I'm famous. I went to school with...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: I'm famous. I went to school with...

loris wrote:2 notables I also went to high school with were:

Keith Ryrie.......... luckily the monster was expelled after year 8 (I think it was). He murdered two young girls in 1966. Maureen Ferrari (aged 18), Rhonda Irwin (aged5).
During his teenage years he'd been on rape charges.... but of course the criminal justice system, slapped him over the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf on 2 separate occasions. Possibly if he'd been locked away then those two girls might be alive today. At school, we kids knew he was a bad egg........ a real bully, one would steer well clear of Keith Ryrie. His younger brother Colin was also a convicted paedophile, tho he never went to our school

Patti McGrath .... known to most as Patti Newton. Patti only lasted one year at high school - think her mum and dad thought it was a bit too rough (they were correct) and young Patti went off to a catholic convent!!!!!

Yeah. Knew both Ryrie and Patti growing up.

Ryrie was 3 or 4 years older than me but at some stage we went to the same college.

Can stil picture the red headed little prick walking up the other side of High Street towards Warrigul Road.

Must have been about the time of one of the rape charges as it wouldn't have stuck with me otherwise.

He also confessed to killing to two young girl hitch hikers on the road to Geelong, but I dont remember him doing additinal time for those killings.

I went to primary school with Patti. Think she was a couple of classes below me.

But i can remember dancing with her , barn dance from memory, at the St Michaels school hall where regular dances were held.

Later more jazz type dances. Often saw her at church.

She was a bit stuck up as she was a Happy Hammond dancer from a very young age. Well known .

Hal Todd lived close nearby and when he started having a very public affair with Honi Fregar, his boys got into regular fights sticking up for him.

Brendon Edwards also went to ourchurch. Real asshole posser.

Played under 17 's footy against Johnny Famachon, big Carl and Ian Cooper in the sth eastern league.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Sainternist wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:Errol Flynn went to my school.....really. Got expelled for a liaison with the daughter of a school official.

A bit before my time of course!
I take it you went to school in Tassie?
Sydney. Melbourne in primary school, but secondary school in Sydney. Errol lived in Sydney as a teenager.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

If it's AFL connections, I didn't go to school with them, but I played cricket in the same team. James Brayshaw, Karl Langdon and Don Pyke. And I was captain if you can believe that. During my Perth stint in the late eighties.

loris
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
loris wrote:2 notables I also went to high school with were:

Keith Ryrie.......... luckily the monster was expelled after year 8 (I think it was). He murdered two young girls in 1966. Maureen Ferrari (aged 18), Rhonda Irwin (aged5).
During his teenage years he'd been on rape charges.... but of course the criminal justice system, slapped him over the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf on 2 separate occasions. Possibly if he'd been locked away then those two girls might be alive today. At school, we kids knew he was a bad egg........ a real bully, one would steer well clear of Keith Ryrie. His younger brother Colin was also a convicted paedophile, tho he never went to our school

Patti McGrath .... known to most as Patti Newton. Patti only lasted one year at high school - think her mum and dad thought it was a bit too rough (they were correct) and young Patti went off to a catholic convent!!!!!

Yeah. Knew both Ryrie and Patti growing up.

Ryrie was 3 or 4 years older than me but at some stage we went to the same college.

Can stil picture the red headed little prick walking up the other side of High Street towards Warrigul Road.

Must have been about the time of one of the rape charges as it wouldn't have stuck with me otherwise.

He also confessed to killing to two young girl hitch hikers on the road to Geelong, but I dont remember him doing additinal time for those killings.

I went to primary school with Patti. Think she was a couple of classes below me.

But i can remember dancing with her , barn dance from memory, at the St Michaels school hall where regular dances were held.

Later more jazz type dances. Often saw her at church.

She was a bit stuck up as she was a Happy Hammond dancer from a very young age. Well known .

Hal Todd lived close nearby and when he started having a very public affair with Honi Fregar, his boys got into regular fights sticking up for him.

Brendon Edwards also went to ourchurch. Real asshole posser.

Played under 17 's footy against Johnny Famachon, big Carl and Ian Cooper in the sth eastern league.
Surely we must have crossed paths in our younger days saynta? . We had contact with so many of the same individuals.

You must have lived in Ashburton - as Hal Todd lived there.

Now you mention Honi Fregar - here is another co-incidence. My late husband had an affair with her :shock: :shock: Ofcourse, this was years before he met me.!!!!! It was the cause in the breakdown of his first marriage.

He ended up splashed all over the front page of The Truth newspaper - Top Detective in love tryst with Honi Freger - or so the headline went. When he was telling me about that time in his life, he said his pride took a hellva dint, as he thought Honi was his and his alone, then it comes out that she was on with that little idiot Hal Todd at the same time.!!!!
I told him it served him right, as he was cheating on his first wife. :lol: :lol:

Honi must have been a real good time girl. I can recall seeing her on TV and in magazines, she was a stunning looking woman, and we know that you men get led along by what is near your 'short and curlies' :wink: :wink:

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Loris, did Hal Todd work in TV? I am not old enough to have seen him, but I know the name, I think he introduced movies on Channel 0

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
loris
Saintsational Legend

WellardSaint wrote:Loris, did Hal Todd work in TV? I am not old enough to have seen him, but I know the name, I think he introduced movies on Channel 0
Yes he used to be on In Melbourne Tonight (Channel 9) with Graham Kennedy, Bert Newton etc. I think he may have compared a few TV shows of his own. After TV, he was with a radio station for years doing an overnight program I think.

I only ever saw him on In Melbourne Tonight - where like most others on IMT, if they weren't singers or dancers, they were simply stooges and fodder for 'The King', Graham Kennedy's off beat humour & ascerbic wit.

IanRush
SS Hall of Fame

I did year 12 with Danny Stevens, brother of Nick Stevens and recruited by North in late 1994.

I worked with John Moylan (ex North) and work with Glenn Hawker (ESS) from time to time.

My high school principal was ex ESS player Ken Fraser.

USELESS FACT: The WADA case against Essendon (in Sydney as well) is exactly 10 years to the day that Australia qualified for the 2006 FIFA World Cup.
saints66
Club Player

WellardSaint wrote:Loris, did Hal Todd work in TV? I am not old enough to have seen him, but I know the name, I think he introduced movies on Channel 0
Did a lot of radio work and compare stuff. I remember him from his Night Owl Theatre. Used to start about 11 pm and he would show a movie and it would finish at any old time in the wee hours of the morning. Every 30 minutes he would stop the movie and advertise, chat etc for an hour. Leon the Watch King at Golden Casket Jewellers, Frank Cotso and more would fill in the morning hours. He also introduced Deadly Earnest to the screen. A spooky, scary man that originally would create fear untold at 2 in the morning. Was always the consummate performer and never a loss for words. I dont think I saw too many movies to the end and in those days with the Saints a winning powerful team there was little time for watching TV on a Saturday night.

Mark
Club Player

Does Dr Spaceman count as a somebody ?
I also went to Bentleigh West Primary 1963-1969.
I went to Bentleigh West Primary 1967 to 1968 when we transferred to Melbourne from Brisbane.
I've loved the Saints ever since and have never stopped following them.We transferred to Sydney
in 1969.I never went to school with any famous Saints players but I did get run out onto Moorabbin
Oval as a 7/8 year old in 1967/1968!

Grrrrr
Club Player

tgf wrote:I went to high school with Costas and Louis Mandalor the Hollywood actors as well as Bill Stellios the weightlifter.
Grubby Allen was the PE teacher there for a while.
What school is that? Elwood High School by chance?
Used to be an old wives' tale floating around that one of the teachers went beyond her call of duty and participated in extra-curricular activities with Costas.

tgf
Club Player

Yes it was Elwood high
Lots of rumours about a specific teacher Miss G but I do not believe them I think it was more all the guys wanting it to be true

minneapolis
Club Player

Grrrrr wrote:
minneapolis wrote:I have been inspired by Loris' wonderful story of growing up with the Barrot boys.

Thanks Loris. It was fantastic.

But I am also famous. Well maybe a tad. Perhaps a microbit.

I went to school with Gary Rosewarne, who was the son of Keith Rosewarne, a prodigiously talented St Kilda rover.

And to add shine to my famosity, my brother went to school with Daryl Somers. I believe he was named Schultz back then.

(We have to get thru the off season some how).
I played a couple of season's with Gary at Elsternwick many moons ago :)
Gary was a fantastic person. Very genuine and friendly. No airs or graces, very down to earth. He was fun to be around. Lost rack of him many moons ago. Did he have kids?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
minneapolis
Club Player

Pwoit wrote:I grew up next door to Paul Salmon, also school with Gary O'donnell. Played cricket with Dean Bailey(RIP) and cricket against Peter Banfield.
Pwoit,

I suppose you looked up to Paul then.

minneapolis
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:I went to school and played schoolboy footy with Darren Millane
Hey Doggie,

I always wondered what Darren was like? Probably a great guy to play football with.

minneapolis
Club Player

Premium89 wrote:I worked at a bakery with the bloke who's now the new purple wiggle.
Overtime?

minneapolis
Club Player

Verdun66 wrote:Errol Flynn went to my school.....really. Got expelled for a liaison with the daughter of a school official.

He must have thought "I'm in here", and that's where it started.

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

minneapolis wrote:

He was a bad boy. In like Flynn. The saying is still used, you're right!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:
minneapolis wrote:

Sounds like he was 'in and out' with the official's daughter. Clearly a man of true talent.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Verdun66 wrote:
minneapolis wrote:

Sounds like he was 'in and out' with the official's daughter. Clearly a man of true talent.

With well know hidden endowments.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

saints66 wrote:
Did a lot of radio work and compare stuff. I remember him from his Night Owl Theatre. Used to start about 11 pm and he would show a movie and it would finish at any old time in the wee hours of the morning. Every 30 minutes he would stop the movie and advertise, chat etc for an hour. Leon the Watch King at Golden Casket Jewellers, Frank Cotso and more would fill in the morning hours. He also introduced Deadly Earnest to the screen. A spooky, scary man that originally would create fear untold at 2 in the morning. Was always the consummate performer and never a loss for words. I dont think I saw too many movies to the end and in those days with the Saints a winning powerful team there was little time for watching TV on a Saturday night.
Cheers for the info :D
I am actually old enough to remember Deadly Earnest, and I recall his job was presenting horror/ghost movies. On school nights...Tuesday night, if I remember? I used to get in trouble for staying up past bedtime. Or maybe it was weekends, it was such a long long time ago in the late 60's or early 70's.
I had no idea Franco Cozzo was that far back "Northa Melbourne, and Footiscray, and now in Brunsawick " Franco got in trouble for importing couches/lounge suites with a little bit extra hidden in the legs...or is that just a nasty urban legend? :mrgreen: :shock:

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Not an urban legend, WS. I remember seeing a mug shot of the young Franco at Russell Street in 1982. Young Italian stallion with a jet black, Elvis like quiff. Photo taken after he was charged with importing uncle dougs in furniture and handling stolen goods. Into stolen cars as well, I was told. And not just in Norta Melbum and Footascray.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Gotta love this site.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I played at the same baseball club as Martin Heppell when he was playing for St.Kilda. He was a pretty good ballplayer too.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
saints66
Club Player

White Winmar wrote:Not an urban legend, WS. I remember seeing a mug shot of the young Franco at Russell Street in 1982. Young Italian stallion with a jet black, Elvis like quiff. Photo taken after he was charged with importing uncle dougs in furniture and handling stolen goods. Into stolen cars as well, I was told. And not just in Norta Melbum and Footascray.
I think you will find that Franco was never involved with drugs or in trouble with the law. Many thought he was because he stopped advertising at one stage and people though he had gone to jail. One of his sons, Lou, went to jail in 1995 and has recently been in court for threatening his father over a $400 claim.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Rick Mitchell the 400 metre Olympian (Springvale High). He repeated year 11 from what I recall - was too busy training.
Also, Robert Kabbas the weightlifter/Olympian -- when we were at Caulfield High School (year 7 and 8), now Glen Eira College, I think?

Amazing artist is Robert Kabbas, using pencil or pen -- he could just draw anything from his imagination. I think he works as a graphic artist now and is still actively involved in weightlifting.

The good old days.