Seb Ross aiming for adaptability

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Seb Ross aiming for adaptability

by loris » Thu Jan 26, 2017 1:42 pm

Saintbrat - there is a good article on Seb Ross and the competition for spots in the mid field this year. It's on Afl website. I can't seem to bring it up to put on this site - can you do it please? Ta
http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-26/s ... ld-squeeze
And despite coming off a career-best year spent largely in the engine room, the 23-year-old concedes St Kilda's beefed-up midfield stocks might force him to revisit the roles he played as a youngster.

In 2016, Ross played every match for the first time in his career, averaging more than 26 disposals per game. He did that primarily in the thick of the action, although his ranking of 14th in the AFL for total uncontested possessions showed he could still win the ball on the outside.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

"There are only three inside midfield spots, so whether (I spend more time) out on the wing or up forward a little bit, (I'm) just trying to adjust my game a little bit.

"You've got to be bloody fit to play on the wing so if we are playing a fair few mids and I have to play wing and forward, then I'll be suited to that role."

Becoming more adaptable hasn't been a message from the coaches – rather, Ross said the players had become aware of the need to be able to play more than one position.

"We're a pretty experienced group of midfielders now, so we know there will be competition for spots," he said.

"When it comes to picking a team, it's good to be able to play both those positions, because you don't want to have your one-wood and then nothing else, in case you can't get any midfield time.

[img]https://scontent.fmel1-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=590CC134
[/img]

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Re: Seb Ross aiming for adaptability

Richo really has seemed to put a focus on versatility. Great to see Seb being pushed to find other facets of his game. If you want to be a-grade you need both really good inside and outside game. No point getting the footy if you don't use it well. No point being silky skilled if you can't get your own footy - teams quickly work out to cut off your supply.

One thing I think we need to look at improving is goal scoring from midfielders. Our forward line is looking like a having quite a few goal scoring options which is great but you also want mids to score some to take the pressure off and make us multi-dimensional

Steven is great with 14 last year - his speed lets him get free and run on to loose balls and Armo with 11 doing well. Newnes with 15 surprised me. Ross 3, Dunny 5, Blake 7, Billings 6, could look at creeping those numbers up. Hard to get that balance of pushing forward and covering back right. You need a really good tank.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Attacking goal kicking wingmen are the last part of the list puzzle IMO. Newnes plays the role well, but I wouldnt say we have too many other natural wingmen on the list now that Monty has gone back. We need a Smith/Hill like combination, perhaps Ross can develop into the role like AR had Acres & Billings starting there last year. Long and Phillips might be long term options also. Interesting year ahead for everyone!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how many goals Roo kicked last year when playing on the wing or midfield?

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how many goals Roo kicked last year when playing on the wing or midfield?