bontempelli

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saynta
Saintsational Legend

Re: bontempelli

loris wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:For all we know, Billings may very well become the cream to a truly delicious cake... patience fellow Sainters..
Patience isn't a virtue some on here possess prwilkie

Just hope with our patience we are not left singing.........

"Someone left the cake out in the rain,
it took so long to bake it
And we'll never have that receipe again.......... Oh nooooo".
Love that song. One of my favorites.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

supersaints wrote:
I think AR might disagree, he has used the forward role to develop players , it's a way to get them into the games high tempo and develop thier skills before they are physical enough to play in the middle.

You would not throw someone of Billings build in his first season in the middle. AR did the same with Gresh this season. Gresh has a more physical AFL ready build. He wasn't wasted early. He showed what he could do in the middle when he went there for bursts later in the season.

Acres and Bont, both had more size and strength to enable them play close to the center in their first season-they should be the ones compared in thier roles.
I think JB will repay the faith of a number three pick.
but again you are comparing Billings with other players on our list to suit
Bontempelli was also played in the forward line early to get a feel and taste - probably all coaches do it.
And I would think a direct comparison between Acres vs Bontempelli is a little unfair given purchase price (and for the record I regard acres very highly)
I think the point is, if I was a current list manager for the saints and was looking for future talent the blueprint you would use for center players is now 190cm+, 90kg, can kick goals, good inside & outside run, good overhead, can run all day
It takes an extraordinary player outside of the "mould" to be the one of the best onballers now

Seeya
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
supersaints wrote:
I think AR might disagree, he has used the forward role to develop players , it's a way to get them into the games high tempo and develop thier skills before they are physical enough to play in the middle.

You would not throw someone of Billings build in his first season in the middle. AR did the same with Gresh this season. Gresh has a more physical AFL ready build. He wasn't wasted early. He showed what he could do in the middle when he went there for bursts later in the season.

Acres and Bont, both had more size and strength to enable them play close to the center in their first season-they should be the ones compared in thier roles.
I think JB will repay the faith of a number three pick.
but again you are comparing Billings with other players on our list to suit
Bontempelli was also played in the forward line early to get a feel and taste - probably all coaches do it.
And I would think a direct comparison between Acres vs Bontempelli is a little unfair given purchase price (and for the record I regard acres very highly)
I think the point is, if I was a current list manager for the saints and was looking for future talent the blueprint you would use for center players is now 190cm+, 90kg, can kick goals, good inside & outside run, good overhead, can run all day
It takes an extraordinary player outside of the "mould" to be the one of the best onballers now
You mean like Nat Fyfe?
You mean like Patrick Cripps?

So no Christian Petracca or Josh Kelly or Caleb Daniel or Angus Brayshaw or Darcy Parish or Luke Dunstan or Adam Treloar or Dylan Shiel or Jaeger O'Meara or Toby Greene or any of the 30+ 'short' mids drafted over the past 2-4 seasons?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

You just take the best players

No matter about the cms

Sam Mitchell is around the mark as the best mid on this generation
180cm
Boomer Harvey a match winner
170cm
Leigh Montagna a star player for a decade (six top 3 b&f finishes)
178cm

Ablett not tall, Selwood not tall, Sheil not tall, Steven not tall.....
The problem with height... Very few tall players are agile. Bont is an exception. I don't consider Bont big in the body though. Quite slender really, very Michael Tuck.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
You mean like Nat Fyfe?

So no Christian Petracca or Josh Kelly or Caleb Daniel or Angus Brayshaw or Darcy Parish or Luke Dunstan or Adam Treloar or Dylan Shiel or Jaeger O'Meara or Toby Greene or any of the 30+ 'short' mids drafted over the past 2-4 seasons?
I just knew there was going to be - but what about...
and fairly certain last we matched wits you argued Parish was a like replacement for Carlisle...

yep you have to go back to Abblett/Swan/Mitchell to find the last true short on-baller - but as I said you have to be exceptional and they are strong body types.
Anyway here goes
Petracca is a "big" player
kelly plays tall
Omeara??? geesh a lot here reckon he's a bit of a hobbled hack
Brayshaw is not short
of that lot Sheil & Kelly may become as I said exceptional
and too early to call on the only truly short fart Caleb Daniels yet

And to be perfectly clear, Im not saying Billings cant be an "exxceptional" brownlow onballer because he is 5cm short
but the trend is certainly there to see

Seeya
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

sunsaint wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
You mean like Nat Fyfe?

and fairly certain last we matched wits you argued Parish was a like replacement for Carlisle...
I'm sure that comment is not directed at me as I haven't ever discussed Parish vs Carlisle with you?

2 Clubs (with 3 picks) passed on Bontempelli.
From reports at the time we were never seriously looking at him with our pick (#3) We rated Kelly and Billings for that pick and were always (apparently) going to take whichever of the 2 was left.
GWS chose (with their 2 picks prior to us) to take Boyd at #1 and Kelly at #2.
Bulldogs thought so highly of Boyd that they're paying him 7 million dollars over 6 years - a hell of a lot more than Bontompelli.

I agree that if the draft was held today then Bont would go #1,
Where would Boyd, Kelly and Billings go if the draft were today?

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend

nah my bad - i think it was Francis

Seeya
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
sunsaint wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
You mean like Nat Fyfe?

I'm sure that comment is not directed at me as I haven't ever discussed Parish vs Carlisle with you?

2 Clubs (with 3 picks) passed on Bontempelli.
From reports at the time we were never seriously looking at him with our pick (#3) We rated Kelly and Billings for that pick and were always (apparently) going to take whichever of the 2 was left.
GWS chose (with their 2 picks prior to us) to take Boyd at #1 and Kelly at #2.
Bulldogs thought so highly of Boyd that they're paying him 7 million dollars over 6 years - a hell of a lot more than Bontompelli.

I agree that if the draft was held today then Bont would go #1,
Where would Boyd, Kelly and Billings go if the draft were today?
Would probably all still be highly ranked, looking at the names from that year.

Some later picks of note :

29 Rory Lobb
32 George Hewett
43 Tom Barrass
44 Aliir Aliir
55 Orazio Fantasia
56 James Sicily
66 Sam Lloyd
74 Jeremy McGovern (Rookie elevation)
76 Kyle Hartigan (Rookie elevation)
90 Dane Rampe (Rookie elevation)

supersaints
Club Player

BigMart wrote:You just take the best players

No matter about the cms

180cm
170cm
178cm

The problem with height... Very few tall players are agile. Bont is an exception. I don't consider Bont big in the body though. Quite slender really, very Michael Tuck.
Agree Bigmart ..At least 99% of the time the clubs select the best available for their wants. However The very vertically challlenged tend to slide down the pecking order. Caleb Daniel was given a pass even though his highlights showed he was a gun. Nothing wrong with Billings hieght as noted there are tons of top players around his size

And the president said " I did not have sex with that woman"
And our former president said " Football is like golf" 

Go Sainters !!!!!
Saint_J
Club Player

Hi hope JB comes good I feel he will. but atm there's no comparison between the two. Bont is an all out star. anyway all clam on the Billings front sure he's not far off a career changing year.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Billings will come good. He just needs to get his confidence back. I actually have big hopes for Darragh Joyce though.

Based on some background info from a mate in Ireland about his character, speed and athleticism, his pedigree, and some encouraging words from Tony74 earlier this year, I have a feeling (hunch or hope; call it what you will) I think we may have plucked a smokey.

A dashing 193cm mid/utility who will develop elite AFL skills quickly. Im hoping he can put himself into contention for a list spot next year.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote:Billings will come good. He just needs to get his confidence back. I actually have big hopes for Darragh Joyce though.

Based on some background info from a mate in Ireland about his character, speed and athleticism, his pedigree, and some encouraging words from Tony74 earlier this year, I have a feeling (hunch or hope; call it what you will) I think we may have plucked a smokey.

A dashing 193cm mid/utility who will develop elite AFL skills quickly. Im hoping he can put himself into contention for a list spot next year.
Who knows. But lets see how he actually goes in some footie games first and whether he can learn to read the play and then know what to do.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
CQ SAINT wrote:Billings will come good. He just needs to get his confidence back. I actually have big hopes for Darragh Joyce though.

Who knows. But lets see how he actually goes in some footie games first and whether he can learn to read the play and then know what to do.
Yeah fair call. Comes from the fastest field sport in the world and stepped in and out of gaelic without a worry when he did play; I have a feeling knowing what to do wont be a problem. The word Tony74 used was 'natural' His hurling rap sheet is dashing, attacking and creative, renowned for play making and 2nd and 3rd efforts running forward.

Its a good start.

Impatient Sainter
Saintsational Legend

I wonder how Trout and his recruitment team feel when they are watching Bontimpelli perform so well?

White Winmar
Saintsational Legend

saynta wrote:
loris wrote:
prwilkinson wrote:For all we know, Billings may very well become the cream to a truly delicious cake... patience fellow Sainters..

What is that song actually about?

I started with nothing and I've got most of it left!
st.byron
Saintsational Legend

White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
loris wrote:

A love affair that ended in a park called MacArthur Park.

thejiggingsaint
Saintsational Legend

Jimmy Webb most overrated songwriter EVER!

St Kilda forever 🔴⚪️⚫️ ( God help me)
Verdun66
SS Hall of Fame

The Bont is a terrific player no doubt. But the drafting can be swings and roundabouts. If a few redrafts were done up the order would go Steven 42, Newnes 37, Acres 19, Ross 25, We used to come out badly when these exercises were done, but our picks have been way better lately. Add in the trades for Bruce and Membrey and we are doing ok. Every team has their 'wish we could have got X instead of y'.

And Billings is going to be just fine,

loris
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:
White Winmar wrote:
saynta wrote:
loris wrote:

A love affair that ended in a park called MacArthur Park.
Possibly symbolic of a Saint supporters lament of his/her lost love at that 'temple' in Jolimont (car) Park in the Spring of 2010? :( :( :( :wink:

loris
Saintsational Legend

thejiggingsaint wrote:Jimmy Webb most overrated songwriter EVER!

Oh no Jiggster, what about Jimmy Webb's greatest song 'Didn't We'? I'm sure the lyrics were written for all of us Saint supporter's after the drawn GF in 2010.

Just read Jimmy Webb's lyrics as 'Old Blue Eyes' croons the Saints lament in 'Didn't We?'

Here 'tis Jiggster, don't get too teared up. :cry: :cry: :cry:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

Impatient Sainter wrote:I wonder how Trout and his recruitment team feel when they are watching Bontimpelli perform so well?
Probably the same way we feel when see you post

And it's BONTOMPELLI

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:
Impatient Sainter wrote:I wonder how Trout and his recruitment team feel when they are watching Bontimpelli perform so well?
Probably the same way we feel when see you post

And it's BONTOMPELLI
Marcus Bontempelli

Perhaps we can just all agree on The Bont :wink:

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
SuperDuper
Club Player

supersaints wrote:
BigMart wrote:You just take the best players

No matter about the cms

180cm
170cm
178cm

Agree Bigmart ..At least 99% of the time the clubs select the best available for their wants. However The very vertically challlenged tend to slide down the pecking order. Caleb Daniel was given a pass even though his highlights showed he was a gun. Nothing wrong with Billings hieght as noted there are tons of top players around his size

plenty of young guns are also short
Jack Viney is also 178cm... gun.... best of the demons midfield
Zach Merret 1.80
Both won B&Fs already

Billings taller than Selwood, Sloane, Ablett etc

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

A lot of Saintsqtional posters over rate Bont and underrate JB. Bont has never played a quarter like JB did against the dogs last year when he got two Brownlow votes.
Bont has been getting credit for his final games, but to me the small doggies have been more crucial to the Dogs wins.

whiskers3614
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:A lot of Saintsqtional posters over rate Bont and underrate JB. Bont has never played a quarter like JB did against the dogs last year when he got two Brownlow votes.
Bont has been getting credit for his final games, but to me the small doggies have been more crucial to the Dogs wins.
Please Barry
Riewoldt has never kicked 10 goals like Adelaide's Tom Lynch.
Surely we can't rate them as rivals let alone equals?

Bont will get Brownlow votes in 10 or more games this year.

Hopefully one day Billings will catch or even surpass him but at the moment it is like comparing Da Vinci and a house-painter!