St Kilda applies for a Womens Football team( now 2020)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Moods
Saintsational Legend

Re: St Kilda applies for a Womens Football team

Laughable to think that just because women are playing football that other women will suddenly want to watch them play.
Wouldn't that be great if that's how women's sports worked.

I think I've flicked over once to women's cricket and wondered why. I could watch stronger standard down the road at my local cricket club.

I highly doubt that they train harder than local leagues either. Most strong local leagues are chock full of ex afl and VFL PLAYERS. They get $1000 a game because ppl actually want to watch them play and sponsors get on board. Women are now getting paid because they are on the coat tails of afl players. Otherwise no one would watch as evidenced by the last 10 years of women's footy.

I would watch women's tennis, women's athletics, women's swimming, cycling etc. Netball

But this is a two bit circus and I'm not sure, other than cheap marketing, what the hell anyone gets out of it

amusingname
Club Player

Moods wrote:Laughable to think that just because women are playing football that other women will suddenly want to watch them play.

I think I've flicked over once to women's cricket and wondered why. I could watch stronger standard down the road at my local cricket club.

I highly doubt that they train harder than local leagues either. Most strong local leagues are chock full of ex afl and VFL PLAYERS. They get $1000 a game because ppl actually want to watch them play and sponsors get on board. Women are now getting paid because they are on the coat tails of afl players. Otherwise no one would watch as evidenced by the last 10 years of women's footy.

I would watch women's tennis, women's athletics, women's swimming, cycling etc. Netball

But this is a two bit circus and I'm not sure, other than cheap marketing, what the hell anyone gets out of it
Not sure what anyone gets out of it? Pretty clear that Women footballers get an elite league to play in.

Obviously you are not the target audience for the league so there is little or no point in trying to convince you of its merit.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

When are they making a professional men's netball league?

Moods
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:When are they making a professional men's netball league?
Haha. They already have one. Good on the blokes for playing and having a go. It's not professional, but the vic team beats the Diamonds every time they play.

Still love watching women's netball though.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

a lot of detail of the Saints Plan

MIXING IT UP: BRAVE NEW ST KILDA FOOTY WORLD
Proposed 2017 'integrated' football department and football services model
​- based on St Kilda winning women's team licence.
- 14 cross-over roles – male/female program responsibilities: general manager football performance, executive assistant to GM football performance, sports science assistant, football services officer, player development co-ordinator, football services officer, head doctor, player development manager, high-performance manager, nutritionist, psychologist, property manager, two trainers.
- 9 new women's AFL team jobs (including two full-time with integration in male program): director of coaching (FT), head coach (FT), three assistant coaches, doctor, performance analyst, physiotherapist, high-performance co-ordinator.
- 24 dedicated men's AFL team roles, as per existing structure: coaching, medical, managemenent

Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z47g1dddS2
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

more than just a Women's Jumper

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/t ... 0a6584a9fd
ST KILDA wants to establish a “talls academy” as part of its women’s football push.

The strategy would maximise football’s appeal to athletes who otherwise might play basketball, netball or volleyball.

“What our research suggested is there’s not a deep talent pool at the moment in the girls game,” Saints football boss Jamie Cox said.

“At the moment, taller girls probably graduate to those sports where being tall you can develop an advantage. We want to give them an alternative option.

“To actually say, you know what, talls can have a really strong effect on our game too, so let’s develop them specifically so there’s a pathway and a real feasible option for tall girls.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Legendary
Club Player

Zero downside, plenty of upside.

Go for it Saints.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

The AFL's pre-eminent female coach says there should be 10 women's teams – not the eight the league is planning – from season launch next year.
Peta Searle, an assistant coach at St Kilda who is set for a new role in a revamped football department if the Saints win a licence, is a recent convert to a larger competition model.

The AFL, dissecting 13 club bids, has projected eight foundation clubs as ideal. Top female footballers, meanwhile, have told the AFL Players Association they believe six teams is the best starting point to maximise strong contests between the richest talent.

Contracted at St Kilda until the end of next season, Searle would continue as elite men's assistant forward coach but also oversee the entire women's program and help coach the new team in some form.
"I think for the development of the game there should be 10 clubs. I'm really strong on that now," she told Fairfax Media.
Read more: http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/s ... z48LliqR5r
Follow us: @theage on Twitter | theageAustralia on Facebook

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:Zero downside, plenty of upside.

Go for it Saints.
Exactly. A little bit disturbed by some of the views posted here.

People can say they're not interested, that's fine. Don't go/watch/support. But your negativity has no place here - or in the real world.

Tell you what - when the AFL introduces a parent/child rule, and 100 games in the Women's AFL gets your child tied to that AFL club, and we have a 17-year old star whose Mum played for St Kilda, we'll be all for it.

I can't wait for it. I can't promise I'll go every week, but, hell, I'd love to see a few curtain raisers.

#TeamAngelica

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

CQ SAINT
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:Laughable to think that just because women are playing football that other women will suddenly want to watch them play.

Moods are you a Saints supporter. If so, under the same rationale you have for not watching Womens football; why do you barrack for St.Kilda.

At my local club we have a state rep female player. She doesnt play for our women's team because she gets flown to Brisbane to play on permits for clubs in a better comp. She could probably represent the state in Soccer, touch football or hockey and is in the top 5 Under 16 players in our club. If she had 43 clones Id watch them play.

mickey
Club Player

I'm a traditionalist & a 47yo male ..... I always thought we had good people leading the Club & I'm yet to see a Premiership !! I love this new group & our CEO ... why ? Because they are making us a family club, bring the family & build the culture !! We had the best draft picks & we failed because of scandals off the field, this group are changing that & yet some "true" Saints supporters are still being negative. It's time for change because the way we've done it since 1966 hasn't worked.

Just sayin.....

terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

mickey wrote:I'm a traditionalist & a 47yo male ..... I always thought we had good people leading the Club & I'm yet to see a Premiership !! I love this new group & our CEO ... why ? Because they are making us a family club, bring the family & build the culture !! We had the best draft picks & we failed because of scandals off the field, this group are changing that & yet some "true" Saints supporters are still being negative. It's time for change because the way we've done it since 1966 hasn't worked.

Just sayin.....
fantastic post

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
bigred
Saintsational Legend

Go for it I say.

As long as it carries with it Mother/Son and Father/Daughter rites of some description. :P :P

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
sendmehomehappy
Club Player

Well I think this is a great idea and sincerely hope the Saints get a licence to field a women's team.

Top level women's sport has been around for years internationally. Would not be many people who don't enjoy women in the Summer and Winter Olympics. Women's golf, tennis, soccer basketball all have fans apart from the mainly women's sports of netball etc.

I recently got a kick from watching a few of the Women's World Cup 20 20 games. The athletes' passion/disappointment/endeavour/skills and excitement was wonderful to see.

I just love the game of Aussie Rules and expect our female team to evolve into a unit that can provide all of the above and really help to grow the club and game.

On an aside, that graphic above of the red and white bandana clad woman with her fist raised reminds me of propaganda artwork from the USSR era and Vietnam circa 80's to present extolling motherhood, hard labour and sacrifice for the fatherland. Very inspiring stuff!

" If thought corrupts language then language can also corrupt thought."

Politics and the English Language George Orwell
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

I'd like to apply as a masseuse

Posting 20 years of holey crap!
minneapolis
Club Player

magnifisaint wrote:I'd like to apply as a masseuse
How about the little-annoying-brother-bra-snapping position?

Has that been filled yet?

Nothing better than a good Dad Joke.
magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

minneapolis wrote:
How about the little-annoying-brother-bra-snapping position?

Has that been filled yet?
I'm willing to give free massages and learn on the job.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

CQ SAINT wrote: Moods are you a Saints supporter. If so, under the same rationale you have for not watching Womens football; why do you barrack for St.Kilda.

At my local club we have a state rep female player. She doesnt play for our women's team because she gets flown to Brisbane to play on permits for clubs in a better comp. She could probably represent the state in Soccer, touch football or hockey and is in the top 5 Under 16 players in our club. If she had 43 clones Id watch them play.
Strange post. I love footy. Good footy. And in the last 20 years since I've been following the saints I have watched some brilliant footy, and loved every minute of it. Yeah I watched some terrible footy as well, but I go to AFL to watch the highest standard. Not sure how this relates to women's footy, but anyway. Never said there aren't any fantastic female athletes out there and there are numerous female sports I enjoy watching. I disagree with the saints going for a women's team on about 5 levels - and I will watch with interest if after the first season, anyone could care less whether they win or lose. People are happy to watch them play in a pre-game, but I will guarantee you as a stand alone spectacle no more than 100 people would watch them play each week.

Will it get us extra sponsors? Maybe. Maybe not. Extra supporters? Maybe but personally I doubt it other than maybe 50-100. Will it cost the club money? I would expect so. Should these women be paid? NO WAY. They have proven NOTHING as athletes.

Saying I'm against women's footy is as silly as saying that someone is against Little League. I love anyone who loves footy. Maybe we should pay the little leaguers as well? Afterall they entertain us at half time.

Furphy
Club Player

Linton Lodger wrote:This is all good & well, but how are our plans for a standalone VFL team going? Getting that up and running asap should be our priority.
This

magnifisaint
Saintsational Legend

They would have done better than the men today!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

http://www.saints.com.au/news/2016-06-1 ... a-nwl-team
Finnis said the St Kilda submission featured a four-stage player pathway plan including placing far greater focus on getting girls aged as young as five into the game to create a critical mass and remove the gaps in playing age groups. It proposed a bayside football hub made up of Moorabbin, Seaford, the Peanut Farm in St Kilda and Trevor Barker Oval which will provide appropriate playing, training and development facilities to grow women’s football. The model also involves true integration with the men’s team including some shared coaching positions, personal development programs and everyone in the department will, ultimately, be reporting into the GM of Football, Jamie Cox
Australian soccer star Steph Catley (right) with Orlando Pride teammate Lianne Sanderson.

"Growing up my first love was AFL and my idol was Lenny Hayes. I wanted to be just like him in every single way. I wanted to play for the St Kilda Football Club. I played AusKick and in the front yard with my brother but that was as far as my AFL pathway allowed me to go because I was a girl. There were no girls leagues so the obvious option was to play soccer. I now play for the national team and love every second of it, but it always makes me think… What if? I don't want to see young girls miss out on following their passion and their dreams just because they're girls. The female footballers of Australia deserve this league and they most definitely deserve to have the option of playing for the mighty Sainters."

– Steph Catley (Australian Matildas, Orlando Pride and Melbourne C

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

decision day tomorrow June 15th from the AFL.

Interesting that Rightly Footscray and melbourne are assumed-- But Collingwood is being assumed by the media... :roll:

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

mickey wrote:I'm a traditionalist & a 47yo male ..... I always thought we had good people leading the Club & I'm yet to see a Premiership !! I love this new group & our CEO ... why ? Because they are making us a family club, bring the family & build the culture !! We had the best draft picks & we failed because of scandals off the field, this group are changing that & yet some "true" Saints supporters are still being negative. It's time for change because the way we've done it since 1966 hasn't worked.

Just sayin.....
Hard to argue with logic

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

To bad 90% of them look like blokes..

St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

We missed out. Fox Sports and The Age both reporting Collingwood and Carlton got the 2 other Vic licences.