Daniel McKenzie

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Daniel McKenzie

There's a lot of talk about how McKenzie is progressing this pre-season. However after a quick glance at this draft profiles, I'm wondering why everyone is pigeon holing him as a back flanker. I cant see any reason why he cant develop into a vital cog in our midfield.

He has speed, endurance, good game sense and is tough so why is this the case?

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

Re: Daniel McKenzie

Will be part of a group of 15-16 that rotate through the mid field but will play predominantly behind the ball to begin with.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
footynut
Club Player

Of cause we want numbers to rotate through the middle, but I think he could add that spreed and speed we are lacking

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Back flankers are pretty important.
Andrew Mcleod, Jason Johannisen, Shaun Burgoyne.
But I think he can play on a wing as well pretty easily.
I reckon he has real ability. Could end up one of our best players.

jays
Club Player

top3 in time trail has to get mid time ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Back flankers are pretty important.
Andrew Mcleod, Jason Johannisen, Shaun Burgoyne.
I feel like one of those things is not like the others

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Because he often gets on the outside of the contest and runs to recieve, because he tucks the ball under his arm and takes the game on, because he is strong and courageous overhead and will back into oncoming packs, and most probably his speed and endurance to be able to defend... He has astonishing closing speed.

I think Wing/HB is his go

Like Andrew Gaff

Daniel will be close to elite IMO and the equal of Billings

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Because he often gets on the outside of the contest and runs to recieve, because he tucks the ball under his arm and takes the game on, because he is strong and courageous overhead and will back into oncoming packs, and most probably his speed and endurance to be able to defend... He has astonishing closing speed.

Like Andrew Gaff

He definitely has the makings of a solid player - if he can lock away a position on the opposite wing to Newnes, we would have two real goers on the wings which will help no end!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

When I hear "Daniel McKenzie" one word comes to
mind: "beast"

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Well he's been played as running back type in the VFL mainly and also his few senior games so I think that is how they initially see him. But Richo loves versatility so will be looking for guys to rotate through different possies. I think they will keep trying him out as a halfback, wing and even relief onball.

As much as everything is blue sky at the moment and we think every player will go onto to be brilliant AFL players, the reality is some won't develop the way we'd like. I know Richo has talked about someone like Rice being tried in the midfield.

We have to give ourselves lots of options as players can evolve and surprise you and others can disappoint you. Did people see Joey as an onballer when he started? Maybe Dunstan won't find another level to go to. Maybe Acres will not have the tank to be a genuine onballer. Maybe Gresham will struggle in the middle to win his own ball with his size. We need to not lock in too early and give ourselves backup plans.

If Macca can show he can win his own ball and have good hands in close then yeah he may be an option for the midfield. He's got a decent size on him and seems to have good all round ability even if I can't see him really excelling at anything yet.

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

The adventures of Daniel mckenzie!

In red white and black from 73
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Mart said," Daniel will be close to elite IMO and the equal of Billings"

While I agree with the first part, I cant see him being the equal of Billings. There is a reason why one was taken with Pick 3, and the other Pick 20. It is a question of talent and ability. While Mcka has no brownlow votes to his name and Billings has 3, I think you will find that Jack Billings wil be one of our better players this year. At least I hope so.

minneapolis
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Because he often gets on the outside of the contest and runs to recieve, because he tucks the ball under his arm and takes the game on, because he is strong and courageous overhead and will back into oncoming packs, and most probably his speed and endurance to be able to defend... He has astonishing closing speed.

Like Andrew Gaff

Geez BM, as usual , very negative.

(That lump of the side of my mouth is my tongue).

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Don't get caught up in the hype of draft picks

Fyfe was taken at 19, Danderfield 10, Hannebury 30... And so on

Billings has elite qualities, as he is smooth and skilled
But Daniel is his equal in the air, also penetrating by foot, good vision
He is a bit less talented, but a lot more athletic... He can run Billings off his feet, both speed and endurance.

I also believe the courage that Daniel has will put him strait ahead of plenty... He is absolutely fearless
He is a Billings/Wright combo

Acres already has a huge tank, and ball winning ability, good hands either in a clearance or in the air... Uses his size well
Decision making, awareness and kicking are his queries.

Dunstan is good in close, just needs to improve his running and cover the ground better.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

footynut wrote:There's a lot of talk about how McKenzie is progressing this pre-season. However after a quick glance at this draft profiles, I'm wondering why everyone is pigeon holing him as a back flanker. I cant see any reason why he cant develop into a vital cog in our midfield.

He has speed, endurance, good game sense and is tough so why is this the case?
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-01-3 ... ve-forward
After making an impact across half-back late in 2016, emerging St Kilda defender Daniel McKenzie has carried that form through the pre-season and is poised to build on his impressive finish to last year.

The 20-year-old played only two of the first 14 games of last season before earning a recall in Round 16, where played seven of the final eight games and thrived as a small defender.

McKenzie spent a large chunk of his off-season travelling through Japan before he hit the ground running with the rest of St Kilda’s first to fourth-year players at the start of November.

From there, the athletic utility has lit the track up this summer, emerging as one of the best endurance runners at the club, trailing long distance king Jarryn Geary around Seaford for most of the pre-season.

“So far this year I’ve done most of it [the program], probably missed out on one session throughout and been really strong,” McKenzie told saints.com.au on Tuesday.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Minni

I am only negative, just ignore the positive posts and buy into the rubbish by morons like Joffaboy and the other bullsh*t artists.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

MacKenzie is going to make people sit up and take notice this year. The other one to watch in my opinion is White. Needs another pre-season into him, but is also going to be a high "b" grade, possible "A" grade.

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!