Intra club - Thurs 16th 5 pm

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Re: Intra club - Thurs 16th 5 pm

tony74 wrote:No injuries.
Good
And no fights

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:
mullet wrote:
Goose is king wrote:I think 9 is jack Steele.
Jack Steven isn't playing
dont they mean kobi

Yes they did mean koby but I realised after and couldn't be bothered changing. Nonetheless 9 is Steele

Yep, but Stevens played in the no 9 jumper today.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Video of each quarter +interviews up online
http://m.saints.com.au/video/latest-video

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Tracked out to Sandy today and my observations below:

Dmac: very very good, silky and precise with his kicking playing off back flank
Hickey: (played for Sandy) he dominated around the ground and smashed Longer
Koby Stevens: played very well as the in and under player
3 Talls all looked very dangerous up forward
Carlisle: he's a fair monster and did some nice things, showed some aggression
Gresch: will be a star
Rice: did some nice things
Geary: played a more attacking half back role
Battle: has a Load of talent but needs a couple of years
Newnes and Savage both nice long kicks and used it well
Billings: looks quite slim, but disappointing, I was hoping he got a bit chunkier legs and a lower centre of gravity.. Hasn't

The saints really attacked the ball hard and U could tell a focus is the forward line pressure trying to compensate for the 3 talls.. Mav Weller, Lonie, Billings will be a key cog for this..

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Wow MS after watching the replays I thought Longer had the better of Hickey. Longer took some strong marks and I thought won the ruck battle but footy is a very subjective beast!

jaxons
Club Player

mightysainters wrote:Tracked out to Sandy today and my observations below:

Billings: looks quite slim, but disappointing, I was hoping he got a bit chunkier legs and a lower centre of gravity.. Hasn't

The saints really attacked the ball hard and U could tell a focus is the forward line pressure trying to compensate for the 3 talls.. Mav Weller, Lonie, Billings will be a key cog for this..

Amazing report MS, you got so much right but you are so wrong on Hickey and Billings.
Longer destroyed him today.
A fact acknowledged internally by coaching staff.
As for Billings, your very solid report comes completely unstuck if you thought his game was disappointing.
He was BOG for the 2nd week in a row, and his workrate, defensive efforts and silky skills have everyone very excited.

CarlTaughtMeEnglish
Club Player

Jaxons - are they thinking it might be Billy's turn this year or will we play both Hickey and Billy and rest one forward? I think the might have both missed set shots on goal today.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://m.afl.com.au/news/2017-02-16/ano ... -intraclub

As viewed by media- or reported by the club

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
kosifantutti
Saintsational Legend

CarlTaughtMeEnglish wrote:Jaxons - are they thinking it might be Billy's turn this year or will we play both Hickey and Billy and rest one forward? I think the might have both missed set shots on goal today.
I hope they're not going to throw out a year of Hickey killing it in the ruck based on the evidence of half a practice match.

I still thought Hickey was way better around the ground.

Macquarie Dictionary Word of the Year for 2023 "Kosi Lives"
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Longer for Shiel. Straight swap.

Come on Emma, make it happen.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

My obeservations ...

Longer v Hickey - Longer won the taps but Hickey slightly ahead around the ground but Longer much improved around the ground.

Pierce v Holmes - our back up ruckman. Pierce got opportunities forward and around the ground but missed them. Nerves?

Gilbert - outstanding game as a defender playing mostly on the high half forward and floating up to the wings. Work rate to run and support on the attack meant he instigated and participated in some excellent running from the backline. Positioning to support defensively to support teammates was fabulous. Won the ball when it was there to be won. Has worked very hard on his kicking and spearing passes will slice through and open up play, but like all players will miss a target but in this game his work by foot was a real weapon.

Billings - brilliant game - so smart with his positioning in space and use of the ball. Stand out play to me was when he got the ball half way between forward flank and pocket and rather continue momentum towards goal where space was closed down, he pivoted into space which he already knew existed behind him and then centred the ball into the corridor to a leading player. Shows elite awareness of space.

Armitage - hard, solid and aggressive and was running well over the ground. Everything you expect his to be. A warrior. Addition of Stevens and Steele will be fantastic for Armo and Dunstan.

Dunstan was solid and creative. Smart footballer. Team player. These are the types of players that make teams better. He will do anything to help the team win. Looks fit and shoulders survived a massive first quarter bump.

Newnes - well Captain Jack was superb. This guy is just CLASS. His ball use is very good and he now knows he belongs. I am hoping he can take another leap in his output this year because he has lready been very good for the past 2 years, but I think he will be A grade.

Seb Ross. The time and space master. Starting to look like he knows how to let the game move around him so that he can find the space he needs to do his work. This is a rare commodity. Doesn't have the moves of Banger Harvey or Gresham but more like the Carlton and Swans champ David Rhys Jones in the way he just has space and time and never looks quick in getting to a contest. Pure silk is Seb.

McCartin - heard SEN discuss 5 elite power forwards of the future and this guy didn't make their top 5. And they are experts! Well they are just plain wrong. This guy is going to be something special. Great judge of the footy in the air. Sacrifices to create space for his other forwards. Leads up strongly to the eyes when he can. The more he plays, the more he will prove them wrong. Just the type of forward we need to compliment Bruce and Membrey. To think we have Roo and Battle as tall options when injuries hit, means our list is deep and flexible.

Carlisle and Brown - need more time to fully assess. Neither set the world on fire but it is early days.

DMac - was brilliant off half back and really pushed up to wings with 50-80 metre plays.

Lonie - missed some opportunities he should have taken with marking and ground ball gathering.

Gresham on the other hand kept making something out of nothing.

#41 for Sandy I think was an unlisted player playing in the 2nd half - impressive player - who was that???

n a best 22 I would have Gresham playing small forward and add a midfield rotation. Billings, Weller and Gresham along with Membrey, McCartin and Bruce should be the starting 6 forward, so that players like Steven, Armitage, Acres etc can rest forward and not just on the bench because interchange numbers will come down to 60 then 40 in the next 5-10 years.

There are players who desrved a mention that I have forgotten. However I was most pleased with the hit out in windy conditions.

My big call - Montagna and Savage will have to work bloody hard to keep their spots - McKenzie, White, Webster, Rice are all going to start demanding games and from what I have heard Ben Long may also be an option down there as well as forward. Both can find spots in the 22 still IMHO (with their ability to play midfield and back) but based on what I have seen the future backline 2019+ will be well served by McKenzie, White and Rice if given decent development time this year and next. They will gel beautifully. Add Roberton, Carlisle and I hope Goddard and we have a strong back 6 of the future.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
shrodes
SS Life Member

Thanks BFU, good analysis. It was hard to spot who some of the players were on stream especially with the numbers wrong.

A few other points of discussion from the guests on stream:
- Hugh G tracking well, been training on his own a lot up til now but integrating with the main group next week. No ETA, tracking well and hopes to return in the next few months

- Gameplan - we will look to use the corridor more and get the ball in deeper to the forward line. Acknowledge corridor is risky play and players will be educated and it will be natural for them to always look for the option there but not take it if the risk outweighs the reward.

Beno88
SS Hall of Fame

Some good reports posted already. BackFromUSA probably covered it best.

There were plenty of positives to take away, no injuries is top of the list, closely followed by how impressive our depth is. Competition for spots should be fantastic this season.

Our forward options are among the best in the competition, the midfield bats deep and we have four ruckman capable of playing AFL level.

Gilbert was a clear standout in the back half, always looked and found the right option, whereas some of those around him kicked blindly under pressure too often. I'm sure this will improve over the pre season.

There's definitely plenty to work on, as you'd expect this time of year. Clean ball movement into the forward half is critical given the firepower we have up there. It's rare that our forwards will be beaten in the air so it's so important for guys like Lonie, Gresham, Weller, Sinclair, etc to make sure they get to the drop more often.

Ball movement in the midfield was great, particularly at ball ups, but on the flip side of that, too many tackles were easily broken in the middle. Again, that'll improve over the coming weeks.

All in all, there's plenty to be excited about, I didn't see anyone out there who looks like they've gone backwards over the off season.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

Good old Gilbo hey.

jaxons
Club Player

kosifantutti wrote:
CarlTaughtMeEnglish wrote:Jaxons - are they thinking it might be Billy's turn this year or will we play both Hickey and Billy and rest one forward? I think the might have both missed set shots on goal today.
I hope they're not going to throw out a year of Hickey killing it in the ruck based on the evidence of half a practice match.

I still thought Hickey was way better around the ground.

Our football department aren't stupid or that fickle, simple observation on yesterdays game was all that was stated.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Who played in the no 11 saints jumper?

SMS
Club Player

was ED PHILLIPS nu,mber 4 for sandy???
if so why aren't we talking about him?? he was good.

Battle will be a star. To baulk in traffic and kick truly as an 18yo in forst game??? hes kicking and hands and football brain is elite. WHAT A PICK UP!!

Wright will be starting 18.

Mackenzie too. And Gilbert has learnt to kick!!
Acres? Not sure on him yet. Don't think he'll be he star we all envisioned
and Dunstan [proved again why hes a gun and we should start getting excited about him.
Seb Ross will be AA in 2017

Good luck Melbourne LOL we are going to SMASH YOU!

ROUND 1
Gilbert Brown Geary
Roberton Carlisle Newnes
Billings Dunstan Reiwoldt
Weller Bruce Membrey
Wright McCartin Gresham

Hickey Steven Ross

Acres Stevens Montagna Savage

EMG: Armitage Dempster Webster

Our depth is ridiculous.

To the top
SS Life Member

The next step is to get Freeman and Goddard on the park and competing for spots.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

There was only one ruckman who took a mark on the forward line and goaled. Disappointed he and Pearce did'nt get a go against Longer and Hickey. Might have shown them up, especially with Holmesy's leap and Pearce's height.

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

I missed the beginning and the end, but my observations in the flesh:

* Lonie was trying too hard, but can't help but love him
* The general size of the players especially midfield looks awesome - real swagger and muscle about the fellas (notably Dunstan)
* Billings equals YES!
* DMac and Gresh showed real dexterity and awareness - really exciting and both looking physically terrific
* I noticed number 41 too and wondered who he was - looked a bit like a gun (does anyone know?)
* Even with all the talk Paddy is still seriously underrated
* Credit to Coughlan who won some decent battles
* Awesome to see Gilbo and Roberton playing their 'natural games'
* The five dollar VBs were hitting the spot, in the sun, surrounded by Saints fans, watching future champions, how good is this!
* All players handled somewhat windy conditions well, with a chip pass game plan. Generally speaking thought skills were good for this time of year
* When Seb has the ball, streaming through the middle, you feel it's in safe hands
* Steele - bigger than I thought, and Rice looks set to ramp it up
* Marshall loves a tackle and looks decent

Well done to the club. Top little match. Great effort with the video and commentary with guest speakers. And what a moment when little Roo kicked the leather in front of a glowing crowd.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

Paddy McCLUNK 'em!

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

jaxons wrote:

Amazing report MS, you got so much right but you are so wrong on Hickey and Billings.
As for Billings, your very solid report comes completely unstuck if you thought his game was disappointing.
He was BOG for the 2nd week in a row, and his workrate, defensive efforts and silky skills have everyone very excited.
Love your input Jaxons but I am still very much of the opinion Hickey towelled Longer..

In regards to billings I meant I was disappointed with his body shape.. His game was decent (although wouldn't say BOG) I've always had big wraps for Jackie B but I just don't think he is going to come on and be a superstar which is disappointing. He will be the cream and hopefully we can scoop up a couple of superstars in FA and the draft

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

I also forgot to mention.. Brown hopefully is purely depth.. He doesn't look up to it. Perhaps play when the right matchup presents

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

From what I saw in the interclub match, Battle should be playing Round 1, at the expence of Bruce or Membrey. And Jason just may have developed into our best ruckman.

prwilkinson
SS Hall of Fame

mightysainters wrote:
jaxons wrote:

Love your input Jaxons but I am still very much of the opinion Hickey towelled Longer..

In regards to billings I meant I was disappointed with his body shape.. His game was decent (although wouldn't say BOG) I've always had big wraps for Jackie B but I just don't think he is going to come on and be a superstar which is disappointing. He will be the cream and hopefully we can scoop up a couple of superstars in FA and the draft
Thought Billings was pretty solid. Seems to be playing a 'get the ball to him 'cause he can use it' type of role. Longer was good! Looks really fit. Thought all the rucks looked good at times. Holmesy looks like he's tried to get better around the ground.