Dusty Martin

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

Dusty Martin

Dusty is on the move according to many pundits, particularly tim watson below:
http://bit.ly/2ka8Vyv?cc=27584eb8c10cf4 ... 82db087532

We have been constantly linked to Dusty and at his best he is damaging and elite. What are your thoughts?

IMHO we are no chance at Fyfe and he will be staying which leaves
Dusty
Kelly
Shiel

We certainly have a war chest of money and pick and Any one of these three would improve us exponentially! Very exciting..

Interested to know out of the 3 or 4 (fyfe) rank them in order of who you would want.

#gosaintas
Club Player

Re: Dusty Martin

Fyfe then Kelly then Shiel and distant 4th is Dusty

longtimesaint
Club Player

#gosaintas wrote:Fyfe then Kelly then Shiel and distant 4th is Dusty
Shiel is about to sign an extension wih GWS

One year will be our year
dragit
Saintsational Legend

The only question is around his off field behavior IMO… his football ability is absolutely first rate.

I reckon hesitant saints fans would come around pretty quickly when he starts getting 35 touches, 2 goals and a few don't argues…

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

dragit wrote:The only question is around his off field behavior IMO… his football ability is absolutely first rate.

I reckon hesitant saints fans would come around pretty quickly when he starts getting 35 touches, 2 goals and a few don't argues…
We recruited a guy that filmed himself snorting a white powder.
The kid can play...he should be a target.

Playon
Club Player

AFL 2017: Josh Kelly to sign contract extension with GWS
Sam McClure
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/afl/afl ... u1gi0.html

Greater Western Sydney young gun Josh Kelly is set to ignore the lure of several Victorian clubs by signing a short-term contract extension with the Giants.

Kelly, who is out of contract at the end of the season, will soon put pen to paper on a new deal with the outright premiership favourites.

It's understood the deal is likely to be just two years, keeping him at GWS until the end of 2019.

The Giants and Kelly's management are comfortable with the length of the deal.

For Kelly, a short-term extension allows him to concentrate on his football at the Giants, while it also doesn't fully shut the door on a return to Victoria in a couple of years' time.

Kelly has played 60 games in his three seasons at the Giants, including all 24 games last year, which included a career-high 30-disposal game in the round 18 win over Adelaide.

He's rated as one of the best young talents in the league and was being closely watched by rival clubs.

The Giants, meanwhile, are in a unique position where they have several young players of high calibre that will all demand significant pay rises for their next contracts.

Midfield gun Dylan Shiel, who is also out of contract at the end of 2017, is a top priority for the Giants to re-sign before the end of the year.

Several Victorian clubs were hunting the smooth moving left-footer in 2015 before he inked a two-year extension midway through the season.

The Giants remain quietly confident that Shiel will stay beyond this year, given the potential success the club may have in the coming years.

Shiel is now in the position that Kelly most likely will be in two years; a genuine midfield star that Victorian clubs will be offering big money to.

Swingman Adam Tomlinson is also out of contract at the end of the season.

Tomlinson had previously found it hard getting a regular start in the star-studded GWS line-up, but found a home in defence at the end of last year, playing the last 10 games, including the qualifying and preliminary finals.

Another strong year from the Victorian could see big offers for him to return home, having been strongly linked to Carlton in the last two off-seasons.

On the field Western Bulldogs captain Ryan Griffen has been the standout on the track since the start of GWS' pre-season, while prized recruit Brett Deledio has been training strongly and is likely to play as a half forward, joining forces with Steve Johnson and Toby Greene.

Playon
Club Player

So it looks like Kelly is gone, no indication on Shiel, perhaps he'll sign perhaps he wont.

It might very well be that we go after Dusty, I cant see us spending all our cash on Fyfe

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Well the Saints have deliberately created a lot of salary cap room to target a quality elite FA and next year is the year.

There are very few players that will be available that would make a genuine difference to the list we have now built. Dusty is certainly such a player. From memory Fyfe is the only other such player who is also of a good age???

Whether we land him or not is one issue, but I cannot imagine that our recruitment team are not into him at present unless they for example think that Fyfe to the Saints is a done deal.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Stephen Theodore
SS Hall of Fame

dragit wrote:The only question is around his off field behavior IMO… his football ability is absolutely first rate.

Absolutely agree, in fact I could see him becoming a cult figure down at Moorabin

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

What abut another look at Tom from Brissy. Appears to be behaving himself now.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:What abut another look at Tom from Brissy. Appears to be behaving himself now.
He may be behaving himself, but he is not the absolute gun that both Martin or Fyfe are.

I actually see Martin as the lower risk of Martin or Fyfe as Dusty has had a very good injury record and who, while expensive $$ wise, would be cheaper than Fyfe

loris
Saintsational Legend

Playon wrote:So it looks like Kelly is gone, no indication on Shiel, perhaps he'll sign perhaps he wont.

It might very well be that we go after Dusty, I cant see us spending all our cash on Fyfe
From Shiel's comments on the AFL.com site he intends staying at GWS - says he has spoken with his family etc about it and he loves it in Sydney and with GWS and won't be returning. It seems like all it is left is for his management & GWS to get the contract signing up and going.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
borderbarry wrote:What abut another look at Tom from Brissy. Appears to be behaving himself now.
He may be behaving himself, but he is not the absolute gun that both Martin or Fyfe are.

I actually see Martin as the lower risk of Martin or Fyfe as Dusty has had a very good injury record and who, while expensive $$ wise, would be cheaper than Fyfe
I agree... but the cost to get him though is the concern. Don't want to do a Hawthorn and sell the farm for a player.

It's one thing for SC costs... it's another for high draft pick costs... for both though IMO is seldom worth it

oldie60
Club Player

whoever they decide on needs to be a game breaker, someone who can turn a game around.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:

I agree... but the cost to get him though is the concern. Don't want to do a Hawthorn and sell the farm for a player.

It's one thing for SC costs... it's another for high draft pick costs... for both though IMO is seldom worth it
Trick there then is to make the Restricted FA Offer high, and long, enough that Richmond cannot match it so that we do not have to trade for him. Lets us also hope that Richmond has a crap enough 2017 so that they decide to go into full rebuild mode and so that they finish low enough that the FA compo will be worth more to them. Tigers finishing Bottom 4 might color their thinking, and I think that Freo and Dons to go past the Tigers in 207 is areal chance. The Suns should and if the Lions get their act into gear they might too. Lets hope the Tigers slide badly.
Last edited by saintsRrising on Tue 31 Jan 2017 5:37pm, edited 1 time in total.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:

Agree with this. Martin is a proven elite mid. AA, top 4 Richmond B&F every year since 2012. As sRr as noted, he's extremely durable. Has missed something like 4 games in 6 years. Even through his much publicised dramas he's managed to keep on playing top quality footy. Turns 26 in June so plenty of excellent footy left. In his prime really.
Would take him in a heartbeat. Prefer him over Fyfe at this stage. Fyfe's recovery from a second fractured leg remains to be seen and as sRr has also said, will likely be cost more $$$$.
And if I'm not mistaken, Dusty was a mad Saints fan as a kid. Come on down son.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Fyfe by the length of the straight for me over Dusty

Fyfe can do everything - can play Back & Forward key positions and also as a damaging Mid - he has also dragged his side into a GF - Dusty hasn't even come close to doing that

Fyfe in our current set up would make more of an impact and would be a better addition .... despite costing more

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
sainters4eva
Club Player

For what it's worth saw Martin at Woolworths in Mentone last week. Would have thought he was more of an inner city or northern suburbs type of guy. Was he on his way back from a meeting in Seaford or has he moved into the area?

R. Harvey 3 votes!
Club Player

If we can't land anyone decent after making it so public and with the size of the contract that we can most likely offer, considering we will be a genuine finals/top 4 chance next year aswell it will actually be really embarrassing for the club.

I really hope we can land someone as it will give the everyone in the club a huge lift that we are a destination club again, same as when we grabbed Gehrig and Hamil
Last edited by R. Harvey 3 votes! on Tue 31 Jan 2017 6:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

When Harvey played his first game in 1988, I was a 12yo wearing short pants and struggling with my readin', writin' and 'rithmetic in grade eight. Now, I'm a father of three and a retired AFL player. And he's still going. Amazing! - Michael Voss
sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

Ive said it before & Ill say it again
Why would Fyfe leave Freo
Stkilda wouldnt offer much more coin than freo

I see him exactly like Roo - a foundation player that you build a team round & stays at one club

Seeya
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Lets think outside the square and sign both of them.

SuperSaint
Club Player

Martin was a pasionate Saints supporter growing up so there is a fair chance he will say yes to signing with us if the Tigers have another average year.

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

all about cost

Dusty fyfe = only salary cap price

Kelly, shield = salary cap and draft picks

btw has tim Watson ever been right about anything?

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Will the chop sticks be included in any deal?

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:Lets think outside the square and sign both of them.
Beat me to it...

What a return that would be