Interesting, as per usual...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Interesting, as per usual...

Speaking of the draft of course...

Decided to return for a one off post (of course I read occasionally) and comment on the ND. Some of the infamous posts I've made over the journey have been wrt commenting straight after the draft. So why disappoint?!

Bit of a history lesson first,

We might recall (long time posters anyway)
My comments on Brad Howard immediately after being drafted. I was roundly smashed for suggesting he was not up to it... It was deemed I wasn't allowed to make such a call? Even though I am related to one of his direct opponents from the championships who kicked goals on him and said he was clueless as a footballer but fit. Using 26 on him was Ludicrous!!!

My comments on Justin Sweeney. A bit like above, in the fact I knew opponents of him, playing in his league who said he was a bogan pisshead who smoked and loved bongs. To pick him (on someone's say so) ahead of kids who had worked their arse off was a disgrace IMO. But opinion was shut down!

Arryn Sippos - I actually said nothing that negative about Arryn as I was so happy we'd given him a go... Of course I knew him well. Natural footballer, average athlete. I stated he was silky with great hands, beatific kick and plenty of courage, but lacked work rate when it got tough... This sentiment shared by some stingray team mates. But of course his dad, who for some reason had automatic credibility, came on here and had a rant... Which didn't surprise me at all, knowing him.

Photogate! Still infamous, even mentioned this draft night on BF when Ed Sullivan was taken. Referenced of course to me not being happy that we reached and took a somewhat surprise at pick 24 in Jamie Cripps, as I was pumped that Darling had made it past 23 and local boy Luke Parker was still there. I quipped "no photo, surprise" immediately after being called out, more of a frustrated comment about him perhaps not being not well known rather than not being any good, and a shot at our recruiters not taking the obvious. That of course got turned into if you have no photo you are hopeless... Yada yada yada... My further take on Cripps being a soft c*ck after watching him pull out in two contests in the VFL poured further petrol on the 'Photo' comment. It was a knee jerk comment, overplayed.

My lashing of the list managers in 2009 and 2010! We were at the top, so apparently no one could criticise and we were allowed to top up with rubbish, blow picks and ignore the future so desperate we were to win a GF (it shows we actually didn't know how to build to a flag as a club at that point and wanted the easy answer) Ball, Cousins, Maguire, Polo, Pattison and a few other decisions at that time - Horrendous!!! Apparently I was wrong?

Since then

A disgusting Pelchen, SW era which was similarly helpful as the Watson era. So thanks, mediocrity has its benefits!

Finally
Ameet, Trout have been perhaps the best in the business IMO with dealings and strike rate
Alan Richardson is probably there too IMO

So,

Since many on here love to, and need to tear anyone with a contrast opinion a new one, I thought I'd give them a new opportunity... Especially that poster who had the courage to give me a send off when I stated I was having a spell...

My thoughts on 2016

No surprise we took a surprise at 25, l actually did LoL when he got called out... However most actual hopefuls had gone, so we only really overlooked Bolten (another tiny runner) from popular pundits choice. To see we went to the VTL and grabbed a guy no one took in two drafts in his actual draft year at our first was interesting?... Remembering he played at the champs as an over aged this year. But he did develop a massive amount!! He has the typical indigenous attributes, with a fanatic attack on the ball and the man!! He has grown, I reckon too small to be considered last year at 176 and 61kg. Was he taken too early, if we rated him at that point and thought other might also (dogs) he was a good selection! I like the look of him.

Battle is being overrated. Although also good selection at that pick. There were a number of availables at that pick who were also good value (Graham) but he was a better need pick IMO given we have tall forward lack of depth (not in the seniors, who plays CHF at Sandy ATM?) there is no back up key fwd after Roo?! The term slider is intersting? Slider to who? Draft experts?? Because he went were he went for a reason... Others were preferred. He has some major flaws as highlighted.
You cannot say on one hand, We didn't overpay for Long but got Battle as a bargain?... Because obviously you just going by popular opinion and then you'd be contradicting yourself. But recruiters set the actual price of a recruit, not draft experts... Only hindsight changes the value. Long was worth 25, Battle 39. According to reality.

Ed is a speculative pick, but a good one. Funny thing is, he'll have a spot on the list and NOK won't who is better at this stage. He is a typical late pick rookie, but I really like his attributes! Has speed, awareness and talent. Good size and athleticism. He could be a beauty, or nothing... But that's what a late pick is.

Good luck to all of them, hope they get a career out of the game, and become great saints.

Sorry to disappoint and not bag the club too much... Not anything to criticise really? If the were, I would! If it weren't for GWS I'd being making a huge call right now!!! We are in good hands.

Bye now

PS
Sorry about the long dribble post - bored waiting for the cricket!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Interesting, as per usual...

Well done BM.
Good post with some nice historical references.

A good test match this one. Is Adelaide now the spiritual home for true Test cricket fans?
Sure the MCG has 'boxing day' buut when was the last time there was an interesting MCG Test?
Not since 1998 by my reckoning. Almost 20 years.
http://stats.espncricinfo.com/ci/engine ... ype=ground

evo
Club Player

BigMart wrote:Speaking of the draft of course...

Decided to return for a one off post (of course I read occasionally) and comment on the ND. Some of the infamous posts I've made over the journey have been wrt commenting straight after the draft. So why disappoint?!

Bit of a history lesson first,

We might recall (long time posters anyway)
My comments on Brad Howard immediately after being drafted. I was roundly smashed for suggesting he was not up to it... It was deemed I wasn't allowed to make such a call? Even though I am related to one of his direct opponents from the championships who kicked goals on him and said he was clueless as a footballer but fit. Using 26 on him was Ludicrous!!!

My comments on Justin Sweeney. A bit like above, in the fact I knew opponents of him, playing in his league who said he was a bogan pisshead who smoked and loved bongs. To pick him (on someone's say so) ahead of kids who had worked their arse off was a disgrace IMO. But opinion was shut down!

Arryn Sippos - I actually said nothing that negative about Arryn as I was so happy we'd given him a go... Of course I knew him well. Natural footballer, average athlete. I stated he was silky with great hands, beatific kick and plenty of courage, but lacked work rate when it got tough... This sentiment shared by some stingray team mates. But of course his dad, who for some reason had automatic credibility, came on here and had a rant... Which didn't surprise me at all, knowing him.

Photogate! Still infamous, even mentioned this draft night on BF when Ed Sullivan was taken. Referenced of course to me not being happy that we reached and took a somewhat surprise at pick 24 in Jamie Cripps, as I was pumped that Darling had made it past 23 and local boy Luke Parker was still there. I quipped "no photo, surprise" immediately after being called out, more of a frustrated comment about him perhaps not being not well known rather than not being any good, and a shot at our recruiters not taking the obvious. That of course got turned into if you have no photo you are hopeless... Yada yada yada... My further take on Cripps being a soft c*ck after watching him pull out in two contests in the VFL poured further petrol on the 'Photo' comment. It was a knee jerk comment, overplayed.

My lashing of the list managers in 2009 and 2010! We were at the top, so apparently no one could criticise and we were allowed to top up with rubbish, blow picks and ignore the future so desperate we were to win a GF (it shows we actually didn't know how to build to a flag as a club at that point and wanted the easy answer) Ball, Cousins, Maguire, Polo, Pattison and a few other decisions at that time - Horrendous!!! Apparently I was wrong?

Since then

A disgusting Pelchen, SW era which was similarly helpful as the Watson era. So thanks, mediocrity has its benefits!

Finally
Ameet, Trout have been perhaps the best in the business IMO with dealings and strike rate
Alan Richardson is probably there too IMO

So,

Since many on here love to, and need to tear anyone with a contrast opinion a new one, I thought I'd give them a new opportunity... Especially that poster who had the courage to give me a send off when I stated I was having a spell...

My thoughts on 2016

No surprise we took a surprise at 25, l actually did LoL when he got called out... However most actual hopefuls had gone, so we only really overlooked Bolten (another tiny runner) from popular pundits choice. To see we went to the VTL and grabbed a guy no one took in two drafts in his actual draft year at our first was interesting?... Remembering he played at the champs as an over aged this year. But he did develop a massive amount!! He has the typical indigenous attributes, with a fanatic attack on the ball and the man!! He has grown, I reckon too small to be considered last year at 176 and 61kg. Was he taken too early, if we rated him at that point and thought other might also (dogs) he was a good selection! I like the look of him.

Battle is being overrated. Although also good selection at that pick. There were a number of availables at that pick who were also good value (Graham) but he was a better need pick IMO given we have tall forward lack of depth (not in the seniors, who plays CHF at Sandy ATM?) there is no back up key fwd after Roo?! The term slider is intersting? Slider to who? Draft experts?? Because he went were he went for a reason... Others were preferred. He has some major flaws as highlighted.
You cannot say on one hand, We didn't overpay for Long but got Battle as a bargain?... Because obviously you just going by popular opinion and then you'd be contradicting yourself. But recruiters set the actual price of a recruit, not draft experts... Only hindsight changes the value. Long was worth 25, Battle 39. According to reality.

Ed is a speculative pick, but a good one. Funny thing is, he'll have a spot on the list and NOK won't who is better at this stage. He is a typical late pick rookie, but I really like his attributes! Has speed, awareness and talent. Good size and athleticism. He could be a beauty, or nothing... But that's what a late pick is.

Good luck to all of them, hope they get a career out of the game, and become great saints.

Sorry to disappoint and not bag the club too much... Not anything to criticise really? If the were, I would! If it weren't for GWS I'd being making a huge call right now!!! We are in good hands.

Bye now

PS
Sorry about the long dribble post - bored waiting for the cricket!

Always like reading your posts, even if I don't agree with all of them.

Winmar
Club Player

Interesting post. We used pick 26 on Howard? Jesus. I can't remember Sweeney at all. Sounds like there wasn't much to remember.

One comment on a draftee's worth being determined by which pick was actually used on them - that's true as far as each club selects the best available player. Where they are recruiting based on need (e.g. recruiting a forward because they are lacking in that area, rather than taking a better midfielder) then that's diluted a bit.

Middo
Club Player

Bit of look at me post really ..DGAF ..

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Darth Vader
Club Player

Well for what it's worth I've always enjoyed your posts BM and I hope your huge call comes through!

loris
Saintsational Legend

Miss you Big Mart - interesting post, many perceptive points as expected from you.
I too had a chuckle at Kosifantutti's post re 'no photo'.......... it would have gone through to the wicket keeper with many a new poster eh?

Like you, cricket fills the void! Interesting to see how the selectors go for the Pakistan series? Luckily I missed the Perth Test. Was in Melbourne for an Aunt's 90th birthday. Silly me I decided to hang on in the east & catch the Tassie test. I love Tassie as a destination so was spared too much agony!!!!!!!

A few more cameo performances from you BM would be appreciated by most on SS me thinks.

Now back to the Crowded House concert - good day today, Aussies win test in Adelaide & a Crowded House re-union concert. All's well with the world!!!!!!!

PS. Long might be a good pick. I have my doubts about Battle. That Green Car video had me thinking, what a precious young lad that thinks he's IT because in teenage years at school he's been a footy big shot. Lot of growing up to do IMO. I could be way off the mark there - I hope so.
Would love young Ed to do well even though I've never heard or read anything about him- I love it when a smokey gets through that wasn't on anyone's radar. Fingers crossed, then it's kudos to the recruiters if he works out.

Now back to Crowded House - ah the other Finn brother is now on stage too - good!

loris
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Miss you Big Mart - interesting post, many perceptive points as expected from you.
I too had a chuckle at Kosifantutti's post re 'no photo'.......... it would have gone through to the wicket keeper with many a new poster eh?

Like you, cricket fills the void! Interesting to see how the selectors go for the Pakistan series? Luckily I missed the Perth Test. Was in Melbourne for an Aunt's 90th birthday. Silly me I decided to hang on in the east & catch the Tassie test. I love Tassie as a destination so was spared too much agony!!!!!!!

A few more cameo performances from you BM would be appreciated by most on SS me thinks.

Now back to the Crowded House concert - good day today, Aussies win test in Adelaide & a Crowded House re-union concert. All's well with the world!!!!!!!

PS. Long might be a good pick. I have my doubts about Battle. That Green Car video had me thinking, what a precious young lad that thinks he's IT because in teenage years at school he's been a footy big shot. Lot of growing up to do IMO. I could be way off the mark there - I hope so.
Would love young Ed to do well even though I've never heard or read anything about him- I love it when a smokey gets through that wasn't on anyone's radar. Fingers crossed, then it's kudos to the recruiters if he works out.

Now back to Crowded House - ah the other Finn brother is now on stage too - good!
Just to add a little more to the above quote........... I didn't have a clue who Crowded House were a number of years ago. My music taste are, classical and opera and for modern music it relates to Bob Dylan, Leonard Cohen. Oh, ofcourse I got caught up with The King, Elvis & The Beatles in my impressionable youth (who didn't in the 60's? ). So I wasn't exposed at all to modern pap like Crowded House in the late 1990's.

I've always been apart of greyhound rescue group. Bloody cruel, revolting industry IMHO).

I received a phone call one day asking if I could bring my greyhound to a music concert that was being held that night at Supreme Court Gardens, Perth. There was a group appearing that night whose lead singer was an advocate for greyhound rescue. Seems he was a New Zealander who at every outdoor concert where ever he performed wanted to end the concert with greyhounds on the stage who needed adoption. Whilst I was cynical, and I was worried about the noise at a rock concert. My lovely hound (Lucy) at that time was very distressed by loud noises - I think she had been adversely conditioned to sounds such as gun shots as owners/trainers put down hounds that were not good racers or who had minor leg injuries where she was prisoned (kenelled). My poor hound would go into a catotonic state if she heard a car back fire or fireworks go off.

However, I decided to take her to this Crowded House concert, as people told me they were 'huge' and it would be a great opportunity to spread the word for the need for greyhound adoption, to save them from the horrendous ends that most greyhound are subjected to.

Well folks, dear Lucy, stood up for the cause. We had about 20 greys that night who ran onto the stage after the group sang a song ...... something along the lines of words like ' you better come home'. It was a momentous occasion - the group hugged and held up the greys......... it was beautiful. The hounds responded, the band were hugging the hounds and the crowd wennt wild. I was in tears......... my Lucy overcame her fears of noise and stood up for the need for greyhound rescue.

We owners were getting our hounds ready to go home & the manager of Crowded House came over and asked us to come back and meet the group and share some drinks with them, and not to worry there was plenty of water for the hounds and food for them as well!!! Well I was won over. Tim Finn was a real supporter of greyhound rescue. He had performed this greyhound rescue at many of the outdoor concerts they had performed at. The best part, he said Crowded House decided they wouldn't do outside concerts at venues that wouldn't allow greyhounds to come onto the stage at the end of the performance to promote greyhound adoption.
So after that experience I became a Crowded House fan........ I started to listen to the lyrics of their songs, they had a message. No wonder they took on the plight of greyhounds, such lovely compassionate men.
I'm proud to say I still have close contact with them. They call me their 'opera loving convert'............ I really loved their re-union concert tonight even tho they were denied greyhound participation at the end of the show.......... though I know they tried to have it overturned.

Adopt a greyhound Saintsationalist if you need a new dog in your life. They are the most gentle, gracious dogs you could have. They will give you so much love into your lives. They are couch potatoes, need very little walking (power animals, not endurance)- so all you need is 20 mins exercise a day. They are brilliant with children - have you ever heard of a greyhound attacking a child or another dog?????? No I'm sure you haven't. And yes you can get cat, bird, chicken, guinea pig friendly greys.

Adopt a Geyhound - it can change your life - it will definitely change and save theirs!
Last edited by loris on Tue 29 Nov 2016 1:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Middo wrote:Bit of look at me post really ..DGAF ..
It sure is and that's what we all love about Marto

It's the heart and soul attitude of the forum and not from a troll like another look at me poster.

Posters like BM and plugsie are a rare find

Whilst Bainsy has been good I won't forgive him for handing the Dogs a flag by us not selecting the Bont

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

You have to blame the trout for that one. In fairness though, had the dogs had our pick, the mail was they were going to pick Billings as well. Overall these guys have done an outstanding job. Billings will be a gun in time, especially now he appears to be over his injuries. I just hope he doesn't become the new Ball, and the Bont is the new Judd, although it's looking increasingly likely. I still reckon our decision to pick Ball ahead of Judd cost us two flags.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Great stuff, Loris. Kind, compassionate and good taste in music! Check out Crowded House's origins through Split Enz, the group the Finn brothers started in NZ back in the 70's. I'm sure you'll find their music somewhat challenging, with some real gems that hinted at future greatness. As for the greys, I couldn't agree more. We had whippets and a couple of greys as kids, who my sister had acquired through the vet practice she worked at. They had been "retired" and in those days, the '70's, there were no rescue programs, so you can guess why they were taken to the vet. Surprised they simply weren't shot or bludgeoned as was the norm in the day. Still, they enjoyed quite a few good years and were valued companions for my retired parents. Bless you. It's good to be good, isn't it?

Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

Good post BM. None of us are always right. But you have been proved right on quite a few.

loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Great stuff, Loris. Kind, compassionate and good taste in music! Check out Crowded House's origins through Split Enz, the group the Finn brothers started in NZ back in the 70's. I'm sure you'll find their music somewhat challenging, with some real gems that hinted at future greatness. As for the greys, I couldn't agree more. We had whippets and a couple of greys as kids, who my sister had acquired through the vet practice she worked at. They had been "retired" and in those days, the '70's, there were no rescue programs, so you can guess why they were taken to the vet. Surprised they simply weren't shot or bludgeoned as was the norm in the day. Still, they enjoyed quite a few good years and were valued companions for my retired parents. Bless you. It's good to be good, isn't it?
Here you are White Winmar........ a video clip of a Crowded House Concert at Rod Laver Arena with the greyhounds on stage and with them backstage with the band. Enjoy the visual of these gorgeous, elegant, gentle hounds. Sorry there is no video clip of the Perth Concert with my Lucy (RIP) at centre stage.......... she had her Saint's body suit on and looked a stunner. I still have her body suit with all the musicians autographs.

Sorry BM for highjacking your v.g thread........... forgive me it's all in a good cause, ie., promoting greyhound adoption. :wink: :P

loris
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Great stuff, Loris. Kind, compassionate and good taste in music! Check out Crowded House's origins through Split Enz, the group the Finn brothers started in NZ back in the 70's. I'm sure you'll find their music somewhat challenging, with some real gems that hinted at future greatness. As for the greys, I couldn't agree more. We had whippets and a couple of greys as kids, who my sister had acquired through the vet practice she worked at. They had been "retired" and in those days, the '70's, there were no rescue programs, so you can guess why they were taken to the vet. Surprised they simply weren't shot or bludgeoned as was the norm in the day. Still, they enjoyed quite a few good years and were valued companions for my retired parents. Bless you. It's good to be good, isn't it?
Here you are White Winmar........ a video clip of a Crowded House Concert at Rod Laver Arena with the greyhounds on stage and with them backstage with the band. Enjoy the visual of these gorgeous, elegant, gentle hounds. Sorry there is no video clip of the Perth Concert with my Lucy (RIP) at centre stage.......... she had her Saint's body suit on and looked a stunner. I still have her body suit with all the musicians autographs.

Sorry BM for highjacking your v.g thread........... forgive me it's all in a good cause, ie., promoting greyhound adoption. :wink: :P

MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

So how many could that apply to on here?

What about the bullies, trolls and swampers?

Good post BM - generally like your opinions - and P66 as well.

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote: PS. Long might be a good pick. I have my doubts about Battle. That Green Car video had me thinking, what a precious young lad that thinks he's IT because in teenage years at school he's been a footy big shot. Lot of growing up to do IMO. I could be way off the mark there - I hope so.
Think so.

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

This place needs more Mart (and greyhound) threads. :D

The 'green machine' also raised my eyebrows also, Loris. (BTW, Josh, what's the matter? A strapping young bloke like yourself can't handle a clutch pedal??? :shock: ) But hey, at least he bought an Aussie car, not some over-hyped, over-priced, balance of trade killing, 'Euro-badge'. Everything else that I've read about him suggests that he's prepared to do the hard work required to make the AFL grade. Absolutely rapt we got the bloke. He'll be a ripper! 8-)

Back to Mart: I'm with WW. Make that big call Mart!!! From 2018 onwards for sure. And given the lack of any powerhouse side (the Wogan 'potential' aside), I'm not ruling out the chances of pinching one ahead of time in 2017. 8-)

(PS: Mart, it's been noticed that the standard of the spelling and grammar improves remarkedly when the topic is one of importance to the poster... in the case of yourself... and... of someone else who was once very prominent on here...

Got me wondering. Has anyone ever seen Mart and we-know-whom in the same room...? :wink: )

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Middo
Club Player

saintspremiers wrote:
It sure is and that's what we all love about Marto

It's the heart and soul attitude of the forum and not from a troll like another look at me poster.

Posters like BM and plugsie are a rare find

Whilst Bainsy has been good I won't forgive him for handing the Dogs a flag by us not selecting the Bont
As i said really DGAF

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

I think there were numerous posters on here going off at Beveridges joy at speculative "smokies" rather than real prospects.

I remember this joint going off when Howard's name was called, that selection is up there with Jodi Arnol in the NFI stakes. :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

MCG-Unit wrote:
So how many could that apply to on here?

What about the bullies, trolls and swampers?

Good post BM - generally like your opinions - and P66 as well.
Yep. Agree.

Don't always agree with his views but adds more to the place than a few on here particularly one sniper in this thread who adds zero insight or information. Pathetic.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Love your posts BM.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Come on BM. Stop sooking and come back. all is forgiven, if there was anything to forgive. The forum needs diversity to grow and be relevant. We need you,
P66 not so much, but I mcould makea case for nhim as well. Comeback, big fella, bugger what the status quo people think. Stuff the establishment.Opinions are what make this site, not he opinions of the thought police.

asiu
Saintsational Legend

personally , i love The Mart
but i can see why some of the boys enjoy pushing his buttons :)

#sensitivepossum

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Well? What's stopping you, BM? Come on big boy. All is forgiven. We need you. I'm not going to beg any more than this.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

WindSister wrote:personally , i love The Mart
but i can see why some of the boys enjoy pushing his buttons :)

#sensitivepossum
Ah, windsister. The sacred feminine speaks.That's if you arwe the sacred feminine. Love your input anyways.