Luke Dunstan to be traded?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Vazelos
Club Player

Luke Dunstan to be traded?

It's not a strong rumour or source but I did hear Luke Dunstan may be traded back to SA.
With the emerging Acres, Gresham , Billings and Mc Kenzie and Steele and Stephens coming in as well as hopefully Freeman coming good to compliment Jack Steven, Armitage and Ross is Dunstan under the pump to keep his spot?
He is a reasonable to good player but is he good enough for a top 4 side?
I have some question marks on him not convinced either way yet to rule him in or out I'm on the fence long term.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Dunstan to be traded?

Vazelos wrote:It's not a strong rumour or source but I did hear Luke Dunstan may be traded back to SA.
With the emerging Acres, Gresham , Billings and Mc Kenzie and Steele and Stephens coming in as well as hopefully Freeman coming good to compliment Jack Steven, Armitage and Ross is Dunstan under the pump to keep his spot?
I have some question marks on him not convinced either way yet to rule him in or out I'm on the fence long term.
Very much doubt it.

Has done an awesome job for a 21 year old, bearing the brunt of the inside grunt. Bains spoke in his interview on radio today about Steele and Stevens being big-bodied and giving a "chop out" for those who had been carrying the hard inside load and I reckon Luke would be one he's talking about.

Vazelos
Club Player

I read he was talking about Steven and Armitage but I hope Dunstan keeps improving on the solid base he has at the moment.
This year is his 4th or 5th year so he is starting to hit the 2nd stage of his career.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Luke Dunstan is about to change his name to Jack Dunstan in a move designed to stop SS contributors trying to out him from the Saints.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Linton Lodger
SS Hall of Fame

Not a chance in hell. Although some on this forum (not me) don't see the value in Dunstan, I'm sure he's valued as an integral part of the picture by Richo. You can assume precisely the same, if not more, for Tom Hickey.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I doubt we would trade Luke but perhaps the Hamish Hartlett trade is not dead?

supersaints
Club Player

st.byron wrote:
Vazelos wrote:It's not a strong rumour or source but I did hear Luke Dunstan may be traded back to SA.
Very much doubt it.

Has done an awesome job for a 21 year old, bearing the brunt of the inside grunt. Bains spoke in his interview on radio today about Steele and Stevens being big-bodied and giving a "chop out" for those who had been carrying the hard inside load and I reckon Luke would be one he's talking about.
Totally agree St Byron
Luke's almost sacrificed his own development by playing the big bodied defensive mid. Now we have Steel and Koby , Luke will get to develop his outside game . Huge upside ....I back Lenny's Hayes judgement . Think AR is a huge fan

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

You know this year it wouldn't be the end of the world for Dunstan to play a bit of VFL next year especially coming off a shoulder reconstruction. I don't know why Richo played him nearly every single AFL game as soon as he was drafted - I guess Richo liked his inside work after Lenny left. But playing VFL would have given him a chance to work on other aspects of his game - his run, outside game and even playing forward so he could rest forward in the AFL.

I would like to see more squad rotation this year - its a long season and we're now looking at having a strong list of midfielders. Use them. Dogs were forced to use nearly all their players this year and last and it actually made them more dynamic and unpredictable and great competition for spots making everyone hungry.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Bluthy wrote:You know this year it wouldn't be the end of the world for Dunstan to play a bit of VFL next year especially coming off a shoulder reconstruction. I don't know why Richo played him nearly every single AFL game as soon as he was drafted - I guess Richo liked his inside work after Lenny left. But playing VFL would have given him a chance to work on other aspects of his game - his run, outside game and even playing forward so he could rest forward in the AFL.

I would like to see more squad rotation this year - its a long season and we're now looking at having a strong list of midfielders. Use them. Dogs were forced to use nearly all their players this year and last and it actually made them more dynamic and unpredictable and great competition for spots making everyone hungry.
Rubbish, you play your best 22 available every week.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Bluthy wrote:You know this year it wouldn't be the end of the world for Dunstan to play a bit of VFL next year especially coming off a shoulder reconstruction. I don't know why Richo played him nearly every single AFL game as soon as he was drafted - I guess Richo liked his inside work after Lenny left. But playing VFL would have given him a chance to work on other aspects of his game - his run, outside game and even playing forward so he could rest forward in the AFL.

Sure. That is why half a dozen of them are looking to go elsewhere in 2017.

saint-stu
Club Player

I think as supporters we consistently expect the players to hit their peak potential immediately when in reality, it usually takes 5 years. I would have thought Dunstan is doing much better than Seb at the same age.

1ac46a38
jaxons
Club Player

It's posts like these that make me question being a member of this site.
Sorry matey but you have no idea about football.

takeaway
Club Player

A lot of people look at the stats after the game, watch the highlights, but don't really see the work Dunstan does in the clinches, getting the ball out to advantage. One of our most valuable players, every team needs a couple of Dunstans. Already one of the midfield leaders. Surely there is no thought of trading him

Vazelos
Club Player

Put your ego back in your box buddy..
Uncalled for post... dont let your little fame here go to your head.
I called Seb Ross in December having a break out year before anyone, give an opinion instead of little scoops that everyone knows anyway. Being a poor mans Damian Barrett doesn't impress me.
I have contacts in media and the club too but don't share them here all the time.I actually am involved in Sport and understand how it all works on the player management side.
I'm hoping Dunstan steps up but my feeling is he may fall down the pecking order in the next two years of his level doesn't improve which I hope he does considering his age.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

He's had shoulder issues - so I don't have to be an ITK to know that he should step things up when he gets his body right.

Armo had some niggles this year and we've seen his output drop off.

Armo was left out of the finals in 2009 at the same age and Tom Lynch was not good enough -and we've seen what's happened since.
Last edited by samoht on Tue 18 Oct 2016 8:23am, edited 1 time in total.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:Put your ego back in your box buddy..
I called Seb Ross in December having a break out year before anyone, give an opinion instead of little scoops that everyone knows anyway. Being a poor mans Damian Barrett doesn't impress me.
I have contacts in media and the club too but don't share them here all the time.I actually am involved in Sport and understand how it all works on the player management side.
I'm hoping Dunstan steps up but my feeling is he may fall down the pecking order in the next two years of his level doesn't improve which I hope he does considering his age.
Dunstan is a very important player and there is no chance of him being traded.

One year will be our year
samoht
Saintsational Legend

We might end up with a deep midfield where 6 - 8- 10 players rotate through it and get no more than 20 possessions each - there's only so much ball to go around - but still dominate. It's about sharing the load and playing sustained high level football.
We need to stop thinking at the individual level - what each player is doing.

10 x 20 > 2 x 30 + 3 x 25. QED.

Also, we need to be more thoughtful and less confrontational with our posts. We're all fellow Sainters here, a lot to respect!

Vazelos
Club Player

I'm hoping Luke keeps improving and I'm not expecting him to get traded it was a rumour I heard.
I'm not a massive critic but I'm not a massive fan either, I'm Luke Warm with him pardon the pun.
Can he spread effectively and is he big bodied enough to demand a first 22 place as we head up the ladder?
I will be looking closely to see if he keeps his place every week in the next 2 years and Jaxon who has become some sort of oracle in here will be the first I go to for an explanation if he hasn't. I hope Luke powers on and then I'll be the first to acknowledge him.

samoht
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:I'm hoping Luke keeps improving and I'm not expecting him to get traded it was a rumour I heard.
I'm not a massive critic but I'm not a massive fan either, I'm Luke Warm with him pardon the pun.
Can he spread effectively and is he big bodied enough to demand a first 22 place as we head up the ladder?
I will be looking closely to see if he keeps his place every week in the next 2 years and Jaxon who has become some sort of oracle in here will be the first I go to for an explanation if he hasn't. I hope Luke powers on and then I'll be the first to acknowledge him.
jaxons isn't an oracle -- he's just a messenger/confidant who is generously and carefully sharing some info with us. We can't hold him to account for anything. The landscape and what he's reporting on keeps changing - the people who are running things and to whom he is somehow privy to keep changing their minds. That's how it is.

(BTW, I agree we do need a couple of run and carry midfielders -- more spread -- we have plenty of inside support for Armo. The recruiters still need to get this part right, IMO).

The Recruit
Club Player

rather trade armo

can't see dunstan leaving....heart and soul player

The Recruit
Club Player

jaxons wrote:

It's posts like these that make me question being a member of this site.
Sorry matey but you have no idea about football.
don't be pulled down by the minority Jaxons....some us actually watch football

longtimesaint
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:rather trade armo

Armor won't be traded -he was injured for a lot of last year.
Hopefully back to the clearance beast of the previous year.

One year will be our year
The Recruit
Club Player

longtimesaint wrote:
The Recruit wrote:rather trade armo

Armor won't be traded -he was injured for a lot of last year.
Hopefully back to the clearance beast of the previous year.
only reason is age profile...great clearance player and very good tackler..pressure inside but will only get slower as he gets older

jaxons
Club Player

Thanks for your resume mate.
Not interested in getting into arguments with Saints supporters.
Can tell you unequivocally that Luke is so highly regarded by leadership group and coaches at our club.
Wasn't just 'willy nilly' he was given Lenny's jumper to wear.
Likely to captain our club in a few years.
To see him mentioned as a possible trade and that you don't know where he is at, I'm sorry mate flies in the face of the entire football club's opinion on him.

saynta
Saintsational Legend

jaxons wrote:

Thanks for your resume mate.
Not interested in getting into arguments with Saints supporters.
Can tell you unequivocally that Luke is so highly regarded by leadership group and coaches at our club.
Wasn't just 'willy nilly' he was given Lenny's jumper to wear.
Likely to captain our club in a few years.
To see him mentioned as a possible trade and that you don't know where he is at, I'm sorry mate flies in the face of the entire football club's opinion on him.
Great post jaxons