Nathan Brown

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

St.Rob8
Club Player

Nathan Brown

Just bit the bullet and watched the 2010 drawn GF for the first time since it happened. Couldn't face it until now. Nathan Brown did a great job on Roo. Seems like there is nothing wrong with his tank or skills. I tend not to watch Collingwood for health reasons unless they play us . Bit like X-rays or anti-biotics (should only do it when you have to). At 28, why are there doubts on Brown? Why did Pies let him go? Lets hope a new club helps him refind a bit of form, becauase at his age he should be in his prime.

shrodes
SS Life Member

Re: Nathan Brown

The main criticism I've heard is he doesn't offer much outside of stopping power. No offensive side to his game. Not sure how that will go in the modern game where versatility is key, but I don't mind us giving him a go as a bit of depth.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

7 years is a long time in football. His delivery from what I've heard is really average. It's hard to talk about him in isolation - you do need big units to stop the gorrillas and straighten you up at the back. To me it comes down to balance.

I don't like the balance of Carlisle, Brown, Dempster, Geary, Gilbert, Roberton. That is a lot of poor kicking where we need space to put some more offensive players from the back (who also need to prove they can defend). We've gone from too small at the back to possibly to tall and gangly. Nor is it the most forward looking selections.

My other concern is if he going to stop Goddards development. I see Goddard as possibly being pivotal to our defensive unit and even our next flag. He has the capability to be that pillar of defence general that the backs all organise around that most premiership teams have. He seems smart, strong should be able to hold his ground with the biggest of forwards and crunch them to keep them honest. He doesn't look quick I'll grant you but Harley and Maxwell weren't the quickest but used their play reading, intercepting and ability to set up the defence and make that backline a fortress. Ideally Jake and Hugh should be starting to form their onfield relationship, formations and communications this year. It usually takes a few years for that to be really tight.

But look I think Brown will get a good stab at this year. If all of Brown, Demps, Gears and Gilbo play then proof will be in the result pudding. IF we get the wins on the board its hard to argue with as Richo looks very keen for finals this year. But if we don't then questions will be asked if we are too clunky at the back and should be looking more towards the future.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Will be a great pick up

You do not want Carlisle to be playing last line on the opposition best player

If Goddard is good enough he will take his spot, as it is he seems too slow

Roberton is seen as a good attacking kick

Half backline is where the attack comes from
Roberton/Gilbo
Carlisle
Montagna/Savage/McKenzie

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

I think the insane forward presses have put more pressure on players who can't deliver the ball to a decent level. You watch us and we will sometimes have every player in the oppo 50 - its like the opposite of a defensive flood. Players who can't work it out in those tight spaces get targeted including the back 3. That's probably where Brown is a bit dated.

Even someone like Frawley for Hawks has competent kicking as well as being to able to handle the big units. To me its no coincidence that the teams winning flags are all able to possess the footy well on every line and don't have many bad kickers in the their teams. If you have the footy, the oppo can't do s*** but run around tiring themselves out.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote: But look I think Brown will get a good stab at this year. If all of Brown, Demps, Gears and Gilbo play then proof will be in the result pudding. IF we get the wins on the board its hard to argue with as Richo looks very keen for finals this year. But if we don't then questions will be asked if we are too clunky at the back and should be looking more towards the future.
Not sure why you have bundled Gilbert into this group as he is a very attacking player. He is also very versatile now as can play midfield and go forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
Bluthy wrote: But look I think Brown will get a good stab at this year. If all of Brown, Demps, Gears and Gilbo play then proof will be in the result pudding. IF we get the wins on the board its hard to argue with as Richo looks very keen for finals this year. But if we don't then questions will be asked if we are too clunky at the back and should be looking more towards the future.
Not sure why you have bundled Gilbert into this group as he is a very attacking player. He is also very versatile now as can play midfield and go forward.
I think Gilbo he said he will be mainly playing defence. I'm just worried that maybe now we are going too tall at the back with Gilbert and Roberton at 195 and Carlisle and Brown big units, Dempster at 191. It just seems a bit weird if we slot two huge guys in and the only out is Fisher (who was out of the team a bit last year anyway through injury).

Dunno, need to see what they do with selection. No surprise I'm keen to see some spaces open for some really good users of the footy in White and Rice. Maybe it relies on what Dempster can show offensively if he doesn't need to play a last line of defence role. If he can use his good play reading to be an aggressive intercept marker that helps our attacking cause from the back. He's not going to be quick though or a particularly penetrating kick. And does Brown give you that organising full-back role that Dempster & Fish were doing last year so less need for that experience and guiding hands?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

White and Rice need to earn spots. We are no longer crap and gift games, if they're good enough they'll get a spot

Neither can run with the footy as well as Roberton or Gilbert (especially Gilbert)

Gilbert is 194 and Roberton is more like 192

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Don't forget McKenzie. I reckon he's a lock for round one. Good kick, quick, takes risks. Exactly what we need. I think they'll only play three talls. Carlisle, Brown and Roberton. Gears on the smalls, McKenzie and maybe Joey. Dempster, Gilbert, Goddard competing with Brown. Long and Freeman may still surprise. We won't go too tall. Plenty of competition. Reasons to be cheerful!

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

Pressure on all for spots this year is great for the club. MG on BF said they are going to rotate the top 35 thru the team this year which is exciting for all !

sabras
Club Player

The benefits from this preseason with this acquisition is already paying dividends

The value he is adding helping our young forwards and defenders get better at their craft is exciting and the preseason hasn't even finished!

Great pick up!

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

How now Brown cow

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
lewdogs
Club Player

Funny thing is the Pies fans think they have a better replacement in Dunn.

Not quite.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Don't forget McKenzie. I reckon he's a lock for round one. Good kick, quick, takes risks. Exactly what we need. I think they'll only play three talls. Carlisle, Brown and Roberton. Gears on the smalls, McKenzie and maybe Joey. Dempster, Gilbert, Goddard competing with Brown. Long and Freeman may still surprise. We won't go too tall. Plenty of competition. Reasons to be cheerful!
You think Demps will move out of defence? One of the best intercept marks in the game across half back.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Can't wait for the JWL Community Series to start to really see how good he is.

What a fantastic name it has!

I'll miss the nab challenge a bit, but for real nostalgia buffs it was hard not miss he excitement of the nab cup and more so the big one - The Wizard Cup!

Late Jan is time to get pumped about footy!

It's only a mere two and bit months till round one starts :roll:

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Impatient Sainter wrote:Pressure on all for spots this year is great for the club. MG on BF said they are going to rotate the top 35 thru the team this year which is exciting for all !
I'll believe that when I see it. That hasn't been Richo's way so far. Maybe he feels he has got rid of the dead wood and has more good quality ingredients in his cupboard to experiment with now. We'll see. I think they should be willing to rest Demps, Gilbo and Joey a bit and save their older legs while giving other guys a try and experience. Sam Mitchell is talking about not playing every game this year. Seems smart stuff.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Sam Mitchell is turning 35 and is a midfielder

Resting him makes sense

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote:Don't forget McKenzie. I reckon he's a lock for round one. Good kick, quick, takes risks. Exactly what we need. I think they'll only play three talls. Carlisle, Brown and Roberton. Gears on the smalls, McKenzie and maybe Joey. Dempster, Gilbert, Goddard competing with Brown. Long and Freeman may still surprise. We won't go too tall. Plenty of competition. Reasons to be cheerful!
You think Demps will move out of defence? One of the best intercept marks in the game across half back.
Shinna to be used sparingly. He'll play, just not every week. Time to transition. Great warrior, but this is the phase in, phase out year. If Shinna can't get a game, we know we are well off and on track.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
To the top
SS Life Member

For my 2 bobs worth I reckon both Gilbert and Roberton as 194cm defenders give defensive attributes AND run and carry.

With Carlisle and Brown, neither Gilbert or Roberton (or Dempster) should be required to occupy KPP defensive positions which should mean they will be even more damaging rebounding weapons including that the match ups will rarely see them out marked.

Both have pace.

In this day of disruption footy, when the ball finds its way into your hands you have to be able to take off and deliver - and both Gilbert and Roberton have those abilities.

Both of them will be central to the progress of this side in 2017.

IF Goddard can consign Brown to Sandringham in 2017, then all the better.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
st.byron wrote:
Shinna to be used sparingly. He'll play, just not every week. Time to transition. Great warrior, but this is the phase in, phase out year. If Shinna can't get a game, we know we are well off and on track.
Agree it's transition time. Demps has just turned 33. May still have a couple of years in him though. Still a quality player.
Also agree with To the top that the presence of Brown / Carlisle could have a big impact on Robbo in particular. He showed on a few occasions last year that he can be a line breaker. Having Carlisle and Brown wont just benefit us by having stoppers to play on the big fellas, but by releasing Robbo and Gilbo from those roles.

bob__71
Club Player

I thought maybe Brown was brought in as backup for Carlisle. That we would mostly only play them one at a time and that the back 6 would basically be....out Fisher in Carlisle.

wally
Club Player

I thought Brown was brought in to play full back. Carlisle to play CHB. The rest fight for flanks & pockets. Fisher was much better
playing off a flank so too Dempster not KPP. Up to the youngins to force their way in or take their chances when injuries occur.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

wally wrote:I thought Brown was brought in to play full back. Carlisle to play CHB. The rest fight for flanks & pockets. Fisher was much better
playing off a flank so too Dempster not KPP. Up to the youngins to force their way in or take their chances when injuries occur.
he was.

He is total upgrade on Delaney and I think he'll be good for us.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Carlisle will not play on the last line IMO he'll play at HB or occasionally forward/ruck, perhaps on a massive ruck forward if needed (Tippett/Jenkins/Daw/Ryder - if they go fwd)

Brown will play on the last line
On the #1 forward

Dempster will play on the 3rd fwd and work off him if he can

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Browny is being put forward as a face of the saints and he speaks well and with knowledge-

but It irks me a little when a new player 'Takes on' the feelings of his new team from before his time-
would have been more comfortable if he had said
They missed out on finals on percentage last year and they lost a couple of close games that they could have easily won,” Brown said.
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-01-2 ... says-brown
“Like any backline, they’ve got to play well together, gel and mix – they don’t have to be superstars they’ve just got to play as a back six or seven unit,” Brown said at a press conference on Wednesday.

“That’s what we’ve worked on really hard this pre-season, just getting to know everyone’s game style, particularly myself and Jake; new players coming into the system, we’ve worked really hard on getting that gel amongst the guys.”

After St Kilda missed out on playing in September last year due to an inferior percentage to North Melbourne, Brown says the Saints are determined to return to finals football.

“We missed out on finals on percentage last year and we lost a couple of close games that we could have easily won,” Brown said.

“We want to play finals this year, as every single team does. It's going to be hard and we're going to be up for it.”

And given St Kilda’s second last appearance in a final came in the 2010 Grand Final replay, where Brown was stationed on Nick Riewoldt and helped break red, white and black hearts, the new Saint admits it has been raised by some of his new teammates, but he is now focused on helping the Saints and himself to a second premiership.

“It has been brought up a few times, but I sort of play it down a bit,” Brown said.

“Obviously I’m very proud of that and have a lot of great memories of that, but I’m here at the Saints now and I really want to be part of a flag here at this club. I’m really excited for the future, but not forgetting the past.”
http://www.saints.com.au/news/2017-01-2 ... t-to-heart
Recently acquired St Kilda key defender Nathan Brown doesn’t hold any resentment for how his time finished at the club he played in a premiership with, rather he is thrilled to start afresh at an important juncture in his career.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
“It’s been a really good fit and I’m excited to see what happens, not only in my personal career but at the club as well. It’s been an exciting period for my life and my football; I’ve thoroughly enjoyed it so far.

"I’m three months down and really liking it at the Saints. It’s rejuvenated me; I’m attacking pre-season with energy and passion, so it’s been a great thing for me.”

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107