I'm famous. I went to school with...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saints66
Club Player

Re: I'm famous. I went to school with...

Bernard Shakey wrote:
minneapolis wrote:I have been inspired by Loris' wonderful story of growing up with the Barrot boys.

Thanks Loris. It was fantastic.

But I am also famous. Well maybe a tad. Perhaps a microbit.

I went to school with Gary Rosewarne, who was the son of Keith Rosewarne, a prodigiously talented St Kilda rover.

And to add shine to my famosity, my brother went to school with Daryl Somers. I believe he was named Schultz back then.

(We have to get thru the off season some how).
CBC St Kilda!

Me too. I was there with John Killigrew son of Alan, and Bernie Valance son of Soapy who was a hundred goal full forward for Carlton.
Daryl Schultz was a few years behind me, and Eddie Everywhere many years behind.

Wow what year? My sister used to go out with Bernie. I finished at CBC in 1966. We had Paddy Murphy. a skilful rover, who unfortunately only played one game for St Kilda in 1966 after losing his contact lens in the first quarter and was so afraid to tell anyone he played through the rest of the game not able to see the ball. Could have been a Saints hero and played in a premiership but alas not many would know him outside his friends. John Murnane was another player who was asked to leave in Year 12 because he was signed for Melbourne in 1966 and they insisted that he not play for his school side and the brothers insisted that he did so he was forced to complete his matric at Taylors College in town
Last edited by saints66 on Fri 09 Dec 2016 12:00am, edited 1 time in total.

saints66
Club Player

loris wrote:2 notables I also went to high school with were:

Keith Ryrie.......... luckily the monster was expelled after year 8 (I think it was). He murdered two young girls in 1966. Maureen Ferrari (aged 18), Rhonda Irwin (aged5).
During his teenage years he'd been on rape charges.... but of course the criminal justice system, slapped him over the wrist with a wet lettuce leaf on 2 separate occasions. Possibly if he'd been locked away then those two girls might be alive today. At school, we kids knew he was a bad egg........ a real bully, one would steer well clear of Keith Ryrie. His younger brother Colin was also a convicted paedophile, tho he never went to our school

Patti McGrath .... known to most as Patti Newton. Patti only lasted one year at high school - think her mum and dad thought it was a bit too rough (they were correct) and young Patti went off to a catholic convent!!!!!
so when people say that we need to go back to the tough old days and sentence criminals seriously like we did in the 50s and 60s it is really a myth.

saints66
Club Player

Although I love the Saints and been a supporter since 1960, my real claim to fame (haha) is going to Primary School with the BEEGEES. I was in Grade 4 with Maurice and Robin and my sister in Grade 5 with Barry. My mum used to babysit Andy and our families were close. They went home to England and my family went to Melbourne where we lived in StKilda and I grew up at the Junction Oval and found a love for the Saints.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:Although I love the Saints and been a supporter since 1960, my real claim to fame (haha) is going to Primary School with the BEEGEES. I was in Grade 4 with Maurice and Robin and my sister in Grade 5 with Barry. My mum used to babysit Andy and our families were close. They went home to England and my family went to Melbourne where we lived in StKilda and I grew up at the Junction Oval and found a love for the Saints.
I think your story takes the cake.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
samuraisaint
Saintsational Legend

I went to school with Stewie Loewe.

Your friendly neighbourhood samurai.
GRAMophone
Club Player

Dr Spaceman wrote:
GRAMophone wrote:
cwrcyn wrote:Darren Millane.... although he was a couple of years younger than me. Not a friend, but he was a classmate of a couple of fiends of mine. His older brother, John, was a much better footballer. Also, former Richmond president Gary March was in my year level, but again, not a friend.
Mmmmm - we must be about the same age (pretty old). I went through primary school with Gary March. Was a pretty cheeky kid too. Bentleigh West Primary in Brewer Rd.
Went to Bentleigh West Primary from 1963 to 1969 so perhaps a few years older than you.

No footballers spring to mind although I was in the same class as a kid who I later found out went on to become a male model and to father Holly and Olympia Valance Image
Yes - you would be closer in age to my older brother (Fidelis), who also posts on this forum. But I imagine you were the handsome, scholarly fellow in the white coat who won the ' Temperance' prize each year?

HOPELESSLY DEVOTED
loris
Saintsational Legend

Peter Bell, ex-Freo & North footballer or his producer must have been reading Saintsational.

Belly is nowadays a radio announcer on the breakfast program on ABC radio. Listening this morning to his program, Belly has posed the question....... Who is the most famous kid you went to school with? Listeners are ringing in and texting all the people they went to school with. Not as widespread as ours I may say!

Did they get the idea off Minneapolis' post...............hmmmn??

noddy04
Club Player

saints66 wrote:Although I love the Saints and been a supporter since 1960, my real claim to fame (haha) is going to Primary School with the BEEGEES. I was in Grade 4 with Maurice and Robin and my sister in Grade 5 with Barry. My mum used to babysit Andy and our families were close. They went home to England and my family went to Melbourne where we lived in StKilda and I grew up at the Junction Oval and found a love for the Saints.

Yeah you win saints 66 :D :D :D

tgf
Club Player

I went to high school with Costas and Louis Mandalor the Hollywood actors as well as Bill Stellios the weightlifter.
Grubby Allen was the PE teacher there for a while.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

saints66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:
minneapolis wrote:I have been inspired by Loris' wonderful story of growing up with the Barrot boys.

I went to school with Gary Rosewarne, who was the son of Keith Rosewarne, a prodigiously talented St Kilda rover.

And to add shine to my famosity, my brother went to school with Daryl Somers. I believe he was named Schultz back then.

CBC St Kilda!

Me too. I was there with John Killigrew son of Alan, and Bernie Valance son of Soapy who was a hundred goal full forward for Carlton.
Daryl Schultz was a few years behind me, and Eddie Everywhere many years behind.

Wow what year? My sister used to go out with Bernie. I finished at CBC in 1966. We had Paddy Murphy. a skilful rover, who unfortunately only played one game for St Kilda in 1966 after losing his contact lens in the first quarter and was so afraid to tell anyone he played through the rest of the game not able to see the ball. Could have been a Saints hero and played in a premiership but alas not many would know him outside his friends. John Murnane was another player who was asked to leave in Year 12 because he was signed for Melbourne in 1966 and they insisted that he not play for his school side and the brothers insisted that he did so he was forced to complete his matric at Taylors College in town
Yep '66!
We may have been in the same classroom. I've still got the Loquax Ludis '63 to '66.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

saynta wrote:
happy feet wrote:I went to school with P66 and the Fidge brothers.

P66 come back, all is forgiven.
I have cousins who are cousins of the Fidge brothers.

Thankfully I am not related to plugga 66, and I hope he never returns ,

Oh and I went to school with three or four VFL footballers including a guy who went on to captain the filth.
I worked with John Fidge's cousin about 20 years ago. Outstanding and amusing bloke. I wonder if he's your cousin? Does your cousins first name start with R and is he a devoted Collingwood supporter?

saints66
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:
saints66 wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:

CBC St Kilda!

Yep '66!
We may have been in the same classroom. I've still got the Loquax Ludis '63 to '66.

Small world

wally
Club Player

Does Dr Spaceman count as a somebody ?
I also went to Bentleigh West Primary 1963-1969.

st.rick
Club Player

Didn't go to school with him but Plugger used to go to my then g/f now wifes place to help her dad with his greyhounds. then one night when we where out at Hot Gossip he tried chatting her up we where 3 years older than him. she told him to stop being silly.
ps now she probably wishes she took his advance on she'd be pretty rich!

Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Sainter_Dad wrote:Our primary school football team was smashed by one Dean Anderson. I then ended up going to secondary school with him. There was also a guy who went on to play for Melbourne - and of course a couple of famous ones followed after I had left - C ....... Judd and B Goddard.
Yep, I was lucky enough to take the field with both Judd and BJ at CGS.. unfortunately it was on the cricket field. I was an abysmal footballer.

Outside of School - and many moons ago, I used to sit with Dad, Barry Breen et al as they played cards at the Squash Courts. I was a little tacker then though.

“Youth ages, immaturity is outgrown, ignorance can be educated, and drunkenness sobered, but stupid lasts forever.”

― Aristophanes

If you have a Bee in your Bonnet - I can assist you with that - but it WILL involve some smacking upside the head!
zebraman
Club Player

I went to school with Vicki Broughton from Young Talent Time

Peter Bell who played 30 odd games for St Kilda in the 70's

And Lea Parker who married Dennis Goodrem and had a daughter who could sing a bit

We were all in the same class at some stage I think

" The universal aptitude for ineptitude makes any human accomplishment an incredible miracle "
saint64
Club Player

Dougie Barwick is about as close as I get - although I was a couple of years behind him. Our footy coach was Barry Lawrence's brother, Casey. I did use to work with a young David Boon if that counts!

Schillaci
Club Player

Aldo Di Peta...year below me.
Silvio Foschini...few years above.
Played under 15s against Jason Daniels who must have had 60 possies... the ball was always in his hands.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Schillaci wrote:Aldo Di Peta...year below me.
Silvio Foschini...few years above.
Played under 15s against Jason Daniels who must have had 60 possies... the ball was always in his hands.
and to think he never learnt to kick!

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

zebraman wrote:I went to school with Vicki Broughton from Young Talent Time
Hahahaha I spent one year of high school with Jamie from Young Talent Time. He wasn't that into footy around then, but had been in the Carlton cheer squad as a kid.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Errol Flynn went to my school.....really. Got expelled for a liaison with the daughter of a school official.

A bit before my time of course!

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

Verdun66 wrote:Errol Flynn went to my school.....really. Got expelled for a liaison with the daughter of a school official.

A bit before my time of course!
I take it you went to school in Tassie?

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Linton Lodger wrote:
saynta wrote:
happy feet wrote:I went to school with P66 and the Fidge brothers.

P66 come back, all is forgiven.
I have cousins who are cousins of the Fidge brothers.

Thankfully I am not related to plugga 66, and I hope he never returns ,

Oh and I went to school with three or four VFL footballers including a guy who went on to captain the filth.
I worked with John Fidge's cousin about 20 years ago. Outstanding and amusing bloke. I wonder if he's your cousin? Does your cousins first name start with R and is he a devoted Collingwood supporter?

Yes. Starts with R

saynta
Saintsational Legend

And Lea Parker who married Dennis Goodrem and had a daughter who could sing a bit

One of my nieces wemt to school with Delta and they played netball or softball together.

Mum was /is a control freak.

Not a nice person according to my sister.

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:

One of my nieces wemt to school with Delta and they played netball or softball together.

Mum was /is a control freak.

Not a nice person according to my sister.
Anyone who would be in a relationship with the likes of Mark Philippoussis can't be a nice person, Saynta.
Last edited by Sainternist on Sat 10 Dec 2016 4:58pm, edited 1 time in total.