realise that they can take some knocks and still come back out fighting. The atmosphere at this game was electric. The skills will come - they're not the only thing to take away from this by a long shot.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:Do they sledge each other?
Don't seem to, something that the men could emulate.

More than any other move, this will consolidate Aussie Rules as the National game. It's the knock on effect that's
going to do that. More families will watch football both women's and men's. It will also add to attendances at AFL matches. If we are not already, we should be agitating for a licence as a matter of urgency. Ditch poker machines and cash in on local football which brings more families to the AFL.

Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

I think a stand alone VFL team should be our priority, don't know if that will ever happen now, as that would serve our Premiership aspirations.

I don't give a toss about fielding a team in a crap, sub standard competition. Let's be honest, you'd see a higher standard of footy watching your local Under 15 team.

I believe in merit, meaning that I expect to see elite sport on television, not athletes whom are inferior footballers than I. Even though I'm in my 50's and have never played the game in a real team/competition, I would have kicked a lazy 10 in that rabble without trying.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
Sainternist wrote:
Lost what?

I never made any mention of a Trump fascist. I think you have confused me with someone else.

Mind you, when someone starts spouting off this type of hyperbole, it may well indicate they have a leaning towards Trumpism:
White Winmar wrote:Part of his bulls*** Marxist agenda. SSP, RR, feminisation of the police force. Men are the basis of all violence and problems in society. That is his official narrative. Marxist idiot. Friend and sponsor of Roz Dawes. Need I say more. Interestingly he is considered a bully by his female staff. A two-faced, incompetent Union buffoon.
Just, wow! I've read a lot of dumb things over the years on this forum, but this may well take the cake!!!
Just another empty, personal attack. Having a bad day, or just got nothing left to argue about because you've been owned. Check out how Dan's policies have affected law and order, how his misandrist programs demonise young men and how his misogyny
Has affected his female staff who disagree with him. Clutching at straws now, aren't you? Of course you're entitled to your opinion. I take your criticism as an endorsement. Back to your safe space my little snowflake.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Sainternist wrote:
saynta wrote:All the fascists these days are on the left side of politics.
White Winmar wrote:And whiny little lefties who can't take an opinion that differs from their own. Let the name calling continue. You forgot to throw in the standard accusations of homophobia, misogyny, islamophobia, racist, Nazis, etc. Anyone who disagrees with you is all of these and more.
It's okay, Richard Spencer and Pepe the Frog will help protect your rights!

You can start yourselves an MRA sewing circle!!
References to right wing horse s***, Pepe the Frog and Richard Spencer. Not invoking Trump there, my little snowflake? :D

Moods
Saintsational Legend

I still don't get how you have made the connection between the AFL introducing a league for women and Dan Andrew's policies? Are you saying that Dan Andrews is pulling all the strings in the AFL??? Did the AFL only come up with the concept of a Women's League in the last 18 months after Dan was elected? I don't think so.

It appears you were just chomping at the bit to have a political debate and it was YOU who was scrapping for a fight. If I was to say you were full of s*** re his staff as I know someone extremely well connected in the govt, you would say bulls*** and this pointless argument would continue. For the record I don't consider myself a 'leftard' nor a supporter of the right. Beats me why a football forum needs to turn political unless it directly involves the govt in some way?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

sigh
:idea:

Seeya
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I still don't get how you have made the connection between the AFL introducing a league for women and Dan Andrew's policies? Are you saying that Dan Andrews is pulling all the strings in the AFL??? Did the AFL only come up with the concept of a Women's League in the last 18 months after Dan was elected? I don't think so.

It appears you were just chomping at the bit to have a political debate and it was YOU who was scrapping for a fight. If I was to say you were full of s*** re his staff as I know someone extremely well connected in the govt, you would say bulls*** and this pointless argument would continue. For the record I don't consider myself a 'leftard' nor a supporter of the right. Beats me why a football forum needs to turn political unless it directly involves the govt in some way?
You know one person on his staff? Wow. That settles it. I know Lucinda Nolan well. Worked with her for years. Give her a call. She might change your mind. Then call Jane Garret and her supporters. Then ring the cabinet members who are ready to knife him after his disgraceful tantrum and demands for their mobile phones, then talk to the former CFA board members about his so called negotiation style. I think they may change your opinion based on one person's perception. I think I know who is full of s*** and has gone off half cocked. As for a political argument, if you're so bewildered by it, why pour petrol on the flames with personal abuse?I think the evidence is pretty clear you are a leftard because you act like one. Nothing to back your argument, just a vague reference to an unknown person and followed by predictable abuse. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, then...........

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:I still don't get how you have made the connection between the AFL introducing a league for women and Dan Andrew's policies? Are you saying that Dan Andrews is pulling all the strings in the AFL??? Did the AFL only come up with the concept of a Women's League in the last 18 months after Dan was elected? I don't think so.

You know one person on his staff? Wow. That settles it. I know Lucinda Nolan well. Worked with her for years. Give her a call. She might change your mind. Then call Jane Garret and her supporters. Then ring the cabinet members who are ready to knife him after his disgraceful tantrum and demands for their mobile phones, then talk to the former CFA board members about his so called negotiation style. I think they may change your opinion based on one person's perception. I think I know who is full of s*** and has gone off half cocked. As for a political argument, if you're so bewildered by it, why pour petrol on the flames with personal abuse?I think the evidence is pretty clear you are a leftard because you act like one. Nothing to back your argument, just a vague reference to an unknown person and followed by predictable abuse. If it looks like a duck, sounds like a duck, then...........

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I know a guy...

Moods
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:

Wow - that is a bizarre rant. I actually never said I did know anyone in the government, I just said IF I was to say I did. I may or may not. I'm certainly not interested in dropping names around if I did...... :roll:

The more you write the more unhinged you sound. I'm not sure how I seem like a 'leftard' other than asking you to justify how Dan Andrews policies has anything to do with the AFLW leagues (that is what this thread is about after all - women's footy) And for a bloke who was a former cop you seem very sensitive. What personal abuse are you referring to? How am I pouring petrol on it? YOU are the one ranting and raving about the state govt, I'm just trying to make sense as to what one thing has to do with the other.

There are some things I'm vehemently opposed to that the govt has brought in and some things I like what they have done. Not sure anyone is too interested in either as last I checked it's a footy forum....