Training Wednesday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Darth Vader
Club Player

Re: Training Wednesday

The main thing this confirms for me is I can't remember anyone's numbers. Thanks for the report BM.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

BM, I share some of your concerns about Luke Dunstan. I'm a big fan of the boy and he has the qualities of a future captain. His running is the concern. I hope he turns out to be another Seb Ross. Remember, Seb couldn't run out of sight on a foggy night two years ago. Last year his spread and linking were outstanding. His running went to another, unforeseen level. I hope our running coaches have improved Luke in a similar vein. He certainly has the skill and ball winning ability.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
stevie
Saintsational Legend

Thanks for all the info guys. We dont get much about it up here. Another warm one day today though I have gambled and opened all the windows to let a rare breeze in lol

Forgive my ignorance but who is JBT?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Are, now the back track Savatage?!

I read the stuff on BF, Tom Hickey, Acres, Geary, Bottom 4 blah, blah, blah...

You know I don't post on that mutual wankfest garbage forum, where debate is not allowed and contrary is the enemy. So it was easy to have a go?!

You knew you where not going to get anything back, so it was a cheap shot, not tongue in cheek... And the cronies loved it... Good for you I say?

I never have said, indicated or even suggested I am 'the man' or even anymore than anyone... It you who suggest that.

My so called 'negative' posting style is nothing more than how I see things as they are... I have been wrong along the way, and I know I've been right plenty as well (which was refuted, before accepted)

Oh yeah, and I post positive stuff when it occurs also... You probably just ignore that? Membrey, Phillips, Montagna, Bruce... And if you read closely it was more positive than negative.

And

It was a simple training report, you reacted the way you did...

savatage
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:Are, now the back track Savatage?!

You know I don't post on that mutual wankfest garbage forum, where debate is not allowed and contrary is the enemy. So it was easy to have a go?!

You knew you where not going to get anything back, so it was a cheap shot, not tongue in cheek... And the cronies loved it... Good for you I say?

I never have said, indicated or even suggested I am 'the man' or even anymore than anyone... It you who suggest that.

My so called 'negative' posting style is nothing more than how I see things as they are... I have been wrong along the way, and I know I've been right plenty as well (which was refuted, before accepted)

Oh yeah, and I post positive stuff when it occurs also... You probably just ignore that? Membrey, Phillips, Montagna, Bruce... And if you read closely it was more positive than negative.

And

That was CLEARLY tongue & cheek - if you can't see that, I don't know what else to say.

Cool story bro! You enjoy being tightly wound. I got stuff to do :)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Seb has taken his running (he was always a good player) to more than just another level, and reaped the benefits. I used to see Seb up close at Sand games where he'd be dominating and he was a big strong boy. He has completely changed his body shape, is now even looking lean and very fit. Like all afl mids, he has shed unnecessary KGs in search of mobility, endurance.

Luke D MUST do the same!! He too is a good player, he has attribute AFL standard, but is heavy/chunky and cannot run at the level required, it's as simple as that. His 17ppg as an inside mid is poor in any language and there is actually no real excuses (even though rubbish is suggested) other than he cannot spread quick enough.

JBT = Joe Baker Thomas

Yes Long is 21 and Brown 22
Just had a Delaney/Gresham thing going where 21 was the tall and 22 the small...

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Tightly wound?

I'm not the one who had a hissy fit over someone's view on training.

You where screaming like a banchee on BF? You reacted like such a cool customer didn't you??

It was a little embarrassing IMO

I'm just defending my right to post honestly and making a point

minneapolis
Club Player

Thanks BM. Really enjoyed your report.

Why is it that when anyone actually does something there is always a floater to criticise.

The man went to training. Watched. And gave his opinion.

Now Seb and a couple of others were poor a few years ago. And have improved drastically. Rice and a couple of others may also. We will watch with joy if that happens.

BM please continue. For me, it is the highlight of the week.

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Big Mart, keep going to training and reporting please. It gives us country supporters something to look forward to.

8856brother
Saintsational Legend

And for God's sake BM, don't suggest it's a bit concerning Jake Carlisle isn't fully training yet after not playing a game in anger for nearly 18 months. The crew over there will come for you again.

Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

All savatage is saying is BM tends to be negative on most things or a lot of things (on St Kilda). BM might actually be right in his assessment this time on Dunstan etc; but the tendency is there.

I remember Hickey having a great game a couple of years ago, gathering 19 possessions and kicking 3 goals against GWS - and I think BM (apologies if I'm mistaken - please correct me if I'm wrong) was arguing how Mumford monstered him and beat him convincingly. Couldn't we take some positive out of Hickey's great game - why do we need to compare Steven with Dangerfield or Hickey with Mumford or Gawn - can't we just be happy with who we have?

I have my foibles too - I like arguing/debating - but I hope I'm always respectful - and that's what attracts me to this forum - the fact that we can express our opinions.

With respect.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Are, now the back track Savatage?!

And

Thanks bm.

Loved your report on training and also the one about big footy.

Should be renamed big wank. A real garbage forum.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Great report BM!

You see a hell of a lot in a short space of time and your analysis is usually pretty good, thanks.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
SMS
Club Player

Agree re acres slack kicking. He seems to do it in games. I was hoping that changed. He needs to get some urgency. If he had blinding urgency and got rid of those floaters - he could be one of the best up and comers in the league. Annoys me does this annoy anyone else? I wouldve thought the coaches would address this.
If I was coach of saints ...
Acres: Boxing and reflex training all summer.
Dunstan: running coach all summer
Lonie and gresham Spend the summer in a strecth between two ropes stopping only to do shoulders and traps in the gym
Hickey: Calf raises all summer

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

People are starting to lose faith in Dunstan????

As someone else posted Seb Ross couldn't run for nuts only a couple of years back. Give Luke time. Patience. He will be a very good player for us.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Love Dunstan - been going through some of our best wins last year and he was incredible. Power in the middle, fend offs - really got things going. And as Tony has stated, plays an important role in the middle, blocking etc.

I've got no worries with him finding the ball - while last year's possessions average seems to plato, his first year showed he's able to rack them up which was impressive for a first year player.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Everyone knows Dunstan has ability.

You don't avg 16ppg as a mid in Year 1 if you don't have AFL talent, and when he's around the contest he has shown he can impact. However, whilst that is acceptable for a draftee due to fitness constraints, we have not seen any further progress, his body shape has not changed, his numbers are the same and he cannot spread quickly enough from the contest.

For him to change this, it's quite simple, Armitage did it, Seb did it and it's purely a matter of dropping 3-5kg and go two levels up with his running power. Priddis is slow, but now an aeobic beast. He can do that, or he can continue to be a plodder?!

He had a perfect opportunity to just run, run, run over the pre season... But he is struggling to keep up with the likes of Lonie, Sinclar, Acres, Minchington... Who have barely played midfield minutes.

Dunstan Was given a lot of midfield for the last two seasons, more than he has deserved IMO but injury to Seb 2015, Armo 2016 allowed this... He has never donned a zebras top, whilst Minch, Eli, Lonie, Sinclair racked them up in the twos, and if they were lucky enough to get a game it was as a small forward asked to apply pressure.

I watched Sandy a lot, I think I should have seen Luke there a few times over the last two years, and Acres, Minchington give some midfield minutes in the seniors? Just my opinion.

I also think JB is in exactly the same boat, however leg issues have limited him

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Who is the 'blockers' at Sydney, Hawthorn and GWS?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Did not mention Carlisle in my report, he was not training. Have not seen him at all yet, so have no idea what he's going like

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Hickey played a great game against Mumford. Just pointed out that in the actual ruck contest he was monstered!

Around the ground he did well (19pos) and kicked 3

But Mumford had 18 pos, kicked 1 had something like 13 clearances and 8 tackles.

This along with 46ho to Mumford and lots to advantage to Hickey less than 20ho

Mumford was named GWS best player. So whilst Tom had a good game, he still lowered his colours to the big Mummy! As many do...

Tom is a better player now, in 2015 I saw Micheal Sikora beat him comfortably in a VFL game, and other VFL ruckmen out pointed him also, and he was relegated to #2 ruckman at Sandy

How things change

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

I think GWS had 26 more hit outs in that game, bigmart - but we ended up with 3 more clearances!!
So Mumford's 26 extra hitouts didn't translate to more clearances for his team - probably because more than half in fact were "hitouts to our advantage".

Hickey and St Kilda should be happy to be "monstered" in this fashion.

Anyway, Hickey was great - and we won that game. His 3 goals in a tight match was the difference. We should be on a high.
Why detract from that?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Just point out what really happened?

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Good post BM. Plenty of effort went in to that.
Extra points for managing to get the term 'pole smokers' in to a thread. I havent heard that one in a while and it made me chuckle.

Yep, i had a chuckle as well.

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

Very disappointing negative report. I point you towards the below:
Football Supporters Preseason Compulsory Reporting Requirements (FSPCRR)

All football supporters shall make any reports on preseason training and games in nothing but the most glowing and positive fashion indicating a premiership flag is a definite chance (if not a certainty).

Phrases that can be used include, but are not limited to, "flying on the track", "tearing it up", "fitter than they have every been", "personal bests", "real depth this year", "training the house down", "pinging the ball around". Hints that they are implementing revolutionary systems despite your limited view is a nice touch. Previously injured players must all be recovering well and be "raring to go for round 1". It is preferred a strong strain of homoeroticism is also worked in ie "glistening in the sun", "nice tans", "bulging muscles", "enjoyed watching the boys banging their sweaty bodies together"

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Haha, you forgot one of my favourites - ripping nic