Thank You, Michael Nettlefold!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Re: Thank You, Michael Nettlefold!

SaintPav wrote:I wouldn't write off Rossy yet, Sainternist. He's still a good coach and working class boy from Resevoir is a fighter

Netter's incompetence was not by design but it will probably work out better for us.
I am writing him off. He is about to discover the fruits of his labour. Lyon inherited two tip top mature lists full of AA players at their peak. He was simply in the right place at the right time. His players made him look good. His 2005 'Bloods' game plan is a joke.

Not re-signing a bloke with 12 months left seems fairly prudent. Nettlefold cant be blamed for Ross losing money in a bad investment. That was the main reason he left. Wouldn't have helped us if he stayed anyway.

Will be found out. The Emperor has no clothes.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Thu 28 Apr 2016 6:34pm, edited 3 times in total.

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Bottom line is you don't let the coach control list management. In regards to rebuilding,, Lyon is entering u chartered waters, and with his 2009 game plan, may need to reinvent himself in more ways then one

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

If Freo continue with their current downward trend it wont be long before the likes of Weller, Tucker and Balic will want to come back to Melbourne

And I'm sure we will be ready to pounce on at least one or maybe two of these players

There is no doubting that Ross jumped a sinking ship for more money and to chase Premiership glory with a ready built team - of course he had every right to do so but in doing that he showed his true selfish character by walking away from a group of dedicated players who busted a gut for him and club that backed him and his vision to the hilt and gave him his first chance as being a senior coach.

Now some might disagree with me here but someone who has character and selfless virtue would have stayed on and dedicated themselves to rebuilding a team that opened doors for him

Obviously a sense of gratitude and fidelity wasn't exactly - at least then - a top priority for Ro$$

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Ross is a good coach.

Losing him cannot be spun positively, surely?

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Ross is a good coach.

You touched on it yourself - he was a good coach ................... but not a great one!

All teams need a great coach - a coach who has great game day tactics, player development skills, and leadership skills which can inspire a team is great heights

Unfortunately for Ro$$ he seems to be lacking somewhat in certain areas

A good coach .... Yes!

A great coach .... No!

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Fact checker:
He left for money and when he knew our list was cactus. We finished bottom two years later.
He has now driven Freo from top to bottom and lots and lots of people predicted it.
Freo are 0-5 and just lost to Carlton at home. Carlton are very very bad. 0-6 looms.
10 (successive) seasons - 0 flags. 2nd longest stint without a flag after John Northey (12.5 seasons). For the record Northey was able to get Melbourne to a GF, Richmond to 4th and the Bears to a pre-lim.
I would argue Northey was as good as Lyon. Basically equals. Both good coaches I agree.
Can Lyon break Northey's record?

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Yes - correct

That's why I said he was a good coach, and did not say great

Two reasons really
1-and less significant .... He hasn't won a flag (as close as one could get)
2- more importantly .... He is a very poor list coach

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Bet Roberton's glad he's home.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

This is a chance for Rosco to evolve as a coach. Instead of the pressure of inheriting a near ready to go list he can learn what it takes to build a squad with depth and develop young kids confidence and initiative. Roos seems to be willing to play a more attacking style, so Ross should be able to change. Tactically he's a good coach. He helped pioneer frontal pressure, forward press and zoning defences so he should be able to come up with some new tactics and approaches.

Whether he's brave enough to change and let his team take risks and be more attacking is the question. And I don't think he'll get as many picks we as did by bravely trading out some stars in a pre-emptive strike. And do players want to go to Freo with a coach notorious for running players and coaches into the ground with crazy workloads and a boring, grinding play style. Good luck Rossy!

gone fission
Club Player

Con Gorozidis wrote:

Fact checker:
He left for money and when he knew our list was cactus. We finished bottom two years later.
He has now driven Freo from top to bottom and lots and lots of people predicted it.
Freo are 0-5 and just lost to Carlton at home. Carlton are very very bad. 0-6 looms.
10 (successive) seasons - 0 flags. 2nd longest stint without a flag after John Northey (12.5 seasons). For the record Northey was able to get Melbourne to a GF, Richmond to 4th and the Bears to a pre-lim.
I would argue Northey was as good as Lyon. Basically equals. Both good coaches I agree.
Can Lyon break Northey's record?
If you are going to use GF appearances as a measure then Lyon is at least 4 times better than Northey who lost his one and only by 16 goals, the worst GF performance in history of the comp at the time.

Malthouse also went 16 years between flags.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:
skeptic wrote:I always thought ppl were harder on the club for the RL thing then was warranted.

a) he was already under contract for another year
b) it was RL himself that stopped contract talks mid-season

I believe that the latter was calculated as means to try and leverage himself the best offer that he could...

What it all boiled down to was that Freo got him for an offer that I'm not sure we could have matched... but even if we could, RL didn't negotiate that offer. He didn't take it back to the Saints and say you've got 24hours to match this or I'm out.
He correctly identified that Freo were on an upwards trajectory and felt it would be best for him to take the deal... especially with many Saints at the end of their careers as he put it.

Personally, I think that whilst the Saints were made to look like amateurs and RL threw us under the bus to take the heat off himself... Lyon's mindset was always to try and get a better offer and he did.

Personally I didn't think then, and don't think now that the club really stuffed up in the slightest

That's got to be one of the biggest bulls*** narratives I've ever read. Just a made up story to justify the club stuffing up.

The clause was in the contract - do you reckon ross asked for it given he is so driven by money? No, It was for the benefit of the club and a blind monkey could see that they created a scenario where they believed they could not lose. They allowed him to leave legally, allowed another club to make a more attractive offer and had absolutely no plan for it happening.

Time to get over it and stop making up crap to justify it to your boring simple lives.
Sorry but this is a really silly post...

First of all, there's nothing to get over. I was one of the few that was quite happy to lose RL.

As Bunk will attest to... I thought RL's dismal coaching in 09 contributed heavily to us losing the flag and i spent the majority of 2010 complaining about what I thought were irrational selections... By 2011 i was way out on RL.
People are jumping on the "RL looks like a better coach then he is because he was gifted lists" bandwagon now... Rightly or wrongly as time will prove, That was my view nearly 5 years ago.

But to bring it back to the topic on hand... What am i making up?

RL stopped contract negotiations in mid 2011. That's a fact. Not disputable.

The club were negotiating a deal with him... And thought they had secured him. That's a fact. Not disputable.

He enlisted with a new agent behind his then agents back and negotiated a back room deal. Again, that's a fact. Not disputable.

So how does this play out... One of several outcomes has to occur. They are
a) He negotiates a deal with Freo and signs it without giving the club a chance to match it - what I believe happened
b) He lets the club know of Freos offer but they don't match it - doubt this is true as the club thought they had him
c) He let the club know, the increased the offer snd he declined - no evidence of this

So how does the club sign him? They can't. You can yammer on about the clause as much as you want but if he doesn't sign he doesn't sign. They can't make him.
RL clearly wanted to weigh his options and when the opportunity with Freo came up, it was too good to pass up. And i believe the upward trajectory of Freo is essential in that... Otherwise why doesn't he give St.Kilda an opportunity to match or increase it's offer?

And on a side note... You know as little of the rest of us and I bet that your pbly a pretty small person if you feel the need to get personal when people are voice their opinions... Especially when what you offer is jacks#!t in return

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:Yes - correct

That's why I said he was a good coach, and did not say great

Two reasons really
1-and less significant .... He hasn't won a flag (as close as one could get)
2- more importantly .... He is a very poor list coach
So losing him can be spun positively :wink:

bigred
Saintsational Legend

skeptic wrote:
Spinner wrote:
skeptic wrote:I always thought ppl were harder on the club for the RL thing then was warranted.

a) he was already under contract for another year
b) it was RL himself that stopped contract talks mid-season

I believe that the latter was calculated as means to try and leverage himself the best offer that he could...

What it all boiled down to was that Freo got him for an offer that I'm not sure we could have matched... but even if we could, RL didn't negotiate that offer. He didn't take it back to the Saints and say you've got 24hours to match this or I'm out.
He correctly identified that Freo were on an upwards trajectory and felt it would be best for him to take the deal... especially with many Saints at the end of their careers as he put it.

Personally, I think that whilst the Saints were made to look like amateurs and RL threw us under the bus to take the heat off himself... Lyon's mindset was always to try and get a better offer and he did.

Personally I didn't think then, and don't think now that the club really stuffed up in the slightest

That's got to be one of the biggest bulls*** narratives I've ever read. Just a made up story to justify the club stuffing up.

The clause was in the contract - do you reckon ross asked for it given he is so driven by money? No, It was for the benefit of the club and a blind monkey could see that they created a scenario where they believed they could not lose. They allowed him to leave legally, allowed another club to make a more attractive offer and had absolutely no plan for it happening.

Time to get over it and stop making up crap to justify it to your boring simple lives.
Sorry but this is a really silly post...

First of all, there's nothing to get over. I was one of the few that was quite happy to lose RL.

As Bunk will attest to... I thought RL's dismal coaching in 09 contributed heavily to us losing the flag and i spent the majority of 2010 complaining about what I thought were irrational selections... By 2011 i was way out on RL.
People are jumping on the "RL looks like a better coach then he is because he was gifted lists" bandwagon now... Rightly or wrongly as time will prove, That was my view nearly 5 years ago.

But to bring it back to the topic on hand... What am i making up?

RL stopped contract negotiations in mid 2011. That's a fact. Not disputable.

The club were negotiating a deal with him... And thought they had secured him. That's a fact. Not disputable.

He enlisted with a new agent behind his then agents back and negotiated a back room deal. Again, that's a fact. Not disputable.

So how does this play out... One of several outcomes has to occur. They are
a) He negotiates a deal with Freo and signs it without giving the club a chance to match it - what I believe happened
b) He lets the club know of Freos offer but they don't match it - doubt this is true as the club thought they had him
c) He let the club know, the increased the offer snd he declined - no evidence of this

So how does the club sign him? They can't. You can yammer on about the clause as much as you want but if he doesn't sign he doesn't sign. They can't make him.
RL clearly wanted to weigh his options and when the opportunity with Freo came up, it was too good to pass up. And i believe the upward trajectory of Freo is essential in that... Otherwise why doesn't he give St.Kilda an opportunity to match or increase it's offer?

And on a side note... You know as little of the rest of us and I bet that your pbly a pretty small person if you feel the need to get personal when people are voice their opinions... Especially when what you offer is jacks#!t in return
Well, that's pretty much it in a nutshell.

So my dislike of Ross Lyon is well and truly justified.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Told ya Lyon was no good.

Excellent coach in the sense that he gets the players doing exactly what he wants them to do.

The problem is, and always was, that his strategy for winning flags is wrong. Flawed.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Unless Freo have a miraculous win this week their season is sunk. You don't come back from 0-6.

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:Told ya Lyon was no good.

Excellent coach in the sense that he gets the players doing exactly what he wants them to do.

The problem is, and always was, that his strategy for winning flags is wrong. Flawed.

Jesus! Roger.....you're alive.. :) :)

Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

st.byron wrote:

Jesus! Roger.....you're alive.. :) :)
Indeed! Welcome back, Rodger Fox!

I seem to recall many forum goers getting stuck into him after the 2010 QF, because he wrote us off beforehand. Nevertheless, it's good to have the old geezer back.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

OMG WELCOME BACK

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
asiu
Saintsational Legend

lol
... he never left u muppets.

.name the ways , thought manipulates the State of Presence away.

.tipara waranta kani nina-tu.
Harvey To Hayes
Club Player

freely wrote:Speaking as just another sorry toerag with a boring, simple life, I also love seeing Freo lose. Watching Ross Lyon squirm in the press conferences week after week warms my sad, childish heart. I don't think my position is particularly strange: he walked out on us; I don't forgive him. Let's face it - getting all het up about anything to do with a football game is not the hallmark of mature sophistication. Childish flag-waving is the whole point!

Call it sour grapes (which it is!) but I'm also not minding Goddard's predicament.
But IMHO the lingering rancour exists because he walked out on us after initiating that whole 'us against the world' attitude and made us all buy into 'The Bubble' and 'Saints Footy' when in reality he clearly didn't give two s***s about St Kilda Football Club and was happy to backdoor us and leave by a contract loophole at the first opportunity. Plus my memory of the event has us dealing with his agent in good faith on contract negotiations - even agreeing on terms for an extension - all while he was off going behind both parties' backs and dealing with the Dockers on the sly. Whatever. I too am enjoying watching them lose but then never cared much for Freo anyway...

The future's so bright I've got to wear shades...
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

WindSister wrote:lol
We were referring to him not posting all that time, Einstein.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Sanctorum
Club Player

My recollection is that Lyon left St Kilda for 2 reasons, already mentioned in other posts: after reportedly sustaining a serious financial loss he was in desperate need of a big pay-packet, which Fremantle willingly provided, unlikely to be matched by the Saints as the team was in decline. Secondly, he would be aware that in the modern era, with the exception of Malthouse and Bomber Thompson, most coaches only survive for 5 or 6 years at best without claiming the Main Prize. I also clearly recall that he was severely blasted by the footy media for jumping from a sinking ship to dry land.

Will Freo, and importantly, Freo supporters, give Lyon the 5 years that are now needed to get their team back into Premiership contention? History suggests this is most unlikely, because unlike Malthouse and Thompson, Lyon has not displayed any inclination, let alone ability, to build a team from the bottom up, and short of a miraculous reinvention his future looks extremely grim.....

It is therefore not at all surprising that Saints supporters loathe and despise Ross Lyon and take a perverse delight in his misfortunes, that's what being a passionate supporter is all about!

"I am an old man and have known a great many troubles, but most of them never happened."

"Life would be infinitely happier if we could only be born at the age of eighty and gradually approach eighteen."

Mark Twain (1835 - 1910) American writer and humorist
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

His 2nd post since December 2013.

The other post was almost a year ago.

And I love the muppet. Gonzo the Great my personal favourite.

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

His 2nd post since December 2013.

The other post was almost a year ago.

And I love the muppet. Gonzo the Great my personal favourite.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

One of the all time great posters.