Luke Dunstan to be traded?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Scollop
Saintsational Legend

Re: Luke Dunstan to be traded?

The Recruit wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Vazelos wrote:It's not a strong rumour or source but I did hear Luke Dunstan may be traded back to SA.
With the emerging Acres, Gresham , Billings and Mc Kenzie and Steele and Stephens coming in as well as hopefully Freeman coming good to compliment Jack Steven, Armitage and Ross is Dunstan under the pump to keep his spot?
He is a reasonable to good player but is he good enough for a top 4 side?
I have some question marks on him not convinced either way yet to rule him in or out I'm on the fence long term.

It's posts like these that make me question being a member of this site.
Sorry matey but you have no idea about football.
don't be pulled down by the minority Jaxons....some us actually watch football
And some people's vision isn't clouded by their rose coloured glasses. Luke has great character and shows outstanding leadership as a young man. It's one of the reasons that the senior players embraced him when he was recruited and Lenny Hayes in particular took such a liking to him, but you have to stay objective in your assessment of the player.

If you read the op he said that "not convinced either way yet to rule him in or out" and "I'm on the fence long term." I tend to agree and I'm undecided. Luke could become a 200 game player or perhaps his body shape and his speed and the improvement of others in the team will surpass him.

The pleasing thing is that the competition for spots means everyone needs to improve and all players are under pressure in the midfield group

To the top
SS Life Member

As I have put on this site consistently, we have built a core of players over the past couple of seasons who should stand the Club in good stead, and a far cry from what Lyon left.

We have drafted Billings, Dunstan, Acres, McCartin, Goddard and Gresham with First Round picks.

We have recruited Hickey, Carlisle, Freeman, Roberton, Longer, Bruce, Membrey and Weller.

We have developed Ross, Newnes and Webster, have high hopes for White and McKenzie and have our core being Steven, Montagna, Riewoldt, Gilbert, Armitage, Dempster, Fisher, and Geary.

Plus we have others such as Wright pushing.

And we have those added this Trade Period - and a Draft ahead of us with (currently) 2 Second Round Picks - and (currently) 2 First Round Draft Picks next year.

So what we look to do, in my opinion anyway, is to support this core and to add to it by way of the Draft and Free Agency (aka Brown who cost us nothing except for salary).

To talk about now trading out any of this core is a nonsense and compromises the integrity and future of the Club.

Yes, in time the depth of the List may see some seek greener pastures in search of regular AFL game time but at present we are building a List where there is internal competition for places and that competition makes us competative in the competition.

Success breeds success.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

There were some quarters of games this year that Dunstan was easily the best player on the ground and was just completely dominating. He can do some very crazily good stuff in close that leaves you going how the hell did he do that? What was that final quarter where he went bezerk in the last quarter and nearly won us the game single handedly and then cried? He was like a man possessed. I thought he was on something.

To the top
SS Life Member

And just to add to further reject the nonsense re Dunstan, he debuted 2 years after Ross and has now played 52 games kicking 26 goals.

Ross has now played 59 games kicking 8 goals.

Both have endured injury.

So if Dunstan provides no "spread", where has the goal every 2 games come from - noting this record is not very far behind Steven (134/88) and Armitage (150/89)?

Some of the appraisals on here astound.

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Here's a comparison of Dunstan vs Seb Ross at the same age:

A lot of us, myself included, weren't too sure about Ross a couple of years ago.

As we can quickly garner from the footywire comparison (see link below)- Dunstan is slightly ahead of where Ross was at - at the same age (21).

He also has Armo covered at the same age possession-wise -- except for tackles - Armo was averaging 8.7 tackles per game at age 21!!
Armo only played 3 games in 2009.

http://www.footywire.com/afl/footy/ft_p ... fopt2=2014

Lesson: A famous Tom Lynch Quote ---"It's wise not to give up on or judge players at 21"!
Last edited by samoht on Tue 18 Oct 2016 3:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Yep, great post Jaxons

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

Dunstan is a gun! Has been from day one. If he's over his injuries, watch him go next year. Seb Ross like.

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

A bigger tank with make him look quicker too just like Ross

Vazelos
Club Player

samoht wrote:
Vazelos wrote:I'm hoping Luke keeps improving and I'm not expecting him to get traded it was a rumour I heard.
I'm not a massive critic but I'm not a massive fan either, I'm Luke Warm with him pardon the pun.
Can he spread effectively and is he big bodied enough to demand a first 22 place as we head up the ladder?
I will be looking closely to see if he keeps his place every week in the next 2 years and Jaxon who has become some sort of oracle in here will be the first I go to for an explanation if he hasn't. I hope Luke powers on and then I'll be the first to acknowledge him.
jaxons isn't an oracle -- he's just a messenger/confidant who is generously and carefully sharing some info with us. We can't hold him to account for anything. The landscape and what he's reporting on keeps changing - the people who are running things and to whom he is somehow privy to keep changing their minds. That's how it is.

(BTW, I agree we do need a couple of run and carry midfielders -- more spread -- we have plenty of inside support for Armo. The recruiters still need to get this part right, IMO).
A confidant you suggest. If someone of responsibility at a club confides in you and you go share it on a supporters forum what does that suggest?
There is no way anyone from the recruiting team would be sharing that information as they would lose their job.
At one stage whilst the season was still on I was aware we went after Lions captain Rockliff and we were discussing a player in our mid field as a direct swap. It was a sensitive discussion that involved a long standing quality servant of our club. I would never share that information and jeopardise my club and disrespect the player in question no matter how much I wanted to parade my scoop!! People on the inside are there for a reason and they don't talk to people who jump on forums. I'm sure Jaxon has some reasonable information but he says he doesn't want to come on here and argue with saints supporters yet he jumps on my post and smashes me on an assessment I made on Luke Dunstan. Claims he is a big scoop man and obviously by his comments rates his football knowledge.
I'll back my judgement against him any time for what it's worth which is very little outside of this forum by the way. My ego is very much in the real world, I have strong contacts at the club and in the football media and world but don't flaunt them in here. I obviously touched a raw nerve on Dunstan but that's ok, we are all big boys here and I have been on here since 2010 and never had an issue with anyone. We are all in the same team, I respect all Saints supporters!!! We move on.

jaxons
Club Player

Hi Vazelos
You didn't touch a nerve mate.
Your assessment on Dunstan is just wrong.
Footy is an opinion business and you are entitled to yours.
However internally the view on Dunstan is so strong both now and for the future.
Sorry to burst your bubble again I'm not trying to be confrontational but we never were that interested in Rockliff so not sure about that either.
Never have claimed to be a big scoop man either.
Just trying to give the faithful accurate trade information.
Move on mate we all cherish the Saints.
Last edited by jaxons on Wed 19 Oct 2016 1:16pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vazelos
Club Player

The Recruit wrote:
jaxons wrote:
Vazelos wrote:It's not a strong rumour or source but I did hear Luke Dunstan may be traded back to SA.
With the emerging Acres, Gresham , Billings and Mc Kenzie and Steele and Stephens coming in as well as hopefully Freeman coming good to compliment Jack Steven, Armitage and Ross is Dunstan under the pump to keep his spot?
I have some question marks on him not convinced either way yet to rule him in or out I'm on the fence long term.

Sorry for having an opinion, offer some substance and facts instead of shooting people down with condescending posts.
That's what intelligent people do. Look forward to your assessment on things in the future considering you obviously rate yourself better than others. I'm on Level 2 best seat in the house and have been going for quite awhile ( 5th decade of following saints) but I look forward to learning off you when you offer your opinion.

Vazelos
Club Player

jaxons wrote:Hi Vazelos
However internally the view on Dunstan is so strong both now and for the future.
Sorry to burst your bubble again I'm not trying to be confrontational but we never were that interested in Rockliff so not sure about that either.
Never have cloaked to be a big scoop man either.
No problem Jaxon you have provided a respectful reply after your initial first post.
I may have judged Dunstan too hard, time will show and I really hope he takes the next step.
I have not dismissed the boy just hope he can get better in some areas.
I have moved on and my intention was not to upset anyone or disrespect the boy either.
In hindsight maybe the title of the post could have inflamed emotions.
We all do cherish the Saints Jaxon and we all get something on here thats why we come on regularly.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

the bickering on here $hits me.

barneyboyz
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:
jaxons wrote:Hi Vazelos
Never have cloaked to be a big scoop man either.
No problem Jaxon you have provided a respectful reply after your initial first post.
I may have judged Dunstan too hard, time will show and I really hope he takes the next step.
I have not dismissed the boy just hope he can get better in some areas.
I have moved on and my intention was not to upset anyone or disrespect the boy either.
In hindsight maybe the title of the post could have inflamed emotions.
We all do cherish the Saints Jaxon and we all get something on here thats why we come on regularly.
It is always very difficult to both write and to judge written emotion. Most of us here are not professional writers, or authors and can, at times suffer for this. I reckon many a 'blue' here has started because of this alone

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
Vazelos
Club Player

My Intel Jaxon was there was a discussion for Rockliff that went nowhere in July/ August and died quickly in a week or two.
It came from a very reliable source but these discussions happen often, things are thrown around all the time.
I don't want to mention the Saints player thrown up needless to say the Lions were not interested in the deal.
I am very happy with Jack Steele so not complaining.
They obviously we're not that interested in the end as you suggest.

longtimesaint
Club Player

Time for this topic to be closed -Dunstan isn't going anywhere.

One year will be our year
jaxons
Club Player

The Fireman wrote:the bickering on here $hits me.

Couldn't agree more.
We all love the Saints and need to stick together as one.
Everyone entitled to their opinions however the confrontational nature is unnecessary as all we all want is our club to be great.

barneyboyz
Club Player

jaxons wrote:
The Fireman wrote:the bickering on here $hits me.

Couldn't agree more.
We all love the Saints and need to stick together as one.
Everyone entitled to their opinions however the confrontational nature is unnecessary as all we all want is our club to be great.
I often wonder how much calmer the world would be if we won a flag...I reckon I'd be much happier even watching our games Etc.

St. Kilda Football Club. Going strong, since 1960 :wink:
ace
Saintsational Legend

Oops wrong thread.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
freely
SS Hall of Fame

Also - I know it's not very fashionable in this age of professionalism-above-all, but he seems to me a real heart and soul player. There aren't many of our boys ATM that I can imagine being gutted if they had to play for a different team, but he's one. Armo is another. Obviously stalwarts like Roo and Joey - but of the younger cohort, I think mostly they'd switch jumpers without much angst. Every club's got a few players like this (think Dahlhaus at the dogs, Viney at Melbourne, or - IMO - Riewoldt at Richmond) that - not saying they wouldn't but - really wouldn't want to play for a different team. I reckon Dunstan's one of those - and I wish we had more.

Vazelos
Club Player

I'm seeing a lot of love and respect for Luke Dunstan in this forum which makes me want to see him achieve a good career at St Kilda even more.
There is obviously people like jaxon close to the circles that know him well and speak highly of the boy's character.

This forum is great for learning things, I still would like to see his output improve in some areas and his age suggests he should have some upside going forward.

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

Need to be careful of making bulls*** up. Remember the old adage - "bulls*** In = bulls*** Out"

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
saynta
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:I'm seeing a lot of love and respect for Luke Dunstan in this forum which makes me want to see him achieve a good career at St Kilda even more.
There is obviously people like jaxon close to the circles that know him well and speak highly of the boy's character.

This forum is great for learning things, I still would like to see his output improve in some areas and his age suggests he should have some upside going forward.
Luke is likely to be a future club captain or at least, vice captain.

Johnny Member
Saintsational Legend

Vazelos wrote:I'm seeing a lot of love and respect for Luke Dunstan in this forum which makes me want to see him achieve a good career at St Kilda even more.

Dunstan does have a s*** haircut though.

The Recruit
Club Player

Vazelos wrote:
The Recruit wrote:
jaxons wrote:

Sorry for having an opinion, offer some substance and facts instead of shooting people down with condescending posts.
That's what intelligent people do. Look forward to your assessment on things in the future considering you obviously rate yourself better than others. I'm on Level 2 best seat in the house and have been going for quite awhile ( 5th decade of following saints) but I look forward to learning off you when you offer your opinion.
Well from that level you should see how valuable Dunstan is to any team structure, you have the best seats in the house.
Based on other posts in this thread my opinion is shared by most. Dunstan third picked every week behind Steven and Ross.....tackling pressure, clearance work and general leadership outstanding for a player of his age. He is more than good enough to play in a top 4 side....adamant he will captain the saints in the future if not Vice....will be good viewing from level 2 over the next 50 years for you, or maybe us plebs with seats on level three are too far away to tell the good players form the bad?