bontempelli

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainters85
Club Player

bontempelli

not sure if i'll ever get over the fact that we passed on an absolute superstar; just 27 disposals and 2 goals last night

mr six o'clock
Saintsational Legend

Re: bontempelli

You just need luck !

9 out of 10 top 10 draft picks are good players , you just need a touch of luck for your selection to become a superstar .
We had it with Roo
The dogs look like they've got it with the bont .

In red white and black from 73
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

And we're all living in hope that Billings closes the gap real soon

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Can't be upset with not taking Bont - no one would have predicted this level of improvement. He goes 1 easily if redone.

I don't think Billings will ever close or come close to the gap - such the quality that Bontempelli has produced in his three seasons. He's a match winner and in finals already. Such a good player.

Wombat15
Club Player

Retrospective drafting isn't the way to go about it. At the time Bont had only a couple of good games at school footy and was virtually unused at Under 18 Champs. Was expected to be a 5 year project player. Everyone was laughing at the dogs when they took him. i cant recall any mock draft that had him going in the top 10. As people have said a redraft has him going number 1. The other thing is we did overlook cripps as well who would probably go 2. Both had major knocks coming on them into the draft. I can see why we picked billings he was at the time best available and was the perfect replacement for Dal. Now we just have to hope he can be in the top 4 players to come out of that draft class. That 2013 draft is a sneaky contender for super draft 2.0

sainters85
Club Player

I did also see him as the next Dal. Though that hasn't shown yet; he seems to predominantly float around half forward rather than in the midfield

damienc
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Can't be upset with not taking Bont - no one would have predicted this level of improvement. He goes 1 easily if redone.

I don't think Billings will ever close or come close to the gap - such the quality that Bontempelli has produced in his three seasons. He's a match winner and in finals already. Such a good player.

Well said.

Playon
Club Player

Spinner wrote:Can't be upset with not taking Bont - no one would have predicted this level of improvement. He goes 1 easily if redone.

Way too early to make a call on Billings, Some players burst onto the scene and others take time. Gresham for example might have a crappy year next year, doesnt mean he wont make it.

Have a look at Billings v the Doggies for example to show what he's capable of, not to mention he's been under an injury cloud. Will he be as good as
Bont? Who knows. Will he be better? Who knows

One thing I'm confident with him is that we'll see bigger and better things from him, he hasn't reached his ceiling yet, highly skilled player and confident he'll improve by a long way, Currently he's way undersold

70s sainter
Club Player

Billings wont ever be as good as the Bont but thats ok. One player doesnt make a team. i ll just be happy if Billings becomes a very good player because at the moment he is just average. The sides that had pick 5,6 and 7 may not have even picked him so its just one of those what if decisions that will be spoken about for the next ten years. It just looks worse for the saints because we had the pick before and billings had a crap year.

WellardSaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Perth- the best weather in Oz, but the worst rednecks.

the environment at the bulldogs would have influenced Bont's development. I'm not saying doggies are better culture-wise, just different. If he had come to Saints, who knows how he would have been?
Maybe doggies are a great fit for him and his character/style.

You can't say "what if" because its like that movie "sliding doors", nobody will know what might have been.

A real Sainter will pledge allegiance to the ❤🤍🖤 and despise the Pies, the Blues, and the Injectors.
Remember one of the 10 Commandments : Thou shalt have no other team before thee
To the top
SS Life Member

We have a guy who wears No 8.

And we got him with Pick 19 in that Draft, after we got Billings and Dunstan.

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

I think some posters are underselling Billings somewhat who has also had some huge games - game winning ones as well - hopefully he get 100% fit next season

As it stands both are very different players in regard to the roles they play and it likely we just might have a Bont replica in Acres if he keeps on improving

Riewoldt has been absolute superstar and Bont just might one day reach those lofty individual heights but like Roo he is just as likely to never win a Premiership.

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
St Loxton
Club Player

The may rename the Brownlow after he wins number 5.
Seriously though, he has Brownlow winner written all over him.

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

After seeing Bont lead doggies to a prelim at his young age, its hard not to think about what-if's. He is looking great but lets see if he can take them all the way or not.

I've still got a lot of faith in Billings. When he's on song he can go where others can't. He's battling fitness, probably some niggly injuries, playing in different positions and also needs to develop that "I belong" confidence at the top level. When he gets full AFL level ready I think he can be that delicious (thanks Bruce) icing on our cake that will drive oppo coaches crazy. In finals the cream rises to the surface and Billings will be cream.

stonecold
SS Life Member

The next 'Bont' ran around in the TAC Cup this year, unfortunately his coach played him as a key back all year to teach him to defend, which not a bad thing, he went back to his local club and tore it to shreds as a mid fielder in a couple of finals. Hawks are all over him and keeping it quite, if they don't pick him up, he'll come back next year and every club will take notice!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
St Loxton
Club Player

stonecold wrote:The next 'Bont' ran around in the TAC Cup this year, unfortunately his coach played him as a key back all year to teach him to defend, which not a bad thing, he went back to his local club and tore it to shreds as a mid fielder in a couple of finals. Hawks are all over him and keeping it quite, if they don't pick him up, he'll come back next year and every club will take notice!!!!!
Got a name?

samoht
Saintsational Legend
Location: https://www.amazon.com.au/Fugitive-Sold ... B00EO1GCNK

Re: bontempelli.

Billings is a beautiful kick when he is not under pressure - but he doesn't zig zag his way out of traffic or have the leg speed to get into clear space and he doesn't break tackles, which means he more often than not is either forced to handball or to kick hurriedly. We need players that hold onto the ball and create time and space for themselves .Our recruiters need to put a little more thought into their recruiting -make sure the players we recruit tick all the required boxes.

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

Billings will be one of our big improvers next year - along with Acres who will go to the next level.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
stonecold
SS Life Member

St Loxton wrote:
stonecold wrote:The next 'Bont' ran around in the TAC Cup this year, unfortunately his coach played him as a key back all year to teach him to defend, which not a bad thing, he went back to his local club and tore it to shreds as a mid fielder in a couple of finals. Hawks are all over him and keeping it quite, if they don't pick him up, he'll come back next year and every club will take notice!!!!!
Got a name?
Yes, but I'm not prepared to give it out yet!!!!!

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

stonecold wrote:
St Loxton wrote:
Got a name?
Whats the issue?

You will only be telling us who the Hawks are interested in

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
stonecold
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:
stonecold wrote:
St Loxton wrote:
Got a name?
Whats the issue?

You will only be telling us who the Hawks are interested in
Get a enough Criticism on here when I drop names, so as I said,.no more names for the minute!!!!!

Smart posters will work it out!!!!!

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

At the start of the season Billings was outplaying the Bont. I'm more than happy with Billings.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL
SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

CURLY wrote:At the start of the season Billings was outplaying the Bont. I'm more than happy with Billings.
Which season? Must have missed it.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
sainters85
Club Player

SaintPav wrote:
CURLY wrote:At the start of the season Billings was outplaying the Bont. I'm more than happy with Billings.
It was last season, that one game against the western bulldogs. Didn't back it up though

CURLY
Saintsational Legend

SaintPav wrote:
This season early on.

NO IFS OR BUTS HARVS IS KING OF THE AFL