Luke Dunstan to be traded?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Dunstan to be traded?

barneyboyz wrote:
jaxons wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the bickering on here $hits me.

Couldn't agree more.
We all love the Saints and need to stick together as one.
Everyone entitled to their opinions however the confrontational nature is unnecessary as all we all want is our club to be great.
I often wonder how much calmer the world would be if we won a flag...I reckon I'd be much happier even watching our games Etc.
Ain't that the truth, barneyboyz. A mate of mine told me the WB flag has changed the footy experience for him. He used to get angry and frustrated with the best of them. He still gets frustrated, but then he just thinks back to the premiership and all is well. I'd love to experience that feeling.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

I have been saying it for three years.
A midfield with all of Ross-Armo-Dunny is not functional. Too crab like.
Ross is now clearly the best of them so he is our number one inside mid. This makes the other two marginal on the list.
We now have big bodies like K Stevens, Steele and Acres who can play inside-outside hybrid or even push fwd if they have to.
Obviously J Steven is our number one go to guy.

Vazelos
Club Player

Sources at the Sandy game today said Dunstan was servicaeable but showed no spread and went to ground at contests so expect him to stay at the Zebras next week. Mc Cartin and Hickey are the two that put their hands up for senior selection and Marshall is showing great promise to take up Dempster spot on the list.
Koby Stevens and Jack Sinclair were very good today.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:Sources at the Sandy game today said Dunstan was servicaeable but showed no spread and went to ground at contests so expect him to stay at the Zebras next week. Mc Cartin and Hickey are the two that put their hands up for senior selection and Marshall is showing great promise to take up Dempster spot on the list.

He had 16 touches at half time and ended up with 25.
Which is exactly how he plays in the AFL. Starts off playing like Dustin Martin but cant play out a full game because his running endurance is so poor. He is usually cooked at 3/4 time.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Vazelos wrote:Sources at the Sandy game today said Dunstan was servicaeable but showed no spread and went to ground at contests so expect him to stay at the Zebras next week. Mc Cartin and Hickey are the two that put their hands up for senior selection and Marshall is showing great promise to take up Dempster spot on the list.

Which is exactly how he plays in the AFL. Starts off playing like Dustin Martin but cant play out a full game because his running endurance is so poor. He is usually cooked at 3/4 time.

You're like like a dog with a bone.

You don't like Dunstan.

We kinda all get it...obsessed or what?!!

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
SemperFidelis
SS Life Member

Is it possible to un-bump a thread ... ?

Always loyal
Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Luke Dunstan, future "Sandringham" Captain :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

Wayne42 wrote:Luke Dunstan, future "Sandringham" Captain :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This post just about sums you up, Wayne4200

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

People needs to cast their minds back 2 season when Seb Ross was playing and couldnt run out games. Dunstan will improve given time as long as he is prepared to do the hard work.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

Con Gorozidis wrote:I have been saying it for three years.
A midfield with all of Ross-Armo-Dunny is not functional. Too crab like.
Ross is now clearly the best of them so he is our number one inside mid. This makes the other two marginal on the list.
We now have big bodies like K Stevens, Steele and Acres who can play inside-outside hybrid or even push fwd if they have to.
Obviously J Steven is our number one go to guy.
Koby got 28 or 29 today, kicked 2 goals.
Dunstan would never bring those numbers. Luke may provide bullocking work to clear the way for Stuv,
but Steele with his Bulldog hands and 7.7 tackles per game, combining with Ross, can do anything needed in the middle.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
barwon saint
Club Player

I would trade Luke in a minute.He gets 12 to 18 posses a game as a young inside mid.Steele same age comes to the club and has passed Luke easily and has more impact than any game that i have seen Luke play.Todays game in Tassie showed Stephens also gone past him in one game. With Ross How many inside mids do we need.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

[quote="Impatient Sainter"]People needs to cast their minds back 2 season when Seb Ross was playing and couldnt run out games. Dunstan will improve given time as long as he is prepared to do the hard work.[/quote]

I agree. But what's with the patience impatient one?

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

barwon saint wrote:I would trade Luke in a minute.He gets 12 to 18 posses a game as a young inside mid.Steele same age comes to the club and has passed Luke easily and has more impact than any game that i have seen Luke play.Todays game in Tassie showed Stephens also gone past him in one game. With Ross How many inside mids do we need.
Richo has never played Luke in the VFL before today.
He must be one of the favourites. I think RIcho would find a way to bring him back in.

Tony74 said a few months ago that he "will be surprised if anyone plays a full season", there will be rotations.
And last week, he said Steele was close to being rested.

Expect Richo to drop Steele or Koby as "being managed" so he can bring his godson Dunstan.
I have Man Of in my best 22, he is pure silk

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Two seasons ago Seb Ross was finishing Top 5 in running during the pre season and was tearing it up.

He then had a ten week hamstring (with Faz) on the eve of the season.

Came back about R8-10 and had a reasonably good back end considering the conditioning he lost and game time missed

We can't rewrite history to help a defensive argument

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Wayne42 wrote:Luke Dunstan, future "Sandringham" Captain :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
This post just about sums you up, Wayne4200
Good one 2 degrees

The Saints are under review, will it make any difference to the underachievers ?
WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend

If Dunstan's role is to protect Stuv and maybe assist at clearance,
then he is no better than those other role-players that Lyon had;
the ones who were slow and stodgy and were just one-dimensional.

If he's a one-trick pony who cannot be flexible and help out in other ways,
then he has no place in the team.

How many other clubs have a player like this? maybe they're down the bottom. Not top 4, for sure

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

You don't like Dunstan.

I dont not like him.
Just not sure he is going to be the next Joel Selwood which is kind of what I think the coach and some of us had hoped for...

I like dogs and bones though.

Wayne42
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
SaintPav wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:

You don't like Dunstan.

I dont not like him.
Just not sure he is going to be the next Joel Selwood which is kind of what I think the coach and some of us had hoped for...

I like dogs and bones though.
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave McNamara
Saintsational Legend
Location: Slotting another one from 94.5m out. Opposition flood? Bring it on...! Keep the faith Saintas!

Vazelos wrote:I'm hoping Luke keeps improving and I'm not expecting him to get traded it was a rumour I heard.
I'm not a massive critic but I'm not a massive fan either, I'm Luke Warm with him pardon the pun.
Can he spread effectively and is he big bodied enough to demand a first 22 place as we head up the ladder?
I will be looking closely to see if he keeps his place every week in the next 2 years and Jaxon who has become some sort of oracle in here will be the first I go to for an explanation if he hasn't. I hope Luke powers on and then I'll be the first to acknowledge him.
Hi Vaz, I can assure that Luke D ain't going to be traded out unless approved by our desertsaint - and last I heard, he ain't approving for Luke to be traded anywhere.

However, any chance the other clubs still haven't caught on about Billy...?

It's Dave, man. Will you open up? I got the stuff with me! -------Who?
Dave, man. Open up ------------------------------------------ -----Dave???
Yeah, Dave. ---------------------------------------------------------Dave's not here.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QOiG1hAr ... detailpage
skeptic wrote: Tue 30 Jan 2024 8:07pmCongrats to Dave McNamara - hereby dubbed the KNOWINGEST KNOW IT ALL of Saintsational
:mrgreen:
Vazelos
Club Player

I expect Marshall to take over as No2 with Longer traded and Holmes delisted next year. That's just my thoughts .
Hickey Marshall and Lewis will be our 3 ruckman.
I hope Longer has some currency somewhere.

Re Dunstan I thought you saw a much better balanced mid field yesterday with Koby Stevens and Jack Sinclair coming in. I don't like Dunstan and Armitage together on that mix at all.

My concerns on him have come to light from last year and the 2 guys on here that smashed me, Jaxon and The Recruit, seemed to not be as keen to jump on and discuss the subject as fast as they were late last year.

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Don't be too hasty about Luke. I think we've suffered from a lack of variety in our midfield, especially when Luke and Armo are in there. Sinclair, Steele and Stevens, along with Seb and The boy from the Geelong Falcons Football factory down at Lorne and JB and Acres, looks a more versatile mix. One jet to go, if me are to make it a top class group. Maybe even if Freeman comes good, we can add another different type in there. Makes us less predictable and more flexible. Armo and Luke suffer a bit from "one role syndrome" in that it's hard to imagine them doing anything else other than playing the bullocking role in the midfield. The others named all have other strings to their bows.

I think Armo might be close to cooked. There is room for one of that type at present, but no more. 2017 was always going to be the year of fine tuning and sorting out the list in preparation for a realistic tilt at the big one. I'd keep Luke. Let's not forget his battle with his shoulders. I'd imagine he'd still be feeling his way a bit and trying to build some confidence.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:Don't be too hasty about Luke. I think we've suffered from a lack of variety in our midfield, especially when Luke and Armo are in there. Sinclair, Steele and Stevens, along with Seb and The boy from the Geelong Falcons Football factory down at Lorne and JB and Acres, looks a more versatile mix. One jet to go, if me are to make it a top class group. Maybe even if Freeman comes good, we can add another different type in there. Makes us less predictable and more flexible. Armo and Luke suffer a bit from "one role syndrome" in that it's hard to imagine them doing anything else other than playing the bullocking role in the midfield. The others named all have other strings to their bows.

I think Armo might be close to cooked. There is room for one of that type at present, but no more. 2017 was always going to be the year of fine tuning and sorting out the list in preparation for a realistic tilt at the big one. I'd keep Luke. Let's not forget his battle with his shoulders. I'd imagine he'd still be feeling his way a bit and trying to build some confidence.
Surely Ross has a mortgage on that role now?
Dunstan is really back up for Ross.
I think we need variety in our midfield. Cant be Armo-Ross-Dunstan. We will get thrashed with those three playing together.

ace
Saintsational Legend

If Armitage is cooked then maybe we could sell him to Hawthorn for 2 first round draft picks like JOM.
Oops I forgot they don't have any first round draft picks to trade. :lol: :lol: :lol:

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

What does it mean that Armitage is cooked though???
That his body is too banged up to play as a mid?

Perhaps it's time for a change of role perhaps...

Is he a potential upgrade on Weller or Dasher (and Wright) who have both been up and down as a pressure forward

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:What does it mean that Armitage is cooked though???
That his body is too banged up to play as a mid?

Perhaps it's time for a change of role perhaps...

Is he a potential upgrade on Weller or Dasher (and Wright) who have both been up and down as a pressure forward
I think so, skeptic. The bash and crash has taken its toll, al a Dermie. A very good player who will need to reinvent himself to stay relevant. I agree with Con. You can't get away with playing Luke, Seb and Armo in the sane midfield. Ross is a lock and Dunstan is young and still has improvement in him. Tough times ahead for Dave, I feel.