Jarryn

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

To the top
SS Life Member

Re: Jarryn

You mis-represent.

1) With Cahill, he was Drafted as a key position forward from Sturt (Under 18's) - and in the VFL kicked some "bags" of goals - up to 6 from memory.

BUT, he was never given a "shot" at AFL football when we required further tall options in attack to take pressure off Riewoldt - became disenchanted, lost interest, was de-listed, returned to Sturt to play a couple of games and gave football away.

IF you Draft a player, surely you have a look at them in the heat of the kitchen?

So that was my "beef" over Cahill - and others.

We Drafted kids and we lost them without ever really knowing because they were not given the opportunity or, in the case of Lynch, they were not given an opportunity to play in the position they played when they attracted attention and were Drafted by St Kilda.

What a waste.

Further, in all sport, you pick a kid when he is in form, not when he is out of form and, if you have kicked 6 in a VFL match you are in form - and opportunity should have been given then.

Get it?

Cost St Kilda premierships.

2) Milne, whilst his record speaks in terms of goals, he was a liability further afield than being able to have a shot on goal (except in Grand Finals he missed his fancy shots when we needed to drill it not dribble it), lacked defensive pressure and the game (and St Kilda's List requirements) had moved past him. No doubt we could have traded him to GWS when Sheedy was there and, in return, got someone who could have positively contributed to mid-field rotations which is where games of footy are won because it is mid-fields that see the ball in your goal scoring regions more often that the other side.

In terms of recruiting and trading, you look for elite - and there is no compromise as you turn and turn your List. The Hawthorn guy mentioned came from Port Adelaide where other members of his family played.

IF you are going to throw your hands up and say that the class of player you want is not out there you may as well give up and fold the Club.

You work and you work and you work and you scour and you scour and you scour - I was once involved with a footy Club which bought house and employed a House-Mother because they identified kids as young as 14 and bought them into the Club system from all around the State as boarders - and let them play their footy initially at the schools the Club enrolled them at.

One who followed this path was Phillip Carman (his Mother was the House-Mother), and others from that production line included Neil Craig (plus plenty of others who were right up there with those two).

That was the industry.

You do not compromise if your objective is success.

Successful Clubs are successful for a reason.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Geary would have been awesome in the 90s.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:Geary would have been awesome in the 90s.
He would've only been a little kid! Image

dragit
Saintsational Legend

Tl/Dr

I think the club will continue to look for fast, skillful, creative players… for positions all over the ground.

dragit
Saintsational Legend

In the meantime, Geary will work his way towards 200 AFL games… working in tandem with players like Savage who is a lovely kick but a little loose defensively.

The_Merchant
Club Player

A mate who follows another side arrived late on Sunday, about half way through the second quarter, and just as he sat down and looked up a saints player drilled a 30mtr pass with pin point accuracy to another Saint on the boundary line. He said geez that was a great pass. The kicker was J Geary.

His skills are nowhere near as bad as you would guess from what you read on here.

Finished 5th in the Trevor Barker last year and his highly valued by his team mates and coaches. Pity our supporters can't seem to see past the occasional miss kick under pressure.

http://m.saints.com.au/news/2016-03-10/ ... g-with-him

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
To the top
SS Life Member

The line that he finished 5th in the B&F last year does not cut it with me.

The FACT that Geary finished 5th is the reason we are mired near the bottom of the ladder.

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

To the top wrote:You mis-represent.

1) With Cahill, he was Drafted as a key position forward from Sturt (Under 18's) - and in the VFL kicked some "bags" of goals - up to 6 from memory.

BUT, he was never given a "shot" at AFL football when we required further tall options in attack to take pressure off Riewoldt - became disenchanted, lost interest, was de-listed, returned to Sturt to play a couple of games and gave football away.

IF you Draft a player, surely you have a look at them in the heat of the kitchen?

So that was my "beef" over Cahill - and others.

We Drafted kids and we lost them without ever really knowing because they were not given the opportunity or, in the case of Lynch, they were not given an opportunity to play in the position they played when they attracted attention and were Drafted by St Kilda.

What a waste.

Further, in all sport, you pick a kid when he is in form, not when he is out of form and, if you have kicked 6 in a VFL match you are in form - and opportunity should have been given then.

Get it?

Cost St Kilda premierships.

2) Milne, whilst his record speaks in terms of goals, he was a liability further afield than being able to have a shot on goal (except in Grand Finals he missed his fancy shots when we needed to drill it not dribble it), lacked defensive pressure and the game (and St Kilda's List requirements) had moved past him. No doubt we could have traded him to GWS when Sheedy was there and, in return, got someone who could have positively contributed to mid-field rotations which is where games of footy are won because it is mid-fields that see the ball in your goal scoring regions more often that the other side.

In terms of recruiting and trading, you look for elite - and there is no compromise as you turn and turn your List. The Hawthorn guy mentioned came from Port Adelaide where other members of his family played.

IF you are going to throw your hands up and say that the class of player you want is not out there you may as well give up and fold the Club.

You work and you work and you work and you scour and you scour and you scour - I was once involved with a footy Club which bought house and employed a House-Mother because they identified kids as young as 14 and bought them into the Club system from all around the State as boarders - and let them play their footy initially at the schools the Club enrolled them at.

One who followed this path was Phillip Carman (his Mother was the House-Mother), and others from that production line included Neil Craig (plus plenty of others who were right up there with those two).

That was the industry.

You do not compromise if your objective is success.

Successful Clubs are successful for a reason.

I disagree with you Milne, but. I think your point Cahill is a very good one...

I'm not suggesting that Paul was the definite superstar in the making that got away... But in his last season with us, he was a young key forward playing decent footy in the 2s. Meanwhile, in the seniors we desperately needed another forward... Kosi was Kosi and Roo was hobbling along having his knee drained of fluid every week.
He had a few really good games in the ressies too and still didn't get a shot.

I just don't think you can realistically hope to develop players like that.

It's very easy to say well our recruiting was rubbish and he would not have made it anyway. I reckon that's our throw away line to hide how bad our development really was.

Adelaide were spewing when then lost Fergus Watts... Spewing. We delisted him 2 years later. Was never good enough we said. Bloody nepotism.

Then you hear stories about how when WCE first got Dean Cox, a few of the assistant coaches thought he was the most unco player they had ever seen...

Sometimes i wonder what would have happened if we drafted Cyril Rioli ahead of McEvoy... Would Cyril have been a good player for us or would we have called him a lazy inconsistent player and cut him after he played 5 games in 2 years.

Personally that's why i don't rate Lyon as highly as most... It's not just turning good players into greater players that gets you flags. It's turning average players into good ones too.

To the top
SS Life Member

Yes, Adelaide were "spewing" at losing Watts.

The real problem there was injury - and that happens.

stonecold
SS Life Member

#gosaintas wrote:He just has to go. He's a liability
How's this one working out for ya?????

Don't jumper on Sinclairs Bandwagon chief, you did that with Eli and where's he now, Port Melbourne!!!!!

PS. We all them wrong sometimes, don't we!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

dragit wrote:In the meantime, Geary will work his way towards 200 AFL games… working in tandem with players like Savage who is a lovely kick but a little loose defensively.
Savage has a lovely looking kick but for some reason has become amazingly adept and not actually hitting his intened target with those kicks. It's a mystery to me how he does it but yet ...

Go you red, black & white warriors
Saintmatt
SS Life Member

The_Merchant wrote:A mate who follows another side arrived late on Sunday, about half way through the second quarter, and just as he sat down and looked up a saints player drilled a 30mtr pass with pin point accuracy to another Saint on the boundary line. He said geez that was a great pass. The kicker was J Geary.

His skills are nowhere near as bad as you would guess from what you read on here.

Finished 5th in the Trevor Barker last year and his highly valued by his team mates and coaches. Pity our supporters can't seem to see past the occasional miss kick under pressure.

That's true but jeez, talk about finding an example in isolation to back up a point. I think you'll find Gear's disposal efficiency has only ever reached Champion Data's average rating. That's not wonderful - especially as a back where a turnover kills you.

That he is valued internally is not what's about. I admire him greatly as a leader, for being eternally brave/selfless and a nice human being. But not so much as a Captain (would like to be proved wrong in time) and certainly not as a skilled footballer who's limitations often cost us momentum and goals against.

Go you red, black & white warriors
The_Merchant
Club Player

Saintmatt wrote:
The_Merchant wrote:A mate who follows another side arrived late on Sunday, about half way through the second quarter, and just as he sat down and looked up a saints player drilled a 30mtr pass with pin point accuracy to another Saint on the boundary line. He said geez that was a great pass. The kicker was J Geary.

That's true but jeez, talk about finding an example in isolation to back up a point. I think you'll find Gear's disposal efficiency has only ever reached Champion Data's average rating. That's not wonderful - especially as a back where a turnover kills you.

That he is valued internally is not what's about. I admire him greatly as a leader, for being eternally brave/selfless and a nice human being. But not so much as a Captain (would like to be proved wrong in time) and certainly not as a skilled footballer who's limitations often cost us momentum and goals against.
Turnovers kill you no matter where you play. It is just more obvious in the backline. Poor kicking in the forward line has cost us way more this year than poor kicking in the backline. Gears does not turn it over as much as quite a few of our midfielders and forwards.

If at first you don't succeed, sky diving is not for you.
To the top
SS Life Member

Averaging 16 disposals a game in 2017 - and spent some time in the mid field during one game.

Most possessions were 22 last week with the least being 11 in Round 2.

He has gone 20, 11, 12, 17, 14 and 22.

Proph3t of egan
Club Player

To the top wrote:Averaging 16 disposals a game in 2017 - and spent some time in the mid field during one game.

Most possessions were 22 last week with the least being 11 in Round 2.

He has gone 20, 11, 12, 17, 14 and 22.
is that good or bad for a small lockdown defender?

Fortius quo Fidelius means Strength through Loyalty. . . I think
terry smith rules
SS Hall of Fame

Saintmatt wrote:

Ok 2016 StK disposal efficiency as a team 75.3 the highest in the comp. Geary d/e in 2016 78.3!!! By definition I would say well above average , so not sure where your stats are from
#lovethegears

" A few will never give up on you. When you go back out on the field, those are the people I want in your minds. Those are the people I want in your hearts."

— Coach Eric Taylor - Friday Night Lights
stonecold
SS Life Member

Just proves, don't have to look pretty to be effective!!!!!

Carnt understand all the keyboard cowboys knocking our skipper, whom, might add was appointed by our players!!!!! Good enough for them, good enough for me!!!!!

'Cause StoneCold Said So'!!!!!

We will be great again once Billy is back playing!!!!!

The 'Last Post', it's the gift that keeps giving 📯📯📯📯📯
SuperDuper
Club Player

stonecold wrote:Just proves, don't have to look pretty to be effective!!!!!

Carnt understand all the keyboard cowboys knocking our skipper, whom, might add was appointed by our players!!!!! Good enough for them, good enough for me!!!!!
with you on htis one Stonecold

Geary is in fantastic form. If the ball is in his area, he gets it.
Just does not lose battles (only ones I have seen him lose this year is a couple of times outmarked when forced to cover a tall.. ie trying to cover for someone else )

loris
Saintsational Legend

SuperDuper wrote:

Just does not lose battles (only ones I have seen him lose this year is a couple of times outmarked when forced to cover a tall.. ie trying to cover for someone else )
Yes it's usually covering for a team mate when he's outmarked. And he can still usually cover his own man, who is more times than not a most damaging, slippery small forward. I'm sure some posters don't see how far he's run at times to cover for a team mate - he's incredible at it. Love it when I go to see a match live and can follow his movements around the ground.

Agree also with Stonecold - his team mates are so much more aware of Gears value to the team, than 'keyboard warriors' who possibly only ever played primary school footy, if that.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I thought Geary improved last year.

And this year he appears to have stepped have stepped up another notch, or perhaps I should have said gear.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
saynta
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
SuperDuper wrote:

Yes it's usually covering for a team mate when he's outmarked. And he can still usually cover his own man, who is more times than not a most damaging, slippery small forward. I'm sure some posters don't see how far he's run at times to cover for a team mate - he's incredible at it. Love it when I go to see a match live and can follow his movements around the ground.

Agree also with Stonecold - his team mates are so much more aware of Gears value to the team, than 'keyboard warriors' who possibly only ever played primary school footy, if that.
Plus one. :D

To the top
SS Life Member

"small, lock down defender"

Same as "small, defensive forward".

We are wasting positions playing players carrying those descriptions and credentials.

The best teams do not select players because of such credentials.

EVERY player needs to be able to "lock down" their opponent - and contribute going the other way.

Geary's equal in the GWS side is probably Shaw.

The same Shaw who killed us the last time we played GWS.

Therein lies the difference.

We must close that gap.

timma

To the top wrote:"small, lock down defender"

Same as "small, defensive forward".

We are wasting positions playing players carrying those descriptions and credentials.

The best teams do not select players because of such credentials.

EVERY player needs to be able to "lock down" their opponent - and contribute going the other way.

Geary's equal in the GWS side is probably Shaw.

The same Shaw who killed us the last time we played GWS.

Therein lies the difference.

We must close that gap.

Have Shaw play on Betts, Wingard, Toby Greene etc and see how he fares. You bring a player into the team to play on Shaw, not the other way around (Nathan Wright for example).

Shaw probably has more of a defensive game than most of those half back quarterback types, but it isn't comparable to Geary

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

What about that tackle on Patton. Talk about a team lifter

Bluthy
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:What about that tackle on Patton. Talk about a team lifter
That was huge. TAckling is huge in modern footy and if you want an example for other players to follow, it doesn't get any bigger and more determined than that. Gears stuck to him like that face hugger thing from alien.

Gears is slowly turning me around. He's just so damn hard at everything he does that it clearly inspires the team. And honestly doesn't do a lot of clangers anymore (will never be a brilliant kick but seems to be a man who "knows his limitations" and doesn't overreach anymore. Whether we can reach the ver top echelons without more good kicking from the back half is still a question. But as a skipper he is leading by example on the field with toughness and sacrificial plays. You know he will give everything he's got and then some out there in every game. Thats a great standard setter to have.