The Saints in India.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Saints in India.

WellardSaint wrote:
White Winmar wrote:I was told I can be a bit condescending (that's when you talk down to people).
I find it condescending that you feel you have to explain the meaning of the word!
Or was it addressex to Con Gorozides :D
A very poor pun and attempt at humour on my part WS. One of my worst dad jokes! And that's really saying something! My daughter nearly disowned me over that one when I tried it on her. My apologies! :D

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

desertsaint wrote:good on you white winmar - may just win me over.
Yep, he's wearing me down as well :shock: :?

I hate being sold anything, but this man is presenting some damned convincing logic

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

Warne rather busy at present
doing really well at Aussie millions poker tourney

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

A quick update on the unstoppable advance of the AFL in India!

The development work got more impetus and gathered speed as more support flowed in for Sudip’s endeavours. Rajeev Tharani, the Secretary of Kozhikode District Olympic Association in Kerala and a personality dedicated towards development of 8 different sports in the state, expressed his interest in promoting Aussie Rules Football in his state.Perhaps the most unfathomed, yet welcome support of all came from the Trade Commissioner for Australian Trade Commision in India, Tom Calder. A Footy fanatic and ex-footy player himself, he took out time to personally help Sudip in his efforts, and over the months has developed a fantastic working relationship with the people on-board, especially Sudip.Like most sporting propagation agendas, Footy in India also desired some much needed inspiration from foreign lands, and it duly arrived in the form of Lincoln Harris of Australia Unbound and Rick Shrowder of Global Community Sports, who helped along the development through social angles and education in Mumbai and Madurai respectively. However, the push really came to shove through the sweat and toil of local lad Sudip who travelled his way all around the country, sowing the seeds of Footy and digging out potential takers.30th November 2012 witnessed a momentous event for Footy in India. In a meeting held in Calicut, the decision to form a national federation for Australian Rules Football in India was made and the formalities were taken care of that very day. Mr. P.A.Hamza, Joint Secretary of the Indian Olympic Association, also lent a helping hand and his presence as the President of the Indian federation will surely help the cause. Footy in India has not looked back since.In December 2012, Kozhikode hosted the first National Championship where 5 teams participated. Teams representing Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Kerala contested for the OGM Cup, inaugurated by Dr. Muneer, honourable Minister of Social Welfare and Panchayat, Government of Kerala. The final saw two teams from Kerala fight for the cup, with North Kozhikode Bombers defeating the South Kozhikode Giants to clinch the trophy.
Action during the inaugural National Championship AFL India-OGM Cup at Calicut in November 2012 Action during the inaugural National Championship AFL India-OGM Cup at Calicut in December 2012
Recent development has seen AFL-India spreading its wings to Gujarat where the interest in the sport has reached the pinnacle of political setup with the Chief Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi, himself expressing his desire to facilitate developments. The past few weeks have also seen significant progress regarding financial support and professional setup.The present may leave much to the imagination but the steady progress is a mark for a brighter future and it is the belief to challenge the best in the sport that will surely drive the likes of Sudip and co. into bigger, swifter developments.

I'm excited! :) :) :)

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The club has indicated it is interested!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:The club has indicated it is interested!
We stuffed up the Tassie experiment; I expect Finnis to be as cunning as the proverbial...and India could well prove the watershed moment
when all the planets start lining up.
Cannot wait

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Namaste, sainters!

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

If we ever needed more motivation, the AFL is supporting a feasibility study by the dopers to play an exhibition game in India, with a view to gauging interest there. There was a local MP in Cranbourne who went to Sri Lanka to conduct a similar study. He failed to attract any interest. It's now come to light that he is of Sri Lankan origin and and is under investigation for using the trip as a junket to visit friends and family. The trip cost plenty and he allegedly had one meeting with a politician to justify his trip. Bloody politicians!

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:If we ever needed more motivation, the AFL is supporting a feasibility study by the dopers to play an exhibition game in India, with a view to gauging interest there. There was a local MP in Cranbourne who went to Sri Lanka to conduct a similar study. He failed to attract any interest. It's now come to light that he is of Sri Lankan origin and and is under investigation for using the trip as a junket to visit friends and family. The trip cost plenty and he allegedly had one meeting with a politician to justify his trip. Bloody politicians!
The AFL has always done these exhibition games. If they get sponsers signed up who wants to promote in that overseas country, I guess they probably don't cost too much and are seen as a low risk "dip the toe in the water" affair that encourages a segment of the market they want to bring into the game eg Indians in this case.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

If we ever needed more motivation, the AFL is supporting a feasibility study by the dopers to play an exhibition game in India, with a view to gauging interest there. There was a local MP in Cranbourne who went to Sri Lanka to conduct a similar study. He failed to attract any interest. It's now come to light that he is of Sri Lankan origin and and is under investigation for using the trip as a junket to visit friends and family. The trip cost plenty and he allegedly had one meeting with a politician to justify his trip. Bloody politicians!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:If we ever needed more motivation, the AFL is supporting a feasibility study by the dopers to play an exhibition game in India, with a view to gauging interest there. There was a local MP in Cranbourne who went to Sri Lanka to conduct a similar study. He failed to attract any interest. It's now come to light that he is of Sri Lankan origin and and is under investigation for using the trip as a junket to visit friends and family. The trip cost plenty and he allegedly had one meeting with a politician to justify his trip. Bloody politicians!
Having been to Sri Lanka I can confirm that any suggestion of an AFL game there is completely ludicrous and the politician involved should be charged.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Indeed, Con. Purely a family junket. The Dopers approach to the Indian government is serious. I'd hate them to get anything out of the deal before us.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:A quick update on the unstoppable advance of the AFL in India!

The development work got more impetus and gathered speed as more support flowed in for Sudip’s endeavours. Rajeev Tharani, the Secretary of Kozhikode District Olympic Association in Kerala and a personality dedicated towards development of 8 different sports in the state, expressed his interest in promoting Aussie Rules Football in his state.Perhaps the most unfathomed, yet welcome support of all came from the Trade Commissioner for Australian Trade Commision in India, Tom Calder. A Footy fanatic and ex-footy player himself, he took out time to personally help Sudip in his efforts, and over the months has developed a fantastic working relationship with the people on-board, especially Sudip.Like most sporting propagation agendas, Footy in India also desired some much needed inspiration from foreign lands, and it duly arrived in the form of Lincoln Harris of Australia Unbound and Rick Shrowder of Global Community Sports, who helped along the development through social angles and education in Mumbai and Madurai respectively. However, the push really came to shove through the sweat and toil of local lad Sudip who travelled his way all around the country, sowing the seeds of Footy and digging out potential takers.30th November 2012 witnessed a momentous event for Footy in India. In a meeting held in Calicut, the decision to form a national federation for Australian Rules Football in India was made and the formalities were taken care of that very day. Mr. P.A.Hamza, Joint Secretary of the Indian Olympic Association, also lent a helping hand and his presence as the President of the Indian federation will surely help the cause. Footy in India has not looked back since.In December 2012, Kozhikode hosted the first National Championship where 5 teams participated. Teams representing Maharashtra, Tamil Nadu and Kerala contested for the OGM Cup, inaugurated by Dr. Muneer, honourable Minister of Social Welfare and Panchayat, Government of Kerala. The final saw two teams from Kerala fight for the cup, with North Kozhikode Bombers defeating the South Kozhikode Giants to clinch the trophy.
Action during the inaugural National Championship AFL India-OGM Cup at Calicut in November 2012 Action during the inaugural National Championship AFL India-OGM Cup at Calicut in December 2012
Recent development has seen AFL-India spreading its wings to Gujarat where the interest in the sport has reached the pinnacle of political setup with the Chief Minister, Mr. Narendra Modi, himself expressing his desire to facilitate developments. The past few weeks have also seen significant progress regarding financial support and professional setup.The present may leave much to the imagination but the steady progress is a mark for a brighter future and it is the belief to challenge the best in the sport that will surely drive the likes of Sudip and co. into bigger, swifter developments.

I'm excited! :) :) :)
Your excited about an article from 2013??

Sorry but I gotta pour some yoghurt on this hot little fahl of an idea

Unless a player of Indian decent cracks the AFL nothing will happen - and even if one did ............ nothing will happen!

Peace on Earth might be easier to obtain :twisted:

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

The article was a bit of a piss take, but the current project involves Essendope and the AFL and looks serious. We should try and curry the AF's favour on this one!

HitTheBoundary
SS Hall of Fame

Delhi and every large city has worse smog than Beijing.
Then there's the risk to the players health - disease etc.
Did you say play in monsoon? Massive humidity and heat. Only chance would be to play at this time of year in the North.
Indian kids play cricket and soccer - which is on TV. AFL is not on TV.

Good off season thread. But not sure if serious..?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Not completely tongue in cheek, HTB. It appears the AFL is interested in the idea. There are massive logistical challenges, but even one game a year would probably give us a massive financial windfall.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Best we just concentrate on fixing up our own backyard first keeping one eye on the Cup

Since it was touted by Richmond five years back absolutely nothing has happened - the AFL cant even crack NZ

I like your enthusiasm WW but India is not ready for AFL and AFL is definitely not suited to India

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

It's a fair cop, guv. But you've got to dream big!

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Port Power is playing GCS in China in Rd 8.
This year.
Geepers

They "bought" a GC home game to do it.
The funny thing is, GC home game means Red n Gold home strip- China's national colours.
So it's like Sth Africa rugby playing here in their Green n Gold.
Haha :D
Anyways...we better get onto India before it slips away :o