Training Wednesday

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Training Wednesday

On Holidays, so had a chance to get a look

Initial impressions

Unimpressive early on in drills, in particular by foot, some sloppiness and with no pressure, the ball hitting the deck way too often. It was a bit blustery, but standard was average. It did get a bit better, but there were still poor turnovers regularly.

Other impressions were the number of no-shows, many not on the track whatsoever. The number of Coaches (Didn't see AR at all?) Sexton and Kingsly ran most of training, Hamill, Searle, Welsh, Gilbee, Frawley, Strobalak, McPhee - almost as many coaches as players.

They Did a variety of drills, small group match work and groups rotated and then full ground match simulation, with almost full pressure.

1-Absent
2-Absent
3-Absent
4-Absent
5-Trained ok
6-Good, looks impressive
7-Average, I'll go in depth later
8-gets a lot of the ball, sloppy, and often caught with the ball. He seems very casual and kicks it poorly a lot
9-Absent
10-Absent
11-Very good, lots of voice, moving well, smart use and racked up numbers in defence
12-Absent
13-Absent
14-Good, still turning it over, but read the play well and dominated at HB
15-Absent
16-Very good
17-OK
18-Has a big crack, but I think has poor eyesight, no depth perception because he cannot judge the ball in flight? Lumbers around the ground, but throws his weight around in the contest. Average skills
19-Bit like Geary, dominated match sim, but still occasionally flips it over or has a brain fade
20-Just a good footballer, encourages a lot
21-Solid, moves well for a big but has average skills
22-Very raw and skills were shaky, he moves nicely but tends to rush and can make a lot of errors
23-Absent
24-Solid as usual, reads the ball like a pro and just seems to know where to go to defend the incoming ball. I thought Shinner was a mute, but he handed out a couple of sprays to his team mates for sitting back and not going
25-Absent
26-Moves well, a constant motion (rather than explosive) lead, finds the ball up forward on the lead and moves around well for a 192. Is an upgrade on Siposs as a forward as he is slightly bigger and has a tank, but is a bit one dimensional
27-Beast of an athlete
28-Tore it up as a marking forward, took contested grabs and has vice like hands. Is moving very well.
29-A real goer, but like Wright just misses targets horribly. He is a hard flat kick, which looks good, but doesn't hit the target enough
30-Will be a find, slight, runs hard and finds the ball, he can miss kicks but his skills seem OK. A midfield linkman similar to Newnes
31-Was fairly impressive as a defender, and uses it well
32-Is a dangerous forward, because he knows where to run, strong hands and clever forward line player. Natural footballer. Still big questions about his fitness
33-Unassuming, similar to Sinclair in that he's a neat little player. Gets more of the footy than Jack, but less polished
34-A hard working scrappy effort
35-Extremely neat with everything he does, rarely kicks over 30m though. Creative with outstanding vision, he is so clean around the footy. Doesn't probably stand out because he doesn't run with the footy or kick long.
36-Quick, elusive and damaging. He will be the bolster IMO
37-Old fashion footballer, reads the game well, has solid skills, can make some lazy errors and is just not a great athlete. Although, he is quicker than he looks. Will make a very good VFL or Suburban footballer. Not sure he has the running ability to play AFL
38-OK
41-I think is probably the most skilled off the deck, and maybe by foot. He is very quick, very clean and uses it well.
44-Beast of a man, was giving a lot of instruction and is intense

Others
Joyce-Impressive looking athlete, good size and agility but a Long way to go! Defends ok, hands are poor at the moment, and drops marks, kicking hit and miss, and in offence is very unsure. Reminds me of Holmes early doors (but Holmes was 6'8" and could ruck)
Conellan-Smaller, quick small defender, left footer who reads it OK and runs hard.Better kick than Joyce and seems to understand what he's doing. Can still miss simple targets or fumble straight forward balls.
Both Irish guys have sporting and athletic traits, but as far as skill goes, would be behind most local footballers

Three Ruckman
Did all the training, one running drill and then competitive rucking for a long period which involved running, rucking and ground balls
All three were average in the running, but Longer was actually poor. Finished last by a margin. Billy dominated the stoppage rucking, was just too strong. Holmes better at the ground balls, with his hands, he is a very athletic bloke for a 203. Pierce is the only one who can find the footy easy in general play. All 3 have seperate strengths and weaknesses.

Marshall - did not ruck, was forward. Went ok, but was getting the odd spray from Sammy. He moves ok for a big boy.

JBT - ran laps early then went off.

Running - only about half did it
4 races it was on time, bout 1k runs
Won by
Ross, Gilbert, Gilbert, Ross

In probable overall order
Gilbert
Ross
Newnes
Sinclair
Armitage
Acres
At the front

In the middle
Savage
Minchington
Membrey
Geary (Surprising)
Brown 2 runs
Coughlin

At the rear
Pierce 2 runs
Holmes 2 runs
McCartin 2runs
Dunstan (in the final race he finished dead last by over 100m and was about 200 behind Ross)
Longer (in races he did, he was last by 100m)

SMS
Club Player

Re: Training Wednesday

Someone is a grumpy bum today.
Its traiining dude relax. We never know the intentions.

Luke dunstan finished last you say by 200m?? How do you know he didnt do 10km before and told go 50%. Not being able to do compound weights he would be doing extra running this pre season.

Bad kicking you say? What if they did their deadlifts/leg weights the previous day? Id like to think they wouldnt overoad that way but who knows - preseason is about cramming strength and conditioning in as much as possible. Never bodes well for skills during this time. Lets wait til round 1 to lose our shite.

st sandy
Club Player

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2017-01-18/s ... l-training

Article about Dunstan & others on AFL website - hope the link works
Dunstan first opportunity today to join training post shoulder surgery - explains a little his lack of fitness

sasaint
Club Player

Thanks for the training report. Really appreciate the update.

BTW, think #21 and#22 must have been switched.

Patience young grasshopper
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Thanks BM.

Ive not seen #26 yet, but what I read he sounds like a slightly taller version of #28. How does #26 compare to #28 ?.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
dragit
Saintsational Legend

Did you have a run marto?

2Km time?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Thought you were a bit harsh on a few there BM. Was Luke's first serious running with the group. He was with the main group on the first two runs and only lost the pack in the last 20 secs of the third. Paddy ran more than any of them (gps) Had trouble with his levels after the second run. Billy and the ruckmen were pulled on the third run and did continuos ruck/ body work for the next 20 mins.
As for the skills well I tend to look at the 80% that hit the target under pressure rather than the negative ones. Mind you they do cost you a game so the MANY coaches are working at getting it to 100%. As for Blake we must be looking at two different players, thought he was impressive in both skills and fitness. He just looks lackadaisical.
And you must be impressed with Sammy G.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Thought you were a bit harsh on a few there BM. Was Luke's first serious running with the group. He was with the main group on the first two runs and only lost the pack in the last 20 secs of the third. Paddy ran more than any of them (gps) Had trouble with his levels after the second run. Billy and the ruckmen were pulled on the third run and did continuos ruck/ body work for the next 20 mins.
As for the skills well I tend to look at the 80% that hit the target under pressure rather than the negative ones. Mind you they do cost you a game so the MANY coaches are working at getting it to 100%. As for Blake we must be looking at two different players, thought he was impressive in both skills and fitness. He just looks lackadaisical.
And you must be impressed with Sammy G.
Tony, Marto mentioned that #1 was absent.
No fitness/injury issues with Tom?

tony74
SS Hall of Fame

Part of a balanced plan mate. The guy has the skinniest calfs I've ever seen!!

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Part of a balanced plan mate. The guy has the skinniest calfs I've ever seen!!
Cheers Tony. And if you don't mind, how is J. Steele going? A chance he'll be fit for the pre-season games?

To the top
SS Life Member

An interesting summation of training - and some prejudices obvious?

On the basis of the summaries of players available to us we have recruited "duds" and our List is so deficient in skills as to have us expecting to return to the foot of the table again?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

tony74 wrote:Part of a balanced plan mate. The guy has the skinniest calfs I've ever seen!!
How did BM look t-bone?

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I can understand that you have high expectations of the group Marto but it is still mid January and stinking hot - cut the boys some slack and relax. We will start worrying about their skills come Round 1 if they dont improve. Remember last year the first 2 pre season games we were horrible and progressively got better. I think they said in January its about getting the bulk -workload into the players so a huge training load more so than skills concerns!

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:On Holidays, so had a chance to get a look

Initial impressions

Unimpressive early on in drills, in particular by foot, some sloppiness and with no pressure, the ball hitting the deck way too often. It was a bit blustery, but standard was average. It did get a bit better, but there were still poor turnovers regularly.

Other impressions were the number of no-shows, many not on the track whatsoever. The number of Coaches (Didn't see AR at all?) Sexton and Kingsly ran most of training, Hamill, Searle, Welsh, Gilbee, Frawley, Strobalak, McPhee - almost as many coaches as players.

They Did a variety of drills, small group match work and groups rotated and then full ground match simulation, with almost full pressure.

1-Absent
2-Absent
3-Absent
4-Absent
5-Trained ok
6-Good, looks impressive
7-Average, I'll go in depth later
8-gets a lot of the ball, sloppy, and often caught with the ball. He seems very casual and kicks it poorly a lot
9-Absent
10-Absent
11-Very good, lots of voice, moving well, smart use and racked up numbers in defence
12-Absent
13-Absent
14-Good, still turning it over, but read the play well and dominated at HB
15-Absent
16-Very good
17-OK
18-Has a big crack, but I think has poor eyesight, no depth perception because he cannot judge the ball in flight? Lumbers around the ground, but throws his weight around in the contest. Average skills
19-Bit like Geary, dominated match sim, but still occasionally flips it over or has a brain fade
20-Just a good footballer, encourages a lot
21-Solid, moves well for a big but has average skills
22-Very raw and skills were shaky, he moves nicely but tends to rush and can make a lot of errors
23-Absent
24-Solid as usual, reads the ball like a pro and just seems to know where to go to defend the incoming ball. I thought Shinner was a mute, but he handed out a couple of sprays to his team mates for sitting back and not going
25-Absent
26-Moves well, a constant motion (rather than explosive) lead, finds the ball up forward on the lead and moves around well for a 192. Is an upgrade on Siposs as a forward as he is slightly bigger and has a tank, but is a bit one dimensional
27-Beast of an athlete
28-Tore it up as a marking forward, took contested grabs and has vice like hands. Is moving very well.
29-A real goer, but like Wright just misses targets horribly. He is a hard flat kick, which looks good, but doesn't hit the target enough
30-Will be a find, slight, runs hard and finds the ball, he can miss kicks but his skills seem OK. A midfield linkman similar to Newnes
31-Was fairly impressive as a defender, and uses it well
32-Is a dangerous forward, because he knows where to run, strong hands and clever forward line player. Natural footballer. Still big questions about his fitness
33-Unassuming, similar to Sinclair in that he's a neat little player. Gets more of the footy than Jack, but less polished
34-A hard working scrappy effort
35-Extremely neat with everything he does, rarely kicks over 30m though. Creative with outstanding vision, he is so clean around the footy. Doesn't probably stand out because he doesn't run with the footy or kick long.
36-Quick, elusive and damaging. He will be the bolster IMO
37-Old fashion footballer, reads the game well, has solid skills, can make some lazy errors and is just not a great athlete. Although, he is quicker than he looks. Will make a very good VFL or Suburban footballer. Not sure he has the running ability to play AFL
38-OK
41-I think is probably the most skilled off the deck, and maybe by foot. He is very quick, very clean and uses it well.
44-Beast of a man, was giving a lot of instruction and is intense

Others
Joyce-Impressive looking athlete, good size and agility but a Long way to go! Defends ok, hands are poor at the moment, and drops marks, kicking hit and miss, and in offence is very unsure. Reminds me of Holmes early doors (but Holmes was 6'8" and could ruck)
Conellan-Smaller, quick small defender, left footer who reads it OK and runs hard.Better kick than Joyce and seems to understand what he's doing. Can still miss simple targets or fumble straight forward balls.
Both Irish guys have sporting and athletic traits, but as far as skill goes, would be behind most local footballers

Three Ruckman
Did all the training, one running drill and then competitive rucking for a long period which involved running, rucking and ground balls
All three were average in the running, but Longer was actually poor. Finished last by a margin. Billy dominated the stoppage rucking, was just too strong. Holmes better at the ground balls, with his hands, he is a very athletic bloke for a 203. Pierce is the only one who can find the footy easy in general play. All 3 have seperate strengths and weaknesses.

Marshall - did not ruck, was forward. Went ok, but was getting the odd spray from Sammy. He moves ok for a big boy.

JBT - ran laps early then went off.

Running - only about half did it
4 races it was on time, bout 1k runs
Won by
Ross, Gilbert, Gilbert, Ross

In probable overall order
Gilbert
Ross
Newnes
Sinclair
Armitage
Acres
At the front

In the middle
Savage
Minchington
Membrey
Geary (Surprising)
Brown 2 runs
Coughlin

At the rear
Pierce 2 runs
Holmes 2 runs
McCartin 2runs
Dunstan (in the final race he finished dead last by over 100m and was about 200 behind Ross)
Longer (in races he did, he was last by 100m)
Thanks for taking the time to post. It's great to get on this site and read a quality report and your opinions and then also to read the replies from tony74 and questions relating to the players from others.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Would people just prefer to hear how wonderful we are?

Or perhaps, just what I saw, with objectivity? What really was the case??

I think I'll just say what I actually see, not what I want to see, and definitely not what people want me to write to make them happy

Tony, the skill level was poor, not 80% the ball was hitting the deck with regularity. No need to worry about the ones that hit the target (they should do at that level) it's the ones that don't that are the issue! look at it from a coaches POV not a supporters and you'd admit, fair bit to work on...

Luke's running ability really correlates with his ability to find the footy. He's just a heavy runner, with little top end speed, and it seems very poor endurance. This is where his improvement MUST come from.

Blake is a natural ball getter, which is good. He kicks floaters, because he lays back on the kick.

I expect backlash after a loss, people are upset. But after a training report, FFS, it's as if I called your kid ugly?!

Maybe a bit of grounding for the supporters is a good thing, reality check probably needed IMO

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Didn't Luke have shoulder surgery? Has he not been able to run since September??

Last season Membrey credited his increased aeobic capacity as his reason for going to the next level. This was due to his shoulder op, and all he could do was running in the pre season?

Skills were poor early on in the session, prior to fatigue being a factor

It was 21 degrees today

Best excuse, no one has even suggested?... It was blustery, which I indicated.

For god sake, it was only a training run, and they weren't impressive... Did I forecast they were going to finish bottom 4?

dragit
Saintsational Legend

I appreciate the report mart anyway, don't worry about it.

elizabethr
Club Player

Good report
Thanks

nothing to say
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

No probs

I won't write fluff to make myself or supporters get anymore excited than what should be the case (from that particular session) If they train the house down, I'd write as much?! I'd like to write that.

The pole smokers on Big Footy are having a field day, which is hilarious

1- because the opinion of a supporter is being carried on about so much

2- because the slightest criticism brings out over the top defensive arguments and they gang up, so funny

A bloke called Savatage has gone on the all out attack, having a real sook over a training report
Reported that I insisted we are crap, we will finish bottom 4, had some cheap shots for me and is almost hysterical in ranting replies.
If it's the same guy who used to post here, I know of him, had a kick with him in social games a decade ago, thought he was a bit of a Heath Black (and a leftie) cheapies are no surprise.

I think I posted that Hickey had well and truly proved me wrong last year? And another good year, will cement him as a top player. Extraordinary from where his performance was mid 2015.

I think Acres is a young gun, has the makings of a star player, never posted much otherwise

Dunstan is a tough, strong kid, unfortunately is very slow. Stephen Powelll like. I still think he's a potential player, has good traits.

Geary finished where he finished... It's that simple. He covered huge KMs in the match sim, perhaps he was rooted?

I am a huge fan of the current list and the senior coach in particular

World isn't ending, we will not win the spoon (injuries permitting)
I just call it as I see it and that's how I saw a training session

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Good post BM. Plenty of effort went in to that.
Extra points for managing to get the term 'pole smokers' in to a thread. I havent heard that one in a while and it made me chuckle.

Long Term Injury
Club Player

Concur.... a fantastic post and thread... many thanks bm. And a good exercise on revising player numbers!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
savatage
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:
A bloke called Savatage has gone on the all out attack, having a real sook over a training report
Reported that I insisted we are crap, we will finish bottom 4, had some cheap shots for me and is almost hysterical in ranting replies.
If it's the same guy who used to post here, I know of him, had a kick with him in social games a decade ago, thought he was a bit of a Heath Black (and a leftie) cheapies are no surprise.
LOL, "all out attack". Knackers, here's the thing - you're now having a whinge that I was having a whinge??!

You've got the thinnest skin imaginable. I've got no problem with having personal views but - you always have an air of being in the know when you actually don't really know.

My comment about us being " bottom 4 " was a complete tongue in cheek message due to the negative slant you always seem to put on things.

If you want to be "the man" , then act like the man but don't act outraged when people don't agree with you all the time.

MC Gusto
Saintsational Legend

Thanks Marto I appreciate the report.

Didn't read into it that the world was ending but certainly read there is a lot of work to do for us to be a serious finals contender and not just making up the numbers

Caveat it was blustery and there were a number of key players not in attendance

Your view of DMac is exciting to say the least

#1 Ryder fan
8856brother
Saintsational Legend

Well done BM. Much prefer an honest appraisal than some of the fluff that gets around. Sounds like we have plenty of work to do. Also know from other comments that they are working pretty hard, which is what we want to hear. Agree with your assessments on Dunstan. Love him to work out because he's tough as nails but he's got to find a way of getting around the ground better. If he cant get faster he must get fitter.

Think you may have 21 & 22 around the wrong way.